As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PARANOIA] The Source Of All Things Good And Right In Alpha Complex

• Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been playing DC Universe Online and haven't really looked at CF for days.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been waiting patiently, like a good citizen.

I may, or may not have evacuated myself while waiting. I didn't want to miss the next exciting installment...

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You open the last package.

Inside is a sealed paper envelope and several datasheets.

There was once a message here. It's now gone.

The rest of the papers are:

-Five maps of Sector Theta-7-NRG, one of each main level. Each is liberally splattered with ominous RED dots.
    -A small slip of carbon paper with daisy-wheel edges. Typed on it is "In lieu of providing traditional equipment, your appropriate officer has been given 500 cr to spend on C-Net as a trial program. REMINDER: FRIEND COMPUTER IS ALWAYS WATCHING."
    -Scribbled almost illegibly on the back of a torn ticket to Commie Smashers! 39 is the following: "In addition, Troubleshooters, recover a contraband I (for Indigo) barrel from Tommy-R-GUN of the Armed Forces and bring it to Commissary #557. -PLC"
    -And finally, large roll-out charts from Armed Forces describing how to disassemble and defuse a Type-669B gas grenade filled with Restatine.

Please roll 1d20 twice in addition to whatever else you post.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    All right! Let's get at those robots! Who knows what C-Net is?

Roll=3

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Oh vat-dammit, not another scrubot uprising...." Aye groans as he studies the orders before throwing the smoking message over the side into the sludge "C-Net, Citizen Gil, is a sub-system of the Computer that allows loyal citizens to communicate with other systems hab-blocks or sectors away via remote terminals be it via Alpha Complex Messenger (ACM) or INFRARED Chat (IRC). Additionally, the Computer has authorized citizens and certain branches of the PLC to sell items over the C-Net, the most popular clearinghouse being C-Bay. Other sites most certainly do not exist and you certainly cannot attempt to purchase contraband through coded messages."

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    (And because I'm a bad citizen but don't want to edit my post...)

1d20=4, 1d20=2

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "In particular, C-List does not exist and is not a site anyone would go to to find, buy or sell anything."

Puns walks over and picks up the charts from Armed Forces and begins to study them. "So which, direction should we head out in?"

13, 20

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I shrug and pick up a map and chart.

10, 7

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also I forgot to roll it twice. One second.

My rolls are 3 and 15.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Whoever throws away the letter finds one more piece of paper inside:

CLEARANCE BLUE

Possible Communist Traitors in Sector Theta-7-NRG

-57.38 rank and file
    -6 co-conspirators forming a soviet
    -2 ringleaders
    -2 Troubleshooter moles

Also give me one more d20 roll for the hell of it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Everyone smile! Our first steps in our journey will be recorded on tape forever!

Also, 11

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    1d20=9

"Sweet Algae-chips!" Aye thinks as he snatches the scrap of paper and scrutinizes it, making sure he's the only one to read it ( 1d20=8 ). He then tosses it casually into the sludge after reading it.

"Just someone's laundry list." He says, "Let's go find a terminal to get our scrub supplies."

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    July smiles and makes the happy hands sign

1d20=18, 1d20=7, 1d20=20

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    1d20=9

"Sweet Algae-chips!" Aye thinks as he snatches the scrap of paper and scrutinizes it, making sure he's the only one to read it ( 1d20=8 ). He then tosses it casually into the sludge after reading it.

"Just someone's laundry list." He says, "Let's go find a terminal to get our scrub supplies."

"I have to check that list for proper branding!"

She snatches it up from the air herself 1d20=19

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    July does not catch the note in mid-air but easily plucks the legible note out of the sludge.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    July quickly reads over the note.

"Huh.

This is very odd for a laundry list. Why would you want to wash communists? And oooh! Moles! I love moles! Wait! I'm not cleared to read this! None of us are!"

She quickly closes her eyes and squirrels it away.

"I must hang on to this until we find someone with the proper clearance. I most certainly did not read any of the contents of that note."

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Extra Roll: 3

High clearance laundry list? We should keep that safe.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Nor did I, hence my assumption that it was a laundry list. Even then, it would not be fit for our eyes." Aye says solemnly.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gilgamesh just smirks as he catches this all on camera.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quick! HAPPY HANDS!

1d20=4, 1d20=15, 1d20=5

Un. yeah. Happier hands you have not seen. HAchacha!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Some of you get lucky and hear the click, see the noxious GREEN gas come billowing out of the Happy Hands sign. Some do not.

Some of you get lucky and get away, huddling in terror on the other side of the CompNode. (The side covered with old computing consoles and without an exit. As opposed to the other side with the exit and the gas-spewing Happy Hands sign above it.) Some do not.

Some of those survive the first plume of gas. One does not.

---

Most everyone makes it to safety in time and is unaffected.

Puns and July do not. The gas pours down their nasal passages, and they choke and gasp as it sears their throats.

Rikki-2, on the other hand, is even less lucky. His body does not take to the gas well, and he immediately collapses, choking, throwing up blood. He's dead, Jim-R-KRK.

Combat round 1 begins now.
    Here's how rounds and initiative work in PARANOIA:

A round lasts for 24 hours. If you do not post what you do during that daycycle, you do nothing. You can only post what you will do once. If you edit your post or post multiple times what you might do, you do nothing. You can of course shoot the shit, discuss, whatever.

In a given round, you can move and attack, or move and move, or just attack, or whatever. If you're entertaining, you can do more. If you're boring, you might trip or fall or something. It's like Exalted, if Exalted was fun.

Always post a d20 roll with your action. You may freely spend Perversity during a given round until I post the wrap-up where everyone acts at once. Won't this be fun?

Puns and July are Snafued - this round, they cannot attack. Next round they'll be fine. They might want to move out of the gas cloud, though.

Rikki is dead.

I need to update Perversity totals and hand some out. I'll do that later. For right now, though, everyone gets 5 more Perversity for this round.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright, time for the Leader to shine!

Puns and July, don't die!

Rikki, when your clone shows up he's getting an official Mori Demerit.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You see that shit?

That's top notch MANAGEment. It's a happy day for these hands. And by hands I mean Troubleshooters. And by happy I mean FUCKING GAS!

1d20=7

I'll go ahead and throw in 4 Perversity points to move the roll up.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to bow out. My time is being stretched between too many things in the last week. And with me going to weekend nights starting Friday, I'm pretty much drained of life. Sorry about this but Rikki 3 isn't coming.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Did you guys breath in that GREEN gas!?" Aye shouts, looking around frentically for something to cover his face with, "Pretty sure if we don't figure out something soon, breathing's gonna be above our security clearance!"

(Paying 3 Peversity)

1d20=15

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to bow out. My time is being stretched between too many things in the last week. And with me going to weekend nights starting Friday, I'm pretty much drained of life. Sorry about this but Rikki 3 isn't coming.

May Antag-R-NST replace him, Friend Computer? MAY HE PLEASE SERVE ALPHA COMPLEX?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gilgamesh holds his breathe and goes back into the room to grab Rikki as a makeshift shield for whatever is coming ahead. Adding 10 perversity to this because I really need to pull this off or 4 of us are down. MAN THIS WILL BE SO AWESOME IF I PULL IT OFF!

Not the worst roll. Oh god let's hope I used enough perversity.

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    With the gas filling the room, Puns chokes and coughs and stumbles towards where he thinks the exit, and fresh air, is.

1d20: 2

And he probably runs into a wall or something

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I've got to save my fellow troubleshooters! (After all, if I rescue them now, they'll owe me later...) I hyperventilate a bit, then take a deep breath, rush in, and pull Puns out.

1d20=15

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    July runs to the relative safety of the others while desperately not dying

1d20=17

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »

May Antag-R-NST replace him, Friend Computer? MAY HE PLEASE SERVE ALPHA COMPLEX?

You are like sixth on the list and I'm going down one by one.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mori and Aye run around aimlessly, barking out orders and doing other things totally non-productive.

Gilgamesh covers his face with the sleeve of his jumpsuit, rushing in and pulling out the cooling corpse once known as Rikki-2.

John tries to run in and push Puns out of the cloud, but he misses his fellow Troubleshooter entirely. Why? Because Puns himself has broken through to the other side and the relative safety and clean air at the bottom of the staircase, caked in sludge.

July was too late to act this turn.

Above all this, the central spherical part of the Happy Hands sign continues to pump out gas. In two more rounds the entirety of the CompNode will be filled. Oh no! Whatever will our hapless Troubleshooters do?

July and John are Snafued this turn. They can't attack, but they can do whatever else.

Round 2 begins now. It lasts 24 hours.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Does moving back to where I was count as an attack? Because if not, I'll do that.
    Roll if needed:
    1d20=8

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aye, not finding anything that could be used as a breather, covers his mouth and shuts his eyes.

"MrrrphMmMrrphhMrrphh!" He mumbles as he dives into the gas, scrunching his eyes shut groping about for an exit, also hoping no clone forgets the supplies.

(Spending 2 peversity!)

1d20=9

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    July keeps running, or starts running, or whatever. Stupid 3 AM posts.

1d20=6

Or I guess desperately stumbles

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gilgamesh will plug the hole in the sign with his dear friend Rikki's bloated face.

18!

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Coughing the last of the gas from his lungs, Puns yells out "Hey guys, any reason you're sticking around in that room? Let's go call the local maintenance team to clean it up"

1d20: 1

Puns then looks around for any hostiles but can't see very much

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    John and July rush out of the cloud of gas and back to the safety on the other side of the room. Aye pushes past them, coughing and hacking as he stumbles out to the bottom of the staircase and (relatively) clean air.

Gilgamesh holds his ground, trying to throw the dearly departed Rikki-TIKI-TAVI at the Happy Hands sign. He misses quite well, but Rikki's clammy dead feet knock the sign off kilter. The frontal shield of the Happy Hands sign falls off with a clang, revealing a bundle of gas grenades beneath. Another one fires with a pop, keeping the spread of gas filling the all-too-small CompNode.

Puns looks around and sees someone - another RED Troubleshooter! "Hello? Is any body down there? Troubleshooters? I'm your replacement for that Riki guy who got his clone template wiped for being a traitorous Machine Empath."

Round 3 begins now and ends in 24 hours. One more round until the CompNode is full of gas.

Boy-R-DEE-1 (3clipse) is now in play. He has a Management of 12, a Stealth of 11, a Violence of 11, a Hardware of 6, Software of 11, and a Wetware of 6. He also has a Mandatory specialty in Energy Weapons at 15.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Yah....Yah....*hack.* Welcome to the Troubleshooters. *coughcough* I'm Aye, this is Puns. Wanna go shoot some traitors?" Aye takes a deep breath to compose himself, "They're hiding out in the Compnode up there. They fired off some smoke grenades to try and conceal their attempt to escape. Puns, do we got a spare laser barrel for our brave hero here? I'm sure the Computer will reward him for his bravery." He nods to his fellow Troubleshooter.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra