As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: January's done, use the next thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-143-invisible-walls/709693
    Busaiku wrote:
    Some numbers/info from Invisible Walls again.
    100 games sold over 100k.

13 Wii games in top 30.
    8 360 games in top 30.
    5 PS3 games in top 30
    4 DS games in top 30.
    3 PSP games in top 200.

No Move games in the top 30.
    3 or 4 Kinect games in top 30.

Just Dance 2 - ~2 million
    Donkey Kong Country Returns - 1.344 million
    Super Mario All Stars - ~500k
    God of War Ghost of Sparta - About 100k-150k/roughly 10% as much as Chains of Olympus's first 2 months

GBA - 42
    GCN - 2
    DS - 2,512,317
    PS2 - 75,428
    PS3 - 1,209,660
    PSP - 428,566
    Wii - 2,355,151
    X-Box - 0
    360 - 1,856,438
    PSP IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Couscous on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ouch. That is decisively brutal.

Also, two new GameCubes sold in December? I honestly have no idea why that would happen or where they would be found in retail. It makes a lot more sense to just buy a Wii and have twice as much GameCube.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The gap between the GCN and the Xbox is slowly closing. A couple more decades of this and boy howdy will Microsoft ever have egg on their face.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm surprised that PS2 still sells like it does.

Though, needing it too play most PS2 games these days might have something to do with it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yes, Nintendo announces stuff late, but let's face it the Wii is nearing the end of its life so there won't be a lot of games.

Do we really know that? We're in serious uncharted territory now with this gen. Any other gen, we'd already have some new consoles hit the market, or at least be announced and thoroughly drooled over. I think all three console makers are trying to stretch the generation as long as they can... we could go multiple more years before we get any new consoles announced.

And yes, I think that applies to Nintendo too. Why do they have to go first, when it's been proven again and again that horespower no longer matters to the market at large?

I don't think Wii has the capacity to last that much longer (as in outlast 360 and PS3) not only due to its hardware, but because of the ever deteriorating 3rd party situation. I don't mean this in a doom and gloom way, I think the Wii is a fantastic console, loads of good and great games, but I honestly think it will be hard not to lose momentum if they stick with it longer than necessary. I'm of course, open to be surprised and I'm sure Nintendo has a few things up their sleeve, but still, that's what I think.

Of course, by this I don't mean N6 (I won't call it Wii 2! :P) will be coming out this year, but a mid-late 2012 release with a 2011 announcement wouldn't be shocking. Of course this leaves Zelda in a tough spot.

See, and if the console sales and success were determined by their capabilities, this would make sense. However, considering that the Wii is the top seller (except for the 5-6 month streak this year of the 360 being the top seller in the US) and the mass market appeal of the Wii, even with its shortcomings, means that it doesn't make any sense.

People who buy a 360 or PS3 as their sole or primary gaming platform, aren't going to really care about the Wii, or a successor from Nintendo. So it doesn't matter to Nintendo what they think. People who purchase a Wii as a primary console, either because they love the Nintendo franchises or because they like the motion control, aren't going to care about a successor because they are enjoying the console now and enjoying the latest releases that have hit it this past Christmas. They don't feel that a new one needs to come out because they still are playing games on the Wii as it is. Until they see a reason to buy another console (Kinect, perhaps? Or whatever Nintendo decides to blow our minds away with next) they won't be thinking, "Man, I wish Nintendo would release a more powerful version of the Wii.

The latest numbers just show this even more:
    13 Wii games in the top 30, more than any other console.
    Just Dance 2 - 2 million
    DKCR - 1.3 million
    Mario All Stars - 500k

"Outlasting" the 360 or PS3 has nothing to do with the hardware capabilities. It's just the public perception and sales, and right now, Nintendo is on top. Unless they somehow took a negative drop in console ownership like that one chart proposed, I don't think Nintendo is going to release a new console until they have to. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes, Nintendo announces stuff late, but let's face it the Wii is nearing the end of its life so there won't be a lot of games.

Do we really know that? We're in serious uncharted territory now with this gen. Any other gen, we'd already have some new consoles hit the market, or at least be announced and thoroughly drooled over. I think all three console makers are trying to stretch the generation as long as they can... we could go multiple more years before we get any new consoles announced.

And yes, I think that applies to Nintendo too. Why do they have to go first, when it's been proven again and again that horespower no longer matters to the market at large?

I don't think Wii has the capacity to last that much longer (as in outlast 360 and PS3) not only due to its hardware, but because of the ever deteriorating 3rd party situation. I don't mean this in a doom and gloom way, I think the Wii is a fantastic console, loads of good and great games, but I honestly think it will be hard not to lose momentum if they stick with it longer than necessary. I'm of course, open to be surprised and I'm sure Nintendo has a few things up their sleeve, but still, that's what I think.

Of course, by this I don't mean N6 (I won't call it Wii 2! :P) will be coming out this year, but a mid-late 2012 release with a 2011 announcement wouldn't be shocking. Of course this leaves Zelda in a tough spot.

they could always just pull a twilight princess and have an enhanced port be a launch title. ultimately though, it really wouldn't make a difference to zelda sales if the super-wii was announced and launched this year. as long as there's guaranteed backwards compatability, people would still go out in droves to buy it simply because it's a zelda title.

my dream for the super wii is essentially a very marginally beefier ps3 (like a ps3 with a gamecube duct taped to it) that has the ability to upscale current wii games to 720p and somehow add anti-aliasing. what i'm asking for though is probably some kind of dark sorcery that's not really possible. it'd launch at $280-$300 and come out in spring 2012.

the new hook would be a one size fits all glove that acts as an advanced version of the vitality sensor that lets games be tailored to your reactions. or some kind of miracle cream that you ingest and SUDDENLY 3-DEEE ALL UP INS

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    ArcSyn: while i agree with everything you said, but it'd still be smart business sense for nintendo to try to expand their already expanded market to include hardcore gamers. why settle for the biggest slice of the pie when you can just take the whole thing?

Guek on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »

See, and if the console sales and success were determined by their capabilities, this would make sense. However, considering that the Wii is the top seller (except for the 5-6 month streak this year of the 360 being the top seller in the US) and the mass market appeal of the Wii, even with its shortcomings, means that it doesn't make any sense.

People who buy a 360 or PS3 as their sole or primary gaming platform, aren't going to really care about the Wii, or a successor from Nintendo. So it doesn't matter to Nintendo what they think. People who purchase a Wii as a primary console, either because they love the Nintendo franchises or because they like the motion control, aren't going to care about a successor because they are enjoying the console now and enjoying the latest releases that have hit it this past Christmas. They don't feel that a new one needs to come out because they still are playing games on the Wii as it is. Until they see a reason to buy another console (Kinect, perhaps? Or whatever Nintendo decides to blow our minds away with next) they won't be thinking, "Man, I wish Nintendo would release a more powerful version of the Wii.

The latest numbers just show this even more:
    13 Wii games in the top 30, more than any other console.
    Just Dance 2 - 2 million
    DKCR - 1.3 million
    Mario All Stars - 500k

"Outlasting" the 360 or PS3 has nothing to do with the hardware capabilities. It's just the public perception and sales, and right now, Nintendo is on top. Unless they somehow took a negative drop in console ownership like that one chart proposed, I don't think Nintendo is going to release a new console until they have to. :P
    I bought the Wii because I love Nintendo franchises and motion controls and all that, at this point I'm more than happy with it and don't need the next one. That doesn't mean I can't distance myself enough to realize that it's quite likely that the Wii will get a successor in 2012/early 2013 or so. It's not rocket science.

For starters, I think you took what I said as "capacity to last" as a comment about its graphics capabilities. I didn't. I said and meant that I don't think it has the capacity to pull a much longer life cycle because, even if they have surprises lined up and they certainly do, we can't expect that a myriad of good games will suddenly appear out of nowhere that will make it seem like it's the Spring of its youth. Nintendo is really busy with the 3DS( which I realize also means their focus right now isn't on making a new console, which is why I'm not saying it's coming out tomorrow) and the 3rd party support is meager, so chances are, Wii's lineup will become more and more empty. Which makes sense, because the console is entering its damn 5th year!

Wii sales are decreasing, they had the obvious Christmas spike and well, it sold bucketloads, so of course it had nowhere to go but down, but they're decreasing nonetheless. If a regular flow of good/successful games doesn't keep coming out, it will lose momentum and tarnish the brand. This is nothing outlandish or weird, it's normal for a console with 5 years that has amazing success under its belt.

Now about hardware capabilities, I agree that has nothing to success or even quality, but it does have an impact on how long a console can last if it has poor support (or rather the poor support stems mostly from its hardware). Of course the Wii will keep selling, as will the evergreen titles, but unless Nintendo somehow pulls out of its hat a shit ton of games for 2011, it's entering its golden years software wise and of course saleswise, I don't see it going up.

If you believe that it's probable that the Wii will see a revival where it will have another great year filled with regular good games, an increase in sales or that realistically Nintendo can only release their next console in like, late 2013 or more without damaging their brand/userbase if they don't have nearly enough games during that period, OK cool, I just don't see it.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i predict at E3 we'll see pikmin 3 and starfox wii announced for this year with the very slight possibility of a wii music 2 as well. there'll be 2, maybe 1, unexpected 3rd party game announced similar to how goldeneye was revealed and that'll be it. We also might finally see a vitality sensor game, but probably not. Most of this E3 will be devoted to the 3DS for nintendo. Come january 2012, nintendo holds another nintendo world conference in japan and unveils the next wii to debut holiday 2012. Much like how the original wii was teased, we'll get the actual coming out party for the super-wii at E3 2012. After 2011, the wii's software lineup will dry up and 2012 will be completely barren until the super-wii is released, becomes self aware, and launches US missles to russia.

If we're lucky, and goddamn I hope we are, The Last Story and Xenoblade will be announced sometime this year as being localized outside of japan by nintendo.

Guek on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rehab wrote: »

Also, two new GameCubes sold in December? I honestly have no idea why that would happen or where they would be found in retail. It makes a lot more sense to just buy a Wii and have twice as much GameCube.

Just what are you trying to say here?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    i predict at E3 we'll see pikmin 3 and starfox wii announced for this year with the very slight possibility of a wii music 2 as well. there'll be 2, maybe 1, unexpected 3rd party game announced similar to how goldeneye was revealed and that'll be it. We also might finally see a vitality sensor game, but probably not. Most of this E3 will be devoted to the 3DS for nintendo. Come january 2012, nintendo holds another nintendo world conference in japan and unveils the next wii to debut holiday 2012. Much like how the original wii was teased, we'll get the actual coming out party for the super-wii at E3 2012. After 2011, the wii's software lineup will dry up and 2012 will be completely barren until the super-wii is released, becomes self aware, and launches US missles to russia.

If we're lucky, and goddamn I hope we are, The Last Story and Xenoblade will be announced sometime this year as being localized outside of japan by nintendo.

I'd love a Wii Music 2 with Motion Plus. The first one was SO overrated! With more polish, DLC (free DLC), ability to create music from scratch and better sound quality = success!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Actually, I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Afterall, you were the one who only delivered two of Nintendo's last gen consoles to children this year. How many wishlists from kids who just woke up from being comatose for half a decade did you disregard? When did you turn from being so jolly to a man who derives satisfaction from shattering the hopes and dreams of kids who want an old gaming system that has been off the market for years and is housed entirely within a new system that can be found everywhere?
    And lastly, why not give each of those kids another GameCube and some duct tape.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me or is that a halfway decent number of PSPs sold given how bad the software situation is?

I kind of thought that the newer PSPs were still being avoided as far as custom firmware goes. Seems odd.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd love a Wii Music 2 with Motion Plus. The first one was SO overrated! With more polish, DLC (free DLC), ability to create music from scratch and better sound quality = success!

How exactly was Wii Music overrated? Everything I heard about it said that it was crap.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Actually, I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Afterall, you were the one who only delivered two of Nintendo's last gen consoles to children this year. How many wishlists from kids who just woke up from being comatose for half a decade did you disregard? When did you turn from being so jolly to a man who derives satisfaction from shattering the hopes and dreams of kids who want an old gaming system that has been off the market for years and is housed entirely within a new system that can be found everywhere?
    And lastly, why not give each of those kids another GameCube and some duct tape.
    Coal_Hands.png

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Never gets old. :lol:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Maybe one person bought both and taped them together.

Edit: beated because I am a slow replyer.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

How exactly was Wii Music overrated? Everything I heard about it said that it was crap.

wii music was a really really cool game that had the misfortune of having nintendo being the developer.

having a mario paint-esque music creator and a free online sharing community would have made it incredible. as is, limiting your soundtrack to public domain songs was an awful, AWFUL move that meant it was a game with a really brilliant concept but with no means of enjoying it.

Guek on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pikmin 3? Oh yes. I love me some Pikmins. I 100%ed Pikmin 2, but couldn't play it again. Those dungeons are brutal.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I was really looking forward to Wii Music until I learned that you wouldn't be able to actually create music.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is it just me or is that a halfway decent number of PSPs sold given how bad the software situation is?

I kind of thought that the newer PSPs were still being avoided as far as custom firmware goes. Seems odd.

Nah the newer PSP's were hacked around November I think. Plus there's other avenues people can get their games that won't be recorded, namely used copies and the PSN. If the situation in the US is anything like it is here, those are really the only two options you have if you want to play most of the PSP's library.

Hardware sales for the PSP have always been good though. Worldwide it's sold 62 million units, nearly three times as many units as the GC (21.7 million) and Xbox (24 million).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Retail sucks balls with handheld games. The DS gets only small sections of stores from what I have seen. I can't remember how bad the PSP situation is. However, the bigger games should still be easily available.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Those two GameCubes must have come from a Kmart.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Retail sucks balls with handheld games. The DS gets only small sections of stores from what I have seen. I can't remember how bad the PSP situation is. However, the bigger games should still be easily available.

Around where I live, the PSP gets either a few shelves from the PS3 wall, or the games are just put in a permanent bargain bin. Without the bargain.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I could also see Nintendo throwing a bunch of money and resources at Retro to get DKCR 2 done by holiday 2011. The sales of DKCR are amazing.

Except in the UK. Was there a reason ever put forth for that? From what I can tell, DKCR sold amazingly in every territory except UK, where it sold like shit.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

DS gets a fairly large section... at least at my local GS, it has a 12' section just for games, plus another 4' for accessories and the demo unit. The local Best Buy is about the same... these sections are about the same size as the Wii or PS3 sections.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    plufim wrote: »

I could also see Nintendo throwing a bunch of money and resources at Retro to get DKCR 2 done by holiday 2011. The sales of DKCR are amazing.

Except in the UK. Was there a reason ever put forth for that? From what I can tell, DKCR sold amazingly in every territory except UK, where it sold like shit.

Pssh everyone knows Nintendo's 2D release for 2011 is going to be a new Yoshi's Island.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    plufim wrote: »

Pssh everyone knows Nintendo's 2D release for 2011 is going to be a new Yoshi's Island.

Oh god. OH GOD.

Let's push the dream further and say that new Yoshi's Island would be made by Good-Feel.

And then, lets just assume we're getting that and DKCR2.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    some places have an okay ds section but walmart has a laughable selection

Jars on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another Yoshi's Island needs to be inhouse nintendo or not at all. I don't want to see another repeat of that insult they put out for ds.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

For the most part. Gamestops around me are weird. They all have completely different stock on new DS games.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if Nintendo still doesn't pay for store space.

Couscous on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hardware sales for the PSP have always been good though. Worldwide it's sold 62 million units, nearly three times as many units as the GC (21.7 million) and Xbox (24 million).

When you listen to the internet it always sounds like the PSP has been this epic failure for Sony, the reality seems anything but.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

When you listen to the internet it always sounds like the PSP has been this epic failure for Sony, the reality seems anything but.

PSP is probably profitable from Japan alone.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, y'know, software sales. What are its worldwide software sales compared to XBox and GC?

I guess you could say it wasn't a failure for Sony because they made plenty of money on the hardware, but it has been a failure for all the developers and publishers who wasted their time on it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, y'know, software sales. What are its worldwide software sales compared to XBox and GC?

I guess you could say it wasn't a failure for Sony because they made plenty of money on the hardware, but it has been a failure for all the developers and publishers who wasted their time on it.

From Wikipedia:

PlayStation Portable games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.

1. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (3.1 million)
    2. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (2,725,507 approximately)
    3. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2.59 million approximately)
    4. Daxter (2.3 million)
    5. Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (2.3 million)
    6. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (1.81 million)
    7. Gran Turismo (1.8 million)
    8. Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0 (1.32 million approximately)
    9. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (1.3 million approximately)
    10. Monster Hunter Freedom (1.2 million)
    11. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (1.13 million approximately)
    12. Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (1 million)
    13. Tekken: Dark Resurrection (1 million)
    14. Wipeout Pure (1 million)
    15. God of War: Chains of Olympus (1 million shipped)

The Gamecube had 26 million+ sellers, so it's ahead on that count.
    On the other hand, Wikipedia lists TOTAL Gamecube software sales as 208 million, but total PSP software sales as 251 million.

Serule on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if Nintendo still doesn't pay for store space.

They don't, or at least don't suck up to gamestop like the other guys.

Algertman on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I don't think this is true at all. Atlus, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Falcom, Key and Square have all done well on PSP. I hope that if 3DS really does crush the PSP2 out of existence, there's still a place for Falcom console releases.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Atlus, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Falcom, Key and Square have all done well on PSP.
    Numbers, quotes from the company that says they're satisfied with their profits?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    IT's interesting that the PSP has sold more software than the Gamecube, but not by a whole lot when you consider the hardware has sold 3 times as many units.

SirUltimos on