As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No, no we don't =(.

Also mine wont exactly be -far- superior... mostly quotes of useful information posted here by people that I've bookmarked, and links to things with a tonne of information.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would be willing to start up a PVE Heroes League (though my abilities to be a league leader would be almost entirely ceremonial, lol). Anyone who's interested? I could use server suggestions and the like, as I haven't even gotten to create a character yet.

Ceno on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know Ceno, we have two leagues already so we are kind of split with the pvp heroes league on D&G where I know a few of us have hit 30. And the villains pve league on Darkness Falls where I know people hit 30 as well. That splitting us again would probably not be the greatest thing at this moment.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I don't know Ceno, we have two leagues already so we are kind of split with the pvp heroes league on D&G where I know a few of us have hit 30. And the villains pve league on Darkness Falls where I know people hit 30 as well. That splitting us again would probably not be the greatest thing at this moment.

No prob. Just a thought. I'm about to roll on D&G right now.

EDIT: Or not, as the servers are down.

Ceno on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Servers are still down for maintenance atm.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited January 2011
    Well this will give me time to conceive a character. I always spend hours at the character creation screen. I feel somewhat obligated to make a Stupendous Man at some point, though.

EDIT: Ooo, they're back up.

Ceno on
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I am really enjoying this game, which I bought a week ago. I'm playing it on my PS3 (on a European server)...

... On an SDTV :?

You see, I bought this lovely big widescreen TV years ago (before my XBox360 and PS3 days) and it still works marvelously.
    I complained when Dead Rising had such miniscule letters, but nevertheless all other games that appered always too, into consideration that people still have SDTVs. I enjoyed Final Fantasy XI a lot, which worked very well on my 360.

But this game, well, it's horrific regarding it's font size on an SDTV :evil:

The chat window and the texts that appear in the middle of the screen are miniscule, it's more morse code than actual characters. The screens that appear when you access the keypad are equally unreadable. The quest reminders on the bottom right are slightly better, but even then, when accessing the menus and looking at item's stats are still really small letters.

Now I know, you might say, buy an HDTV but a TV is a big investment, and my old one still does a good job for watching TV and DVDs, and almost every game I have. And my TV is a little distance away from my comfy sofa where I play my games, I do not have set it up as if you are playing on a desk with the monitor closer to your face.

So I'd like to know, on the HDTV, are the characters still as small (though very sharp)? Because I don't want to plonk down a lot of cash only to have a new TV that has very sharp but still very small letters which a hard to read from my comfy chair...

I only suffer the occasional disconnect or freeze (say once or twice an evening), so for me it's "pretty stable" for such a young MMO.

So besides the small letters on an SDTV, and the unskippable cutscenes (on the PS3), I am enjoying it very much! I do suffer from alt-itis, having to try out a lot of combinations, and constantly having new ideas to create new characters. But now that I've gotten the 3 lvl. 10 trophies, it's time to focus on one character.

I do find playing a Nature character far more easier than the other characters, easy healing is so useful!
    Speed is very useful to move around quickly, but a bit of a hell when indoors. Acrobatics remounds me of jumping from building to building in my Crackdown days, that just feels epic!

I've made one really colourful character, giving her reptile red skin with yellow makeup and dark red hair, bright light blue emitting eyes, and gear which is dark blue, green and purple. Give her clothes to show a little bit of that red/orange/yellow skin and suddenly you have something hugely different from those three-tone-superhero suits :)

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Surprisingly, i've not encountered too many incompetent PUG's.

Then again, I advocate kicking people who refuse to play their roles.

Ah, so you pick up a group, and then join an alert queue.

I've been joining the queue straight up and running with whatever the game decides to group me... which works for Area 51, and it kinda works for Gorillia Island (now), but once you get to the HIVE Moon Base, it starts to fall apart unless people are willing to play thier roles... Or in my succesful run of it, two Tanks (Fire and Ice) that has thier power source's self-heal supercharge ability and know what they're doing, along with a Healer in the proper role to keep them alive when thier energy/ supercharge runs out. 4th guy was another tank that stayed in damage role, didn't give us a controller...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011

I just perused the area showing what Video Cards are supported for the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the GeForce GTS 240 isn't supported, none of the GTS line in fact.

Think I found why I might be crashing... :(

Arthil on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »
    Surprisingly, i've not encountered too many incompetent PUG's.

Then again, I advocate kicking people who refuse to play their roles.

Ah, so you pick up a group, and then join an alert queue.

I've been joining the queue straight up and running with whatever the game decides to group me... which works for Area 51, and it kinda works for Gorillia Island (now), but once you get to the HIVE Moon Base, it starts to fall apart unless people are willing to play thier roles... Or in my succesful run of it, two Tanks (Fire and Ice) that has thier power source's self-heal supercharge ability and know what they're doing, along with a Healer in the proper role to keep them alive when thier energy/ supercharge runs out. 4th guy was another tank that stayed in damage role, didn't give us a controller...

Yesterday I played the HIVE base, and I need to play it again because what I didn't realize is that I was pulled into the last boss fight against the queen, because the people were pants on head stupid and not following their roles and people just kept leaving. for a 4 person Alert the finish screen showed it took 97 minutes and 15 players to beat it.

No one realized they need to destroy the pheromone blasters to stop additional NPCs from helping the queen, and that they all played the damage role, including one healer. I mean, it's like come on, know what I am saying?

TexiKen on
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

I just perused the area showing what Video Cards are supported for the game, and I couldn't help but notice that the GeForce GTS 240 isn't supported, none of the GTS line in fact.

Just because maybe someone can tell me if that isn't the problem or not.

Arthil on
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ughoieshepiufhfseoihefhwep98fhwe8fs

I hate the Green Lantern stuff so bad. All the Sinestro enemies have so many knockbacks, holds, stuns etc etc it's impossible to do anything for most of the fight. I don't mind CC, but when it's done too much it sucks the fun out of everything!

And to top it off, the in-doors portion has completely broken itself repeatedly. Those stupid Green Lantern adds won't even enter the fucking room half the time, and the times they do they make no difference and the enemies go right for me ALL THE TIME.

Finally; one attempt went well. Got all the enemy adds down and had Manhunter down to 50%.

Then he went to the upper level, healed to full instantly and when I got up there to re-engage the whole place reset.

Screw this!

Euphoriac on
    edited January 2011
    Well I just spend about two hours in the game. Loving it so far. Really excited about what's coming down the line. I dig the unlockable styles (even if a large chunk of them are pretty hideous). Is everyone tending to lock down their initial style, regardless of gear?

My hero is on Darkness Falls right now (named Ceno, appropriately). A flying, fire-based, staff wielder. Supes is my mentor. Nice to know I have a lifetime to dink around with different characters.

Ceno on
    edited January 2011
    You do know Darkness Falls is where our Villain League is at, right >.>?

Also I'd LOVE to be able to play two hours straight.

:(

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    You do know Darkness Falls is where our Villain League is at, right >.>?

Also I'd LOVE to be able to play two hours straight.

:(

Yeah, but I want to get my feet wet in PVE. Figured this way I can at least bump into one or two of you. And I'll probably roll a villain soon and join the League.

Ceno on
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is even more fun than I thought it would be!

BEAST! and I are playing Villains on No Man's Land if anyone wants to join us there. I made an ice villain named Snowpocalypse.

More people need to come play with us on the PS3!

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    It's definitely a bug, but not the way you think.

If you have a 70~ DPS weapon, and your precision gives you another 20 odd DPS and you "white damage" for 30 a hit, you're NOT doing the proper DPS.

I am ice/flight/brawler, here are my vitals. 68 DPS weapon, 106 precision in PvP gear. I am parsing my DPS with white punches at about 45DPS. When I am flying, I put out ~ 115 DPS.

Now, figure that I am in DPS role, which is boosting my overall DPS 35%. If we take 115*.65 we get 74.75 DPS BEFORE the 35% damage buff from Damage role.

Now, my weapon is 68 DPS, I get an aditional 10.6 DPS from my precision, which puts me at about 78.6 DPS. Considering my sample pool for hits I'd say this is within the margin of error.

If we play the same game with the punches on the ground.

45*.65=29.25 DPS. Now, which damage looks more in line with the weapons stats?

I think there is obviously a bug, but it isn't what you think. It seems to me that the "bugged" damage from flight is more in tune with the DPS we should actually be doing.

In my opinion there is no reason why combo's should do inherently more damage per hit, they do other things like stun, knock down, lift, or they do 3 hits at a time for the same damage as one white hit.

The bug is there, but it isn't flying brawlers etc who are getting screwed it is everyone else.

This is quite accurate. There's people whining on the forums about how this guy doesn't know anything, but his numbers work even on the lowest-level mobs that have no resistances. There is now a post in that topic from a mod that says they're gonna fix it as soon as possible, but naturally this will probably mean nerfing people instead of, you know, actually making stuff work the way the in-game descriptions say. Of course, the mod didn't specify exactly how it would be "fixed", and it would be rather hilarious to follow the topic afterwards if they decide to bump up everybody else.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The math works well and it certainly sounds like a bug. But if I am "supposed" to be doing double/triple the DPS I'm doing now, I can't imagine any of the game being much of a challenge. Is there an issue with people not doing enough damage in hard mode Alerts and Raids? Because right now at level 25 I kill almost everything real good. (My personal problem is that everything kills me real good too, bosses in Hideouts kick my ass up and down the place.) Even if the descriptions are horribly incorrect, the game, so far, seems tuned to the "bugged" dps values.

EDIT:

Random, undocumented patch changes: The menu bar icons for Character Traits, On Duty, and Social/Chat were changed in today's patch.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about the lifetime subscription?

If you think you'll be playing it a year from now, it's probably worth it. $200 / $15 = 13.33 months.

ffaristocrat on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Almost done with an 8.8 gig download then I think I'll be creating a villain on Darkness Falls.

wusoldjr on
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got a villain on Darkness Falls.

Fire/Brawler/Luthor called "Wiseguy"

Still on the trial though.

And cause I dont want to get ganked 24/7 i got heroes on New Frontier.

Rifle/Gadget/Batman called "Sergeant Striker"

Nature/Hand Blast/Wonder Woman called "Sylph"

Hippie on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is even more fun than I thought it would be!

BEAST! and I are playing Villains on No Man's Land if anyone wants to join us there. I made an ice villain named Snowpocalypse.

More people need to come play with us on the PS3!
    Indeed!!! Snowpocalypse and Dirt Carcass need your villainous help!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fire/Brawler named Rouse on DF. Having fun so far, now that heroes and fucking my day up all the time. It doesn't take 5 level 20s to take out a level 5, guys. -_-

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Any one else having disconnect problems through Steam? Also, how do you disengage your mouse during play to get your pointer active?

wusoldjr on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Pointer only works when you have a menu up, I think.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Anyone playing this on PS3?

Just asking again because I found out my PC can't run this so I'm hoping I can save some cash and buy it on the PStriple. I've heard the controls are pretty good, do people have a usb keyboard they use to chat though? I would actually prefer using a controller to play and a keyboard to type I think.

Inkyblots on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Just asking again because I found out my PC can't run this so I'm hoping I can save some cash and buy it on the PStriple. I've heard the controls are pretty good, do people have a usb keyboard they use to chat though? I would actually prefer using a controller to play and a keyboard to type I think.

there are a few of us but we are spread out everywhere right now it seems...the list of us can be found here if you want to add yourself or join any of us:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhuL-NzYIxMxdHNRVmluRXlzX3loTzN3SzVyWXEzMXc&authkey=CK_I0vcM&hl=en#gid=0

I don't know of anyone personally that uses a keyboard but i'm sure people do

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BEAST! wrote: »

there are a few of us but we are spread out everywhere right now it seems...the list of us can be found here if you want to add yourself or join any of us:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhuL-NzYIxMxdHNRVmluRXlzX3loTzN3SzVyWXEzMXc&authkey=CK_I0vcM&hl=en#gid=0

I don't know of anyone personally that uses a keyboard but i'm sure people do

I bought the PS3 Bluetooth Keypad thing and it's kind of a piece of shit, the buttons are TINY TINY TINY, like the space of the buttons is smaller than the space given a key on the iPhones touch keyboard, and the keys are like a milimeter off the surface of the keypad, I always feel like I haven't pressed in the key and end up pressing it again and end up with two of the same letter in a row. And the keys are ROUND which feels totally unnatural. For 50$ it was a huge waste, especially compared to the 20$ 360 Messenger Pad.

(I'm aware that the PS3 Keypad is a full functioning, battery driven, standard bluetooth keypad, whereas the 360 Messenger Pad only works on the 360 and leeches your controller battery, but I would use the messenger pad ANY day over the PS3 Keypad...I bought both at the same time earlier this week.)

Since the patch on Thursday (?) I've come to the conclusion I can no longer do Legends PVP, my PS3 hard freezes about 30 seconds into every Arkham Asylum legends match, it was fine earlier in the week but after the patch before the one today, nothing but freezes =/

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I use a gts 250 and have never crashed

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2011
    Oh god, so much of my life sucked away by this game today...

It's ridiculous how much of a difference a big, recognizable brand makes in the enjoyment of a game like this. City of Heroes and Champions Online didn't really appeal to me, but slap Dr. Fate and Gorilla Grodd in something, I'm sqeeing like a schoolgirl.

I'll roll up a villain tomorrow so's I can join the league. I've not quite brave enough to venture into a PVP server yet.

Ceno on
  • Fission_MailedFission_Mailed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game is so much more fun than I thought it would be. Haven't had this much fun with an MMO since I first started playing WoW forever ago.

Rolled a villain on Darkness Falls, Ice/Handblast/Joker named Varix.

Fission_Mailed on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, did anyone else run into an issue with "network problems" after the patch yesterdY?

Everyone here in the Middle East can't play all of a sudden after that patch...

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A couple more blue clue maps, for the two of the Alert instances, HIVE Moon Base and Oolong Island. The more I look around, the more resources I find which have this sort of info, but I figure some folks might find this format more handy.

HIVE Moon Base blue clue Collection :
    dcuohivemoonbaseblueclu.png

In order from top to bottom:

Superman:
    It's right on top of the southwestern, er, whatever those support structures are, around the platform.

Lex Luthor:
    To the east and a bit south of the first clue, this one is on the northeastern side of the ramp. After you get this clue, be sure to look behind the ramp, as you might find a loot box nestled in a space underneath it.

Booster Gold:
    Located on top of a building, next to its antenna.

Amanda Waller:
    Just hanging out by some rocks.

The last two at the bottom are, in order of left to right, Lois Lane and Amanda Waller (again). Lois Lane's clue is at ground level, at the base of a tower. The Amanda token is tricky to spot, because it is on the _inside_ of the southern leg of that big structure on the southeastern part of the map.

Oolong Island blue clue collection:
    dcuooolongislandmapmark.jpg

I ballparked this one more than usual, but hopefully it's clear enough. Roughly from south to north.

Lois Lane: On the top level of a docked yacht

Wonder Woman: Just past the bridge heading north out of the initial area, to the left as you head north off the bridge

Will Magnus: On a hill next to a rocky outcropping, with a tree next to it. The clue is on the west or northwest side of the rock, I think.

Joker: On top of some pipes enter into / emerge from the cliffs.

Batman: On top of the building

Circe: On top of the structure over here

TO Morrow: On top of the building, close to the southern edge

Lex Luthor: Bartender, I'll take a blue clue, on the rocks, floating not stirred.

Lois and Superman: On the roof, by the pipes that come out of the roof.

Chang Tzu: Deep inside (literally with the first part), around the area you fight all those little monitor bots or whatever they were called. It's against a south or southwestern wall, I think up on an uprised spot.

Dizzen on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When there's something strange

In the neighborhood

Who you gonna call?...

(Spoilered for size.)
    Devilbusters!

KdCVF.jpg

mloaL.jpg

Trigon never knew what hit him.

There are some hilarious costumes that you can make in this game. It's a pity the customization options require such extreme asspulls to make something original, though.

Archonex on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's awesome.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited January 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I use a gts 250 and have never crashed

Somehow this makes me feel worse :(...

What on earth could the problem be? It's not only MMOs I'll admit too, Just Cause 2 did worse than just crash and actually caused me to BSOD. Fallout: New Vegas tends to crash on me as well. On the other hand Metro 2033 never crashed, neither with Modern Warfare 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

LOTRO crashed, this game crashed, WoW didn't... Aion didn't when I was in the beta. Champions Online didn't, Dragon Age/ Mass Effect 2 doesn't.

I'm just so confused :(

Not like my RAM/CPU is lacking either, I'm packing a Intel Core2 Quad Processor @ 2.66GHz and have 6 Gigs of memory in this thing.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    turn off aero? i dunno

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2011
    Aero? As in... like, the thing that makes my bar look shiny?

Would that actually be the cause of it X_X?

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    i dunno. turn off your antivirus

edit- buy more ram

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2011
    My ram was over the recommended for every single one of those games xP.

And it happened again... at this rate I honestly am not sure if I'll keep playing after the free month. Love the game, it's really fun... but it takes all of 20-30 minutes for me to crash after first logging in now =(.

Arthil on
This discussion has been closed.