As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GLBT Meetup - FRIDAY MARCH 11 AT 11 PM

ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN! *deedle-dee-dee...deedle-dee-dee-dee--* ...oh, sorry. I mean:

THE FINAL FAQ
(barring additional questions that need answering)

Who is allowed at this event?
ANYONE! Well, mostly. Here's the only rule, as immortalized by Bill & Ted: be excellent to each other. If you're a GLBT-friendly but otherwise totally heterosexual person, you're welcome. If you're gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual or asexual, you're welcome. If you're transgender, transsexual, genderqueer or two-spirited, you're welcome. Crossdresser, drag queen or drag king? Still welcome! Giant pink space lizard who breathes atomic fire and is in love with a hot motorcyclin' butch lady? Fine, just don't wreck the place. The only rule is that this is a friendly, safe space. Don't be a dick. If you act like a dick, we reserve the right to ask you to leave, and, if necessary, to phrase the question through the application of restaurant management.

Seriously: I'm a transsexual lesbian geek. I know exclusion. I don't care for it. When I say anyone is welcome as long as they're ready to be awesome to everyone else, I mean ANYONE.

When and where is the Meetup?
Officially, Friday, March 11, from 11 pm on at the UNO location at 715 Boylston Street, Boston, MA. Those of us traveling from the convention center will meet beforehand (probably around 10:30 pm) in the lobby of the Westin Boston Waterfront. Look for the redhead in the Ridiculously Pink Coat (+1 to Warmth, +9001 to Pinkitude). Seriously, when you see this coat, your first thought will be 'That is a ridiculously pink coat,' and so it shall be.

Is there a dress code? A secret handshake? Some kind of semaphore?
Not really, but I'll be sure to pull on the aforementioned Ridiculously Pink Coat. If you want to wear pink or purple as well, you may be easier to spot. If you're going straight to the venue, or end up missing the main group, just ask the host at UNO to direct you to the GLBT meetup in the terrace.

How much will this cost?
You pay for whatever you order at the event -- food, drink, etc. And of course transport is on you. But the event itself will not cost a single straw penny.

How do I sign up?
You don't! Not anymore. I've got our rough headcount -- if you didn't get in before I closed down the RSVPs, just show up and we'll try to accommodate you. Hopefully we won't bring the fire marshal down upon our heads.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
After time adrift among open stars
Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
I will return to where I began
Themiscyra on

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, I would be interested, but I think we should see what gaygamer.net is going to do. Last year, they had a meet up and a panel on Sunday (from what I hear, I couldn't go). I'm a go for any kind of meetup though.

jdixon1972 on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be interested depending on the timing and if allies are welcome. ;)

If anyone would like I could also bring some printouts of the GLBT Young Adult reading list I drafted for my library system. There are some great books on there, even for adults!

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I definitely don't mind allies showing up. :)

As far as gaygamer.net, well, I'm willing to wait a bit before making any firm plans, but we're about six weeks out from the con now and I don't want to wait TOO long. A lot of these sponsored meetups also end up happening in 21+ venues, as well, and while that doesn't disqualify me personally, I'd definitely like to make sure there's a fully inclusive option at some point during the con.

Themiscyra on
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll be interested. I like meeting new people c:

thorshauk on
  • mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I went to the meet up last year. The few of us who were able to find one another had a good time. The problem was we picked a bar that was very crowded, no one got a table in advance and people didn't even know whether or not other meetup folks had arrived.

Would love to meet with folks again this year, however.

mad_typist on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I'd say it'll definitely be at a different venue. I'll try to make sure people know exactly where to find the meetup attendees as well. :)

Themiscyra on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be interested in attending with my partner. Gamer bears, we are. I'm often checking the gaygamer.net forums, but truthfully the forums there seem extremely underused, and when there is activity, I hate to admit that it tends to sound really immature. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, though.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another ally checking in. I made an attempt to go to this last year. But when I got there the place was packed and I couldn't find any of the people I knew how to identify, so I left. I'd be glad to give it another go this year, especially if it's in a new venue.

Trion on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Other" gamer registering his interest. I tried to go last year but as it was my first PAX, things got a tad whirlwind-y. I'll make this a high priority now.

An under 21 venue would be much appreciated too.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd like this very much. Registering my vote for a non-bar venue.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited January 2011
    Okay, let me see what I can figure out. I'd like to get a look at the schedule first but I realize that may not be feasible. I'm guessing everyone would prefer an evening event?

Themiscyra on
  • EtherangelEtherangel Bounty Hunter Knoxville, TNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds fun! I don't have have particular preference for venue, so vote for either =)

Etherangel on
  • EliserEliser Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I would be up for going to whatever event that gets organized. and for not knowing who's going for our event and who's the general public we could wear the same color shirt. Red for example.

Eliser on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uno's pizza has expressed interest to me in hosting PAX East gatherings if anyone is interested.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited January 2011
    heels wrote: »
    Uno's pizza has expressed interest to me in hosting PAX East gatherings if anyone is interested.
    That could certainly work...I'm not sure where the closest Uno's to BCEC is but I'd be down with it personally. And they're not going to bar under-21s, either. Would, say, dinner on Friday night work for everyone?

Themiscyra on
    edited January 2011
    Considering the concerts aren't going to be too terribly exciting this year, Friday night works for me!

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Eliser wrote: »
    I would be up for going to whatever event that gets organized. and for not knowing who's going for our event and who's the general public we could wear the same color shirt. Red for example.

Considering that red is the shirt color that all the enforcers wear, that might not be the best color choice.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Eliser wrote: »

Considering that red is the shirt color that all the enforcers wear, that might not be the best color choice.
    Good point. It is the commonly accepted 'code color' at Disney's Gay Days, but that doesn't translate so well to PAX. Anyway, if we do Uno's, I think the staff can direct us to the right place easily enough.

Themiscyra on
  • lelouchlelouch Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I made an account just to keep up with this thread, haha, so definitely excited for this meet up!

lelouch on
    edited February 2011
    Would rainbow shirts be too cliché? :P

(I've probably got enough for everyone...)

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011
    Here I was about to suggest pink! (It's easy: if you were an Enforcer last year, you just put the shirt in with your whites...if not, I'm told you can buy Enforcer shirts on the black market. :P )

I've put in an e-mail to heels's contact at UNO's. Hope to have more info for all of you soon.

ETA: Do not buy Enforcer shirts on the black market. Legend says that Moe Fwacky will come to your house in the night and hit you with a cardboard tube.

Themiscyra on
  • RuscoRusco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to try and make it to this. :)

It might be just too crazy to assume awesome nerds might stand out in a typical restaurant.

If it's the UNO's we went to the other day, I recommend it. They weren't amazing but they should at least be tolerant of a largish crowd.

Rusco on
    edited February 2011
    I'm hoping I can set it up so you'll just be able to ask the staff where the PAX GLBT meetup is and they'll send you to the table. Otherwise I'll see about putting up some rainbow flags or something. :P

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Okay, guys, I just found out that the City of Heroes meetup is from 6 to 10 pm Friday night, and there's no way I'm missing it. I'm assuming the Saturday night concert is going to draw more of us than Friday night, so that's probably out too. (Although I...suppose I don't have to see JoCo or Paul and Storm again and oh no now I'm sad again.)

So. We could perhaps do a late lunch/early dinner thing on Friday or Saturday afternoon? I realize scheduling at the con is likely to be tight and someone's probably going to have to miss something awesome, but...seriously, if you don't play City of Heroes, the NCSoft guys are awesome. Very gay-friendly and inclusive and a blast to hang out with. You probably don't want to miss their meetup either. :)

Or, if the majority is more interested in a Saturday night thing...yeah, I can miss the concert. I'd rather do that than miss the CoH thing.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. I heard back from the person handling special events at UNO's and I'm going to call her to discuss it tomorrow.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    I think that a dinner would be more conducive to scheduling but with everything going on, it's going to be kinda ridiculous. Perhaps we could wait until the official schedule is posted and see what everyone is willing to miss?

(Re: City of Heroes- If you see one of the presidents flying around, say hello. It's either my friend or his brother. They decided to make heroes out of all of them.)

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011
    I think that a dinner would be more conducive to scheduling but with everything going on, it's going to be kinda ridiculous. Perhaps we could wait until the official schedule is posted and see what everyone is willing to miss?

(Re: City of Heroes- If you see one of the presidents flying around, say hello. It's either my friend or his brother. They decided to make heroes out of all of them.)
    That may be our best option, I'll grant you. I told the lady at UNO's that I'd call her tomorrow but I doubt we have the final details yet. I'll talk preliminaries with her and see when we'd have to commit, what we'd have to commit, etc. Worse comes to worse...I won't see JoCo live again. *sniff* Or I'll miss the first part of the concert, which might be ok. I just know I have to block Friday night out for City of Heroes goodness now.

Ha, what server are they on? I mostly play Virtue.

Themiscyra on
  • RinevaRineva Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Also just wished to chip in that I am interested in a meetup! My boyfriend (Etherangel, who posted a bit earlier in the thread) and I will be getting in on Friday evening. Perhaps a late night get-together on Friday (after the City of Heroes event) or Saturday (post-concert) might be another feasible option to include more people, given everything that's going on earlier in the evenings? :)

No preference for any of the venues here. :)

Rineva on
    edited February 2011
    Rineva wrote: »
    Also just wished to chip in that I am interested in a meetup! My boyfriend (Etherangel, who posted a bit earlier in the thread) and I will be getting in on Friday evening. Perhaps a late night get-together on Friday (after the City of Heroes event) or Saturday (post-concert) might be another feasible option to include more people, given everything that's going on earlier in the evenings? :)

I'll ask about locations and how late they're open when I call UNO's tomorrow. A late night event might also be feasible. The T shuts down around, mm, 12:30 IIRC, but I'd certainly be willing to split a cab with others going back to the hotel(s).

Themiscyra on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Rineva wrote: »

I'll ask about locations and how late they're open when I call UNO's tomorrow. A late night event might also be feasible. The T shuts down around, mm, 12:30 IIRC, but I'd certainly be willing to split a cab with others going back to the hotel(s).

Late night on Friday might be cool. Saturday's going to be super packed with stuff going on, I'm sure.

I'd vote for waiting for the schedule, too. Also wanted to say thanks for taking this upon yourself, Themiscyra. <3

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited February 2011
    Okay, I just got off the phone with the marketing coordinator at UNO's. There's really no commitment necessary from us on this -- the locations near the convention center are used to large parties so we can just put in a reservation, pretty much. She suggested that the Boylston Street location and the Huntington Ave. locations may best suit our needs; Boylston Street is open until 1:30 am on Fridays and Saturdays, while Huntington is open until 1 am those days, so a late-night event should not be a problem. She'll let us know if they start filling up, but we're the first PAX group she's dealt with directly so the field's pretty open so far.

What do you guys say to a late-night Friday event, say about 11 pm? At this point that seems like it might be the best way to avoid the problem of missing all the awesome stuff at the con. We can afford to hold off a bit longer for the schedule, of course, but that seems like the best option to me right now.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Oh! Also she told me there should be an UNO's coupon in our swag bags at the con. That'll likely make things a little easier on your wallet (though I can't tell you yet if there'll be limitations on how many you can use at each table).

Themiscyra on
  • RuscoRusco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome! Late Friday night works for me. :)

Rusco on
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Late night Friday works great for me. Maybe I'll even bring my friends (both allies) who are going to PAX with me.

thorshauk on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Depending on what the schedule for PAX shows, I'm good for a late night Friday thing barring something extraordinary going on (concerts aside).

Friday nights used to be my bar night thing, and although it's been a few years, it's like riding a bike, right? You never really forget how to stay up late drinking and having a good time. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I may well pop in for this :) The B in GLBT stands for "British", right?

MelesMeles on
    edited February 2011
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Yep, Gay Lesbian British Transgender. You actually have to be all four, which excludes me, but it does help that the first two are potentially redundant... ;)

You're certainly welcome, in any event! I will post with a firmer timeframe once we have the schedule.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Yep, Gay Lesbian British Transgender. You actually have to be all four, which excludes me, but it does help that the first two are potentially redundant... ;)

You're certainly welcome, in any event! I will post with a firmer timeframe once we have the schedule.

Hehe, excellent :P

I don't think I can satisfy all four, but I'm sure I cover enough of them :P

MelesMeles on
    edited February 2011

I can. :wink:
    (Sorry... low hanging fruit.)

More on topic, a late thing Friday night would be more preferable to Saturday night as we haven't hit the critical level of con fatigue yet. Also, I'm seconding the thanks too!

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited February 2011

I can. :wink:
    (Sorry... low hanging fruit.)

I salute you.

MelesMeles on
  • nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Friday night would work well for me as well. Uno sounds fine! :^:

nyfilmfest on