As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SUUuuuUUPER MEAT BOY!] Level editor beta released on Steam!

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Do you think you are good at video games?

Like, really really good? Better than Billy Mitchell?

Okay, bad example.

Well Super Meat Boy would like to have a word with you.
super_meat_boy_special_edition_pc_box_art_dave_rapoza_team_meat.jpg

This game is hard. Fucking. Core. You'll be reading through this thread having played the first couple of levels and say man, fuck Josh. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Well first of all, don't interrupt me. It's rude. Secondly, fuck you guy. This game will eat your balls and then shit them onto your mama's eyeballs.

And that's just a taste of what Super Meat Boy is going to thrust upon you. Seriously, this game will cut a hole in your chair and swing a heavy thing at your balls like in that movie with that one guy. And you will like it.

But for those who stick it out, you will find yourself performing amazing aerial feats. Meat Boy will fly through levels with buzzsaws shaving the pixels right next to you, seemingly impossible jumps performed and all bandages retrieved.

Oh, how did I get this far without mentioning the story? You're Meat Boy. Dr. Fetus, who nobody likes, steals Bandage Girl. You have to rescue her.

Along the way, you will confront spikes, saws, gears, fans, salt, missiles, homing mouth thingies, maggots, and a whole shitload more. Everything kills you in one hit. When you die, you go back to the beginning of the level, but this is good as the action is fast-paced and there's no loading after a death. Just more death, over and over, until you get it the fuck right one time, which is the only thing that Super Meat Boy demands of you.

Bandages can be retrieved, but they tend to make a level way more difficult in some way. Die after grabbing one, and you start over without it. It's brutal but that's what you signed on for when you became a god damn man (even if you are a woman).

Get enough bandages and you unlock some groovy characters from indie gaming legend. Here's the big list: (red means PC exclusive, green means XBLA exclusive, white means available on both)
Meat Boy
Bandage Girl
Brownie
Commander Video
Flywrench
Jill
Ogmo
The Kid (I Wanna Be the Guy)
Meat Ninja
Alien Hominid
Gish
Pink Knight (Castle Crashers)
Tim (Braid)
Spelunky
The Ninja (N+)

Captain Viridian
Goo Ball (from World of Goo)
Headcrab
Josef
Naija
Runman
Steve from Minecraft
Tofu Boy

Right now this game is only available on XBLA and PC. Unfortunately, a Wii version was in the works but Nintendo is really restrictive with their digital distro requirements and nobody seems to want to publish a full retail version of this game.

And there are leaderboards!

We'll be getting a level editor sometime January 2011 too, so we can all make horrible levels for each other. The editor is supposedly capable of creating anything in the regular game with the exception of bosses. You'll need to be able to beat your own level (or get a friend to do so) before they can be uploaded.

Have patience, train your twitch muscles, and you will accomplish what some gamers can only dream of. Or you can be a failure who never gets to bone the opposite sex. It's up to you.

joshofalltrades on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Saving this second post for future potential LPs

joshofalltrades on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uncanny Valley Meat Boy Poster

American Meat Boy is More Hardcore.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bandage Girl kind of freaks me out in that poster, but it's all good

I think I'm going to blow it up and print it out on my work plotter

joshofalltrades on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There should be one screenshot from the kid's stage.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited January 2011
    Oh shit, I picked the wrong link, hold on

joshofalltrades on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually loved that level in the first picture. Pretty sure I set a very good leaderboard time on it, though I still have to go back at some point and check pretty much all my earlier times.

But man I haven't been finding time to play this, still right at the beginning of The End.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    After hell this game really got easy, well I mean easy for super meat boy. I didn't really have trouble on any of the levels and got an A+ on them all except a few, now at the end...almost done..?

Fizban140 on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    After hell this game really got easy, well I mean easy for super meat boy. I didn't really have trouble on any of the levels and got an A+ on them all except a few, now at the end...almost done..?

you have no idea what lies ahead

MrDelish on
    edited January 2011
    Hahahahaha

I laugh at your coming misfortune and cramped fingers

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    sad face

Fizban140 on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh 3 or 4 levels in hell and already got cramped fingers.

Still love the game though because I love how after all those tries, getting an A+ on the level makes you feel effing pro. Also treating death like it ain't no thing by immediately respawning and infinite lives also helps.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Yeah super meat boy ruined Trine for me, I just can't beat Trine because I jump trying to pplay it like super meat boy. I got stuck in the first part because I am rushing it, that is not suppose to be a fast paced game.

Fizban140 on
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woot. Finally a new thread. I was almost considering making one myself, but that sounded like a chore. Plus you know, Josh is the poster-boy for Meat Boy after all. :P

Anyway, finished Cotton Alley LW and DW a few days ago. LW was pretty cool, and while DW had some annoying levels, nothing came even close to XOXO. And then I figured out the "trick" to the upper part and I wanted to smack myself. My favorite levels from that Chapter were definitely Four Letter Word and Brag Rights though. So simple and yet so awesome.

Cotton Alley racked me a good 2k deaths I think, although I blame the vast majority on XOXO and trying to tighten up my time more and more on Four Letter Word.

If not for letting a friend test the game out by playing through the entirety of Chapter 1, redoing some WZs several times because of glitched achievements, and dying over and over again to get glitched Bandage Girls to show up, I'd probably have way less deaths on my counter.

Now the waiting game for the level editor. I have a couple of ideas already, and sign me up for any deathtraps you guys conjure up. :D

aunsoph on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just moved to my new computer.

So now i have to replay the whole thing again seeing that I'm too lazy to transfer my save over.

Yaaaaaay!

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited January 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »

So now i have to replay the whole thing again seeing that I'm too lazy to transfer my save over.

Yaaaaaay!

Welcome to the replay club!

Don't forget to take your medications!

joshofalltrades on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've temporarily stopped playing this. My fingers just can't take the abuse.

That and the crust on my gamepad was looking pretty gross.

I'll come back to it one day to do speed runs, but not for now.

Icemopper on
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper are you a leper

joshofalltrades on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »

Yaaaaaay!

You know it would probably take less time to transfer the save.

Adus on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am going to finish The End tonight

Then I will be a man

Mr Bubbles on
    edited January 2011
    The End is actually pretty easy, in my opinion. Dr. Fetus Dark World sucks, especially the part after you actually beat him, but the levels leading up to him are not that bad.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011

You know, I always blamed my pale skin on the lack of going outside, but you make a good point! :)

D:

Icemopper on
    edited January 2011
    The End is actually pretty easy, in my opinion. Dr. Fetus Dark World sucks, especially the part after you actually beat him, but the levels leading up to him are not that bad.

If you move quickly, you can jump over the moving wall of saw-blades. It makes the level much easier.

Icemopper on
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

You know, I always blamed my pale skin on the lack of going outside, but you make a good point! :)

D:

I was more referring to crust being left on your controller than the hue of your epidermis

But yes, you may want to get that looked at

joshofalltrades on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    I actually loved that level in the first picture. Pretty sure I set a very good leaderboard time on it, though I still have to go back at some point and check pretty much all my earlier times.

But man I haven't been finding time to play this, still right at the beginning of The End.

You know if you hit that middle just exactly fucking perfectly, meatboy can run on top of the disappearing bricks and under that saw blade?

I did it one fucking time when I was beating josh's score, but didn't finish the level.

I pretty much guarentee if you can make that, you'll be in the top 10 (non-0) scores on the leaderboards.

Burtletoy on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've had that happen too. Three times actually. Only to die near the end anyway. Don't know why I suddenly suck after making that, since the end of the level isn't exactly any harder.

Adus on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still haven't played it since I reached 100%. I suppose I can be content with being among the first 100-ish people to do so. I could go back and get better times, but fffffffffff

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited January 2011
    fffffforget about it?

joshofalltrades on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hell Boss. I have no idea. You can't jump it, and you can't reliably hide on the side of the platform. I am stumped.

Houn on
    edited January 2011
    You can jump over his hands straight vertically

Trust me it is possible, and it is way easier than trying to jump off the side of the platform

joshofalltrades on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    are you wall-jumping at all on that boss?

if yes, then you are doing it wrong

edit: to clarify, this post was directed at josh
    fake edit: no, it wasn't :(

MrDelish on
    edited January 2011
    joshofalltrades on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    you can jump it

Super beaten.

I found jumping from one side to the other to be easier than straight vertical as josh suggested.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2011
    slowpoke_pokemon.gif?1238966917

joshofalltrades on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I swear to god I couldn't get enough height to jump it. I'll try again later.

Houn on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't forget that holding down jump and run in midair give you extra height.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

D:

I was more referring to crust being left on your controller than the hue of your epidermis

But yes, you may want to get that looked at

Yeah, I was just taking it a step further, so ... never mind.

Anyway, this game is great!?

Icemopper on
    edited January 2011
    Attention internets: the Editor and Portal should be out in the next 2 weeks. tommy got the server setup, backend is almost done.. soonish. we got pushed a bit back due to a resubmission of the xbla update and 2 other big secret updates we hope to announce by GDC! The news we hope to have by GDC effects the wii version and pc version of the game

Well, if there wasn't going to be a Wii version... why would they have an announcement to make?

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    Maybe he meant 360?

Fizban140 on
    edited January 2011
    Doubtful. People are commenting on it and they haven't said "oops" or anything. It was 7 hours ago.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    I've probably missed it in my ignorance of SMB for the longest time but: Is there any news that it might come to the PS3?

Icemopper on