As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft's "Harvest" of WH40k

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The evolution thing is similar and unique to both (bugs, Aliens... they didn't collect DNA through warfare), but yeah, overall, they've both branched from their sources quite a bit.

A unrelated but funny anecdote; Michael Moorcock refers to GW as "notorious rip-off artists". I don't think he's aware of Warcraft, though. Arthas would probably draw a bit of ire.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about Arthas?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2007
    What about Arthas?

Moorcock's flagship character is an albino prince who takes up Stormbringer, a great black sword of Chaos, to save his kingdom, and ends up slaying everyone he loves and destroying the world completely.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »
    What about Arthas?

Moorcock's flagship character is an albino prince who takes up Stormbringer, a great black sword of Chaos, to save his kingdom, and ends up slaying everyone he loves and destroying the world completely.

That happens plenty enough.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about Arthas?

LOT did it.

somewhat at least... with the ring and all. the implications are there. not sure if it actually ever happened (not TOO up on my LOTR mythos)

edit - I am neither attacking or defending either side with this post, just sayin'.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited May 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    What about Arthas?

LOT did it.

somewhat at least... with the ring and all. the implications are there. not sure if it actually ever happened (not TOO up on my LOTR mythos)

edit - I am neither attacking or defending either side with this post, just sayin'.

Absolutely. Authors play on archetypes, and game companies give those archetypes visual form, then let people play and dabble with them. It becomes an issue when people decide to make it an issue (whether authors, content owners, or fans), but in essence the cycle is what keeps fantasy and sci-fi genres vital. You've got the cutting edge of creativity (thousands of years ago, in proto-Beowulf or Odyssey tales), modern authors weaving it all together (like Tolkien, Moorcock, and Heinlein), then modern game companies giving them visuals (GW gave mobile infantry a visual look, Blizzard brought that look to video games). Game companies also make them "democratic" in a sense, opening them up to be shared worlds for many authors, as well as players/consumers.

For as much as I respect people like Michael Moorcock for their skill, I think it's retarded for him to dislike GW (and by extension, Blizzard) so much. It's not like he made a tabletop game or video game that allowed people to participate in his stories.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know what's up

but I'd rather play 40k than SC any day.

Well, except days where I don't have ten hours to devote to a single game.

...which are a lot of days

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What about Arthas?

Yup. The big difference being that Elric was an anti-hero. And also much more awesome than Arthas.

And, does the 8-way arrow symbolizing chaos pre-date Moorcock? That's the oldest reference I know of.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited May 2007
    Randomtask wrote: »
    I don't know what's up

Dawn of War.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • RandomtaskRandomtask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know what's up

Dawn of War.

Feck yas.

Randomtask on
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it.
    - Soren Kierkegaard
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know what's up

Dawn of War.

Feck yas.
    Needs Tyranids so bad :(

I'd only be repeating what's been said really. Similar basic ideas branched off in different directions. Both are good at what they do. Enjoy them.

With regards to someone earlier in the thread saying how scifi teaches us humans are the average guys, this is something that I'd love to see changed in a setting. I think it's be neat to have humans be "the strong guys", or "the smart ones" for a change. But then I guess part of the appeal of fantasy/sci-fi is seeing these species that can do things humans can't.

SUPERSUGA on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Needs Tyranids so bad :(

I'd only be repeating what's been said really. Similar basic ideas branched off in different directions. Both are good at what they do. Enjoy them.

With regards to someone earlier in the thread saying how scifi teaches us humans are the average guys, this is something that I'd love to see changed in a setting. I think it's be neat to have humans be "the strong guys", or "the smart ones" for a change. But then I guess part of the appeal of fantasy/sci-fi is seeing these species that can do things humans can't.
    My dream is that one day there will be a novel/game/movie about humans locked in an epic conflict with an alien race. And that that race will just be so much pluckier, so much more determined, curious, clever, and courageous, so much more filled with a love of life, that we'll get our asses handed to us.

I guess it is boring seeing humans be the big strong brutes or the tiny fast-reproducing people, though. We're so used to being the average.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dawn of War was the only RTS to ever take me away from my constant Starcraft playing.
    Now that SC2 is existent, that will not last long.

Snork on
    edited May 2007
    And that that race will just be so much pluckier, so much more determined, curious, clever, and courageous, so much more filled with a love of life, that we'll get our asses handed to us.

That's the whole idea behind the Tau. They have a tiny empire that the Imperium can't crush, because they're so energetic, positive, and determined.

As far as I know, Moorcock was the first to draw the Chaos symbol, which he thought was so cool, he purposefuly didn't copyright it. GW now owns the trademark and eternal wrath of Moorcock... which is funny, because they even gave him credit back in the day, and produced Elric miniatures.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ha! I knew I loved the Tau for a reason.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited May 2007
    They're basically the United Federation of Planets, shoved into the grim darkness of a far future where there is only war. They're cute. They think the Warp is just an alternate dimension of benign energies.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    And Starcraft, with only 1 game and 1 expansion, is already diverging from WH40k. I mean, Space Marines and Terrans have almost nothing but the most superficial things in common. Zerg and Protoss are a little closer to their WH40K counterparts, but really, not that bad.
    Space Marines have nothing to do with each other, obviously, but Zerg are straight-up no-joke 100% direct rip-offs of Tyranids, and I'm absolutely shocked that there was never an IP infringement suit filed. Protoss are pretty damned close to Eldar, as well - a highly psychic race whose own decadence resulted in its downfall, after which a strict caste system was implemented, with a splinter faction who rejected the caste system and lived in the shadows?

Salvation122 on
    edited May 2007
    It's almost impossible to enforce IP when it comes to characters and designs. How often do you see a superhero in a blue suit with a red cape. As long as he doesn't have an "S" in a diamond on his chest, it's considered different.

A lot of the parties involved never bothered to pursue things, either. I've asked GW studio guys about Blizzard before; they just thought it was cool to see an homage to their designs and work. And it's no different than what they did with Moorcock or Heinlein (and said as such in older rulebooks).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    And that that race will just be so much pluckier, so much more determined, curious, clever, and courageous, so much more filled with a love of life, that we'll get our asses handed to us.

That's the whole idea behind the Tau. They have a tiny empire that the Imperium can't crush, because they're so energetic, positive, and determined.

As far as I know, Moorcock was the first to draw the Chaos symbol, which he thought was so cool, he purposefuly didn't copyright it. GW now owns the trademark and eternal wrath of Moorcock... which is funny, because they even gave him credit back in the day, and produced Elric miniatures.

That symbols been around since ancient fucking Greece, when it was "Kaos."

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    That symbols been around since ancient fucking Greece, when it was "Kaos."

I've seen Moorcock claim that he drew it. Perhaps he was referring to a version with arrows?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007

In one of the more interesting scifi books I read lately humanity was conquered thousands of years ago, and are now well integrated into the new society, with the conquerors (Shaa) as supreme rulers, Peers (noble families of various conquered races) as the (corrupt nepotistic) government, and then everyone else below them in the middle class or lower.

Echo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Humans are the smart/strong ones in the Culture series. Well, as a society at least, most individuals are careless slackers.

Damnit, I need to borrow a few of those books again, I do love me some Banks. <3

Glal on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reason #11 Warcraft is actually better than Warhammer: Power Of The Horde

Reason #12: Grom Hellscream

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Bah, Grimgor Ironhide could totally beat up Grom Hellscream.

Echo on
    edited May 2007
    But they wouldn't.

Grom and Grimgor team-up.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Grimgor hates everybody, especially Grom Hellscream.

It's in the rules.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited May 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Grimgor hates everybody, especially Grom Hellscream.

It's in the rules.

The hilarious part is, I'm pretty sure it actually is.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They're basically the United Federation of Planets, shoved into the grim darkness of a far future where there is only war. They're cute. They think the Warp is just an alternate dimension of benign energies.

I dont think they're so cute, they have this whole manifest destiny thing going on with their expansion.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To me Grom is the name of a fat goblin on a chariot.

SUPERSUGA on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Reason #11 Warcraft is actually better than Warhammer: Power Of The Horde

Reason #12: Grom Hellscream

Your reasons are bad, and you should feel bad.

And Tau are the best at what they are. And what they are is space commies.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2007

Who would also take down (or eat) Grom Hellscream. Grom the Paunch didn't get his ass beat by a bunch of trees and a centaur.

Versus discussions are a slippery slope though. I don't think we want to go down that path.

And the Tau are totally cute. The worst they can come up with is imperialism with a dash of facism.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

And the Tau are totally cute. The worst they can come up with is imperialism with a dash of fascism.

Don't forget possible mind control through the Ethereal Caste.

Couscous on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

On a completely thread derailing tangent, there actually is a Sci-Fi book series about this.

The Damned Trilogy by Alan Dean Foster

Wasn't too bad a read. The cool thing is, there's a giant war going on between 2 alien alliances. And one of them starts recruiting humans, because we are the strongest, toughest, most bloodthirsty and most violent sentient species anyones ever seen. It's an interesting turn about from the usual.

shryke on
  • VBakesVBakes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think Grom Helscream would Grimgors ass, most ly because Ive kicked Grimgors ass many a time with non-special characters. Grimgors lame. Archaon however, would beat the shit out of Arthas.

VBakes on
    Therman Murman?......Jesus.
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    so this thread has turned into who would kick whose ass?

how sad.

ege02 on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Has anyone besides the Imperium ever defeated the Tyranids?

Mai-Kero on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

I thought the Imperium only fought off a small portion of the Tyranid empire/hive/whatever it is called.

Couscous on
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

I thought the Imperium only fought off a small portion of the Tyranid empire/hive/whatever it is called.

They took a little hive fleet, but at one of the best defended locations they had, and lost a huge chunk of their forces. The entire First Company of Ultramarines, every man of them the best of the best of the best's best, each one in a suit of Terminator Armour and a veteran of a hundred wars, all dead. And far more than that.

Basically, the Tyranids are just one of the huge, vast, incalculably powerful alien forces looming over the Imperium that could destroy it in a single swat. Like Chaos. And the Necrons, now. And the Orks, if they ever united. (Which would be no fun at all.)

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited May 2007
    So, will the Imperium actually invent new technology? From my knowledge they don't.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited May 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    so this thread has turned into who would kick whose ass?

how sad.

Just in case folks missed it the first time:
    Versus discussions are a slippery slope though. I don't think we want to go down that path.

Also, the Imperium doesn't really even understand technology. Other than random heretics or flukes, the only "new" technology is discovering ancient Standard Template Constructs, holy texts that describe how to create devices using existing tools (read: blueprints).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg