As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CRTC Finalizes ISP Usage-Based Billing / Canada Bandwidth Cap Thread: News in OP/p275

• 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I recommend everyone write letters to your MPs, but the reality is that the conservative government in unlikely listen to the people, and more likely to listen to big corporations. The only possible good news is that an election may be coming soon, and promise to overturn the ruling would look good as an election promise without having to spend any tax $$$. Not sure how likely this is.

0blique on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This would be Bells dream come true:
    NhNUo.jpg

Cade on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Hey now, you still have uses for the internet. You can still stream stuff from Bell and Rogers. After you pay them for that privilege.

Give me net neutrality or give me death.

Couscous on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hibernus wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    It's pointed out in one of the documents, and it's what seems to be the most annoying part of it all.

When you're in a multi-member household, how many fights will break out because "Nuh-uh, Sam used up the limit" and so on? I can only imagine a house with 2 or more teenagers.

As someone who remembers having caps that low in Australia

MANY ARGUMENTS.

I remember being one of four on 250 megabytes per day. I did not care for that scenario.

Antithesis on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's not a bad idea really, is that how it is in Canada? I'd totally pay for ala-carte web service like that and save some money.

edit to clarify: The internet price chart is what I'm referring to.

Allforce on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Includes a massive extra 1000 MB a month!"

D:

Bruce Forsyth on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I even set up a Facebook group encouraging everyone I know to write their MP and complain. I am enraged.

SirUltimos on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I never heard a word of this. From what I understand in the OP, current plans are effected to?

My family uses a 95 GB Rogers set-up, and we can barely keep within that, the numbers of times I've ended a month on 94.5 GB is amazing. My brother watches all his TV via a slingbox, soaking up our upload, and I'm a download hog. 25 a month is going to last a week.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ahh ok the pic is just a hypothetical scenario, my bad.

From researching this more apparently this only affects DSL connections and not cable-internet connections (yet)? So it sounds like if you're on a cable connection you've got a while to still enjoy what you got while people fight the ruling on DSL connections.

Allforce on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

Not sure about that, at least two providers (Primus and iiNet) have 1TB download limit options now.

So let me get this straight. These two companies are going to benefit by their government forcing 25GB per month restrictions on it's citizens... What could the government hope to gain from this besides pissing a lot of people off?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whao.

I should get in on that.

Probably crazy expensive with slow up/down speeds though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited January 2011
    This is Harper we're talking about, the mini Bush, he's all about the companies bending over people and making the big bucks.

Who cares about the people, they don't mean squat.

Cade on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

Not sure about that, at least two providers (Primus and iiNet) have 1TB download limit options now.

So let me get this straight. These two companies are going to benefit by their government forcing 25GB per month restrictions on it's citizens... What could the government hope to gain from this besides pissing a lot of people off?

People that run the CRTC are former Bell and Rogers execs with stock in those companies.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So if I'm with Shaw this doesn't affect me right?

I mean, yeah, I'm pretty cheesed this is happening, but...

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't give it long before Shaw joins the other two.

SirUltimos on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

If things keep going the way they are UBB's will be in place across the board before you know it. As far as I know Rogers is applying for one to go into effect later this year. So we're all essentially fucked, some just sooner than others.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited January 2011
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

People that run the CRTC are former Bell and Rogers execs with stock in those companies.

Yeah the very people that is suppose to be protecting us are those who are in league with said companies, they're as corrupt as can be and don't give a crap, they're making the money and that's all they care about, not like the government really gets in their way to do anything.

Sadly this is going to affect everyone, any that think the other companies won't follow suit is going to be in for a rude awakening in due time.

Cade on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If Bell adds caps, Rogers will follow. Both companies make a big business out of screwing Canadians out of their money, and they get away with it because the customers have no choice. What else are you going to do, cut off your internet for the rest of your life?

Strange that organizations like the CRTC are meant to prevent things like this, but that didn't stop Canadians from having one of the worst cellular services in the western world, and it looks like internet is about to follow.

0blique on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't even have a very good idea of what 25GB is in the grand scheme of things. We have a family of five, only 4 of which use the internet here regularly, and only one who, as far as I know, torrents stuff. My brother and I just waste time browsing aimlessly and watching Youtube...

Is the torrenting brother gonna be an issue?

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Torrenting is one issue of many.

Most of the new shiny things the internet offers will suddenly threaten your wallet.

Netflix and Youtube (HD) chief among them.

Downloading Game Demos for Xbox Live or the PS3

Steam Downloads.

Really anything that takes longer than 1 minute to download with a decent connection.

Shurakai on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

Oh fuck me, surely Canada has some kind of corruption watch-dog that would feed on this kind of action.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    God fucking damnit.

25GB is pathetic, wtf.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't even have a very good idea of what 25GB is in the grand scheme of things. We have a family of five, only 4 of which use the internet here regularly, and only one who, as far as I know, torrents stuff. My brother and I just waste time browsing aimlessly and watching Youtube...

Is the torrenting brother gonna be an issue?

at 25GB you casually browsing youtube throughout the month alone could take a sizable chunk out of your cap

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

If things keep going the way they are UBB's will be in place across the board before you know it. As far as I know Rogers is applying for one to go into effect later this year. So we're all essentially fucked, some just sooner than others.

THIS DOES AFFECT SHAW

They already have UBB on my latest bill.

Not active yet, but soon.

Soon.

For now they just keep putting a chart on my bill saying "Hey look, you went 40gb over your "cap" this month, you shouldn't really do that you know."

Shurakai on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    whaaaaat theeee fuuuuuck

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    0blique wrote: »
    Strange that organizations like the CRTC are meant to prevent things like this, but that didn't stop Canadians from having one of the worst cellular services in the western world, and it looks like internet is about to follow.

Oh this so much, I spent the summer in Canada, and never got a phone because how ridiculously expensive and complicated getting a temporary pre-paid phone over there is. Down here I can get a number on a chip to use on my own phone with 30 free minutes, for less than $15. Or one with a cheap phone with 100 free minutes for about $25.

Canada? The cheapest I could find in Vancouver was $20 for the chip only. You had to pay an activation fee and the minimum prepaid amount which was maybe $10. If I wanted a phone with it, I think it was $80+

Satsumomo on
  • breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well I'm out on the east coast and there's 2 main choices, aliant (owned by bell) and rogers. I've had rogers for a year and a half and they already enforce the 25gb cap. Now for an additional fee you can buy a bigger cap instead of paying overages but it's been like this for at least a year and a half now. I was going to switch to aliant once the contract was up since they have unlimited, but now that all doesn't matter.

breton-brawler on
    edited January 2011
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    - $1 per GB you go over, up to $22.50. $0.75 per GB after that.

Jesus. When I first read it, I thought it was a maximum of $22.50 which I thought wasn't too bad if subscription models were lower. Like $20 each month to a maximum of $42.50 a month, but no, it's unlimited charging. That's just insane.

25gb? I've seen thumb drives bigger than that. And I thought Comcast's 250gb 'limit' that violating too many times means they'll send you a letter and threaten to cut you off, but don't charge you extra for was a little stupid (not that I've even got close to it).

In this day and age, they can't even spin this as something necessary. Old people will go over 25GB a month, families will easily go over 25GB a month, etc. They can't disguise it as anything but a cash grab and an attempt to become more of a monopoly by wiping out the independents.

Wish you Canadians the best of luck fighting this.

Invisible on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ugh. I felt a great disturbance in the force.

As if a million Canadian gamers suddenly cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced (because they went over their cap).

Sorry, but in all honesty, my heart goes out to you, Canada. This is terrible.

Rex Dart on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whao.

I should get in on that.

Probably crazy expensive with slow up/down speeds though.

Internode has a 1TB a month cap for $120. Counts up and down, but still, you'd have a hard time hitting that month after month. Or I would anyway.

I can consistantly get 200GB a month down only during ratings seaons :)

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Australia and canada.

We are brothers now.

Hello, other Anti.

Antithesis on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is absofuckinglutely stupid and horrible and arrrrgh I just want to punch things.

I can go through 25 GB in a day.

Or I could if the speeds around here weren't so awful.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited January 2011
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    It costs more to send a heavy package across the country than a letter across town. People who use more electricity than their neighbours have to pay for their additional energy consumption. Drivers who travel long distances spend more on fuel than those who don't. Transit riders crossing zones pay more than those going one or two stops. The principle is simple: The more you use, the more you pay.
    Good thing data transmission doesn't actually work like those or the comparison might not be retarded.

The argument that few people download or upload that much data ignores households with a decent amount of people and increasing data intensive internet usage like Steam, Netflix, etc.

Couscous on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cade wrote: »

my god

someone up there just needs to make a political party based on unfucking the internet

and vote the bastards OUT

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find this thread confusing, because I live in Toronto and have Rogers for internet, and they already had different internet plans with different "caps" for different monthly costs, and charged extra if you went over. It's been like this forever.....right?

So....huh? Are we saying now that there will be only one plan, with a 25 gig cap?

Guitar Hero Of Time on
    edited January 2011
    I find this thread confusing, because I live in Toronto and have Rogers for internet, and they already had different internet plans with different "caps" for different monthly costs, and charged extra if you went over. It's been like this forever.....right?

So....huh? Are we saying now that there will be only one plan, with a 25 gig cap?

No, they'll still probably have the multiple plans. It's just that right now, if you use an independent ISP, they have their own plans, many with unlimited bandwidth or ridiculously high bandwidth limits. They're not allowed to offer that anymore.

SirUltimos on
  • sackofjoysackofjoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I work for one of the large ISPs on the west coast (ya fuzzy animals!) and a bunch of us were sitting in a meeting wondering why our stock jumped up a couple dollars.

I'm guessing this is it.

This sucks.

sackofjoy on
    [ Steam: sackofjoy ] [ Xbox: sackofjoy ]