As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CRTC Finalizes ISP Usage-Based Billing / Canada Bandwidth Cap Thread: News in OP/p275

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Update: March 16

A little update regarding Usage Based Billing. Remember that 60 day delay? Well, here's where it got us (as taken from NeoGAF).
http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/content/12129-scope_of_crtcs_ubb_review_limited_to_billing_practices
“In reviewing the billing practices for mandated wholesale residential high-speed access services in this proceeding, the Commission is inviting comments on proposals for billing practices that implement these two principles, and is not limited to examining only usage-based billing,” the CRTC said in a letter to parties participating in the proceeding.

The two guiding principles for the review, the CRTC said, are that “ordinary consumers served by small Internet service providers (Small ISPs) should not have to fund the bandwidth used by the heaviest retail Internet service consumers”; and that “it is in the best interest of consumers that Small ISPs, which offer competitive alternatives to the incumbent carriers, should continue to do so.”
Several small ISPs and public interest groups had called for an expanded proceeding that included a comprehensive review of the regulatory framework governing the incumbents’ sale of wholesale Internet services to small competitors.

“The CRTC will not be expanding the scope, as requested by several parties, to include the billing practices for retail Internet services. There is no evidence that market forces are not working properly in this unregulated market,” the commission added in a release Friday.

In other words, the CRTC is going to come back with the exact same shit and it's not going to do anything to help retail customers.

.....and also this.
This is kind of weird:
The CRTC said its review of "wholesale residential high-speed Internet access services" in response to the controversy over usage-based billing and bandwidth limits will include a public hearing on July 11 in Gatineau, Que.

Why are they having a public hearing on July 11th when their decision has to go down no later than May 1st?

Looks like it's time to kick up another shitstorm, and the kick needs to be soon if there's going to be another election call.

[/Update: March 16]

Canadian Internet just got FUCKED!

Shamelessly CnP'd from NeoGAF.
CRTC Finalizes ISP Usage-Based Billing [Canada Bandwidth Cap starting March 1st]

first of all, I think this only is a very small affect on gaming, and more affect on just regular using of internet in general
obvious steam gets affected the largest right now, but at the same time, it means services like onlive is basically dead

more broadly, newly launched services like netflix is going to be dead once the UBB takes into effect
here is one of many kickers: bell's own streaming services will NOT be accounted for in your bandwidth
how convenient for bell (and roger i guess) eh?

links (follow the links within links for more info):

just hit up the forums at dslreports if you want to get informed and keep updated

want to do something about it (probably wont help, but better than nothing):
1. Go here: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Comp...spx?Language=E
2. Type in your postal code, find your MP's name and email address.
3. Compose a email. You don't have to write an essay. If you wish keep it brief, or if you are well informed, feel free to air your frustration.

For those that don't know, for all Bell and Bell reseller providers, starting March 2011:
- Bandwith cap will be 25GB(confirmed by Teksavvy CEO). That's upload and download, together.
- $1 per GB you go over, up to $22.50. $0.75 per GB after that.
- ALL DSL RESELLER PRICES WILL GO UP TO MATCH BELL PLAN PRICES, AND RISE WHEN BELL PLAN PRICES RISE.

For those on Rogers, or Rogers reseller providers:
- Same deal, coming down the pipe a few months later (early summer).

More information:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/canbroadband
http://www.openmedia.ca/meter
http://www.stopthecap.com/
and i thought the cap was gonna be 60gb, but 25 is just a kick in the balls

This is completely insane. I'm at a loss for words.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh fuck, I am so sorry for all Canadians :(

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is really disappointing. I'm on Shaw, but I can't imagine they'll be long in following Bell. The quality of service has always been mediocre, and now it'll be insanely expensive for only moderate use.

25 GB is downloading Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening. Just insane.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited January 2011
    I guess there won't be a lot of Steam games being sold in Canada now D:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Canada, you're supposed to be setting a good example for the rest of the world

:v:

adytum on
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuuuckkk.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is bad, hoping it doesn't spread even more.

Is there any way to monitor how muhc bandwidth you actually use? I'm uncapped, but would be interesting to know.

Frozenzen on
    edited January 2011
    My location is amended. We are no longer glorious until this shit stops.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh wow that is utter fail

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dangit now i have something negative to plague my thoughts of moving to canada

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd pour one out for my Canuckistan bretheren, but I understand that wasting beer is a hangin' offense there, so instead I will drink one for my northern friends.

But, seriously, internet caps sux.

Elvenshae on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There'd better be some serious complaining about this from Canadians. I have occasionally used over 80 GB in a month because of Steam and 25 GB/month is nowhere near enough for serious internet usage.

Peewi on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a god damn stupid trend happening all around the world now. Down here in Mexico, while our speeds are ridiculously slow (Save for a few cities that can get 40mb and 100mb dsl only if you pay for 2 years full in advance) we don't have any caps.

But, starting this year companies are doubling or tripling their speeds, however there's a strong rumor of a usage cap coming in with these speed increments.

Satsumomo on
    edited January 2011
    This shit ain't gonna fly in Germany.

Like, people would just not take it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This includes both uploading and downloading. Wouldn't that really screw up some MMOs that rely on bittorrent to distribute patches?

Couscous on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    This includes both uploading and downloading. Wouldn't that really screw up some MMOs that rely on bittorrent to distribute patches?

Downloading World of Warcraft will put you over the monthly cap. Downloading Starcraft 2 plus patches is close to half I believe. Good luck ever using STEAM for anything other than small indie games.

But 105,000 e-mails! Holy crap! That's so many internets!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    the idea that a usage cap is a good way to price internet service is kind of astounding to me

there isn't a limited amount of internet that they are rationing out

i mean, sure there is a limited amount of dns and routing servers that they have

but that should limit the bandwidth they make available, not the amount of gigabytes they can allow people to use on their lines

so it just stinks horrendously of policy for profit

which, i assume is a pretty obvious point to figure out

but still, sad day

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    good thing infrastructure costs have been steadily dropping for ISPs so they can... charge more because they have a monopoly.

Jars on
    edited January 2011
    Im not finding any mention of the caps in any of the official stuff ive read, apart from that Copy Paste. Has anyone seen anything like that?

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jaramr wrote: »
    Im not finding any mention of the caps in any of the official stuff ive read, apart from that Copy Paste. Has anyone seen anything like that?

I think it's this.
    http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-44.htm

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I absolutely hate this decision, on principle if nothing else. The CRTC is such a joke when it comes to bending over for the Bell / Rogers duopoly. I mean, the selection on the Canadian version of netflix is already severely subpar compared to its US counterpart, and this will only marginalize their market further, killing their incentive to negociate for more Canadian streaming rights. Any streaming / downloading services other than Bell's own will be fatally crippled by this decision, and it's a damn shame.

On a practical level, buying additional bandwidth isn't all that expensive if you already have a reasonably cheap dsl plan. I'm with Primus, for example, and their new cap is 25GB (previously unlimited), with additional 40GB blocks costing $5 each. So, for an extra $15 a month, I'm getting 145GB (25GB base + 120GB addition) which is more than enough to handle my streaming / downloading habits between netflix, xbox live, etc. Regardless, I can't stand how this decision is going to force the market in a very specific, bell / rogers centric direction, since I doubt most people are going to be willing to pay those extra bandwidth charges.

CRTC goosery makes me sad.

legion on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel for you guys. Just last month I was able to break free of Time Warner Cable's iron grip on broadband here in LA. I moved over to FiOS, which has been nothing less than a dream to use. It's bad enough to have to deal with a company's shitty service. It's a whole other level of shit when they decide to limit your use of that shitty service (TWC tried to do this as well but failed; however they are keen on implementing it in the future).

Shady3011 on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jeus H Christ. Well, my vote goes to whoever will fix this shit. Absolutely insane.

Didn't Canada used to be the premier country when it came to telecommunications? How far we have fallen.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welp, looks like the internet is following the rest of the world down into the shitter. Soon even Australians will remark, "Remember when internet usage used to be good?" (it was never good)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really want to see a massive outcry about this when this hits and people really start getting crazy prices on their bills but they better make sure they complain loud and hard and not back down when the companies toss us a pitiful bone so they can continue to over charge us.

There is no justification for this except greed.

Cade on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is terrible. We're getting more and more online content and now we won't be able to access it without shelling out some extra dough.

Canadian videogame retailers will be happy with this.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's pointed out in one of the documents, and it's what seems to be the most annoying part of it all.

When you're in a multi-member household, how many fights will break out because "Nuh-uh, Sam used up the limit" and so on? I can only imagine a house with 2 or more teenagers.

Satsumomo on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, are we going back in time?

Ugh...

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When the old people start getting massive bills (from all the young whipper snappers brute forcing their wireless password) I think there will be uproar.

Shurakai on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    canada is a democracy, right

how the fuck do these things happen in a democracy

someone should run on a platform of fast internet and no caps. he'd win.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm emailing my MP right now. This has got my blood all angered up. I have no issue burning through 25gb in 2 days with LEGAL movie streaming, gaming, and television. We just cancelled cable because it is redundant.

This can't happen.

Wraithverge on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Welcome to Canada, gentlemen. The land ruled over by Bell and Rogers with an iron grip.

I may as well cancel Netflix now. I'm never gonna get a chance to use it ever again. And say goodbye to ever using Steam again.

SirUltimos on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know what effect this has on Telus? Seems everyone is talking about Bell and Rogers.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like how this is barely getting coverage (if any) on any of the major news outlets (CTV, Global) too. /tinfoil hat

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're all owned by the companies that are screwing us. Not that big of a surprise.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone finally got up and asked the government to fix this before it's too late.

But it's going to take a whole lot of voices to make them really over turn it I bet.

Cade on
  • HibernusHibernus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    It's pointed out in one of the documents, and it's what seems to be the most annoying part of it all.

When you're in a multi-member household, how many fights will break out because "Nuh-uh, Sam used up the limit" and so on? I can only imagine a house with 2 or more teenagers.

As someone who remembers having caps that low in Australia

MANY ARGUMENTS.

Hibernus on
    edited January 2011
    If this stays I'm betting it's not gonna be long before things like cable and cell phone rates go up even more.

SirUltimos on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't get they can do this. I mean hell, the day they cap my monthly allotment is the date I just call up and tell them to shove their high speed internet - what the fuck is the point if they won't let me use it anyway? I can't think of any reason to have high speed internet when anything you'd actually use high speed internet *for* is rendered unusable.

Why would you do that to your own product? "Yes, I'd like to sell you a car. If you put more than 15 miles on it a month, we'll charge you a per mile fee. Anytime you want to go over 55, you need to call customer service for a special dispensation. Brakes will be disabled after every 75 uses until a small reactivation fee has been paid. Wait, where are you going? What do you mean you'll take the bus? The bus is for losers!"

JihadJesus on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait what the fuck is this shit

In my City Bell has awful service but we switched over to Cogeco since Bell's DSL was completely shitty and now there going to charge even more for their terrible service? Fuck. That. Shit.

And it won't be long till the others follow suit. Wait I just realized Cogeco already does this

I have a email to write

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited January 2011
    Hey now, you still have uses for the internet. You can still stream stuff from Bell and Rogers. After you pay them for that privilege.

SirUltimos on