As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel vs Capcom - The Fate of Two Worlds - God Killing and Move Stealing.

1555657585961»

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trish's remix of Lock and Load with the female vocals is really nice.
    What, you expected me to say Spencer's theme? It's nice, too.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like that for Zero they used his theme from X3. Its refreshing.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm glad they brought back the character specific music.
    I'm not. The characters I want to main have bad themes and I don't want to hear them every single match. I also don't care for frequently switching tracks mid-battle.

I'm hoping for a stage theme option and easy custom soundtrack options/hacks in the future. MvC3 can't truly unseat TvC/MvC2 for me until I have full control over my playlist. :P

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    For the most part I like the character's themes. A little too much emphasis on techno remixes for many of them, but someone pointed out that MvC 1 had more rock themes, MvC 2 was more Jazz, so I guess that's the general 'theme' they're going for music wise.

I think Taskmaster's theme is the best - it has actually little techno and seems like something you'd hear in an old Capcom game.

Evil Weevil on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Isn't it the theme from X2?

EDIT: Also...I know it's not Capcom music but I'm still amazed by how awesome SF3:3rd Strike's soundtrack is. MvC2 is a close second, but SF3:3S is where it's at.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone posted this yet?

Gootecks and Mike Ross on crosscounter, they uploaded the CES Capcom Secret Event footage a few days a go. We were talking about unblockables a few pages back, well during the interview with Ultra David and Keits, in the later hal,f they mention low and overhead assists, then show you some in action.

Column on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if Justin Wong was joking about being positive on Phoenix. I mean, I guess Strider had the same problem, but low life is really rough.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if Justin Wong was joking about being positive on Phoenix. I mean, I guess Strider had the same problem, but low life is really rough.

Given how well (or lame, depending on how you want to look at it) Justin plays run away Storm in MvC2 he probably sees similar potential in Phoenix. Rush down when you need to get in there and do damage, run away and lame out the win you don't/can't. Even without being able to build meter from whiffed normals (and I think whiffed specials?) the characters that can fly look like laming it out is going to work in this game. Not many of the anti-air assists look anywhere close to CapCom good of chasing down a good run away character.

Column on
    edited January 2011
    X-23 has super low life too, but her low assist creating an unblockable if you call her while attacking air is too good.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wondered how life meter worked into the overall power budget of a character. There have definitely been low life characters in high level tourney play. I know its important, but the toolbox given to the character in moves seems like it would far outweigh life in balance budget costs.

Too bad those numbers are usually unknown. It would be fascinating to see what moves/normals the developers put high costs on comparitively.

cptrugged on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not. The characters I want to main have bad themes and I don't want to hear them every single match. I also don't care for frequently switching tracks mid-battle.

I'm hoping for a stage theme option and easy custom soundtrack options/hacks in the future. MvC3 can't truly unseat TvC/MvC2 for me until I have full control over my playlist. :P

If it's like SSFIV you hear the theme for player 2. So make sure you're player 1 and having characters with themes you don't like won't be a problem.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited January 2011
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Too bad those numbers are usually unknown. It would be fascinating to see what moves/normals the developers put high costs on comparitively.

Training mode in basically every game has an option to display damage that tells you how much every normal does, how much the total damage a combo does, and how much the individual hits do so you get an idea on the damage scaling in place.

If you mean the active hit boxes, HDR is the only game I know of that natively supports showing them during training mode. ST has a program you can use for emulators to display them all very accurately.

If you mean overall balance then it's normally what you'd stereotypically expect. The bigger the character, the slower they are, the stronger single attacks and special moves will do while having more health. The smaller the character the faster they are, the more you need to combo to do damage, and they have less health. Break that down by zoning, grappling, rush down, etc. by game as well from there with a few outliers here and there that break standard "rules".

Capcom especially suffers from this stereotyping. It's why Sagat's only really bad in the Alpha series, and even then he isn't totally unplayable. He's a large character, so he always has a ton of reach on normals, he's shoto based so special/super wise he's very well balanced, and due to him being a large male, normally has above average health. His slower walk speed never really becomes an issue due to all this. Compare that to Makoto, the "manliest" female fighter in SF who always has below average health (SF3 I think and SSF4 for sure) sitting at 900(?) (Ryu has 1000, the average) when she really should have 1000. They did fix that in AE which is somewhat surprising.

Not sure if any of that is what you were touching on though. A lot of information like that can't always be found in game though, you do need to look elsewhere like SRK, DustLoop, TekkenZaibatsu, etc. for your game/series.

Edit to not double post. New WakeUp Shoryuken! is online and a new video from Keits as well.
    It is finally here! This extra long episode of Wakeup SRK is quite the special, as Ski grills UltraDavid and I about our time with the CES build of Marvel vs Capcom 3! We cover every single character in the build in this episode, so if you've been waiting for our impressions, this is your one-stop shop.

Column on
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, I know this may be in a sort of moral grey area but I recall somebody talking about simultaneously purchasing a game online and in gamestop on release day. (for the benefit and/or discount buying online provides) When the game arrives from the online purchase, you would return the shinkwrapped game to gamestop for a full refund.

Did anyone do this successfully or is this a bad idea for whatever reason?

Sillender on
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Barrabas wrote: »

If it's like SSFIV you hear the theme for player 2. So make sure you're player 1 and having characters with themes you don't like won't be a problem.

Actually, it switches to a character's theme when they come in after a KO, so you'll likely be hearing most of both teams' music in a match.

I'm pretty sure they said there would be a stage music option, though that might have been one of those fake twitters. Sounds right, though, considering they did definitely say the game would have a huge soundtrack

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Isn't it the theme from X2?

EDIT: Also...I know it's not Capcom music but I'm still amazed by how awesome SF3:3rd Strike's soundtrack is. MvC2 is a close second, but SF3:3S is where it's at.

Sorry, I meant X2.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
    edited January 2011
    Sillender wrote: »
    Hey, I know this may be in a sort of moral grey area but I recall somebody talking about simultaneously purchasing a game online and in gamestop on release day. (for the benefit and/or discount buying online provides) When the game arrives from the online purchase, you would return the shinkwrapped game to gamestop for a full refund.

It's illegal, I believe, as it's a form of fraud. It's just not one that is easily detectable unless they really want to check for it. I've seen plenty of people post about things like this with great result be it new games or flipping games for deals. Heavily YMMV between your level of guilt for doing it and the thoroughness of the outlets in question.

Column on
    edited January 2011
    Theres not any way to check for it. A sealed game is indistinguishable from another sealed game. Its no problem to do.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ryu doesn't look too good either... :(

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Column wrote: »

It's illegal, I believe, as it's a form of fraud. It's just not one that is easily detectable unless they really want to check for it. I've seen plenty of people post about things like this with great result be it new games or flipping games for deals. Heavily YMMV between your level of guilt for doing it and the thoroughness of the outlets in question.

Despite how I feel about GameStop and how they won't be getting my money, this is a text book example of return fraud. You'll notice that some stores have begun placing their own UPCs over factory barcodes to confront this very issue (Costco has been doing it for years and others are starting to catch up). There are also rare occurrences where buying direct from the manufacturer (the Capcom Store in this case) will net you a box without a barcode or a "Not For Resale" mark where the UPC would usually be. You can trade these in a GameStop (they don't give a fuck because it's part of their used market now) but you normally can't return them (unless the counter jockey is new and forces it).

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Column wrote: »

Despite how I feel about GameStop and how they won't be getting my money, this is a text book example of return fraud. You'll notice that some stores have begun placing their own UPCs over factory barcodes to confront this very issue (Costco has been doing it for years and others are starting to catch up). There are also rare occurrences where buying direct from the manufacturer (the Capcom Store in this case) will net you a box without a barcode or a "Not For Resale" mark where the UPC would usually be. You can trade these in a GameStop (they don't give a fuck because it's part of their used market now) but you normally can't return them (unless the counter jockey is new and forces it).

So I can't have my t-shirt, discounted Special Edition and my post midnight 6 hour training mode session? ;_____;

Sillender on
    edited January 2011
    Banshee wrote: »

I haven't listened to the podcast so I don't really know what they said. But, my advice to anyone is don't take anything to heart balance wise until the game has been out for a minimum of a month. Even the fighting game experts get things wrong and don't see the whole picture for a good while. It takes a whole community slowly picking away at a game's quirks to find everything, and even small things can change a character from crap to decent or even good.

That's why the moment a review starts talking about "balance" I'm finished reading it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I haven't listened to the podcast so I don't really know what they said. But, my advice to anyone is don't take anything to heart balance wise until the game has been out for a minimum of a month. Even the fighting game experts get things wrong and don't see the whole picture for a good while. It takes a whole community slowly picking away at a games quirk's to find everything, and even small things can change a character from crap to decent or even good.

That's why the moment a review starts talking about "balance" I'm finished reading it.

I think MvC2 was still seeing pretty massive discoveries as much as two years after release.

Of course, now we have the onlines.

Taramoor on
    edited January 2011
    You know what I just realized it's a good thing Dan isn't in this game, because I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to waste my X-Factor for the ability to cancel super-taunt into super-taunt.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

I haven't listened to the podcast so I don't really know what they said. But, my advice to anyone is don't take anything to heart balance wise until the game has been out for a minimum of a month. Even the fighting game experts get things wrong and don't see the whole picture for a good while. It takes a whole community slowly picking away at a games quirk's to find everything, and even small things can change a character from crap to decent or even good.

I think MvC2 was still seeing pretty massive discoveries as much as two years after release.

Of course, now we have the onlines.

MvC2 was seeing genuine new discoveries with lesser used characters like Chun-Li and Dhalsim(maybe more so refinement in his case) as late as five and six years into the game's release. Some top tier stuff, like Storm, overall, was found out early, same with Cable. Sentinel I think for fast fly/unfly, and I know Magneto's ROMing and setups came with time. Some glitches, especially between Arcade to Dreamcast to PS2/Xbox to PS3/360 were discovered, lost/forgotten, then rediscovered, like the Ruby Heart glitch. The game was that broken that it truly became the deepest fighter ever likely to be released by pure accident and cluster fuck. Just like everything about the game, one of the many reasons it is so polarizing.

The podcast is about what every character in the game can do as of that build, and what they might be capable of come release given certain nerfs and buffs, not tier listing. Keits is really the last person to go advocating pre-release tier listing and who is or isn't going to suck. Ultra David and Keits both talk about how with more time this might end up no amounting to anything or might have even more use for a lot of examples. Thor got better, even though he still looks like shit in videos, as they increased his throw range for instance. Ryu is about the only character that stood out to me that they said needs some major help, as everything he can/could do, Akuma will probably do better now. Things like that. It's a very worthwhile two hour listen if you have the time.

Column on
    edited January 2011
    How many revisions did the arcade release of MvC2 have, or was it just one shot? Soul Calibur 2 had like...4?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magneto and Storm had most of the same broken options they had in MvC2 as far back as XvSF. So at least with a new engine they can sidestep that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like rather than getting rid of the overpowered characters, they'd just making everyone overpowered and telling us to deal with it.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like rather than getting rid of the overpowered characters, they'd just making everyone overpowered and telling us to deal with it.

Keits said it best in one of the Crosscounter vids: The idea that every character is powerful instead of fair. Every character can abuse you, and they will.

I'm totally ok with that kind of balance.

Edit: going to need a new thread. who feels up to it?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My favorite thing is assists have to be carefully managed or you will be punished with your health bar dissapearing quite quickly.

Khaczor on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess no more spamming Doom rocks for me... >.>

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or spam them while making sure you're crossing up while they hit so that Doom can't be easily attacked.

SabreMau on
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Was it Sabre that posted the really cool short snippit of MvC2 history in the MvC2 thread?

Although it doesn't really matter since search is down I may as well go and look any ways. Or does anyone know of a good history online? It's really fascinating what MvC2 has been through.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    blaze_zero on
  • GammaCortezGammaCortez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's really easy to add in extra slots or some such with dlc/patches..so I wouldn't say that we'll only get two more dlc quite yet. I'm sure Capcom knows that they have a constant money maker in their dlc.

Although I'm sure we will see a Super version down the road.

I wouldn't count on a Super version, that usually doesn't happen with the Vs series.

GammaCortez on
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    It's really easy to add in extra slots or some such with dlc/patches..so I wouldn't say that we'll only get two more dlc quite yet. I'm sure Capcom knows that they have a constant money maker in their dlc.

Although I'm sure we will see a Super version down the road.

I wouldn't count on a Super version, that usually doesn't happen with the Vs series.

Not usually, but Tatsunoko Vs Capcom did it, and it was the most recent VS title in a while. Considering how much crazy marketing is going on between Capcom and Marvel for this game, I would not be surprised with an upgraded release.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stop bumping old threads!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png