As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ledo And Ix go to town and get dissected by first year film students.

124»

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd explain all the nuances of the conversation to them but pretty sure there's just an unbridgeable gulf of understanding there.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • oddbilloddbill Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're just reading us as if we were enemies, while we are reading ourselves as the best of friends ever forever.

oddbill on
    edited January 2011
    Until the next update at least.

When does this thing update anyway?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey you know what? I think Oddball and Blueblue's conversation is pretty interesting, and I don't find either of them abrasive. Of course my opinion of Oddball is colored by the fact that he agrees with me about this series, and he is able to write about what he likes in a descriptive manner, which I am not so good at.

I would also be interested in his write up of the second episode, but he is not a marionette for my whims.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Do you really think that this second episode lived up to the promise of the first?

I don't know about anyone else, but I did.

NotASenator on
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you really think that this second episode lived up to the promise of the first?

I don't think this part of the second episode lives up to the promise of the first full episode. :wink:

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
    edited January 2011
    Haha yeah, actually I had completely overlooked/forgotten that this was going to be a two-parter.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Houk wrote: »
    A bunch of people acting like little kids and/or first-year film students in here, mainly

As a fourth year film student I am crying blood everywhere.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    A bunch of people acting like little kids and/or first-year film students in here, mainly

Now, what do you think that blood is a metaphor for? What kind of thematic impact was your body going for when it released all that blood?

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2011

but what is your response to this thread?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

To cry blood.

Unless he's saying that's what forth year film students normally do, which is to cry blood.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    End wrote: »

To cry blood.

Unless he's saying that's what forth year film students normally do, which is to cry blood.

Pretty sure that was supposed to be the joke, yessss...

Gaslight on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I finally caught this

it was pretty alright I guess? I appreciated that it was more cohesive than the first one

you people complain a lot

Speed Racer on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

And now I'm vomiting blood.

Thanks BlueBlue!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked the bit at the end where things were slowly turning three dimensional

Speed Racer on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know art, but I know what I like

And I like this!

It's exceptionally weird at times, but it's got a good sense of comedic timing and even though some of the jokes were played out in 8-Bit Theater a decade ago, I stopped reading 8-Bit Theater about six years ago so it's all fresh and new to me again

Plus what's there is well delivered, which is 90% of a good joke anyway

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm quite fond of these.

I prefer the surrealistic tangents to the video game jokes, but I'm almost definitely in the minority on that one.

Poorochondriac on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    High five pooro

I have been staying out of these ramblings but that is how I feel.

Langly on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really liked the moment of dawning horror where it just zoomed in on all the people. I giggled.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011

And now I'm vomiting blood.

Thanks BlueBlue!

You're making sure to get this all on camera, right? With my help there will be nothing stopping you from dominating that LoL /dance competition.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This doesn't seem especially deep, it seems more like aspects are kept intentionally subtle or unstated so as to allow the audience to color in the absence of substance with their own interpretations.

Is there a term for that? Some fancy literary term?

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This doesn't seem especially deep, it seems more like aspects are kept intentionally subtle or unstated so as to allow the audience to color in the absence of substance with their own interpretations.

Is there a term for that? Some fancy literary term?

Deep

NotASenator on
    edited January 2011
    Oh you..

Andrew Ryan on
    naknaknaknaknak
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deep is good! People are going to say "what the hell just happened?"
    and I'd better say I like it because nobody wants to seem stupid.
    Ledo and Ix: The Ocean Walkers.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
    edited January 2011
    You know, after re-watching the first episode I think mostly its just a classic role reversal of the expected male and female relationship tropes.

Reverse the genders of Ledo and Ix and suddenly all the depth of their relationship vanishes, they become 1 dimensional stereotypes.

Andrew Ryan on
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I still don't really understand this series, but existential humor isn't really my thing.

That is what this is, right?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought these were interesting. I didn't love the first one, but the second one made me smile a couple times. I'll be curious to see where they go with it.

I took them as sort of a meditation on adolescence.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To me it feels like they're just asking questions without really exploring them. Okay, the villagers act like robots. Why? There's no answer, but more importantly there is no indication that the answer is interesting, whatever it may be. I mean, for all I know the reason is "duh it's a videogame of course they act like that!"

I don't need everything spelled out for me, but give me something to fire my imagination. Point out that the houses in the village are in disrepair, or on the other hand, unnaturally clean. Show me what happens when you shove one of the villagers or get in their way. Zoom in on a bead of sweat that runs down the old lady's face when Ledo presses here to say something else. Things like that would turn a mere question into a genuine mystery.

Butler on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Butler wrote: »
    To me it feels like they're just asking questions without really exploring them. Okay, the villagers act like robots. Why? There's no answer, but more importantly there is no indication that the answer is interesting, whatever it may be. I mean, for all I know the reason is "duh it's a videogame of course they act like that!"

I don't need everything spelled out for me, but give me something to fire my imagination. Point out that the houses in the village are in disrepair, or on the other hand, unnaturally clean. Show me what happens when you shove one of the villagers or get in their way. Zoom in on a bead of sweat that runs down the old lady's face when Ledo presses here to say something else. Things like that would turn a mere question into a genuine mystery.

I'd actually be more annoyed if they tried to supply answers.

I like being able to fill in blanks. Being given a prompt to explore, and the freedom to explore it. It's something you rarely get in mediums like film and television, because there's so much money on the line. There's little room for ambiguity.

Being given a piece that's a question, rather than an answer, is kind of exciting.

Or maybe I'm a huge pretentious douche, who knows

Poorochondriac on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess I feel like I can ask myself those questions without the help of Ledo and Ix

I feel like what has been presented so far are things I have already explored myself or don't want to explore or have seen explored to death in other places so not getting an interesting take on it and instead being told to explore my own take on it doesn't work

I could also just be missing the things I am actually meant to explore or something I don't know I am very confused as to what part of this is making people tap in to themselves

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a lot of ground between immediate explication and aimless ambiguity. I think this risks courting the latter, but that may be an issue of getting where it's going very slowly. I suspect there's a larger idea that's worked out, but I think more attention might be paid to the dynamic of individual episodes. I don't think they're tight enough yet.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I liked this one. I can't really describe why, but I did. perhaps it was the brain fungus cure being sold by brain fungus victims, I don't know.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find a certain charm in the style, but I'm not really sure about the content. It's made me curious to see more, at least.

And to me, this doesn't look like 8-bit graphics at all, more like 16-bit. More SNES than NES.

Ivar on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This ep was insanely good.

It's time we brought these RPG stereotypes to a whole.

Xehalus on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finally decided to watch this.

Eh.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such