As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rifts - Chapter 1 : BAH! The Midwest!] Release the Kraken!

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've got some Mini-Missiles, but like Zed said, 1 mile range. Its no use firing them on my next turn, the SAM's won't be in range.

Steelhawk on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    that glitter girl wouldn't happen to have a boom gun would it, then it could take out those pesky suit

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If I might offer some advice to anyone with long range weaponry (boom gun or mini missiles);

As much as I'd love to pull off the telemechanical theft thing with a SAMAS, if those things close our lives get a lot rougher. If you've got the ability to throw out pain at a range further than 4000 feet, you should use it to disable either the Main Jets or Shoulder Wings of the SAMAS wing flying towards us. A called shot to a specific bodypart costs two actions, but anything rolling at least 2d6x10 for damage (boom gun, volleys of mini missiles, etc) stands a pretty good chance of taking out the thrusters or wings, which have 50-60 MDC apiece, in one shot. Losing either means they can't fly and are effectively removed from the fight. The wings have a -3 penalty to attack them. You can spend an extra attack aiming (bringing the total "attacks" spent to 3) for a +2 bonus to the roll.

I can probably mind trick one of these things, but several of them are going to be a problem.

@ Ender: How fast is our little convoy of hostility moving? Also, do Skycycles have an ejection seat?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When Deimos sees the Sky Cycle pilot drop onto the Kraken's deck, he abandons his laser battery and begins casually walking towards her.

As he does so, he draws his sidearm, takes aim, and fires. An enormous and unnatural orb of plasma springs forth from the barrel and rockets toward her.

3d6 +1 strike, +1 WP Energy Pistol, +2 aimed shot = 17

1d4x10 MD damage = 40

The aimed shot uses up his last two attacks. If she's prone I don't think she can dodge, but if she does, she's within 10 feet (-10 dodge).

Octoparrot on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    (Boom gun is a go, though I'm a little out of commission this turn)

Lucy attempts to recover from the laser fire quickly, swearing profusely.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck...!" She yells.

A flash, an explosion. Lucy dived for cover with the rest of her unit.

"Any day now with that cover fire boys!" She barked into her comms. Idiotic hotshot Wolves, couldn't be relied on other than being glory hounds.

"Fire, fire, fire!" She commanded, her double up firing from it's independent position. Armored suits went flying, Dead Boys vaporized. She'd fight the CS to her last breath....

The memories flashed through the Glitter Girl's mind as she noticed things buzzing on the horizon.

"Oh damnit...." She groaned with the 'Why me?' tone in her voice.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If I might offer some advice to anyone with long range weaponry (boom gun or mini missiles);

As much as I'd love to pull off the telemechanical theft thing with a SAMAS, if those things close our lives get a lot rougher. If you've got the ability to throw out pain at a range further than 4000 feet, you should use it to disable either the Main Jets or Shoulder Wings of the SAMAS wing flying towards us. A called shot to a specific bodypart costs two actions, but anything rolling at least 2d6x10 for damage (boom gun, volleys of mini missiles, etc) stands a pretty good chance of taking out the thrusters or wings, which have 50-60 MDC apiece, in one shot. Losing either means they can't fly and are effectively removed from the fight. The wings have a -3 penalty to attack them. You can spend an extra attack aiming (bringing the total "attacks" spent to 3) for a +2 bonus to the roll.

I can probably mind trick one of these things, but several of them are going to be a problem.

@ Ender: How fast is our little convoy of hostility moving? Also, do Skycycles have an ejection seat?

The convoy is truckin' along at about 100 miles per hour.

The CS troops are all riding Wind Jammer model Sky Cycles; I don't see anything in the entry to suggest they have ejection seats, unfortunately.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »

The convoy is truckin' along at about 100 miles per hour.

The CS troops are all riding Wind Jammer model Sky Cycles; I don't see anything in the entry to suggest they have ejection seats, unfortunately.
    I didn't either. I guess I'll just have to get inventive.

How would you handle me forcing the bike into ridiculous spins and swoops to try and dislodge this guy? Pilot checks?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited January 2011
    P.P. checks for the first two rounds, then P.P. checks + M.E. checks (fighting nausea as well as trying to keep a grip on his bike) for every round after that (with escalating difficulty on the M.E. check).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    P.P. checks for the first two rounds, then P.P. checks + M.E. checks (fighting nausea as well as trying to keep a grip on his bike) for every round after that (with escalating difficulty on the M.E. check).
    And that would take up my actions until he failed, right?

Any check on my part?

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    No checks on your part - and yes, that would use up your actions until he failed.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Sounds good to me.

Josh's voice comes over the radio again. "I've still got this guy, concentrate fire on the other bikes and those SAMAS."

Then, concentrating on the skycycle he has telemechanical control of, Josh sends it through a series of spins and loops that would make even the most elite Coalition pilot self-conscious were they to see it.

Just let go, dammit. This will go a lot better for you if you're on the ground than if you're on the bike.

While this is going on, the power armor he's in keeps pace with the back side of the Kraken, hopefully remaining low key.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Just turn him upside down and if he doesn't fall out, decapitate him. On the truck.

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Just turn him upside down and if he doesn't fall out, decapitate him. On the truck.
    I don't think he'll just fall out if I flip it over. And there's a bunch of machinery between him and the truck, plus an MD windshield (that I would kind of like in one piece). Besides, I'm not sure I can get this thing going fast enough to do mega damage to get through his armor.

One possibility I've entertained is simply accelerating the hell out of it and then slamming into the ground. MD materials should handle the impact just fine, his shoulders and spine probably less so.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    I was looking at the picture earlier, just stop the bike before the tailfin gets clipped on something. There doesn't look to be a seatbelt, and even if there is, he couldn't keep his upper body tucked behind the windshield when upside down, so he either chooses to fall out, or gets cut in half.
    rifts_csskycycle.jpg

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    I was looking at the picture earlier, just stop the bike before the tailfin gets clipped on something. There doesn't look to be a seatbelt, and even if there is, he couldn't keep his upper body tucked behind the windshield when upside down, so he either chooses to fall out, or gets cut in half.
    rifts_csskycycle.jpg
    Actually, he's in one of these;

windjammer.jpg

I've got 7 more actions this round. If I don't shake him in the first couple, I'll just start taking aimed shots at him with my onboard weapons.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Snake-eyes on the first check anyway.

Dude's eating pavement.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Sweetness, thinking it might be time to break out the Boomer next turn...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    Matev, do you want me to continue using Dodge actions for you? You're the biggest, most obvious target for the CS forces to fire at, so you can expect more than a few particle weapon blasts to come your way.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Sweet. Now to get out of this bulky suit and into something more aerodynamic. ;)

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    Matev, do you want me to continue using Dodge actions for you? You're the biggest, most obvious target for the CS forces to fire at, so you can expect more than a few particle weapon blasts to come your way.

Egh, yah, probably should, my own fault for choosing the pretty, shiny, HIT ME PLEASE WITH A MISSILE BUKKAKE armor

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »

Egh, yah, probably should, my own fault for choosing the pretty, shiny, HIT ME PLEASE WITH A MISSILE BUKKAKE armor

Protip: You should try to get your hands on a big mega-damage melee weapon of some kind (vibro sword, rune weapon, etc); you could then wield it in your off-hand and parry weapon shots with it, and not have to use-up your melee attacks.

EDIT: Or, alternatively, you could - say - try to grab the prone CS goon and use her as a human shield to deflect some shots. If you were feeling so maligned.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    I'll have to check my books when I get home from work and double-check the GG loadout, though I don't think it comes with a V. Blade....right, that's why I was eyeballing the Cyclops....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    I'll have to check my books when I get home from work and double-check the GG loadout, though I don't think it comes with a V. Blade....right, that's why I was eyeballing the Cyclops....

The Glitter Girl comes standard with the Double Up explosive grenade/plasma rifle, shoulder mini missile launchers, an optional mini missile backpack and optional boom gun.

Please tell me you went with the optional boom gun.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011

The Glitter Girl comes standard with the Double Up explosive grenade/plasma rifle, shoulder mini missile launchers, an optional mini missile backpack and optional boom gun.

I didn't note it down specifically, but if I can have it without issue, I've got it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011

Yeah; with the 'optional' gear I more or less just assume the player is taking it. I mean, I don't even know why the book lists it as 'optional' - it's not like there's any reason not to take it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    Yeah; with the 'optional' gear I more or less just assume the player is taking it. I mean, I don't even know why the book lists it as 'optional' - it's not like there's any reason not to take it.

Rockin, thanks Ender. Love understanding GMs :)

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    It's Rifts! At least halfway through the campaign you'll be like, "lulz boom gun wut?" after having bio-borg'd your character into a ridonks one-girl field army and developed a psychic symbiotic bond with an Armored Slayer that then co-habits your Glitter Girl Armor and turns it into a God shredding machine.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    It's Rifts! At least halfway through the campaign you'll be like, "lulz boom gun wut?" after having bio-borg'd your character into a ridonks one-girl field army and developed a psychic symbiotic bond with an Armored Slayer that then co-habits your Glitter Girl Armor and turns it into a God shredding machine.

Is it wrong that I'm giggling with child-like delight at these thoughts?

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011

Is it wrong that I'm giggling with child-like delight at these thoughts?

That's the idea.

Rifts is the be-all, end-all RPG of character growth through buying gear instead of leveling up. Yeah, you'll gain levels too, but experience points pale in comparison to credits. In D&D, you kill stuff, you level up and you find some nice trinkets. In Rifts, you kill stuff, you collect all of the valuables you possibly can and you go shopping (more specifically, you go shopping at Splynn). And you occasionally glance at the XP chart and say, "Oh, right. I gained a level too."

EDIT: Oh, and if you really want to rake in the dough, you collect slaves. Lots and lots of slaves.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    That's the idea.

Rifts is the be-all, end-all RPG of character growth through buying gear instead of leveling up. Yeah, you'll gain levels too, but experience points pale in comparison to credits. In D&D, you kill stuff, you level up and you find some nice trinkets. In Rifts, you kill stuff, you collect all of the valuables you possibly can and you go shopping (more specifically, you go shopping at Splynn). And you occasionally glance at the XP chart and say, "Oh, right. I gained a level too."

EDIT: Oh, and if you really want to rake in the dough, you collect slaves. Lots and lots of slaves.

Remember kids, we here at Rifts encourage the subjugation and oppression of others! :^:

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited January 2011
    I'm looking forward to surveying my options post-detox.

I'm thinking bioborg cyberknight.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    EDIT: Or, alternatively, you could - say - try to grab the prone CS goon and use her as a human shield to deflect some shots. If you were feeling so maligned.

If I had just used a called shot, coulda popped her head like a pimple. If she's still alive after a 40MD shot she may want to jump off :)

Octoparrot on
    edited January 2011
    no matter how much damage you did in one shot she would have lived, MD armor eats all of it even if it only has 1 point left :) I do recommend keeping her alive, she might prove valuable later. now for my actions for the next melee

Big Jim smiled even more when the cs bike went boom. He decided it was time to really put the fear into the pursuit group. He reloaded then began firing at them in sequence. Shooting one shot at each of them, then moving to the next one.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited January 2011
    Rucdoc, remember, you only make one attack roll. Could you please re-roll?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited January 2011
    one attack roll for 5 attacks against 4 targets?

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited January 2011
    Big spoiler on the round. Forgive me if I'm just saying what you already know, rucdoc.

In a given round, we all take one action at a time, down the initiative line.

Think like:

Round One Action One:

1. Deimos (Initiative 21)
    2. Josh (Initiative 16)
    3. Jimmy (Initiative 16)
    4. CS Sky Cycle #1 (Initiative 16)
    5. Mason (Initiative 14)
    6. Lucy (Initiative 13)
    7. Sky Cycle #2 (Initiative 13)
    8. Sky Cycle #3 - Minion (Initiative 11)
    9. Sky Cycle #4 - Minion (Initiative 11)
    10. Sky Cycle #5 - Minion (Initiative 10)
    11. Sky Cycle #6 - Minion (Initiative 10)
    12. Sky Cycle #7 - Minion (Initiative 10)
    13. Kraken Crew (Initiative 9)
    14. Athren (Initiative 8)

We all take one action. We blew a couple up (this is not exact, it's for didactic purposes)

STILL Round One, but Action Two:

1. Deimos (Initiative 21)
    2. Josh (Initiative 16)
    3. Jimmy (Initiative 16)
    5. Mason (Initiative 14)
    6. Lucy (Initiative 13)

The Crew's out of commission, at least for this round. So no more attacks from them. Also note Lucy used up an attack on a dodge (which means she won't be in for action 4 this round). I used up my last 2 actions this round in one attack. Lets say everything else survives.

STILL Round One, Action Three:

2. Josh (Initiative 16)
    3. Jimmy (Initiative 16)
    5. Mason (Initiative 14)
    6. Lucy (Initiative 13)

STILL Round One, Action Four:

2. Josh (Initiative 16)
    3. Jimmy (Initiative 16)
    5. Mason (Initiative 14)

.....And So on, until the juicers are the only one left with actions, and they bounce around killing people.

Then We reroll initiative for Round Two.

Octoparrot on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of, I think its Mason's go for his attack...

Drawing a bead on yet another Skycycle (minion), Mason lets loose with his particle beam cannon. The port side engine explodes, sending the Skycycle spiralling into the ground.

16 = HIT! for 10 damage
    Mason will reserve one of his attacks for a Dodge if necessary

Steelhawk on
    edited January 2011
    Remember, folks; this is the second attack of the first melee round.

It's a little confusing.

OptimusZed on

edited January 2011
    ok then thats what I misunderstood. then just use the rolls from my first action post but now with the indicated actions from my second post, is that ok then.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

edited January 2011
    Yes, that should be fine.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage