As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel vs Capcom 3 - FTW - The Earth is in Danger! Only Haggar can save us!

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So for the 2 dlc characters in the special edition, are they unlocked on day 1 or do you just get them free when they are released for everyone else?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Start + LP + MP + MK for Colossus.

I used to always fuck it up and use HK instead of MK which gave me Arthur I think?
    So for the 2 dlc characters in the special edition, are they unlocked on day 1 or do you just get them free when they are released for everyone else?

You get them when they're released a month later.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You get them 1 month after release, you just don't have to pay for them.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Always preferred Psylocke assist over Colossus. The angle was easier to predict and deal with.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got a tough decision. Going to preorder this off Amazon (20 dollar credit) and they're offering a 10 dollar credit with the regular edition, but not with the CE.

Kyougu on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm getting way to excited for this game, considering I may not play it online at all.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Tech Hit" or "Technical" can refer to a number of things depending on the specific game, but it usually involves breaking out of the opponent's attack in one way or another. Sometimes it refers to throw breaks. Sometimes it refers to various forms of wake-up recovery. I know in Darkstalkers it's used for Advance Guard.

In the US version of TvC, they dropped the term entirely for more descriptive alternatives ("Break Away" for throw break, "Advance Guard" for advance guard, etc.) but it was still used in the JP versions.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps the fighting terms presented in the thread could be collated into the OP as they come? It would probably help newcomers to the scene, as not everyone understands the alphabet soup of fighting game theory.

And in the spirit of Lupinko's tidbit of new info:
    leilei_finished.jpg

Done by DK-Reset, from the Darkstalkers Tribute Artbook by UDON according to his blog.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It rages me to no end that my favorite combo assist Jill is DLC.

I wonder if Hulk will be the new Sentinel and be used to tank through meters.

Xehalus on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think sentinel will be the new sentinel.

Evil Multifarious on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xehalus wrote: »

Well. Even if she's DLC we don't know how Jill is going to play.

I'm thinking they're going to play around with her superhuman shtick from RE5. Maybe keep a few of her classic moves like the charge and add some more.

Dragkonias on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also a crossup in Mvc2 is apparently a broader term than it is in Street Fighter.

Although jumping over an enemy and hitting them from behind with a jumping attack and forcing them to block the opposite way still happens, mvc2 has other moves like teleports and dashes which can be crossups by themselves or when combined with an assist. The idea is simply to make it hard to tell which way to block, since you always block away from the point character.

Even normal crossups are improved by an assist that can force a quicker decision or more damage on failure to properly block.

Evil Multifarious on
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Crossups aren't just with jump-ins in sf. Stuff like Dhalsim's teleport shenanigans also involve sneaky crossups. :)

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I think their called "Tech Hit" in Darkstalkers too, I'm used to different terminology from other games.

As per the SRK Wiki "Tech Hitting
    Also known as pushblocking, Tech Hitting is performed by inputting anywhere from 3 to 6+ attack inputs during block stun within a 12 frame window. It can only be done on the ground.
    It pushes the opponent away a distance, depending on your last input of the tech hit. A strong button will push them far away, and a weak button will do the opposite, pushing them far away enough for you to dash at them and retaliate. There is a random success in executing a successful tech hit.
    6 or more inputs will guarantee a pushblock.
    5 inputs allows for 75% rate of success.
    4 inputs allows for 50% rate of success.
    3 inputs allows for 25% rate of success.
    Tech hitting gives the person teching frame advantage. This trait of tech hitting makes it more desirable in some cases over guard canceling.
    Also worth noting, is that buttons pressed simultaneously count as only one (1) input toward a tech hit."

I don't think any other game has used that though, just taken the name. Like James Chen always pointed out in his fighting game FAQs though, if it's in a Capcom game and is a useful/fun mechanic, more than likely it came from the Darkstalkers(Vampire) series.

For those curious about general fighting game conventions, SRK Wiki is normally good, especially its Glossary. Likewise any guide by Kao Megura or James Chen is gold for any game/mechanic you need it for.

From there, once you understand the terminology and mechanics, it's about picking the forums for your game/series for tactics/advanced play, ie. SRK for anything Capcom, Tekken Zaibatsu and SDTekken for Tekken, 8wayrun for Soul Calibur, DustLoop for Guily Gear/BlazBlue(ArcSys?), VFDC for Virtua Fighter, etc. etc.

Column on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So a few pages back we were talking about when a persons theme plays. One of the replies was that it'll most likely play the 2nd players theme. I assumed as much myself but thought I had seen a match or two where this wasn't the case.
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRq-hADkjRw]In this match,[/URL] you can hear Chun's theme despite her being first player.
    Was wondering if anyone pieced together how it works at all.

Edit: Christ does anyone know what to take out of a youtube URL to make it not embed? I keep breaking the link.
    Or is this just chrome being a dick? I can paste what I have in the link and it'll work but the link itself won't work for me.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited January 2011
    Edit: Christ does anyone know what to take out of a youtube URL to make it not embed? I keep breaking the link.

I've been using the short URL address they provide under the share tab. Anything else seems to make it embed in the post.

For that money match what I read either on zachd's mvc2 video page or from the SRK forums is that Wong used random select, got those characters, thought they gelled well, and took them into that fight. That video is just one of many reasons Justin has always been the, overall, best at Marvel.

Column on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still no sign of a "I'm Gonna Take You for a Ride" remix?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Seth dropped hints about it in an interview, officially however no. The announcer says something about taking a wild ride at the character select screen though in the CES build. I'm sure it will be there in some form, even if it's only playing during the credit roll, they said there are a ton of songs in the game, not all of them being character themes.

More videos from Keits explaining stuff

Column on
    edited January 2011
    Column wrote: »

Seth dropped hints about it in an interview, officially however no. The announcer says something about taking a wild ride at the character select screen though in the CES build. I'm sure it will be there in some form, even if it's only playing during the credit roll, they said there are a ton of songs in the game, not all of them being character themes.

More videos from Keits explaining stuff

Its played at the end of the trailer they released on Christmas eve, the holiday one.

It is awwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeesssssssssssoooooooooommmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So a few pages back we were talking about when a persons theme plays. One of the replies was that it'll most likely play the 2nd players theme. I assumed as much myself but thought I had seen a match or two where this wasn't the case.
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRq-hADkjRw]In this match,[/URL] you can hear Chun's theme despite her being first player.
    Was wondering if anyone pieced together how it works at all.

I mentioned it in the last thread I think, but it looks like it starts with the the theme for P2's first character, then switches to the theme of each character that comes in after a KO, regardless of player.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't stop watching Taskmasters debut video because of the theme they gave him. I think I'm going to have to make him a staple on my main team based on his music. Good thing he also looks really fun to play.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that was the background music method for X-Men vs. Street Fighter up through Marvel vs. Capcom 1. Then MvC2 went to stage music only.

SabreMau on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

Well. Even if she's DLC we don't know how Jill is going to play.

We do, sorta.

From Seth on the Unity boards:
    MVC3 Jill is a completely new character (and definitely more along your "acrobatic gun user" track). She's more different and completely re-imagined than any other returning cast-member. She just might be the fastest character in the game, too...

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Well, there's always the last few seconds of this video. Could be something, could be nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8auF68VB3Q

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe Seth said we get "take you for a ride" remixed twice.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Column wrote: »
    I think their called "Tech Hit" in Darkstalkers too, I'm used to different terminology from other games.

As per the SRK Wiki "Tech Hitting
    Also known as pushblocking, Tech Hitting is performed by inputting anywhere from 3 to 6+ attack inputs during block stun within a 12 frame window. It can only be done on the ground.
    It pushes the opponent away a distance, depending on your last input of the tech hit. A strong button will push them far away, and a weak button will do the opposite, pushing them far away enough for you to dash at them and retaliate. There is a random success in executing a successful tech hit.
    6 or more inputs will guarantee a pushblock.
    5 inputs allows for 75% rate of success.
    4 inputs allows for 50% rate of success.
    3 inputs allows for 25% rate of success.
    Tech hitting gives the person teching frame advantage. This trait of tech hitting makes it more desirable in some cases over guard canceling.
    Also worth noting, is that buttons pressed simultaneously count as only one (1) input toward a tech hit."

I don't think any other game has used that though, just taken the name. Like James Chen always pointed out in his fighting game FAQs though, if it's in a Capcom game and is a useful/fun mechanic, more than likely it came from the Darkstalkers(Vampire) series.

For those curious about general fighting game conventions, SRK Wiki is normally good, especially its Glossary. Likewise any guide by Kao Megura or James Chen is gold for any game/mechanic you need it for.

From there, once you understand the terminology and mechanics, it's about picking the forums for your game/series for tactics/advanced play, ie. SRK for anything Capcom, Tekken Zaibatsu and SDTekken for Tekken, 8wayrun for Soul Calibur, DustLoop for Guily Gear/BlazBlue(ArcSys?), VFDC for Virtua Fighter, etc. etc.

Wow that's some convoluted shit for something as simple as a push block. The only reason I even remembered the term in Darkstalkers is because of the voice clip that played.

Good advice on checking out those FAQs. Kao Megura always wrote fantastic guides and was a nice guy on the forums to boot. Its a shame he was taken from us too soon. I still credit him with teaching me how to play KOF with his King of Fighters '97 guide.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to put together a jargon/term list to put in the OP in a bit. People should post what they think should be in.

blaze_zero on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Curly mustache.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    Curly mustache.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=curly%20mustache

1. A mustache one must locate.

2. A mustache style that's brought up or mentioned loudly by brazen individuals at unnecessary times.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I'm going to put together a jargon/term list to put in the OP in a bit. People should post what they think should be in.

Honestly I'd just link them here to the SRK Wiki's Glossary for jargon/terms and here to the Strategy Section where it covers QCF notation and numbered (236) notation. Every basic thing you would need to know is there within one of the two links. I'm guessing there are some game specific terms missing, but given this is the MvC3 thread and the game isn't even out, just deal with that as it comes up, if it comes up.

Keeping anything up to date is going to be a pain in the ass and you're never going to stop getting questions like "What does Yomi/Oki(zeme(sp?)) mean?" "Wtf is 236 and/or QCF?" "What's the difference between a dragon punch and a shoryuken?" For an even more practical example, think about the SF thread, how many people ask about SE and TE sticks despite that being answered on every other page during June and July last year? Hat even had a blunt but honest response to it in the OP, still does I think.

Just keep it simple. Link to those and other people can field questions as we've been doing if the links genuinely fail to answer it.

Its a shame he was taken from us too soon. I still credit him with teaching me how to play KOF with his King of Fighters '97 guide.

Holy hell, do you mean he's passed away gone? I thought he just retired from writing guides due to school and/or work. If he's gone gone, that makes it even more sad than it already was.

Column on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow that's some convoluted shit for something as simple as a push block.
    Half the supers in that game have convoluted Raging Demon-esque inputs, too.

Vampire Savior might be the least pad-friendly fighter out there.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's sorta sad that I knew exactly what okizeme was. I was really into Tekken 3/Tag when the arcade I worked at had them.

Once you master the Waning Moon Throw, everyone is your bitch.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2011
    Well, oki is more commonly referenced in 3d fighters, especially Tekken.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited January 2011
    Ok, I am 90% sure I know what Advancing Guard is, but as long as we're catering to those who have no prior knowledge...I have this friend...yeah, a friend...who could use a little explanation on advancing guard.

mxmarks on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Advancing Guard is a new name for pushblocking. When you block an attack, hit two buttons and you'll push them away from you while maintaining your block.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the overall idea. Sometimes it doesn't push them away but it'll keep you from getting pushed back.

SabreMau on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arg blarg how do I go five years of playing MvC2 and not know what pushblocking actually is or how it works. Now I do!

No wonder I could always beat my friends but have never won a match online in MvC2 ever.

stevemarks44 on
    edited January 2011
    A lot of that stuff was posted on the arcade cabinets when new games are released. Of course, if you never played them in arcades.

Page- on
    stream
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    A lot of that stuff was posted on the arcade cabinets when new games are released. Of course, if you never played them in arcades.

Dreamcast to XBL unfortunately. The only fighter I played in arcades more than a couple of times was Soul Calibur II.

stevemarks44 on
    edited January 2011
    Probably old news now but the game seems to have gone gold.

Column on