As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Golden Globes

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Haha "eventually"

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    did anyone decide if Steve Carrell stiff-arming Ricky Gervais was in good fun

I have heard apparently not

Apparently he is not speaking to him

cite plz

I don't have a source

That's why I said I have heard, rather than citing it in the first place

As well as overusing the word apparently

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    another great part is

the one thing in common with all the reviews (mostly negative btw)

they had a problem with it being 85 minutes

a film about a living tire that kills people

and people aren't pissed at how stupid awesome it is, they're pissed at how long it is

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

who was fucking high when they ok'd this

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

cite plz

I don't have a source

but then who did you hear it from

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i find it weird that people think the mean jokes to gervais were serious. he obviously went after people he thought could take it, and they dished back because of that. plus most quotes from people not in the hfpa have been pretty positive (all kinds here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1348006/Golden-Globes-2011-Has-Ricky-Gervais-written-Hollywood-ending.html )

satansfingers on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

who was fucking high when they ok'd this

I don't know but I want to smoke with them

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i find it weird that people think the mean jokes to gervais were serious. he obviously went after people he thought could take it, and they dished back because of that. plus most quotes from people not in the hfpa have been pretty positive (all kinds here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1348006/Golden-Globes-2011-Has-Ricky-Gervais-written-Hollywood-ending.html )

Nobody who makes Tom Cruise jokes could ever survive in Hollywood, man

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also gervais has made it clear when not doing a bit that he 100% is happy for and even agrees with steve carell's decision to move on so it would be pretty ludicrous for carell to not be able to take a swipe about it

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

cite plz

I don't have a source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq4qlOCIdQc&feature=related

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The reactions to this are going to be interesting reads. Like I can't say I'd fault RDJ or Sheen for being a little upset, but at the same time this year's Golden Globes were the best they've been in years. Maybe the best awards shows have been in years.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

cite plz

I don't have a source

My friend Donny

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i honestly would be surprised if anyone he insulted who was there in person was genuinely upset (maybe angelina jolie), especially RDJ who jokes about having been in prison with some regularity

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i honestly would be surprised if anyone he insulted who was there in person was genuinely upset (maybe angelina jolie), especially RDJ who jokes about having been in prison with some regularity

I certainly hope he wasn't, but of course you never know, this article makes it seem like he was, but the whole thing reads like it's slightly biased in favour of inciting extra controversy (go figure).
    And speaking backstage after the show, [Robert Downey Junior] added: 'I think it's great to be funny, but it's just better if you can do it without hurting people.'

Again, that's just from the one article I've read so far, which based on the title alone shows a pretty clear slant against Gervais, so I wouldn't be surprised either way, I guess.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Nobody who makes Tom Cruise jokes could ever survive in Hollywood, man

Especially jokes about him being gay, dude goes apeshit when people call him gay, probably because of his lifelong commitment and considerable financial investment to hiding his gayness.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i attempted to carefully exclude people not poking back at him/people not present, because yeah somehow i don't think charlie sheen or tom cruise or john travolta were happy with how it all went

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Here's one from the Canadian Press. Pretty supportive tone, unsurprisingly, given that Canadians will apologize if you step on their foot.

Gervais' own blog is something I would like to trust.
    "Ricky wrote:
    I enjoyed the Globes more this year. I think I had better gags. More along the lines of the Mel Gibson one last year.

Obviously the rumour that the organizers stopped me going out on stage for an hour is rubbish. I did every link I was scheduled to do. The reason why the gaps were uneven is because when I got the rundown I was allowed to choose who I presented to. I obviously chose the spots that I had the best gags for. They couldn't move around the order but I could move around however I wanted.

All the same conspiracy theories as last year too... "So and so was offended"... "hasn't been invited back yet"... exactly the same as last time. "Paul McCartney was furious"... no he wasn't. And nor was Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. I was drinking with them after.

Why do people have to embellish? They're allowed to say they hated it. They're allowed to say they didn't find it funny, that it was tasteless, over the top, or whatever. But why do they speculate and make stuff up?

Don't worry, I know the answer. Because it's more interesting than "it went fine and some people won some awards and then went to a party". But that's all that happened.

Actually, I see what they mean. Boring. So here's what really happened. Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone started a fight with me but Alec Baldwin and Mark Walberg stepped in and helped me out. That's what happened.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    charlie sheen's never happy though

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i enjoyed the subsequent post on his blog that included
    Can't wait for the people who thought it was over the top to see my stand-up shows. Fuck me, they will shit themselves.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At the expense of ruining the fun regarding Rubber, coming up with a good trailer and a tag-line doesn't make a good film.

It just makes you Roger Corman.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Corman once joked he could make a film about the fall of the Roman Empire with two extras and a sagebrush.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah "joked."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I found it interesting in the Canadian Press article how the ratings for the Golden Globes were the top rated NBC prime time entertainment telecast among young adults since last year's golden globes.

That's a lot of caveats, it seems. How many such programs are there in a year? Still, 17 Million viewers doesn't seem so bad.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At the expense of ruining the fun regarding Rubber, coming up with a good trailer and a tag-line doesn't make a good film.

It just makes you Roger Corman.

Yeah but Roger Corman knew how to make some serious money

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i imagine the rest of the top 10 are all sunday night football

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And just in case we missed it,

The Evolution of Nic Cage's Hair

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mr. Peanut doesn't get upset about a couple witty jabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBE3mby0p6M&feature=player_embedded

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And just in case we missed it,

The Evolution of Nic Cage's Hair

beautiful

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's not how Mr. Peanut sounds! He's a classy British legume! Or, failing that, Sidney Poitier.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    THEY CALL ME MR. PEANUT!

BusterK on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Is that not the perfect casting??

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just watched the Steve Carell bit and that was hells of scripted

Gervais didn't go over to greet any of the other presenters, he did it with Carell because they clearly had to stage this little bit

Carell's doing that deadpan face he's so good at and Gervais does the really exaggerated shrug and throwing his hands up

It was clearly their little joke, and I thought it was pretty funny too

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Here's one from the Canadian Press. Pretty supportive tone, unsurprisingly, given that Canadians will apologize if you step on their foot.

Gervais' own blog is something I would like to trust.
    "Ricky wrote:
    I enjoyed the Globes more this year. I think I had better gags. More along the lines of the Mel Gibson one last year.

Obviously the rumour that the organizers stopped me going out on stage for an hour is rubbish. I did every link I was scheduled to do. The reason why the gaps were uneven is because when I got the rundown I was allowed to choose who I presented to. I obviously chose the spots that I had the best gags for. They couldn't move around the order but I could move around however I wanted.

All the same conspiracy theories as last year too... "So and so was offended"... "hasn't been invited back yet"... exactly the same as last time. "Paul McCartney was furious"... no he wasn't. And nor was Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. I was drinking with them after.

Why do people have to embellish? They're allowed to say they hated it. They're allowed to say they didn't find it funny, that it was tasteless, over the top, or whatever. But why do they speculate and make stuff up?

Don't worry, I know the answer. Because it's more interesting than "it went fine and some people won some awards and then went to a party". But that's all that happened.

Actually, I see what they mean. Boring. So here's what really happened. Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone started a fight with me but Alec Baldwin and Mark Walberg stepped in and helped me out. That's what happened.

Man, I really want to drink with Tim Allen and Tom Hanks...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes I wish I was a simpler man, Sweeney. . .

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The King's Speech was totally amazing.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ricky Gervais killed the birds, octopi, fish, and cows

They were so offended they all died out of shock

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I just watched the Steve Carell bit and that was hells of scripted

Gervais didn't go over to greet any of the other presenters, he did it with Carell because they clearly had to stage this little bit

Carell's doing that deadpan face he's so good at and Gervais does the really exaggerated shrug and throwing his hands up

It was clearly their little joke, and I thought it was pretty funny too

See this is how I interpreted it too

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2011
    steve carrell doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to get super pissy about one remark at an awards show anyways

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    The King's Speech was totally amazing.

totally agreed

give it all the awards

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg