As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright. I just picked this up and am installing it right now.

I need some input on character abilities and powers to help me make my dude. What I'm gonna do is provide a list of a few DC characters who I would like to mimic or emulate. Can you guys tell me which on the list I will be able to most closely match a character to.

1) Mera (Queen of Atlantis, Aquaman's wife). Her water constructs and sorcery are pretty awesome.
    2) Deadshot (Secret Six)
    3) Catman (Secret Six)
    4) Dr. Light (Kimeo, member of the Justice League. Not the evil Dr. Light)

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I need some input on character abilities and powers to help me make my dude. What I'm gonna do is provide a list of a few DC characters who I would like to mimic or emulate. Can you guys tell me which on the list I will be able to most closely match a character to.

1) Mera (Queen of Atlantis, Aquaman's wife). Her water constructs and sorcery are pretty awesome.
    2) Deadshot (Secret Six)
    3) Catman (Secret Six)

The powers available right now are Fire, Ice, Nature, Sorcery, Gadgets and Mental. You could easily make Deadshot and Catman by going gadgets, acrobatics, and then dual pistols or martial arts. Mera most likely if you go for Sorcery (or maybe ice). Apparently the first expansion will be Green Lantern based and have Light as a new power we can select, so you may want to hold off on anything construct based until then.

Keep in mind each power set is linked to a role in combat. Fire and Ice are tanks, Sorcery and Nature are healers while Mental and Gadgets are Controllers. Controllers basically provide a lot of CC and regen Power (mana) to their groups.

Raiek on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

2) Deadshot (Secret Six)
    3) Catman (Secret Six)

id probably say Catman or Deadshot (tho I havent seen wrist guns anywhere)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raiek wrote: »

2) Deadshot (Secret Six)
    3) Catman (Secret Six)

The powers available right now are Fire, Ice, Nature, Sorcery, Gadgets and Mental. You could easily make Deadshot and Catman by going gadgets, acrobatics, and then dual pistols or martial arts. Mera most likely if you go for Sorcery (or maybe ice). Apparently the first expansion will be Green Lantern based and have Light as a new power we can select, so you may want to hold off on anything construct based until then.

Keep in mind each power set is linked to a role in combat. Fire and Ice are tanks, Sorcery and Nature are healers while Mental and Gadgets are Controllers. Controllers basically provide a lot of CC and regen Power (mana) to their groups.

mmmmmm Green Lanterns.. would be sick if they had iconic powers for like Red lanterns (BLAAARGH HOT BLOOD)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, any character I make now is just a hold-over until the GL stuff is released. If any of you ever visit our Graphic Violence subforum, you'll know I'm a huge GL fan. Right now I just need something to play until I can be a lantern. Then I will be.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What do you like to do in a video game, Lucas?

Also you going hero or villain? The heroes are over on Death & Glory, a PvP server. Villains on Darkness Falls, PvE.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, any character I make now is just a hold-over until the GL stuff is released. If any of you ever visit our Graphic Violence subforum, you'll know I'm a huge GL fan. Right now I just need something to play until I can be a lantern. Then I will be.

There are some Lantern related quests at high level in Metropolis. I'm just starting to get to them at level 19. Also, the primary hourly PvP event in Metropolis is called Ring War and involves helping Green or Yellow lanterns charge up their batteries before the other side can.

Raiek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I typically enjoy playing support. Not necessarily healing, just filling a role that isn't DPS. Control sounds fun. I always liked the enchanter class in EQ.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Then that may be a good choice for you, control does... exactly that. A lot of holds, stuns and such. Gadgets and Mental have both in spades, but also are fun power sets in general. The first power in the telekinetic tree for Mental for instance lifts up your enemy and will fling the closest moveable object at them.

So for instance if you do this to a guy near the street in one of the cities, it could grab a car and throw it at their helplessly dangling form.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy crap! A 6gig download is required after the disc installation? Did they forget to include half the game at the time of printing or something?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did my first Duos run as my 30 villain. It was actually really fun. Need more 30 Villains to play with though! I'd like to try out raids and what not. My hero is up to level 15ish now too, so working on 30 with him next.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the duos are fun, aside from that one pull.

You know.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finally got to play it. Unfortunately I'll be busy all weekend so I won't be playing more until Monday. Got to level 12 on a Villian though. Joker is the coolest mentor.

Playing on Redemption PVE on PS3.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Finally got to play it. Unfortunately I'll be busy all weekend so I won't be playing more until Monday. Got to level 12 on a Villian though. Joker is the coolest mentor.

Playing on Redemption PVE on PS3.

What's your villain's name, Master? I'm on Redemption as well as a Villain, I'll toss you a friend invite. Not sure if mics are working again for PS3 or not. Last I checked they weren't, which is something I really, really hope they address soon. >_<

My Villain's name is Raiek.

Raiek on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I read through the thread on the sony forum about the triple damage with melee attacks while flying. There's a lot of typical official-forum whining and bitching, but it seems like there's a serious problem underneath.

From what I've seen, it looks as though you only achieve your listed DPS with melee attacks, while flying, and everyone else is underpowered. But this oversight happened early, and they balanced the damage output against the bug.

Or so it seems to me.

More disturbing is that thread has been going for 10 pages and not a single post from a mod or community manager..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That could explain how I got shanked by a level 13 when I was a 17 doing the blow up Lexcorp cars mission by Metropolis General Hospital. I never saw him drop super charge spell on me but I was getting pummeled. It was just too much of a level gap compared to how much life I was getting chipped off me.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's definitely a bug, but not the way you think.

If you have a 70~ DPS weapon, and your precision gives you another 20 odd DPS and you "white damage" for 30 a hit, you're NOT doing the proper DPS.

I am ice/flight/brawler, here are my vitals. 68 DPS weapon, 106 precision in PvP gear. I am parsing my DPS with white punches at about 45DPS. When I am flying, I put out ~ 115 DPS.

Now, figure that I am in DPS role, which is boosting my overall DPS 35%. If we take 115*.65 we get 74.75 DPS BEFORE the 35% damage buff from Damage role.

Now, my weapon is 68 DPS, I get an aditional 10.6 DPS from my precision, which puts me at about 78.6 DPS. Considering my sample pool for hits I'd say this is within the margin of error.

If we play the same game with the punches on the ground.

45*.65=29.25 DPS. Now, which damage looks more in line with the weapons stats?

I think there is obviously a bug, but it isn't what you think. It seems to me that the "bugged" damage from flight is more in tune with the DPS we should actually be doing.

In my opinion there is no reason why combo's should do inherently more damage per hit, they do other things like stun, knock down, lift, or they do 3 hits at a time for the same damage as one white hit.

The bug is there, but it isn't flying brawlers etc who are getting screwed it is everyone else.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Sooo, if i was to wear my green lantern t-shirt and hoodie in publix your response would be..?

"MINE"

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So...do you ever meet the actual Barbara Gordon in this game or is it just her Oracle avatar that shows up?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So...do you ever meet the actual Barbara Gordon in this game or is it just her Oracle avatar that shows up?

I'm up to Level 22 Hero/Gadget/Batman Mentor exclusively questing in Gotham and I haven't met her yet aside from the avatar voice-overs.

However..
    I think you may fight a hallucination of her as Batgirl in the Scarecrow fight. There were one or two bat-family members I didn't immediately recognize. There was Robin, Nightwing, Batman, and two females. I think one of them was wearing Barbara's Batgirl costume (as opposed to the current Batgirl who fights with you at that point).

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kemal86 wrote: »

I'm up to Level 22 Hero/Gadget/Batman Mentor exclusively questing in Gotham and I haven't met her yet aside from the avatar voice-overs.

However..
    I think you may fight a hallucination of her as Batgirl in the Scarecrow fight. There were one or two bat-family members I didn't immediately recognize. There was Robin, Nightwing, Batman, and two females. I think one of them was wearing Barbara's Batgirl costume (as opposed to the current Batgirl who fights with you at that point).

I think one of them is Huntress. It looked like the model of her from a villain storyline.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Kemal86 wrote: »

However..

I think one of them is Huntress. It looked like the model of her from a villain storyline.

Also that was Batwoman, not a Batgirl.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    One of them is Huntress, and the other is Black Canary.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a bunch of lvl 30 villains raping the bohemia police station on Death & Glory. That kind of shit needs to stop, a buffer zone or something needs to be in an update (because you put too many people hiding inside the station itself, it becomes a problem).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How do you guys feel about the lifetime subscription?

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes I love when games are broken.

I just played my second Arena PVP Match. Both were on the Moon, and we won both of them. After the match, I got the feats for winning 10 matches, 10 matches on the Moon, and 10 matches in a row. +75 or so Feat points, oh yeah!

Kemal86 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    So does anyone know a good way to get game time for cheap? Time cards, any of that sort of thing?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Honestly it'll be getting your Heroic ass raped by Villains rather than a queue that will make you wanna roll a Villain on Darkness Falls xP.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I messed around with rank permissions so anyone in the league can invite on DF. I'm usually around at random times, if you message me i'm happy to switch to whoever to invite to whichever side.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    PS3 version has started crashing on me with ever-increasing frequency since yesterday, and always at the worst possible times. Sigh. Going on the 4th or 5th time today so far.

Kemal86 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gives me a glimmer of hope that it's a client-side issue then!

Arthil on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok, the last battle of Arkham Asylum instance on hard mode ,where you fight Scarecrow / Mr. Freeze / Poison Ivy all at once to save Joker (as a villain). Has anyone beaten this? I had a really good group today and we rolled through every instance except this one, no matter what we tried , we couldn't beat the final battle.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone playing this on PS3? Wondering if it's any good on consoles or if I should just pick it up for the PC when the time comes.

Also is it the general consensus not to roll on a PvP server? Cause I'm not a huge fan of it but I like having the option.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pug rage venting.
    My healer, 2 tanks, and a controller. Both tanks lowest level possible to queue, my healer is the equal level of the mobs, the controller is the highest at +2 to the mobs. Controller refuses to go into his stance to give us mana regen, meaning im healing 3 times then im completely out of power, trying to build it back up and we've died about 28 times. Rawrrghsghsg. I've had to repair at the vendor in the entrance twice already. Jeebus H. I'm only level 15!

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So I went and did something crazy, in that I'm now in this game for a lifetime. Patching right now.

Ceno on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Surprisingly, i've not encountered too many incompetent PUG's.

Then again, I advocate kicking people who refuse to play their roles.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh that does sound good I did a few alert pugs on my way to 30 *so close now half a level* and I'd be a healer and everyone else dps... very annoying. *sad panda*

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sounds like we just need to do league runs, and never group with pugs ever again. Right guys? RIGHT?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    RIGHT!

Also welcome to the fold Ceno, you crazy SOB.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    RIGHT!

Also welcome to the fold Ceno, you crazy SOB.

Thanks! I look forward to your far superior OP, lol. Do we have a PVE Heroes League as well?

Ceno on
This discussion has been closed.