As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Off the top of me head, Donkey Kong is one of the few classic Gameboy games I'd ever bother to download. They really need to get GBA games on there.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Link's Awakening? Hell yes.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mildly noteworthy: there doesn't seem to be an achievement system on the 3DS. Not really a big deal to me, but the choice is interesting.

Darlan on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    Mildly noteworthy: there doesn't seem to be an achievement system on the 3DS. Not really a big deal to me, but the choice is interesting.

For me, this is a plus. But I am an old man, raging against achievements.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kinda surprised they didn't implement a "Stamps" system for achievements into the 3DS. Wii Sports Resort does it so well.

mntorankusu on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have no clear reaction one way or the other on achievements, or leaderboards or really any online content outside the playing of the games. If it's not shooting laser beams at things then it really doesn't add enjoyment to me.

This seems like a cool box to play games on, thus I will buy it when financially responsible to do so.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited January 2011
    I'm not opposed to the idea of achievements, but the implementation where it doesn't matter about the individual acheivement, but the sum total of all achievements in a pointless dick-measuring contest. By placing all achievements together to give a single score creates a situation where people aren't trying to do something amazing in a game because they love it, but because it will bump up their gamer score incrementally. Hell, games that are well known to be patently awful make sales if people find out they have "easy cheevs".

Bah!

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think a system where you could look at which ones someone has earned for a particular game, but not a total number (because that's a useless number) would be good. Maybe a total number for games where you've gotten every achievement/trophy/stamp

I just like being able to look at my friend list on Xbox Live and see how far my friends are into a game or what stuff they've done so far. I couldn't even give you a rough guess of what my gamerscore is.

mntorankusu on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Achievements are really just a thinly veiled way of prolonging a games length without actually adding anything and giving people a way to measure epeen sizes comparing by gamer tags.

But you start unlocking them (which is a stupid term for gaining them as you don't actually get anything extra in-game) and then they have you and you must collect them all! Its the Microsoft equivalent of Pokemon grinding.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like achievements when they're done well, but I agree that having a combined achievement score for all games is pretty pointless.

I am a little surprised that they haven't made some sort of achievement system for the 3DS since it's so popular on the other systems and it's not like Nintendo hasn't had achievements in individual games in the past.

RainbowDespair on
    edited January 2011
    A bunch of Nintendo games have had checklists of random crap to do.

It's true that the best achievements are the ones that are tied to in-game unlocks. Rez HD does this, I think. It just took the stuff you normally unlocked in the original version and tied achievements to them. Which is great, because I can check from out-of-game which ones I've unlocked and compare my progress to people on my friend list.

mntorankusu on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    Achievements are really just a thinly veiled way of prolonging a games length without actually adding anything and giving people a way to measure epeen sizes comparing by gamer tags.

But you start unlocking them (which is a stupid term for gaining them as you don't actually get anything extra in-game) and then they have you and you must collect them all! Its the Microsoft equivalent of Pokemon grinding.

I personally don't care about achivements, but I see them as basically a good thing. The game has a way of motivating you to perfect your skills and get you to play it in a different way. Anything that pumps up the number of hours you can play a game and still get enjoyment from it is good for the consumer.

CygnusZ on
    edited January 2011
    I think the thing that I take issue with the most is that some of the things deemed "achievements" really don't fit the description of achievement very well. Its more like "Oh, you've uh . . . certainly been playing this game a lot haven't you? Fine, we have this random message so you can feel like you accomplished something." Maybe you really didn't shoot 100 enemies in the face because you saw the achievement further down the road. Maybe you just really enjoy shooting people in the face when you get the chance. Well hey, you get something anyway!

And then there are things like "Beat the game and you get an achievement!" too. Shouldn't beating the game be its own achievement? Are you just renting certain games for easy epeen points, or are you doing so because they are fun games? These are the things that come to my mind when this topic is brought up at any length.

Rehab on
    edited January 2011
    A bunch of Nintendo games have had checklists of random crap to do.

Alright so, admittedly I'm kind of guilty of this when it comes to a game like Super Smash Bros X, but I try and draw a line somewhere. For instance, I never bothered creating the 15 stages required for a certain new trophy simply because I just didn't feel compelled to create 15 stages.

Rehab on
    edited January 2011
    And then there are things like "Beat the game and you get an achievement!" too. Shouldn't beating the game be its own achievement? Are you just renting certain games for easy epeen points, or are you doing so because they are fun games? These are the things that come to my mind when this topic is brought up at any length.

"Beat the game" achievements and ones you get from normal game progress are so people can check your achievement list and see how far you are. Or so you can see how far you are without starting the game, even.

Though it would be nice if Microsoft had thought of this and implemented it as a separate-but-related thing.

mntorankusu on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My extended take on the achievement thing is this; I get it. I get exactly what they are and what the appeal is. Hell, I have a tiny party in the nerdcenter of my brain when I get one, especially if it has a bonus unlockable. But what I don't get is why this is an innovation that would need to become even mildly discussed as a potential industry standard, or why it would be a minus not to copy it. I see it as just Microsoft's thing. The analog stick, online multiplayer or hell, even rumble this is not.

It's a very mild plus to be included, but it is so not a minus if omitted.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sticking with my credo - I have virtually no opinion on achievements in and of themselves, but I must forever hate them because people call them "cheevos." And that is worthy of all my (rather paltry) scorn.

Graviija on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Graviija wrote: »
    I'm sticking with my credo - I have virtually no opinion on achievements in and of themselves, but I must forever hate them because people call them "cheevos." And that is worthy of all my (rather paltry) scorn.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    Aww yeah, I gots me a new cheevo!

Shit is tight bro!

Rehab on
    edited January 2011
    DHS wrote: »
    My extended take on the achievement thing is this; I get it. I get exactly what they are and what the appeal is. Hell, I have a tiny party in the nerdcenter of my brain when I get one, especially if it has a bonus unlockable. But what I don't get is why this is an innovation that would need to become even mildly discussed as a potential industry standard, or why it would be a minus not to copy it. I see it as just Microsoft's thing. The analog stick, online multiplayer or hell, even rumble this is not.

It's a very mild plus to be included, but it is so not a minus if omitted.

Well, I just think it's sort of a natural extension of a persistent friend list and online system. Tracking game progress outside of the game.

It's not super innovative, necessary, or important, no, but it just seems like something that should exist now.

Edit: I understand and agree with the hatred of the term "cheevo", but if you decided to hate everything that people have dumb names for, you are not going to be a very happy person.

mntorankusu on
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps it's because I'm a well trained Pavlov's Dog but part of the reason I like achievements (in my case trophies) ties in to why I like Metroid and Zelda. It's just so satisfying to hear that little "ping" when I get a trophy. We all love the Metroid and Zelda item get jingles, don't we?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Perhaps it's because I'm a well trained Pavlov's Dog but part of the reason I like achievements (in my case trophies) ties in to why I like Metroid and Zelda. It's just so satisfying to hear that little "ping" when I get a trophy. We all love the Metroid and Zelda item get jingles, don't we?

It's human nature to enjoy collecting things. There's no real difference between collecting all pokemon, or finishing achievements for a game.

CygnusZ on
    edited January 2011
    Actually, there is by the very nature of this example. The main reason that we love the jingles for collecting items in games like Zelda and Metroid (other than the sound itself being pleasing and iconic), is that we just collected an item. You hear "dun dun dun dun!" in Zelda and that means that you have just got something like a bomb bag (whoops, orignally typed "bar" there) or a hookshot and well, thats pretty cool! Hell yeah I want to blow shit up and be able to reach new areas. Likewise in Metroid, having another energy tank or some more missles to fire feels good. The sound being connected with some text popping up and a largely meaningless number increasing though, it just doesn't have the same effect.

Anyway, 1UP has an article about the best 3DS games making launch and the launch window. Also goes into some of the preloaded stuff too. It includes Steel Diver, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Ocarina of Time, Face Raiders (really?), Ridge Racer 3D, Nintendogs + Cats, PilotWings Resort, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, the AR games, and last but not least, Combat of Gaints: Dinosaurs 3D.
    On the plus side, you get to unlock fun dinosaur facts along your journey to slaughter every other creature you meet.

Sweet.

Rehab on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »

Maybe you know more than I do, but there is a "notifications" app that can be run at any time during a game. Basically as part of the "dashboard." What sort of notifications would you expect to be in there, besides friends being on/offline? If it doesn't launch with achievements, I could see them being integrated into it really easily.

Not that I am advocating them or anything, just saying we don't know everything about the interface yet. And it would be just like Nintendo to not announce/downplay it so that everyone and their brother isn't going "durr see a good idea and steal it, just like Nintendo." They're downplaying the drastic improvements to their online setup, after all.

But anyway. I have tremendous nostalgia for Link's Awakening and Super Mario Land (1!). I didn't have very many GB games. I would probably also buy Tetris, Kirby and Pokemon pinballs, and Pokemon Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWVtZ9O0Yc

As I recall, James Bond 007 wasn't too bad on the Gameboy either. Probably won't be able to release it due to licensing, though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2011
    They're downplaying the drastic improvements to their online setup, after all.

I wouldn't call them drastic improvements quite yet. There was a time when friend codes didn't seem like such a terrible idea - then it turned out we needed one for each game. But wait, that was necessary because of the DS hardware.... surely that won't be a problem with Wii. Shit.

My point is, Nintendo is full of fun and delightful surprises. They make the yummiest candy..... but some of it turn kids into blueberries.

RidleySaria on
    edited January 2011

I wouldn't call them drastic improvements quite yet. There was a time when friend codes didn't seem like such a terrible idea - then it turned out we needed one for each game. But wait, that was necessary because of the DS hardware.... surely that won't be a problem with Wii. Shit.

My point is, Nintendo is full of fun and delightful surprises. They make the yummiest candy..... but some of it turn kids into blueberries.

I guess I get what you're saying but this is sort of equivalent with saying we shouldn't call the amount of RAM or resolution a drastic improvement yet either. Some things are pretty obviously an improvement, just as described. What caveats could wreck this? The orange "friend online" light only works half the time and system codes are 40 characters long?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The only thing that could wreck this is the online infrastructure and how well it copes with Nintendo's servers. I've heard not so glowing tales about online SSBB and even something as simple as trading in Pokemon are mired with connection issues depending on where both of you live and your connections with Nintendo's servers.

I remember playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin online and if one of the players lost connection the game was dropped. It happened a lot. Seeing as games can last hours, this could be a serious problem, especially when Nintendo is touting it as an interactive network platform. I don't think Japan has to worry much, but for the rest of the world, fingers crossed.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited January 2011
    That is also true. I didn't have a ton of problems, but I don't play online that much anyway. I anticipate that changing as setting up a PA friends list ought to be really easy.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011
    If we're being honest, drastic improvements to thier online setup isn't that hard to accomplish.

That said, one unified friend code across all games is what everyone was clamoring for (aside from their complete removal) and that it actually happened is pretty significant. I'm more interested in Street Pass and how it gets used in games myself, but I can see myself using online a lot more this time around. Especially if we can see a game like Super Street Fighter being pulled off well with little to no lag.

Rehab on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I guess I get what you're saying but this is sort of equivalent with saying we shouldn't call the amount of RAM or resolution a drastic improvement yet either. Some things are pretty obviously an improvement, just as described. What caveats could wreck this? The orange "friend online" light only works half the time and system codes are 40 characters long?

Well if you were running behind in the footrace, there tends to be less fanfare when you catch up to everyone else. I'm definitely glad Nintendo is making improvements, but online has never been their strong suit, so I walk with trepidation.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited January 2011
    You know, I was just thinking about StreetPass...I wonder if they can use that to combat piracy. Even if hackers disable internet connections, exchanging data locally with somebody who has an updated, legal firmware could trigger some alarms on a hacked 3DS.

On another note, IGN has posted some details for that new Yuji Naka game. The screen's from the Wii version but it's also going to be on 3DS.
    Titled "Tenkuu no Kishi: Rodea," this original action title puts players in control of a robotic boy named Rodea for free flight through varied stages. The game is set in a continent located in the skies and has a rich background story courtesy of Takumi Miyajima, who previously did scenario work on Tales of the Abyss and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Control for the Wii version is entirely through the Wiimote. To make Rodea fly, you point in the direction you'd like to go, press B, and give the Wiimote a shake. You can then continue flying in your desired direction by pointing and pressing B.

Despite the simplicity, it looks like the game will allow for complex actions. You'll be able to attack enemies and obstacles with a gun and with a spinning attack. Screenshots that we've seen (some of which can be seen in our media gallery) show massive boss fights.

skyknightrodea201101200.jpg
    skyknightrodea201101200.jpg

Where have I seen that before! Not that I'm complaining.

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2011
    Sin and Punishment of the Collosus?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, I was just thinking about StreetPass...I wonder if they can use that to combat piracy. Even if hackers disable internet connections, exchanging data locally with somebody who has an updated, legal firmware could trigger some alarms on a hacked 3DS.

They might be able to, though I'd guess people breaking into the system would just turn it off. There might be some worry about the other side of that... if hackers can get into StreetPass and exchange data locally that would cause problems on a system that had legit firmware, there would be big problems. I don't think it would actually happen, but it might be possible.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If we're being honest, drastic improvements to thier online setup isn't that hard to accomplish.

That said, one unified friend code across all games is what everyone was clamoring for (aside from their complete removal) and that it actually happened is pretty significant. I'm more interested in Street Pass and how it gets used in games myself, but I can see myself using online a lot more this time around. Especially if we can see a game like Super Street Fighter being pulled off well with little to no lag.

The fact that you a) get notified when a friend logs on, and b) apparently will be able to see what your friends are playing are both massive, massive upgrades, and together fix a great deal of what I found lacking with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The reason I love how Xbox Live works is because I can be playing a single-player game but still show as visible online, so if a friend of mine wants to play a game or just chat or whatever, he can see I'm online, shoot me a message and off we go. I don't miss out on a multiplayer opportunity because I'm not sitting and idling in the correct menu. So theoretically, anytime I'm playing the 3DS in a Wi-Fi zone, even if it's single-player, I'll be able to see when a friend comes online, and if I want to play something with him or her I can just pull down the menu and send an invite or whatever.

And this is all circular: Since the system is more conducive to playing online easily, I'll be online more—which means my friends will see me more, which means they'll be more apt to play online with me, which means they'll be online more and I will see them more often, etc. It's the sort of ecosystem that pushed me into buying the 360 in the first place, and whenever I hear people talking about how they "don't really need online play" on their Nintendo console of choice, I have to believe that most of that opinion comes from how backwards Nintendo WFC has been up until now.

Of course, as someone else brought up, how stable the online connection is going to be is still an unknown quality—I remember early DS titles being really rocky and laggy at launch but stablizing shortly thereafter—and the whole open nature of how online seems to be structured might lead to a PSN sort of situation where each game has online integrated differently and there's no real standardization of features, but just the sheer fact of having a singular, constant identity across multiple games means I'm far more willing to play games online. Additionally, if the OS and menu are still live when playing DS games on BC, that's another big plus: I can be playing DQVI and then get notice that a friend comes online, so I drop out and invite him to play some SSFIV, etc.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited January 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Additionally, if the OS and menu are still live when playing DS games on BC, that's another big plus: I can be playing DQVI and then get notice that a friend comes online, so I drop out and invite him to play some SSFIV, etc.

I have a feeling that your game won't be interrupted with an onscreen popup or sound, though. The light will turn orange and you'll have to tab out to check your friend list, see that it's only Rehab and not that Sporky guy that you wanted to play with, and sigh and go back to your game.

Just conjecture.

UncleSporky on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Additionally, if the OS and menu are still live when playing DS games on BC, that's another big plus: I can be playing DQVI and then get notice that a friend comes online, so I drop out and invite him to play some SSFIV, etc.

I have a feeling that your game won't be interrupted with an onscreen popup or sound, though. The light will turn orange and you'll have to tab out to check your friend list, see that it's only Rehab and not that Sporky guy that you wanted to play with, and sigh and go back to your game.

Just conjecture.

Don't worry, if you want to play something online you can always call me!
    hellohowru.jpg

I do wonder if it's just the orange light flicker, or if there will be some kind of pop-up (probably not, but I can dream), but in either case it's a big upgrade from how WFC has worked in the past.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do wonder if it's just the orange light flicker, or if there will be some kind of pop-up (probably not, but I can dream), but in either case it's a big upgrade from how WFC has worked in the past.

A little popup on the bottom screen, like PSN or XBLA would be nice. You see the popup, you tap to pause and go to friends list.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I very nearly traded the 360 Slim I got for free in to EB Games to get the 3DS. Then I found out I would only get $150.

Fuck. That.

In any case, I will be getting the 3DS this year. This will be the first game system I have ever bought brand new in the first year of its release.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Waaait. You get 150 bucks for a 360 slim? I hope like hell that was the 4 gig verson, then you're only losing 100 bucks. But if that's the 250GB verson, which sells on Amazon for $325....Damn man. What's the line between a pawn shop and a used game store?

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Waaait. You get 150 bucks for a 360 slim? I hope like hell that was the 4 gig verson, then you're only losing 100 bucks. But if that's the 250GB verson, which sells on Amazon for $325....Damn man. What's the line between a pawn shop and a used game store?

Not that much. At least in Arizona we fall under pawn law and have to have a State ID and take a bunch of info down for any trade-ins we receive.

Zerokku on