As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got a Neilson thing in the mail once, and it came with a dollar. A real dollar bill!

I work for a TV station, so I can't fill it out, and my roomate couldn't either (because he lived with someone employed by a network - me!), but damn that was honestly the crispest dollar bill I ever had.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Something I don't understand:

The networks get money from DVD sales, right?

I only buy Season sets now; I just have had it with commercials & cliffhanger endings. I want to watch an entire chapter of the story, and without being constantly interrupted with 'BUY OUR STUFF PLZ!!!!'

...And then shows that I like and shell out money for are cancelled because 'they didn't have good ratings'. Well, yeah, of fucking course they don't, because people are watching it on DVD at their convenience, not on cable. As long as the network is getting income from a show, why the Hell would they care what ratings the show has?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think you're a tiny minority there Ender. Who would buy an entire series of something they haven't seen?

People who watch things "at their convenience" are more likely just to record it given the advent of things like "series link" and various iPlayer type services.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Humm. prequel episode maybe. Or maybe the alternate william bell isnt really dead but our willy kept him hidden from walternate.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    Something I don't understand:

The networks get money from DVD sales, right?

I only buy Season sets now; I just have had it with commercials & cliffhanger endings. I want to watch an entire chapter of the story, and without being constantly interrupted with 'BUY OUR STUFF PLZ!!!!'

...And then shows that I like and shell out money for are cancelled because 'they didn't have good ratings'. Well, yeah, of fucking course they don't, because people are watching it on DVD at their convenience, not on cable. As long as the network is getting income from a show, why the Hell would they care what ratings the show has?

Because, among the many other ass-backward things the system does is- it requires you to watch commercials for them to make money. They may not get ANY money from DVD sales. The whole thing is outdated and needs to die, but no one wants to do it/can come up with a better system/wants to stop milking this one.

And that info on Twitter fits twitters M.O.: Could be anything, need more information!

Xeddicus on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We're going to have to wait a week to see how a new Supernatural will affect the ratings since the CW just decided to delay the return of Supernatural for a week. It will be up against a rerun of Nikita instead.

Captain Tragedy on
    edited January 2011
    Well, that had a few good scenes in it. But I hope:
    That they come up with a different reason why Peter did what he did/is going to do instead of "The Machine changed him.". How about the fact they took Olivia and he found out so now is making sure it doesn't happen again? Or just wants good old fashioned revenge/is pissed off over the whole thing/wants to save the world?

He's not totally off the mark going solo, look at all the shifters all over. On the other hand, he knows Walter and Olivia can be trusted. I'm sure they'll convince him he's wrong in the end anyway.

The conversation with Nina when Walter found out about Peter seemed weird with the "What samples?" line. Like she forgot he snorted brain growing...stuff...right in front of her earlier.

Xeddicus on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I got a Neilson thing in the mail once, and it came with a dollar. A real dollar bill!

I work for a TV station, so I can't fill it out, and my roomate couldn't either (because he lived with someone employed by a network - me!), but damn that was honestly the crispest dollar bill I ever had.

I was able to impact Radio ratings about 10 years ago. 15 years ago video game mags (made $350 in a day).

also

tonight spoiler
    peter is a wmd

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I laughed at
    James Wilson turning up on the list of shapeshifters.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I agree the conversation was a little weird Xeddicus, I like to think it just magnified what was already there, in regards to Peter.

Either way I like.

Lady Eri on
    edited January 2011
    Suppose it was to illustrate how important the Peter stuff was and how Walter being Walter isn't really worth recalling at the moment.

Oh, and am I misremembering or have shapeshifters gotten a lot easier to kill?

Xeddicus on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Was that the first time the term "Fauxlivia" was used in-show?

Captain Tragedy on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes. Apparently Walter takes cues on what to name doubles from internet forums.

It's actually a little annoying.

theSquid on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    theSquid wrote: »
    Yes. Apparently Walter takes cues on what to name doubles from internet forums.

It's actually a little annoying.

Nah, not really. It was actually rather amusing.

Ketar on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, nothing wrong with it. What else should they call her?...Bolivia? :P

Xeddicus on
    edited January 2011
    I thought the Bolivia name was dumb from day one, and that Altlivia or Fauxlivia was much better.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Nothing wrong with Bolivia, either. Everyone (two people) is hating on poor Alt-Olivia's nicknames. :(

Xeddicus on
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going with "That Bitch".

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    edited January 2011
    Haha.

Xeddicus on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »

They gave me two dollars!

And then also never got back to me after I filled out the survey.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2011
    And hooray, still steady at a 1.9. Of course, all the new stuff has to come back and then DST kicks in etc etc, but I'll just assume renewal is a lock based on this good news.

Xeddicus on
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Bolivia, either. Everyone (two people) is hating on poor Alt-Olivia's nicknames. :(

I only dislike Walter using it. It kinda takes me out of the show.

theSquid on
    edited January 2011
    Well, popular theory is Walternate was swiped from the net, too. And there's only so many things to call them.

Xeddicus on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Where does Bolivia come from?

Walter was calling her Folivia.. (y'know, for fake olivia)

Daxon on
    edited January 2011
    Well, popular theory is Walternate was swiped from the net, too. And there's only so many things to call them.

That was a little funny, but still very jarring.

I don't know, maybe I just hate French words.

theSquid on
    edited January 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Where does Bolivia come from?

Walter was calling her Folivia.. (y'know, for fake olivia)

It was just another nickname thrown around for it. And it was actually "Fauxlivia" he called her, another term used around here and the interwebs.

Xeddicus on
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to mention some minutia I like.

I like the how sometime Broyles (our Broyles ofc) has to deal with common everyday misunderstandings/dumbshit.

"YES it's important, that's why I said IMMEDIATELY."

There were some others recently that I don't recall word for word. I like that they try to add a little bit of that kind of reality into the show instead of have everything flow in normal TV perfection. Reminds me of the Firefly Lion/Alliance thing in the last episode and you don't see a lot of shows do it.

Then they homage the thing they are avoiding when Broyles and Olivia pick up the phone, listen for literally .25 seconds, and then say "GOT IT! I AM ON MY WAY!" What did you get? "Hell-"?

Lady Eri on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, that had a few good scenes in it. But I hope: That they come up with a different reason why Peter did what he did/is going to do instead of "The Machine changed him.". How about the fact they took Olivia and he found out so now is making sure it doesn't happen again? Or just wants good old fashioned revenge/is pissed off over the whole thing/wants to save the world?

He's not totally off the mark going solo, look at all the shifters all over. On the other hand, he knows Walter and Olivia can be trusted. I'm sure they'll convince him he's wrong in the end anyway.

The conversation with Nina when Walter found out about Peter seemed weird with the "What samples?" line. Like she forgot he snorted brain growing...stuff...right in front of her earlier.

Fingers crossed. I'm hoping that Pacey has an agenda passed on some actual details, the episode seemed to pretty blatant in going "Hey, remember that he's an excellent con artist", so maybe he knew that Fauxlivia was Fauxliva all along.

Also, can we try to use spoilers with a bit more restraint? The episode aired, it's fine to openly discuss what happened. Episode previews, leaked bits and pieces and the like -> Those live inside tags.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Re: TT

It really struck me this episode how Peter Bishop is now the sci-fi tv equivalent of Dawn Summers. (As a plot device, not in terms of personality.)

Also, so glad they canonized the genius "Fauxlivia" over the nonsensical "Bolivia" nickname now.

Opium on
    edited January 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Well, that had a few good scenes in it. But I hope: That they come up with a different reason why Peter did what he did/is going to do instead of "The Machine changed him.". How about the fact they took Olivia and he found out so now is making sure it doesn't happen again? Or just wants good old fashioned revenge/is pissed off over the whole thing/wants to save the world?

Fingers crossed. I'm hoping that Pacey has an agenda passed on some actual details, the episode seemed to pretty blatant in going "Hey, remember that he's an excellent con artist", so maybe he knew that Fauxlivia was Fauxliva all along.

Also, can we try to use spoilers with a bit more restraint? The episode aired, it's fine to openly discuss what happened. Episode previews, leaked bits and pieces and the like -> Those live inside tags.

I don't think that Peter ever knew about Faux-Olivia until the call, or that its even being implied, why would he test her then when he did figure it out?

Lady Eri on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So who is Michael beard/berd and why does that name sound familiar?

Barcardi on
    edited January 2011
    I don't recall that name and a quick internet search doesn't bring anything up.

Xeddicus on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Michael Baird was one of the dead shapeshifters.

Ketar on
    edited January 2011
    Ketar wrote: »

Michael Baird was one of the dead shapeshifters.

Yes, but I assume he meant in a wider context than that.

Xeddicus on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "The password was a song lyric. Fauxlivia ruined U2 for all of us" caused me to laugh out loud for a while. It was just the grave seriousness and the way Walter said it.

Well done, Fringe.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited February 2011
    "The password was a song lyric. Fauxlivia ruined U2 for all of us" caused me to laugh out loud for a while. It was just the grave seriousness and the way Walter said it.

Well done, Fringe.

hahaha i totally missed that.

i love how we have a whole mini story that we got to see fauxlivia discover U2 over here, learn about them, use the fact almost everyone loves U2 to her advantage, and eventually go back to the other side a fan.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited February 2011
    How did she use it to her advantage? It was actually a mistake to use them, as Peter getting her password shows. Would have been better off using a lyric from V3 (or some other band that isn't over here).

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    How did she use it to her advantage? It was actually a mistake to use them, as Peter getting her password shows. Would have been better off using a lyric from V3 (or some other band that isn't over here).

at one point didn't she get Peter U2 tickets randomly?

it was the only band she knew over here, she knew everyone loved them, and it got her in more with Peter.

mxmarks on
    edited February 2011
    That's really stretching it into an 'advantage' (if it even happened, I don't recall that, but you could very well be correct). Her biggest advantage was Olivia kissing Peter right before the switch I'd say.

Xeddicus on