As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blight of the Immortals]

1121314151618»

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    The zombies are murder now. I'm not sure even a Very Hard is winnable, and Impossible is impossible. The biggest impact is the merging units - they don't wander arround in fans of little units, they clump up. With the way the battle system works, this has made zombies way stronger. You can beat 100 units of strength 10 without breaking a sweat, but a single strength 200 unit (and I'm seeing them a lot) is almost unstoppable.

Yeah, the shaman was nerfed, then nerfed again, and even then it's the only worthwhile damage caster. Wizards, elves, and trolls (for direct damage) are worthless now (like did he think that elves were too powerful?). I'm in a game with him on the new map and there's an adjacent cyclops city that is making zombies faster than I could make centaurs even if I devoted my entire income to it, and they have another large cyclops force headed to join them. My only prayer is that the random number generator likes me when they decide it's time to move. And this is on Normal. Exciting!

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So this looks kinda cool. I have a few questions for those who've been playing for a bit:

- Do you earn permanent rewards between games?
    - How does a map's difficulty work? how does it influence things?
    - Are there some resources available I can read? guides, faqs, etc?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So this looks kinda cool. I have a few questions for those who've been playing for a bit:

- None currently, just a running score total.
    - No real difference that I can see, but smaller maps generally mean faster games.
    - Don't know, actually. The game is in Accidental Open Beta. As I understand it, he meant to do a closed beta and accidentally made it available publicly, and decided to leave it open. But it's still pretty fluid. Anything that was written before the last few days will be completely obsolete by now.

edit: Also, apparently the max score per map is 4095. I didn't know there was a max score.

Tiger Burning on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

- None currently, just a running score total.
    - No real difference that I can see, but smaller maps generally mean faster games.
    - Don't know, actually. The game is in Accidental Open Beta. As I understand it, he meant to do a closed beta and accidentally made it available publicly, and decided to leave it open. But it's still pretty fluid. Anything that was written before the last few days will be completely obsolete by now.

Well then, guess I just wade in then :P

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SmellyTerrorSmellyTerror Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of obsolete guides, I plonked this on a one-post blog because it wouldn't fit in the in-game email and I was WAY too lazy to start a wiki:

http://smellyterror.blogspot.com/2011/01/blight-guide-part-1.html

Might still work as an overview, but a lot of the detail is well wrong by now. Waiting for things to shake out some, then put something together that'll last a little longer.

---
    Also, re: rewards, you do get little reward icons on your profile. I'd expect there will be more as the beta progresses.

http://blight.ironhelmet.com/profile/SmellyTerror

SmellyTerror on
    Dark Iron: Mongoose, Gnome Warlock
    Deeply Afraid
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone have suggestions about how best to go about acquiring independent provinces? I'm in a new game, where I am once again Goblins of the Southwest. I have a little safe peninsula behind my front line, so there's not a danger of zombies getting to them, but I'm not sure how to weigh the lost coin revenue from waiting too long to take them, saving enough to directly buy the independent armies, vs attacking them. Fortresses can be particularly problematic.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited January 2011
    Markets give you (on average) 2 coins per day, per level. A level of market costs 4 (to get level 1), 6 (for level 2), 8 (for level 3), and 10 (for level 4). So raising a level 3 to a level 4 will take 5 days to pay for itself... So you can compare where you'd get a better return bribing compared with building economy. How many days will it take to for the bribe pay for itself? How much money would it cost to build that stuff? How many losses will I suffer taking it, and what are they worth? How much cheap economy can I build, is it safe, and how long will it take to build?

Anyway, it's pretty painful to buy out a settlement, but I usually get the Dwarf one if it's available: level 3 market already there, strong defence that'll make it a bitch to attack direct, and super-cheap fortification building with a dwarf unit all = $$$ saved in the long run. You really want to get a Yellow income rolling: Cyclopses are the best coin-to-strength unit around, and their Care-Bear-Stare is a life-saver.

You do have alternatives to bribery: Goblin assassins can take out small units in strong defences. If you can get those Shamans to your north, they're great for sniping out small garrisons. The advantage of these options is that you can trade your Yellow coins early (probably to get Trolls rolling, to get to the Hobgoblins and / or Orc towns to your north), take the Yellow towns later on, and still have enough income to get the Yellow economy moving.

...and for the lightly-defended towns, treat the garrisons as xp. Even an Elf unit with a couple of reinforcements should be enough to fight down to the Centaurs (the dudes you really want to be spending youe green coins on - or at least use them to make your Ents worth-while with a speed bonus).

A quick note for prospective Goblins: Plunder gives you 10 coins for destroying a level 1 market. It costs 4 coins to rebuild that level 1 market, and 1 coin to use Plunder. So you end up with 5 income from Plunder, plus 2 if you make sure you tax between rebuilding and Plundering...

...long story short: a Goblin can instantly turn any town into a level 3 market.

SmellyTerror on
    Deeply Afraid
    edited January 2011
    You say instantly, but I'd still have to spend the time to build up three levels, at 17 hours a piece, yes?

Also, my latest game has just been ridden with bugs, its pretty annoying. Powers aren't taking effect instantly when they should, and I just spawned a new army of elves, at 4 strength. Argh.

Septus on
    edited January 2011
    Powers no longer take effect instantly - it was one of the recent patches. It's supposed to make PVP play more fair. Are you sure you didn't use the elves' power? (why would you, I know)

If you're playing without a key, buying independent armies is a good way to get access to good ones you wouldn't have access to otherwise. Especially good with men and merchants. The time wasted is important, too. You don't want to devote a good army to running around picking up independents away from the fight. In general, it's worth it to wait and buy the independents, I think. For base cost + 20 extra coin, you get: A new army (value of base cost +10) + (its strength + dice saved as casualties to another army) + (its fortification bonus saved as casualties). Yeah, you miss out on a little experience for killing them, but you have to spend the time killing them - time which is better spent killing zombies who don't get fortification bonuses, and who give rewards.

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    So Marsh Trolls stomp ability, which describes it as instant, is delayed? I guess then the description needs to change.

I'm sure I didn't use the elf ability.

Edit: Man, people just keep quitting these normal difficulty games. At least in Neptune's pride, that usually meant easy pickings to conquer, whereas here, vast gulfs of zombie lands block my access to former player holdings.

Septus on
    edited January 2011
    Remember this is a beta - and was really meant to be closed beta still. There will be lots of bugs.

Are you playing turn-based? As far as I know, there aren't any delays in real time, are there? Or are they waiting to the end of the hour? Can't see the point of that, if so. Bug report?

Never seen unit numbers come out wrong. If you didn't snipe with them, it's a bug. Report him.

And why would you use Hunters? First, 2 shots will take out that Enchantress in her 30-point defence or those Wizards who are toasting you; second, dead zombies is dead zombies; and lastly, free xp. If there's a 200-strength zombie unit running about, you're spending effectively 3 Green to get 20 xp. A level means 3.5 less dead in the next fight - and every fight - and maybe a fight won that would otherwise be lost. That's a bargain.

Re: bribing, if you snipe a unit of 10 Orcs and take the town, your Shamans get 10 xp and you save 8 coins - assuming you rebuild the Orc unit. If you're going to reinforce an existing Orc, you'd basically get 30 Orcs, 10 xp, and 2 coins for the cost - 2 to shoot, 8x3 for the reinforcments + 2 coins = 28, vs 10 Orcs and... nothing else = 28 to bribe.

That's what I mean about adding up what you get for your coins.

(Strictly speaking, you should also add the market's output in that time to the "bribe" side of things, as well as the opportunity cost of tying up units to take cities - obviously bribing is still worth it fairly often, but yeah. It hurts).

IMO, it's usually the reinforcement cost you need to look at, unless, as above, you really need a new unit of that type, or it's one of those caster units who you don't reinforce.

ALSO also also, remember you can save up pay-days. At the start of the game you've got buckets of coins from trading, and you've got bugger-all markets. Wait a couple of days to Tax, if you can, and always try to wait to tax as long as you can, unless you're about to lose a big market - you get more markets over time, so a tax tomorrow is generally worth more than a tax today.

This also puts a point in favour of non-bribing: you do have some time to get those towns, from an income perspective. Especially on two-colours, you should have coins to last you a couple of days at least, and then you'll have a couple of tax-spends up your sleeve for when you get the towns later.

And re: people quitting: the fewer men, the greater share of honour!
    :)

SmellyTerror on
    Deeply Afraid
    edited January 2011
    Elves are just bad. Just.. bad. Wizards too. As to taking independents, yes, if you have shamen, do it that way. The shaman got nerfed pretty hard, but the silver lining is that in his new form he is an independent city taking machine.

And yeah, he said a week or so ago that he was making (some? all?) abilities wait until the 'end of turn' (i.e. the hour tick over) to go into effect.

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    'strue. Lots of stuff delays now...

Have you seen the new Gnomes? They badass if you have time to reinforce. 2 for 4 makes 'em the cheapest strength around - just SLOW to make. And the new ability (24 hours immunity to spells for another unit, with huge cost of 8 coins) is going to be massive in PvP. Imagine a Shaman some Gnomes in support... Just wade in there and roast all the enemy casters, merchants, etc.

I'll grant you, Elves are fairly crap, but a lot of times you have nothing else to spend your green on - there aren't many Centaur towns around, and Ents take so bloody long to get anywhere they're often useless. Elves do the job as mid-size garrison units - and their Hunter ability isn't awful for that. Whittle down big stacks, get some risk-free xp ticking over, pop merchants and wizards in PvP...
    /shrug

Actually been suggesting they get the Shaman-style direct damage (kills equal to their own strength, to a max of 20, with 18 hour delay). Encourages small units of snipers to do hit-and-run attacks - more their style, I think.

Shamans should be more like 10% enemy strength plus dice (rather than a straight 10 damage plus dice as it is now) - better against really big stacks, but really random against smaller units until you get some levels.

...and I have some level 16 wizards in one game. Those guys take towns single handed...
    :P

SmellyTerror on
    Deeply Afraid
    edited January 2011
    So merchants' innate just adds to coins to whatever the normal trade roll, based on the color of their province? If they're at a city with 0 markets, will they generate 2 coins of that color?

Septus on
    edited January 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    So merchants' innate just adds to coins to whatever the normal trade roll, based on the color of their province? If they're at a city with 0 markets, will they generate 2 coins of that color?

Wow, yeah, merchant nerf. Didn't notice that. Huh.

Also, the last zombies in The Impossible Dream have been put down. Good job, everyone! It touch and go for a while, but that was a fun one.

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    Septus wrote: »

Yeah, but they're a bit quicker to be worthwhile at foreign trade: for the cost of 1 coin, they make 2-per market level. So 8 at a level 4 market, every day. Used to be you had to reinforce the unit to get that much (though you could reinforce it indefinitely, which made it a bit broken).

But that's still great: you could spend 30 coins getting three level 3 markets to level 4, to give 6 coins per day, or you could have 2 merchants on foreign trade for the same cost, making 14 coins per day.

...their domestic ability blows, though: 15 for +2 income. I've been suggesting they also provide a reduction in costs at the settlement: maybe 2 coins-off market and wall upgrade costs.

SmellyTerror on
    Deeply Afraid
  • dwd102dwd102 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    This is definitely a newbie question but I have to ask.
    How does one bribe a province? when I go to move to a non-claimed province with an army in it my only option that I can see is to attack. Is the ability to bribe only for a certain race?

Thanks for any answers ahead of time.

Other than that I am enjoying this game as it allows me to play something once a day for a few minutes and then have something to look forward to playing in the evening without having to invest an excess amount of time on it.

dwd102 on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aaaannd, impossible done in 20 days. Are the top scores just rounding errors or is that really the maximum you can get?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited January 2011
    Aaaannd, impossible done in 20 days. Are the top scores just rounding errors or is that really the maximum you can get?

Yeah, 4095 appears to be the max. Darian and I have been there for a week. Slacker. :P
    How does one bribe a province? when I go to move to a non-claimed province with an army in it my only option that I can see is to attack. Is the ability to bribe only for a certain race?

Click on the unit (not the city). Just above the unit description there should be a statement saying that they can be bribed, plus a link.

Tiger Burning on
  • dwd102dwd102 Registered User new member
    edited January 2011

Click on the unit (not the city). Just above the unit description there should be a statement saying that they can be bribed, plus a link.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i guess my old eyes didn't see that :oops:

dwd102 on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I haven't seen the latest units yet, nor the six player map. What level have people been playing at for Beta 03?

Darian on
    edited January 2011
    We're just wrapping up one on normal, on the new map. It started out pretty intense (like, almost every starting zombie city was a cyclops city), but then he apparently did something to tone down the difficulty and things turned around. I would definitely recommend hard, at least.

Tiger Burning on
    edited January 2011
    dwd102 wrote: »

Click on the unit (not the city). Just above the unit description there should be a statement saying that they can be bribed, plus a link.

Thanks, i guess my old eyes didn't see that :oops:

Also, you have to have a unit within 24 hours (the blue circle you see when you click on a unit) to bribe an independent army.

Tiger Burning on
  • FIgliFIgli Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    That's ok about small details one needs to invest time while playing. Why not enable Turn Paced gaming?
    For it's taking many short checks to play well and that's counterproductive to real life.

FIgli on
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm trying to reinforce a unit. I have the coins. However, when I click "reinforce" it asks me to select an army to reinforce and greys everything out, then I can't do anything. Any ideas?
    After clicking Reinforce , you should choose an army of yours or your ally to send reinforcments. Sometimes reinforcement for a unit 7 days away from province may get them after 36 hours or smt like that. In your vicinity rein... will take much less about 4-6 hours.

FIgli on
    edited March 2011
    Isle of Sodor

Yay I'm in a PA game!

This should be interesting over in my brown corner

Kind of mean of Darian to snag that Mason's Keep from whoever ends up being the lightgreen elves

Can smb explain me what means PA game?

FIgli on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FIgli wrote: »
    Isle of Sodor

Yay I'm in a PA game!

This should be interesting over in my brown corner

Kind of mean of Darian to snag that Mason's Keep from whoever ends up being the lightgreen elves

Can smb explain me what means PA game?

A game with other PA people. PA being Penny Arcade, the site you're on now.

PolloDiablo on
  • johnatthebarjohnatthebar Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Hey, does anyone know how the reinforcement speeds are actually calculated? It seems like it may be based on the closest city rather than the actual road position, but I'm not sure. Also, I haven't worked out whether centaur reinforcements move more quickly than others.

johnatthebar on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Am I just really terrible at this game or is the single player on easy difficult?

Now that everyone knows how bad I am, any new PA games starting?

Also can you join more than one multiplayer game?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Am I just really terrible at this game or is the single player on easy difficult?

Now that everyone knows how bad I am, any new PA games starting?

Also can you join more than one multiplayer game?

I had problems as well. Going to mess around a bit until I get the hang of it

Edit: so the big deal seems to be using powers effectively and making sure you get the most power out of your recruitment. Elves are kinda backwards. Archers suck unless the enemy has a huge stack, don't buy them early game and late game you want multiple armies of them in order to harass. Ents are super awesome, second best bang for your buck, decent power. Gnomes are the best bang for your buck, so your biggest army should probably be them (just remember to reinforce every cycle)

It seems to me that orcs(shamans for harassment, orcs for cheap reinforcements[two orc armies can recursively heal themselves for 1/2 normal reinforcement cost, or any other army for that matter].) and humans(wizards) have it best. High level humans/orc hords should be strong as well due to the bonus on rolling

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game looks way more interesting to me now that I read it's co-op style. I want to join a game with bros if one is starting soon. Just let me know how/when/what to do. I'll try out some solo and get signed up.

Edit: ooh sweet I can sign in with my Google account. I'll be checking it out when I get home. Name is F4ll0ut.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636