As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OKAY. My preferred Daggerfall character build, spoilered for those who want to learn the hard way.
    RACE:
    High Elf for immune to paralysis, no racial stat modifiers are applied, so don't worry about that.

CLASS:
    Custom

STATS:
    STR: 55
    INT:55
    WIL:45
    AGI:45
    END:50
    PER:40
    LCK:60

PRIMARY:
    Long Blade
    Destruction
    Restoration

MAJOR:
    Dodging
    Critical Strike
    Mercantile

MINOR:
    Running
    Jumping
    Climbing/Swimming (I've been using Climbing recently, but Swimming is really really really important in water dungeons. They exist, and they are terrible.)
    Short Blade
    Medical
    Stealth

This setup nets you two books that can sell together for over 2k gold (if you pick "knowledge" at both applicable background questions), and the all-important ebony dagger.

I also take forbidden armor Leather, forbidden shield Buckler, crit-weakness Fire Frost Shock, and Darkness Powered Magery (Reduced power in Light) in return for 30 max HP per level, 3x Improved Magery, Acute Hearing. Most spells shot at you in Daggerfall fall under the plain Magic category.

I do NOT take Crit Weakness to Paralysis because somehow I got paralyzed as a High Elf and am pretty sure that this is why. Some people say you're still immune, I have experience that says otherwise.

MechMantis on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I was trying to make a magical black-hole thief character yesterday. No magic allowed, but spells are absorbed.

Just to see how that went.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    That actually works SURPRISINGLY well, though I don't know if absorption works properly when you have full magicka.

I used opposing spells as a magical battery essentially. Liches fill you right up and blow themselves up in the process. I then get to roast 5 or 6 other baddies before I find the next Lich, rinse repeat.

MechMantis on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I figured I would have either made a viable build or completely screwed myself over, but either way it would have been interesting. And also made it more difficult to game the system via magic exploits.

joshofalltrades on
  • MonkeyPantsMonkeyPants Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well I'm giving up on Daggerfall. The damn thing is determined not to run.

Morrowind, on the other hand...

I've been doing the slight graphical modification where certain things look better. Any suggestions for better ground maps? I found a great one for water.
    For MORROWIND and OBRIVION, I just do the modding in stages. Make a ton of this look good. Check the games for any inconsistency for the look I'm going for. Just higher resolution textures which compliment the originals. Nothing which veers off the intended look for the game, albiet just better resolution.

MonkeyPants on
    edited January 2011
    I figured I would have either made a viable build or completely screwed myself over, but either way it would have been interesting. And also made it more difficult to game the system via magic exploits.

There aren't magic exploits in Daggerfall, surprisingly. Most exploiting in Daggerfall involves either broken characters or exploiting bugs.

Like loitering in a shop until after midnight (store's closed, so there shouldn't be a shopkeeper making sure you aren't stealing), taking off all the stuff from the shelves, and then selling all of the stuff back to the still present shopkeeper, who never disappeared because the "Is shop open?" check is only run when you enter the shop, not when you loiter in it.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    Success! Thanks for that link, MechMantis, the helper utility made it work.

The game is buggy as fuck, though, just like I remember it. Escape from Privateer's Hold commencing.

EDIT: Btw, does crouching = sneaking? I think that's how it worked, but can't be too sure.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    Success! Thanks for that link, MechMantis, the helper utility made it work.

The game is buggy as fuck, though, just like I remember it. Escape from Privateer's Hold commencing.

EDIT: Btw, does crouching = sneaking? I think that's how it worked, but can't be too sure.

Aye it is for all TES games, I believe.

For OBRIVION I have mods for arrows too. Permanent ones, double and triple arrows. Permanent = shoot some arrows at a creature/person which has lootable inventory, all of them are retrievable instead of a LOL you don't get all your arrows back. Recommended too.
    Is there a mod which makes all the doors have higher resolution but keeps the original feel of them? Even ones for the caves would be nice. Original looking but far better meshes and resolution.
    Still working lackadasialy on MORROWIND mods.
    MAKE IT SO.8-)

MonkeyPants on
    edited January 2011
    My avatar freezes when trying to sneak up or down stairs. :?

Oh and using freelook changes the direction I move when I press the "walk forward" key. So that makes things interesting, I guess.

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    My character freezes when trying to sneak up or down stairs. :?

Oh and using freelook changes the direction I move when I press the "walk forward" key. So that makes things interesting, I guess.

If you're mostly familiar with OBRIVION, I suggest grabbing the key mapout or printing one from online. I've done the same for MORROWIND when I bind keys and also be doing it for ALIENS versus PREDATOR. Well if a can get the latter to work and of course use the exact same keymapping as 2 + Primal Hunt.
    Have you used the links from my first post in this thread with the downloads? Might take some tweaking. Unfortunately I've yet to play this game.:(

MonkeyPants on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ... Why do you keep typing "OBRIVION"?

Elvenshae on
    edited January 2011

Freelook turns your head. Your body remains facing that same direction. Just use A and D to turn left and right, you'll be fine. There might be a mouselook option but really, not necessary.

And there is no such thing as "sneak" just crouch. It does nothing other than let you get into places that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get into.

Crouchmoving up stairs is a little buggy until you have higher speed.

Lemme take a screenshot of my control scheme, it works well enough for me (but I'm a dirty dirty numpad user so ymmv)

daggerfallctrlscheme.jpg

OKAY EXPLANATION TIME.

Daggerfall makes no distinction between numpad and everything else. Forward and back are 8 and 2 on the numpad, turn left and turn right are 4 and 6.

Run is num+, jump is 5. Crouch is 0, look up and down is Page up and Page down respectively. Center view is slash, then float up and down (swimming, levitating) is 7 and 1 respectively.

For WASD I suggest W and A for move forward and back, A and D for turn left and turn right. Look up and down is E and C, center is F. Float up and down are Q and Z, jump is space, crouch ctrl. You can use everything by clicking on it, so the use item in cursor is practically useless.
    You don't really need anything else.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    kim-jong-il-puppet-team-america.jpg

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »

Freelook turns your head. Your body remains facing that same direction. Just use A and D to turn left and right, you'll be fine. There might be a mouselook option but really, not necessary.

And there is no such thing as "sneak" just crouch. It does nothing other than let you get into places that you wouldn't otherwise be able to get into.

Lemme take a screenshot of my control scheme, it works well enough for me (but I'm a dirty dirty numpad user so ymmv)

daggerfallctrlscheme.jpg

OKAY EXPLANATION TIME.

Daggerfall makes no distinction between numpad and everything else. Forward and back are 8+2 on the numpad, turn left and turn right are 4 and 6.

Run is num+, jump is 5. Crouch is 0, look up and down is Page up and Page down respectively. Center view is slash, then float up and down (swimming, levitating) is 7 and 1 respectively.

Okay, so I'm automatically sneaking all the time?

joshofalltrades on
    edited January 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »

daggerfallctrlscheme.jpg

OKAY EXPLANATION TIME.

Daggerfall makes no distinction between numpad and everything else. Forward and back are 8+2 on the numpad, turn left and turn right are 4 and 6.

Okay, so I'm automatically sneaking all the time?

Yup. Stealth is just a skillcheck, you succeed, you're sneaking. You fail, you're not. No modifiers other than Agility and your Sneak skill.

MechMantis on
    edited January 2011
    kim-jong-il-puppet-team-america.jpg

That, www.engrish.com Force of habit and my preference to call BLADE RUNNER, BRADE RUNNAH.:wink:

MonkeyPants on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So i'm trying to enchant an exquisite amulet with summon golden saint, using Almalexia's soul to give it a shit-ton of charges.

Problem is, all the enchanters I take it to fail the enchant, losing me the soul and the item. I thought enchanters were supposed to have 100% chance? What am I spending this 50,000 gold on if they just fail?

Aistan on
    edited January 2011

Too bad I'll never own any Mac/Apple products so I don't even know what they're going at with YOUR iPod/iTunes/iDGAF.
    The UI for Obrivion was just fine. I'm already expecting a mod for this. They're dumbing down the series already. How unfortunate people need to be spoon fed now.:v:

MonkeyPants on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like in Oblivion, pressing the B or circle button opens up the menu system. Instead of returning you to the last page you visited as it did in Oblivion, Bethesda now presents you with a simple compass interface that offers four options.
    As I suspected, they're not even going to let PC users bypass the compass. Great.

I will give that zooming and examining inventory items sounds interesting, but also a little pointless.

Edit: Wait no, I misinterpreted. B on console pad. It would be nice if they said anything about how this shit works on PC. :?

Suriko on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    Like in Oblivion, pressing the B or circle button opens up the menu system. Instead of returning you to the last page you visited as it did in Oblivion, Bethesda now presents you with a simple compass interface that offers four options.
    As I suspected, they're not even going to let PC users bypass the compass. Great.

I will give that zooming and examining inventory items sounds interesting, but also a little pointless.

There was talk of how it would be used in some puzzles.

Big Classy on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The UI for Obrivion was just fine.

No, the Oblivion UI was shit; the best mods could do was make it slightly less shitty.

Elvenshae on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah Oblivion's UI was pretty awful

It wasn't the total mess that Morrowind's was, but it still wasn't great

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited January 2011
    The UI for Obrivion was just fine.

No, the Oblivion UI was shit; the best mods could do was make it slightly less shitty.
    I mean how it LOOKED was fine, but of course mods made it look nicer. Cosmetically or some shit. It looked aged sorta. Wait I'm thinking of the damn menu and inventory shit. YES THE UI IN OBRIVION WAS ARSE.

MonkeyPants on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Morrowind's was ugly, but it was very functional; It did well in showing a lot of information at a glance. The inventory system was a total mess, but I'd still rank it above Oblivion's overall.

Suriko on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I really didn't have much problem with Oblivion's inventory. Well, except for the weird separation of a lot of things. I had the same kind of issue with Fallout though. It became a chore to check certain stats.

Compass system makes me cringe though. That pretty much won't work well on PC.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And the key section was horrible. 5 minutes of scrolling to reach my soul gems.

Renegade Wolf on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    In Oblivion can anyone think of a bug or mod that would cause a merchant to not restock their available gold every day? I'm playing in the thief's guild and Ongar, the first fence, has been stuck at 9 gold for a week, making progress in the guild impossible.
    Living Economy does that. IIRC, their gold will reset after enough time, though I don't remember how long it takes. The readme will say.

It's included in OOO, so that's probably where you're getting it. I'm assuming you're using OOO, since most people that aren't me do.

Ok I've got Living Economy from OOO, and I'm trying to get it out of the system. I unchecked it in OBMM but stuff doesn't seem to revert immediately. Do you know what I should do next?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Get a a young priest and an old priest.

august on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In Oblivion can anyone think of a bug or mod that would cause a merchant to not restock their available gold every day? I'm playing in the thief's guild and Ongar, the first fence, has been stuck at 9 gold for a week, making progress in the guild impossible.
    Living Economy does that. IIRC, their gold will reset after enough time, though I don't remember how long it takes. The readme will say.

It's included in OOO, so that's probably where you're getting it. I'm assuming you're using OOO, since most people that aren't me do.

Ok I've got Living Economy from OOO, and I'm trying to get it out of the system. I unchecked it in OBMM but stuff doesn't seem to revert immediately. Do you know what I should do next?

Probably wait for all the cells to reset. Go to a house your own or something, wait three days, and then go and check.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Instead of relegating players to looking at an item’s name and stat attributes, each possession is a tangible three dimensional item with its own unique qualities.
    D:

Goddammit. It's not even just that it sounds bad. It's that it sounds bad and exceedingly hard to mod into being not bad.

Monger on
    edited January 2011
    God damn it

I can't have my argonian go on an abolition crusade to free all the slaves and be all "LET MY PEOPLE GOOOO" because apparently not every slave in the game has a key to free them from their bracer

That is some lazy-ass bullshit, Bethesda

How hard would that have been? Honestly

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    God damn it

I can't have my argonian go on an abolition crusade to free all the slaves and be all "LET MY PEOPLE GOOOO" because apparently not every slave in the game has a key to free them from their bracer

What? What are you talking about?

Kadoken on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Instead of relegating players to looking at an item’s name and stat attributes, each possession is a tangible three dimensional item with its own unique qualities.
    D:

Goddammit. It's not even just that it sounds bad. It's that it sounds bad and exceedingly hard to mod into being not bad.

Could be worse, they could pull a DA2 and have no mods at all (possibly). Of course, I don't know if they've said word 1 about modding Skyrim. Everyone just assumes I'm sure, but someone can make me happy and confirm it.

Xeddicus on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    everytime I read that "What would apple do" in these GI articles I die a bit inside.

I dont want a fucking item LIST, I want an item grid. RPGs use to do it all the time and it worked AWESOME.

wakkawa on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    D:

Could be worse, they could pull a DA2 and have no mods at all (possibly). Of course, I don't know if they've said word 1 about modding Skyrim. Everyone just assumes I'm sure, but someone can make me happy and confirm it.

The mod tools are being bundled with the game. This was confirmed a few days ago.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/elderscrollsvskyrim/news.html?sid=6286630

It was all over the interwebs. :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »
    everytime I read that "What would apple do" in these GI articles I die a bit inside.

I dont want a fucking item LIST, I want an item grid. RPGs use to do it all the time and it worked AWESOME.

Seriously, remember when items were based on a grid, and you had popups that had all the relevant info for that item, and you could scroll quickly through your inventory if you knew what you was looking for?

Why did consoles get rid of that?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    D:

The mod tools are being bundled with the game. This was confirmed a few days ago.

Thanks, I must have used my leet skillz to miss it like I did the DNF release date for a week...

Xeddicus on
    edited January 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    God damn it

What? What are you talking about?

I'm playing Morrowind and lots of the slaves apparently have no key to free them from their slave bracers, despite the fact that all of them have the "go free" option in dialogue

I mean how hard would it have been to just put a key for the bracer in the world somewhere?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    D:

Thanks, I must have used my leet skillz to miss it like I did the DNF release date for a week...
    Also, Bioware have said that they're not releasing a new toolset, but they are updating the Origins toolset to support DA2. That game will still be moddable.

Monger on