As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Exams Schmexams - schizzoool threadizzle yo

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    and they're all playing starcraft

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd say for most classes there is no need to have a laptop during class, and for the "wahwah progression of technology" crowd a limited non-web capable/campus intranet only tablet would suffice

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    campus could be smart too and just not have full wireless web access in classroom areas

Weaver on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Things aren't quite that bad at Guelph but we're a fair bit smaller.

Also if a prof tried to ban laptops I'd happily point out that it's an accessibility device for me

then if they whined about me foruming during class I'd point out my official diagnosis is for add and give them directions to the center for students with disabilities so they can go whine some more.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    every laptop ban i have seen has a caveat for people who actually need them for non-flash game reasons

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What a rebel

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there are three things stopping me from using laptops for class:
    1) price
    2) potential for distraction
    3) writing maths at close to handwriting speed is pretty much impossible

3 is really the biggest reason
    I guess I could get a tablet but I don't know if I could deal with paying that much for a glorified phone either

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Things aren't quite that bad at Guelph but we're a fair bit smaller.

Also if a prof tried to ban laptops I'd happily point out that it's an accessibility device for me

then if they whined about me foruming during class I'd point out my official diagnosis is for add and give them directions to the center for students with disabilities so they can go whine some more.

what the fuck

claiming that ADHD makes foruming in class OK is akin to "I have to smoke these cigs, I already have lung cancer"

Weaver on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Sure a tenured prof can make all the crazy rules she wants

I'm just speculating that by the time Callius is a full on prof with Tenure and a rockin beard, barring computers from classrooms is going to be next to impossible. Especially since so many universities are implementing paperless everything today.

But hey, reach for the stars kid, maybe there'll be a massive EMP rendering all the world's electronics unusable.
    Have you actually been in a college classroom before?

You seem to have no idea of what you're talking about.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I don't know about that but it is still a really dumb thing to get smug and defensive about

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Basically, students who use laptops in class and surf forums/facebook need to fuck off.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    Basically, students who use laptops in class and surf forums/facebook need to fuck off.

Just like kids that show up and sleep everday and wonder why they didn't get participation points

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My friend has ADHD and was prescribed adderall and I'm really happy he can keep himself focused and now his grades are loads better

But he's so different, less talkative, no sense of humor, gets pretty annoyed if you interrupt his train of thought, that I look forward to the weekends just so I can hang out with my friend again.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like if you're using a laptop to do something that is not class and still participating that is fine

if you are distracting people, that is a pity, maybe learn to use your laptop for something productive

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Just like kids that show up and sleep everday and wonder why they didn't get participation points
    The worst is my vikings class.

The back half of the room will not shut the fuck up. I hate showing up late because it means the seats in the front half are taken and I have to sit with the assholes who don't give a fuck.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    AMP'd wrote: »
    if you are distracting people, that is a pity

It isn't a "pity." It's several fucking thousand dollars of my time being fucking intruded upon.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah when I go to college, I really plan on handwriting as much of my stuff as possible. Not only because it commits it to my memory so much more, but because one of my goals in life is to one day have excellent penmanship.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    my school satchel is full of pens & tiny notebooks

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it's also several thousand dollars of the distractor's time being flushed down the toilet

I understand some frustration towards laptops in class, and if you want them banned, that's your perogative, but the fact of the matter is that you have to take some accountability for your own crippling inability to wrest your eyes from someone else's laptop screen and take advantage of what you are paying, as you noted, several fucking thousand dollars for

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it's also several thousand dollars of the distractor's time being flushed down the toilet

I understand some frustration towards laptops in class, and if you want them banned, that's your perogative, but the fact of the matter is that you have to take some accountability for your own crippling inability to wrest your eyes from someone else's laptop screen and take advantage of what you are paying, as you noted, several fucking thousand dollars for

no. this is wrong.

you wouldn't open up a laptop at a fucking movie but somehow it's okay in lecture hall? fuck off.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    did you just tell cal to pay attention by his own bootstraps

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

What? It's now my fault that the kid in the second row is watching a basketball game?

Fuck off.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I love the look of a notebook full of my writing

It feels like something that's been accomplished

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    as long as they don't have speakers going or something I don't really care

it's just like oh you're dumb and wasting your time, back to the notes

L|ama on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like if you're going to waste your money that you should at least do it in a way that doesn't distract other people.

If you're going to sit in the back row and surf Facebook where I can't see you then I don't really care but if you're going to sit in the front row where I can't help but notice it does get rather annoying.

Sassori on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alex I think it's like we're still in high school so we don't really get to comment on it yet

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

no. this is wrong.

you wouldn't open up a laptop at a fucking movie but somehow it's okay in lecture hall? fuck off.

I really don't see a laptop in a lecture hall as equally distracting as a bright screen in a dark movie theater, but whatever

I have a Luddite teacher who doesn't allow laptops in my Victorian Lit seminar. Why would I need them there? I have a boring econ teacher whose class is a prerequisite for graduation and believes strongly in curving his tests up to an acceptable standard. Using a laptop to dick around in that class isn't going to prevent anyone who was going to learn that day from learning. I would never use a laptop in a math class or a science class, because that's just counterintuitive.

It's an issue of context, and it's also an issue of differing expectations. Maybe you see the class you are in as an interesting stepping stone to your major, or maybe it's just a way to get a requirement done. If you are doing your best not to disrupt the teaching and learning processes, do whatever you want in class, just don't expect a good participation grade.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there is a lot more anger here than I expected

I had no idea other peoples' laptop screens were so compelling

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bryar I go to a hoighty-toighty school which has required students to own laptops since the sixth grade I am most certainly qualified to comment on laptops in a classroom setting

tDichotomy: seriously! leave laptops alone!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I dunno man

I just dunno

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    there is a lot more anger here than I expected

I had no idea other peoples' laptop screens were so compelling

Must. Look. At. Bright. ScreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What if I came to your class, sat right in the middle, propped my feet up and read a giant fucking newspaper?

It would be

disrespectful

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna grill up some fajita meat, stick it in the fridge, and go to bed. It is the weekend and I no longer have to think about school for a couple days.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    if the newspaper werent in my way and you were making as much noise as a laptop I wouldn't care

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    k-12 level schools requiring laptops are just trying to show off and look affluent

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    k-12 level schools requiring laptops are just trying to show off and look affluent

I don't deny it

and they are probably not necessary at school

they are still very convenient

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    if the newspaper werent in my way and you were making as much noise as a laptop I wouldn't care

For me I could careless what people are doing as long as you're not making noise in the class or being disruptive with loud tikataking or music or movies with sound.

This chick in my class texts on her phone everyday and I notice because I sit in the back. I could careless about that but anytime she opens her fat fucking mouth I wanna punch her because she literally only opens the class to be a disruptive bitch and waste everyone's time.

The teacher has literally just started ignoring her now and when she was being annoying trying to ask a question the teacher said; Oh I'm just ignoring her like how she ignores me half the time.

Man that was great.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ugh now I'm reminded of work meetings where everyone shows up, dicks around booting their laptops and plugging in and then nobody types or looks up anything

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    if you read a newspaper in class it would warm the cockles of my heart, because I have sentiment for old media

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PRINT MEDIA IS DEAD

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
This discussion has been closed.