As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not a religious man but Jesus Christ.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm sorry, I love that video so much. That giant crazy fuck is practically upright rowing the bar off the ground, it's ridiculous.

Peen on
  • TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what do you mean by "mild chili sauce"

This is what I buy.

i44jn6.jpg

It is hells of cheap and runs 22/4/60 (P/F/C) per can. Label doesn't list fibre but it should be up there.

TheRealBadger on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am looking for a good, simple weight-lifting program, can anyone direct me thusly?

I have a membership to the Y and I want to work with the free weights but I'm kind of clueless as to where to start. How do you determine how much weight to start off with, etc?

I'm not trying to get massive or compete or anything. I would just like to excersize and build strength.

troublebrewing on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am looking for a good, simple weight-lifting program, can anyone direct me thusly?

I have a membership to the Y and I want to work with the free weights but I'm kind of clueless as to where to start. How do you determine how much weight to start off with, etc?

I'm not trying to get massive or compete or anything. I would just like to excersize and build strength.

Can't go wrong with starting strength. I think you can even find it online but you should get the book. Best $20 you'll ever spend in getting yourself healthy.

webguy20 on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

Can't go wrong with starting strength. I think you can even find it online but you should get the book. Best $20 you'll ever spend in getting yourself healthy.

I wholeheartedly endorse SS - there's a reason that you hear 'Rippetoe' at least once when someone mentions 'Strength Training'.

I'm currently using Stronglifts 5x5 as my program and it's certainly making waves with my own progress.

Just remember to start with an empty bar - get technique down pat first, then start loading.

RisenPhoenix on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seven months after my wreck, and I can finally work my lower back and obliques now without hurting myself.

On that note, looking at my limited cupboard options for some protein, and I have peanut butter. Does that taste better on plain bread or on toast? I don't normally eat peanut butter.

Weaver on
    edited January 2011
    I'd say Toast, because the heat melts the peanut butter just a little. But it's all down to personal preference, really.

RisenPhoenix on
    edited January 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    Seven months after my wreck, and I can finally work my lower back and obliques now without hurting myself.

On that note, looking at my limited cupboard options for some protein, and I have peanut butter. Does that taste better on plain bread or on toast? I don't normally eat peanut butter.

chunky or smooth? Also peanut butter is best on pancakes and waffles.

webguy20 on
    edited January 2011
    Smooth. I went with toast, which was good.

It feels so good to be able to run again and work my midsection. Also giving up smoking again, which I picked back up after the wreck. Gonna get fit again!

Weaver on
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

chunky or smooth? Also peanut butter is best on pancakes and waffles.

Toast, then put the PB on, then sprinkle some chocolate chips on it and fold it. Let it melt for a few and you have an amazing reese's cup

Jyardana on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spread the peanut butter on half a tortilla, cut up banana and place the slices on the peanut butter, fold the tortilla in half, and eat your peanut butter-banana taco!

Sometimes I put raisins on it too.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well everyone knows Jim Wendler is a freak of nature, and (iirc) also juices.

I finally got around to videoing myself squatting. 225 lbs. felt really good tonight (and is a personal best)... but my gorram back is still ruining my form. I either need to strengthen it the hell up, or fix my flexibility issues and start squatting low bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H5cbskvxB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylcqIHeX1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnilWY6n20

Hamurabi on
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Good stuff Ham. I really wish I could get a camera set up, don't think my gym allows it. Maybe if I go late.
    By the way, saw you lift in socks, if you get a chance pick yourself up some Vibram's five fingers, got a pair of em and man, just love em. Kick ass shoes, when you get used to them it's hard to wear other stuff, they're just so comfy and light.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. That shit is like crack.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited January 2011
    I considered Vibrams, but they're so odd and attention-grabbing that I'd only ever wear them to the gym, which seems like kind of a waste. My other beef would be why you'd buy something to try and simulate being barefoot... when you can just go in socks? I mean sure, wearing socks isn't exactly like being barefoot... but it's not far from it.

I might be more interested in a pair if I ever did serious running, I guess.

Hamurabi on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright so I posted this like everywhere else but I'm really frustrated right now and could use some help

I was trying to do squats today and discovered that I...can't. I can't get that low with my feet flat on the ground; there simply isn't any way. A quick search revealed that it's probably due to short/tight Achilles' tendons, which would make sense.

So, is there a way to stretch 'em out or something? It's infuriating me.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright so I posted this like everywhere else but I'm really frustrated right now and could use some help

I was trying to do squats today and discovered that I...can't. I can't get that low with my feet flat on the ground; there simply isn't any way. A quick search revealed that it's probably due to short/tight Achilles' tendons, which would make sense.

Yes. First, don't do the usual cheat method and put a plate under your heels. That forces you into more of a forward lean, makes you unbalanced and can cause knee problems in the long run.

Keep squatting. Even if you can't get that low right away, go down as far as you can. You should get more flexible over time. Try bodyweight squats facing the wall. Go as low as you can.

Do some work on ankle, calf, hamstring and hip flexibility.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hi weightlifting thread.

I know that the general rule is that machines are always worse than free weight , but how much so? I've started adding in squats to my weight lifting routine and I'm really concerned about fucking up my back with sloppy form while I'm not able to handle much weight. Is it wrong to want to get started on the machine and get some experience with the exercise under my belt before moving on to a bar?

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    You're going to hurt yourself a lot more on a squat machine that you ever would with a bar, and it isn't going to teach you to transition because you'll have to learn the balance and build up stabilizer muscles that won't be used with the machine. Just start with a bar and work your way up.

A duck! on
    edited January 2011
    Hi weightlifting thread.

I know that the general rule is that machines are always worse than free weight , but how much so? I've started adding in squats to my weight lifting routine and I'm really concerned about fucking up my back with sloppy form while I'm not able to handle much weight. Is it wrong to want to get started on the machine and get some experience with the exercise under my belt before moving on to a bar?

Rippetoe knows his squats - I've watched these videos over and over and used them to make sure my form is on point.

RisenPhoenix on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

How close together are your feet? Are you sitting back or letting your knees move forward too much?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
    edited January 2011

It's taken me almost 6 months to start getting deep enough on squat, and I've had doctors tell me I'm on the inflexible side of things naturally, so it will come. One thing that has helped a bunch was once I was able to squat at all with my heels on the floor I set up a box for a target and squatted for that. It kept me leaning back correctly or else my bum wouldn't hit the box. I Really like that.

webguy20 on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you're having trouble getting deep, widen your stance, point your toes out more, and shove your knees out sideways so they track over your feet.

Someone please link what they consider to be a good pre-lifting or post-lifting stretch routine with particular emphasis on hip and back.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2011
    My gym has one of those stretching cages, and it has a little primer on it that outlines good stretches for major muscle groups. The hip stretches I tried yesterday before squatting were primarily about lifting your leg up and forcing your core down at the same time, from different angles.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix my issue with the bar basically doubling me over when I try to get deep, though? Should I just go for a reset? I know my legs can lift 225... but my back is really holding me back, as it were.

Hamurabi on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    If you're having trouble getting deep, widen your stance, point your toes out more, and shove your knees out sideways so they track over your feet.

Someone please link what they consider to be a good pre-lifting or post-lifting stretch routine with particular emphasis on hip and back.

This is about as comprehensive of a pre-workout warmup/stretch routine as you could hope for, with video of course. I don't do everything in the video, but I did it and then took out the stuff I thought I didn't need. It is great for giving ideas for good warm-up moves.

big l on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    My gym has one of those stretching cages, and it has a little primer on it that outlines good stretches for major muscle groups. The hip stretches I tried yesterday before squatting were primarily about lifting your leg up and forcing your core down at the same time, from different angles.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix my issue with the bar basically doubling me over when I try to get deep, though? Should I just go for a reset? I know my legs can lift 225... but my back is really holding me back, as it were.

This is just my opinion, Ham, but I think you should reset.

And when you do, really focus on the bottom of your squat. For instance, I noticed that as you hit the bottom of your squat, you tend to lean forward a little bit - and in your case, it seems like this is because your lower back isn't tight enough. You should really concentrate on keeping your chest up, and your low-back tight.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I prefer the machines at my gym to free weights because the weight of the free weights I use seems embarrassing am I a homosexual??????

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A dude on the machine always looks more lame to me than anyone doing free weights, even if they're doing twice as much on the machines

Then again no one really looks lame because just being in the gym is cause for hi5s

Also: yes.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited January 2011
    Darn

In other news, being skinny is nice

Two sessions and I already have a six pack again

This doesn't reay mean anything because my goal is to put on weight if anything, but I'm just surprised how quickly it came back

Track 100m dash tryouts probay helped

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I prefer the machines at my gym to free weights because the weight of the free weights I use seems embarrassing am I a homosexual??????

Get the shake weights. All of them, preferably in a light pink colour. One in each hand, and if you can, one between your feet as well (you'll have to sit down for that manoeuvre).

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited January 2011
    Okay I got shake weights and this guy is saying to film myself??

I guess i will because I want muscles

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Don't forget the model that sprays you with a fine cool-down mist at the end

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    moocow wrote: »

How close together are your feet? Are you sitting back or letting your knees move forward too much?

It is currently physically impossible for my heels to touch the floor while my hips are below my knees, or even level with them.

Any more stretches that you guys can share?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011
    Does the mist build muscles too??

I already injected my balls with this syringe b/c it looked cool when I did it

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Only if you open your mouth

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    You're going to hurt yourself a lot more on a squat machine that you ever would with a bar, and it isn't going to teach you to transition because you'll have to learn the balance and build up stabilizer muscles that won't be used with the machine. Just start with a bar and work your way up.

That's a bit misleading. If you drop the bar or lose your balance you'll get pretty injured. Paralysed, even. You get injured by smith machines because they put you in an unnatural position with a lot of weight. Which means a smith machine forces you to be dangerous, but you will injure yourself with freeweights if you have bad form or make a mistake.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    JAK wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »

That's a bit misleading. If you drop the bar or lose your balance you'll get pretty injured. Paralysed, even. You get injured by smith machines because they put you in an unnatural position with a lot of weight. Which means a smith machine forces you to be dangerous, but you will injure yourself with freeweights if you have bad form or make a mistake.

I squat in a cage, so I know in my case I'd have to be fairly retarded to hurt myself. I'm not really sure how you're going to inadvertently just drop a bar squatting, though. The biggest danger should be leaning forward, failing the lift and getting compressed because you can't drop the bar.

A duck! on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i didnt do the exact thing badger does
    but i made a ghetto meal

put some chicken thighs in a pot, cooked them a bit with some spices
    put can of black beans
    put can of fire roasted tomatoes with chilis

let simmer

good meal

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited January 2011
    My only squat-related injury was tearing my left thigh and having to get around with a cane for a few months.

Weaver on
This discussion has been closed.