As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Will 8th generation consoles reverse the optical media trend?

• SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Clearly a mix of DD and physical distribution is best for consumers. I don't know why anyone would want to no longer have the option to buy games physically.
    If the disc drive added enough to the cost - as may have been the case with the PS3 at launch - I can see arguments that the consumer would prefer a driveless model.

Seol on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think it'd be cool to be able to choose a game to download from your PC, and then save it to a flash drive, then plug it into the next console and play the game from there. The problem there is piracy would be rampant.

urahonky on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    I won't pay more than $10 for a game- any game- that I can't resell. I barely buy games retail, and if I can't resell them then I'll simply stop buying them completely.

I suspect there are a non-zero number of people out there who feel the same way.
    Non-zero yes but I'm assuming insignificant compared to the hordes of people that buy Madden year-after-year, or must have the mega franchise's (Halos, CoDs, etc) new offering on day one. I wouldn't be surprised for the industry to force the minority to choose between their principals (for lack of a better term) and their hobby.

As an adult, if I'm relegated to playing AAA titles 4 years after their release when they're on sale for $10, then so be it. I honestly don't mind, and it means that I don't need to keep up with hardware requirements and I spend less money. If they can make more revenue with DD only releases, more power to them. It's a luxury item and I won't lament its loss.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing your stance. I just don't think that non-zero number is big enough for the industry to care and that they'll hedge their bets that a portion of said group will cave eventually.

When it happens, we'll find out to what degree used game sales drive new game sales. I'd theorize the link isn't trivial.

Happened quite often for me before all this one owner anchoring started

Buttcleft on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    The next gen will have optical drives, because a BR is going to be cheaper than a comparable flash drive for the next few years, at least. What I think we will see is a focus on downloads with the drive as a secondary option in the eyes of the console makers. Think huge/replaceable hard drives, downloadable exclusives, pre-sale pre-downloads and download prices being lower than retail discs 90% of the time.

I think the next gen will be where console makers and developers decide that it is not worth the cost to try and play nice with GameStop and BestBuy.

The performance and reduced complication for the console could offset that price difference until the economy of scale brought the prices down for flash memory.

Because whats easier to design and manufactor? a simple slot you throw the game in or a whole complicated drive system that has a dozen more points of fail, as well as increased cost of production

I would think economies of scale would have already brought down the price of flash memory. We use it in everything nowadays, and I find them much more ubiquitous than blank DVDs. But gigabyte for gigabyte the flash memory is still a lot more expensive than optical discs. A 50 pack of dual layer DVDs can be had for $55 off of Amazon, while an 8 GB flash memory card still costs $7 at the low end.

Orogogus on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Switching over completely to digital distribution would kill me. I don't have the bandwidth for that shit.

DekuStick on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    I wonder how well OnLive is doing.

My first thought when I read the OP was... Why have media at all? With OnLive you don't even need a hard drive. Does anyone actually use this system, and purchase games? I've heard some stories about how amazing it is to be able to play Arkham Asylum on your crappy 486 or IMac or whatever, but I'm unable to even attempt playing a game due to my latency.

In my case, I'm using a crappy American cable company (Mediatti) on an AF base in Okinawa, Japan. I'm sure my latency could be -much- better if I had a fiber connection like my neighbor who lives across the street. Right now I max out at 350KB down with about a 300ms ping to US sites.

Because I live in base housing they will not allow the local internet companies to lay wire. They are offering a wireless commercial connection now, that has 6 times the bandwidth, but the installation cost is around $150 and monthly fees are around $50. I haven't found anyone who has actually purchased it so I can see what the latency and actual download speed are. If it were even 2 times better than what I have I would go in whole hog.

If I had a connection with microscopic latency I would absolutely subscribe to a system that let me play games instantly via streaming, so that I wouldn't have to use DD or a box copy and install it etc. I'm not one of those people who gets all nostalgic over a game I played way back when, and installs it for a playthrough... I usually go through a (pc) game once, and then I'm done. There are exceptions. I almost always have a PSP or DS with me where ever I go (except work), and value my collection there.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A DD-only model makes a lot more sense for portable consoles - I love having dozens of games installed on my PSP and being able to just bring the system with me and not have to worry about carrying a game case. Unfortunately, Nintendo tends to be pretty backwards when it comes to ye olde Internet so it'll be a while before all portable system go purely DD.

RainbowDespair on
    edited January 2011
    A DD-only model makes a lot more sense for portable consoles - I love having dozens of games installed on my PSP and being able to just bring the system with me and not have to worry about carrying a game case. Unfortunately, Nintendo tends to be pretty backwards when it comes to ye olde Internet so it'll be a while before all portable system go purely DD.

That being said it's a lot less cumbersome to carry DS games than it is PSP games.

urahonky on
  • BluefistBluefist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Even if consoles don't move to download only, it'd be really nice if all games were released as download at the same time as in stores.

I could see consoles using a Steam like system where the discs are purely for installation and all games require registration as a step before going download only. Publishers get to kill used games sales and stores get to keep selling games.

This is exactly what I expect the next console genration to be like. We are already being trained to have our consoles connected to the net to grab a day zero patch for every new game. Adding in a one-time online verification step to link a game to a single console would be the next step in killing the secondhand market.

Putting a paywall in place to verify a used game would also be a possibility.

Bluefist on
    STEAM & PSN: Bluefist56
    steam_sig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DekuStick wrote: »
    Switching over completely to digital distribution would kill me. I don't have the bandwidth for that shit.

Hell, I have a decent connection (25-30 mb/s download in a speedtest from Atlanta) and I would still hate it. Switch over entirely to DD, and you're not just going to be limited by your own speed, but also the speed of the service in question as everyone else does exactly what you're doing on release day.

Synthesis on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    DekuStick wrote: »

Hell, I have a decent connection (25-30 mb/s download in a speedtest from Atlanta) and I would still hate it. Switch over entirely to DD, and you're not just going to be limited by your own speed, but also the speed of the service in question as everyone else does exactly what you're doing on release day.

That's easily solved by Torrents. Blizzard uses them and nobody -ever- complains about patch day for them!
    teehee

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just lost a big ass post because the browser mistook my backspace as a go back.

To sum up what I just lost.

Microsoft does not have full backwards compatability, and too my knowledge the latest itteration of the PS3 have removed backwards compat all together, so theres no reason for them to hold onto optical media for the next console generation when they could reduce the mechanical parts and points of failure in favor of carts, Which would also remove the need to install games to harddrives as they would provide almost the same level of read/write speed, Thus removing the need and cost of engineering it.

Sony aren't about to stop supporting blu-ray. And as I mentioned before, to add to perceived value both the 360 and the PS3 advertise their media capabilities, no optical drive, no interest for a lot of people. You'd be surprised how many people expect the Wii to (natively, without fiddling) play DVDs.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited January 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Download limits are for backwards countries. I mean, I hear about this all the time from Brits and Aussies but this not an impediment for GAMERS in the US.

Congrats to you. You do realise that consoles have to sell outside of the US, right?

I'd hardly call the UK backwards, for broadband or anything really.

Virgin are in the process of rolling out 100mb, and they cover roughly 50% of the country, BT are in the process of rolling out FTTC to other areas (about 40mb). However people have a choice of package with each broadband provider.

I used to pay £25ish a month for my 50mb Virgin connection, completely unlimited and unthrottled (until I moved house, now I'm on 14mb unlimited due to availability). I pay more for unlimited because I use a lot of bandwidth. Plenty of the country are using one of the cheaper providers, such as TalkTalk. Roughly £8 a month (So that's maybe $12?) and they get 8mb broadband and a cap of between 10gb and 20gb.

For your average family who just want to browse the internet, watch a few things on BBC iPlayer and download the odd song on itunes, that's pretty much enough. I think you'd find few families would be willing to buy the next Microsoft console if they had to pay £250 for the console, £6 a month for Xbox Live and then up their broadband package for another £12 a month to cope with the new bandwidth demands.

Also you're generalising about gamers in the USA:
    The USA is a world leader in broadband services, with more than 80 million subscribers at mid 2009. However, while the USA is second only to China in terms of broadband subscribers, population penetration in the USA has fallen from second place at the end of 2000 to 19th place by Q1 2009. It has been argued that the USA has many rural areas where the revenue to be made by laying down fibre has not proven alluring to providers. However, US broadband providers often charge above the global average for their services and in some cases, more than those in many developed nations.

http://point-topic.com/content/operatorSource/profiles2/usa-broadband-overview.htm

Also speed is an issue, not just bandwidth and if this report is to believe than many parts of the USA are stuck below 4mb:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/internet-broadband-high-speed-downloads,11796.html

If that's to be believed, and taking in to account most full 360 games are roughly 8gb (and if anything that will increase in the next generation), that's a 4 and a half hour download period.

Digital Download ONLY just isn't feasible yet.

Mr_Grinch on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bam!

LewieP on
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure he was just joking. :P

urahonky on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey. Just wanted to say that it turns out there already is a DD only console. And it's actually pretty sweet.

Xaviar on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

That being said it's a lot less cumbersome to carry DS games than it is PSP games.

Maybe. The point being that if I want to bring the PSP with me (or an iTouch/iPhone), I can stick it in my pocket and have all my games. If I want to have all of my games with me with the DS, I need a purse sized carrying case.

RainbowDespair on
    edited January 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Hey. Just wanted to say that it turns out there already is a DD only console. And it's actually pretty sweet.

Until the service goes down, or a line gets knocked out, or bad DNS information is populated across the network that makes your connection go around the globe before it gets back to you.

Buttcleft on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I find the size of UMDs is a benefit on the go. I'm a lot less likely to misplace one than I am a DS chip.

EDIT: I say this as I have my PSP with me with no UMD game in it but a few of my PSN purchases sitting on the memory stick.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011

Until the service goes down, or a line gets knocked out, or bad DNS information is populated across the network that makes your connection go around the globe before it gets back to you.

Or the power goes out and your TV stops working, or your kid scratches your disc, or you lose your cartridge.

We can play this game all day.

Xaviar on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Or the power goes out and your TV stops working, or your kid scratches your disc, or you lose your cartridge.

But power/tv issues are a wash, at least play the game right :P

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    edited January 2011

Thats stupid and you know it.

Buttcleft on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We already have several DD only handhelds: The PSP Go and iDevice/Android/Phone7 phones.

It's interesting that the latter group work so universally well with consumers, while the former does not. Where Sony fucked up was not providing any means of transferring UMD purchases to the new console.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited January 2011
    We already have several DD only handhelds: The PSP Go and iDevice/Android/Phone7 phones.

It's interesting that the latter group work so universally well with consumers, while the former does not. Where Sony fucked up was not providing any means of transferring UMD purchases to the new console.

They screwed up in a couple places.
    1) They couldn't/wouldn't guarantee that all new games would see a DD release.
    2) They offered no incentive for current UMD/PSP owners to migrate to the new hardware.
    3) Games aren't priced competitively enough for people to seriously choose the Go over the 2000/3000 where cheap UMDs are abundant.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2011

Lines getting knocked out and wonky DNS routing are equally inane points, though. I assume people play WoW without being consumed by the dread of their Internet connection being gone for, like an hour. It's not exactly monkey's paw level terror.

Orogogus on
    edited January 2011

Yes, I do.

My real point, and I'm going to leave it at this, is there are always issues with any entertainment system. And by putting more hoops between you and your entertainment, regardless of how smoothly those hoops are navigated under optimal conditions, will always create more possible fail-points.

However, realistically, you are still only hitting those fail-points rarely, if ever. My bandwidth is shit, and onlive looks and plays great on my TV. If I lose my connection or something happens to it, then yes, I lose my games. But that happens about as often as me losing power, so.. *shrug* I guess I'll play a board game or read a book until it gets resolved.

Xaviar on
    edited January 2011
    Orogogus wrote: »

Lines getting knocked out and wonky DNS routing are equally inane points, though. I assume people play WoW without being consumed by the dread of their Internet connection being gone for, like an hour. It's not exactly monkey's paw level terror.

Whoever even said it was a terror.

It was a point. Online exclusive things are tied actually being online. In your example, ignoring the fact that it was for PC and not consoles, if the connection/servers went down/what have you, Then you could still play single player games.

With with consoles that are online exclusive, you are just out of luck until whatever caused the disconnect between you and the service is repaired. Mainstream console makers wont take a risk on that for quite some time

You are trying to undermine my valid points by elevating it to absurdity, then attacking your own elevation instead of my initial arguments.

Why are we even talking about DD and this various other crap when the initial premise was about the possibility of a return to cart based gaming with reductions in flash memory prices, increases in capacity and the possibility of its per unit OEM price between manuf.'s dropping as a million+ games come out each month requiring it.

Buttcleft on
    edited January 2011
    Why are we even talking about DD and this various other crap when the initial premise was about the possibility of a return to cart based gaming with reductions in flash memory prices, increases in capacity and the possibility of its per unit OEM price between manuf.'s dropping as a million+ games come out each month requiring it.

DVD transfer rates on an Xbox 360 8x drive are ~10.6Mb a second. To get comparable transfer rate, you're looking at Class 10 SDHC cards, which are, comparatively, pretty expensive. In order to get a measurable boost, they would have to use the newer SDXC cards which have a theoretical throughput of 832Mb a second, and can come in up to 2TB of storage (though they have to stick to 64GB in order to remain compatible with SD 2.0 devices). However only a small number of these cards are available, they come in a wide range of qualities (~15mb-400mb a second, depending on the card), and they're also really expensive.

The problem with flash memory is that the specs required to have a viable replacement for optical media ends up being kind of an apples and oranges thing. SD cards are meant to be used for things like DSLR cameras as a reusable storage medium for film. To restrict them to the single-use nature of consoles is to negate most of what they are designed to do.

Dusda on
    edited January 2011
    Buttcleft wrote:
    You are trying to undermine my valid points by elevating it to absurdity, then attacking your own elevation instead of my initial arguments.

Your point about Internet connections and DNSes are as absurd as concerns about losing discs or getting them scratched. Without elevating anything:
    or a line gets knocked out, or bad DNS information is populated across the network that makes your connection go around the globe before it gets back to you.

was, as you put it, "stupid." You could just wait for those problem to be fixed. I don't think connection problems and DNS issues happen often enough for most people to be even slightly concerned. Valid points have been made against DD, but those two were ridiculous.
    I've responded to this earlier, too. I don't think there would be any reduction in flash memory prices since SD cards are already ubiquitous. They're used in MP3 players, in cameras and camcorders, and in cell phones. The DS already uses carts, and I think it moves more games than any of the consoles. Whatever reduction to be seen has already happened, and it's still 5-10 times more expensive.

Orogogus on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LMAO, bad DNS info being a lynchpin of the future success of DD.

mrt144 on
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure he was just joking. :P

Even so there are a few comments saying DD-only is feasible, it's not. That was more my point :)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to go out on a limb and and say that OnLive's bandwidth and stability requirements are probably a few steps ahead of WoW's, and thus, it is considerably more vulnerable to problems that plague online-only games.

Synthesis on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Everyone mentions GameStop, but these guys are ready for all this stuff. They sell point cards. They sell digital downloads in store. They sell add-ons in store. Hell, walk into your local Gamestop. They're promoting the first Black Ops add-on as if it was a full title.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamestop-will-begin-selling-psn-dlc-at-retail/
    GameStop has developed a new system in partnership with platform holders Microsoft and Sony, which allows consumers to purchase digital add-ons for titles in GameStop stores. Any form of payment that is valid at a GameStop store can be used to purchase the content, including credit cards, cash, or game trade-ins.

Gamestop will weather that storm.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited January 2011
    Yea I don't think GameStop is going to survive when the balance eventually tips away from brick and mortar. They're just extending the business model's lifespan.

Dusda on
    edited January 2011
    Everyone mentions GameStop, but these guys are ready for all this stuff. They sell point cards. They sell digital downloads in store. They sell add-ons in store. Hell, walk into your local Gamestop. They're promoting the first Black Ops add-on as if it was a full title.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gamestop-will-begin-selling-psn-dlc-at-retail/
    GameStop has developed a new system in partnership with platform holders Microsoft and Sony, which allows consumers to purchase digital add-ons for titles in GameStop stores. Any form of payment that is valid at a GameStop store can be used to purchase the content, including credit cards, cash, or game trade-ins.

Gamestop will weather that storm.

I don't know - when I buy a 1600 point XBLM card or a $20 PSN card how much is MS/Sony getting versus GS? I always figured they just kept that stuff in there and made no money on it because they wanted me in the store looking at the used games.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

1. I lose my internet access far more than I lose electricity.
    2. I am actually quite worried about the time when some service I have bought a fair amount of downloadable games on goes belly up. I consider it to be inevitable.

Diamond on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yea I don't think GameStop is going to survive when the balance eventually tips away from brick and mortar. They're just extending the business model's lifespan.

Yeah.

The only problem with that is that middle 'murica doesn't have any broadband infrastructure worth talking about.

I mean, sure, game companies WILL EVENTUALLY go for straight DD, with no physical products, but Australia and America would have to go without(Unless Australia went for the fiber-optic instead of those shitty wireless boxes)

I mean, I guess that Gamestop could sell portable media, but even that's going to be eclipsed by DD.

Edith Upwards on
    edited January 2011
    Diamond wrote: »

1. I lose my internet access far more than I lose electricity.
    2. I am actually quite worried about the time when some service I have bought a fair amount of downloadable games on goes belly up. I consider it to be inevitable.

Given the obvious fact (that you need electricity for a router to work), I'm going to guess that pretty much everyone in North America loses internet way more often than they lose electricity. I get internet interruptions once a week or every two weeks (which can be a minute long or last five hours).

If GA Power tried to pull that shit, their managers would probably be worried that their houses would be broken into at night. But for the ISP providers, it's pretty much "business as usual". This is ignoring the actual issues of speed, and just going for "is there any internet at all?"

Synthesis on
    edited January 2011
    Really? To the best of my recollection I haven't had an Internet interruption for longer than 5 minutes for... three years? I think that's the last time I recall asking a roommate if his net connection was working. I've lost power twice in the last year, although obviously this killed my Internet access, too. Does rain or snow just kill Internet lines a lot more often than it hits the power or something? We don't get much of either in San Diego.

It really does boggle my mind that "Oh no, my Internet might go down and then I wouldn't be able to play video games" would factor even infinitesimally as a consideration. The service going down seems much more real to me.

Orogogus on
    edited January 2011
    You live in a place with reliable lines. Me, I'm grateful that I was even capable of upgrading my connection past 1.6 megabits/s download--a lot of my friends and neighbors can't, and those who did were limited to 4 - 6 (I got very lucky to get 26).

In my area, if you lose electricity, you always lose internet, almost certainly--and it's not a matter of not having electricity for your router. Power lose almost always results from a line going down due to weather or something less common, like routine work (extremely uncommon, and very short by comparison). Weather bringing down power lines bring down the cable and phone lines sharing the same posts in my area, without fail.

Add to the fact that you can get internet loss for any number of other reasons--particularly maintenance (a lot more often, probably 20 times at the least) without the power infrastructure going down...I can easily think of the last time I lost internet, but if I think of the last time I lost power, especially more than for any longer than two seconds, is a lot harder.

Synthesis on