As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Universe Online] Now Free-to-Play! Lightning Strikes DLC now available, zappy zappy.

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aren't you the one that likes final fantasy?

Euphoriac on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Out of curiosity, how is that relevant?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited January 2011
    You didn't clarify what bottom-feeding meant. I assume you meant grinding for iconic battlesuits which constitutes a large percentage of the end-game (as with most MMOs). My understanding is that FF is an atrociously long grind? If i'm mistaken then apologies but I think calling standard MMO end-game practice 'bottom-feeding' is a wee bit asinine from that perspective.

Euphoriac on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    I mean spending time hunting people who are 20 levels below them.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2011
    Oh that. Yeah people are dicks. My best advice would be to roll on a PvE server. All the advantages with none of the asshats.

Really; this game is too awesome to abandon over something that can be avoided so easily. Maybe Darkness Falls?

Euphoriac on
    edited January 2011
    It's good, but I will wait for the next several content updates before I call it awesome. I want to see where they are going with it, but it isn't quite fleshed out enough just yet for a sub.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's good, but I will wait for the next several content updates before I call it awesome. I want to see where they are going with it, but it isn't quite fleshed out enough just yet for a sub.

Yeah, while they have me for at least the next month, I'm gonna have to wait and see what they have planned for new content (both what and when) before I'd recommend this to friends...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm playing this on PS3 and god damn did they amp the LFE channel. I had to actually turn off my sub, melee hits were shaking the house.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brother Eye is a jerk with his drones and OMACs spamming you when you finally get to him.

That is all.

TexiKen on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    so the launcher is telling me "unable to retrieve assets from server"

anyone else getting this? it is basically worse than hitler

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My boss loves the game so much he bought me a copy. It's installing now.....forever

Algertman on
    edited January 2011
    I'm noticing a lot more flaws once I've hit 30 that weren't as visible beforehand.

For instance, it seems like most of the Duos are bugged, so that you can't complete the mission because a door locks or someone left and when you show up you can't get anywhere (the Zatanna Faust one). Cap the duo or alert to reset after 8 or so people have jumped in and out or something, I hate seeing on the list 20 other people being in the instance before me. On top of that the lag is getting noticeable when you do 4v4 PVP games; dual pistols has a nice jump back leading into a super shot combo that can do some nice damage, but the clicking never works as well as it does against NPCs. You're already at a disadvantage as a controller, you don't need that messing you up even more. And I really don't understand how they can let a Legends game continue when one person on your team leaves; you need everyone you can, and 3 v 4 is pretty brutal (I even got a 1 v 2 in the Batcave, what the hell)

This ignores other things like no one using their roles to any real degree in PVP and other player-centric things, as well as the flat out grind of trying to get Marks of Victory/Legend, etc. Maybe I've hit the wall with the game.

TexiKen on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    well a controller might want to go dps in pvp as tank role does more damage to controller role but not to dps role. if you're controller role then you want to hunt healers

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Threepio wrote: »
    I'm playing this on PS3 and god damn did they amp the LFE channel. I had to actually turn off my sub, melee hits were shaking the house.

THIS holy god. The thumps and thwacks are so freaking loud, I switched from 5.1 to Stereo. Not just the sub but both my rear speakers just fucking blast the low tones / combat sounds.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This game allowed me to make a Nick Fury knock off named Richard Hardtop. I love it.

Algertman on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm undecided what to think about the game at the moment. It's fun, but until they get some of the stuff fixed at 30 like the queueing system I'm not sure it's worth $15 a month. The silence from the developers about when to expect more content isn't good either. Honestly, with how fast the leveling is in the game, there wasn't enough max level content at 30 I don't think.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm undecided what to think about the game at the moment. It's fun, but until they get some of the stuff fixed at 30 like the queueing system I'm not sure it's worth $15 a month. The silence from the developers about when to expect more content isn't good either. Honestly, with how fast the leveling is in the game, there wasn't enough max level content at 30 I don't think.

The silence isn't actually surprising.

They'll tell us around the 11th it's just how MMO's work release your content update/info right around the time the first month ends so you can convince people to stay.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

They've said the Feb release includes a character that will be known to hardcore DC fans as well as the general public which AFAIK leaves Constantine or Hal Jordan Green Lantern. Also they've stated they're working on the chat system. No word on the queuing system yet thought.

As for enough content.... There are weeks of faction grinding for armor already built in: press N and look at your faction. Also there are the epic iconic loot drops to farm for (e.g. Scarecrow's mask/hat).

I would also recommend running up the other side. The boss fights are very different in a lot of instances.

tdewey10 on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe it's the ease and speed to level up, but I have yet get to 30 on a character. My first guy was a dual wielding ice guy, which is at 11 I think. My next is a 23 fire hand cannon. I abandoned her to create an adult version of cupid with sorcery, which I'm digging.

I think I'm gonna stick with cupid for laughs and heals. I've been in a few alerts on my fire gal in which heals were non existent and we paid for it. Hive is a fucking nightmare.

tallgeeze on
    edited January 2011
    tdewey10 wrote: »
    As for enough content.... There are weeks of faction grinding for armor already built in: press N and look at your faction. Also there are the epic iconic loot drops to farm for (e.g. Scarecrow's mask/hat).

Weeks of faction grinding isn't something anyone I am personally acquainted with would be willing to pay a subscription for.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2011
    I've got plenty of alts I made to take to 30, starting with the villain side which I haven't touched outside of the starting area.

It's going to get old eventually, but who am I to complain. Nearly 60 hours for £30 so far? Sounds like good value to me! :D

Euphoriac on
    edited February 2011
    Are the servers down tonight? Tried getting on just to clean up inventory and maybe respec my character but haven't been able to in the last 10-15 minutes.

TexiKen on
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Let me see if I can clarify what I mean

Current End-Game content:
    6 Daily Challenge Quests - These quests never change, and only get easier the more you do them because you learn the fight patterns and obtain better gear.
    4 Daily non-challenge quests - 3 of these quests are the same 3 quests on Stryker's Island every day. Again, once you learn how they're do nothing but take up time. The 4th quest (random villainy) is just a matter of smacking some people as you run to the starting locations of the other quests.
    Duos - 4 duos a day, just expanded versions of solo content. These are my favorite end-game activity. But 4 just isn't enough, especially when they're primarily recycled content. Add in the queue problems (I'll detail those later in the post) and you have an exercise in frustration.
    Hard-Mode Alerts - Fun if you can get a good group. Unfortunately, half of the hard-mode alerts are tuned to be run with full T1 gear, yet only award T1 gear. A foolish setup.
    Raids - Honest answer, I haven't run any raids, so I can't pass judgement.

Bugs and annoyances:
    Queue System - The absolute biggest thing. You Queue for an alert and only 1 person comes in, and you're expected to finish with just 2 people. Or, you get into a bugged alert that others already started and there's no way for you to finish, so you get saved and can't complete that alert for a day. This bug happens in Duos too, locking you out of them as well. I've been locked out of 3/4 duos in a single day. When these are such a big part of the end-game, it's inexcusable.

Busy playing Black Ops right now, won't write more. I will say the PvP in the game is good, but the queue problems apply there as well, leading to lobsided matches. Not $15 a month good though.

MasterOfPupets on
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just as a heads up to everyone in this thread, I quite likely will not be renewing my subscription for the game past my free 30-days.

The reason for this is simply for my abundant crashes, and while I did find myself a semi-fix that lengthened the time it takes for a crash to occur it just seems like a futile thing with a game like this. Where I could end up dealing with a crash at a high action moment in an Alert or Raid, and find myself coming back... no longer within said Alert or Raid.

However I will still maintain the OP, and I will still wholly expect all of you to PM me about updates that need to be done to it. I will also be passing on League Leadership of G.I.F.T on Darkness Falls to Corriganx.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not sure if you've tried this yet, but just run in windowed mode.

I've been running in windowed mode since the first round of crashes, and i've yet to have another one.

Archonex on
    edited February 2011
    That, sadly, is the semi-fix I spoke of. Compiling that with turning off VSync in-game allowed me to play for an hour or so without any problems, but the crashes would still occur.

Arthil on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Try D3DOverrider

Add the DCOGame.exe (i think thats what it is called) to it.

Worked awesome for me. No triple buffer was making my game really choppy. D3DOverrider turns on triple buffer and v-sync in the game and it is SMOOOOTH

FlipprDolphin on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    According to IGN's recent DCUO news, it looks like DC's favorite feline filcher of fabulous fortunes will be finding herself front and center for February's update.

Dizzen on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    February update looks GOOOOOOD :D

Also that trailer was badass!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Duos - 4 duos a day, just expanded versions of solo content. These are my favorite end-game activity. But 4 just isn't enough, especially when they're primarily recycled content.

Feb adds another level 30 instance (catwomen), another duo, a valentine themed alert, a valentine themed 100 person cluster&*^%, another PvP event in Gotham and another T2 raid.

Agree the bugs, queue and chat issues need to be fixed.

tdewey10 on
    edited February 2011
    Hello. My name is Flippr and I have alt-itis :(

ANYWAY, I did my first Alert ever! It was very very fun. We had no healer, so it was tough, but we got through it. I was a Fire Tank and thankfully took my healing ability or I would of been toast so many times.

Then after that I thought "MAN, I wish we had a healer!" So I rolled a Sorcery person so I can do healing in alerts!

Im never getting past level 10!! I think I have around 5 characters between levels 6 and 10

FlipprDolphin on
    edited February 2011

ANYWAY, I did my first Alert ever! It was very very fun. We had no healer, so it was tough, but we got through it. I was a Fire Tank and thankfully took my healing ability or I would of been toast so many times.

Then after that I thought "MAN, I wish we had a healer!" So I rolled a Sorcery person so I can do healing in alerts!

Im never getting past level 10!! I think I have around 5 characters between levels 6 and 10

You're missing out on the fun. Some great instances post-10 ;-)

tdewey10 on
    edited February 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    That, sadly, is the semi-fix I spoke of. Compiling that with turning off VSync in-game allowed me to play for an hour or so without any problems, but the crashes would still occur.

I've had bugs galore but never a hard crash and I run on a pretty middle-of-the-road system. I'm curious what your specs are and when was the last time you updated graphics drivers?

tdewey10 on
    edited February 2011

You're missing out on the fun. Some great instances post-10 ;-)

I KNOW!!! I cant wait to pick a dude to use :P

FlipprDolphin on
  • weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this any good on PS3? I love all my MMO's on PC, but I really like the idea of having an MMO on console for those frequent times where my g/f is hogging my PC playing Sims 3 all day long. but if it's far inferior, then there is no way I'd waste the money.

K-Mart is selling the PS3 version for $45 right now so it seems like the time to buy it if i go that route.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The game looks great, and I would like to buy it, but I was wondering if there was any sort of try before you buy yet?

KoopahTroopah on
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    like most MMOs, they don't have a trial at launch, and probably won't for a good bit. There are some buddy passes available from people who bought boxed versions of the game, but those go pretty quickly when they are advertised.

gotta say, I'm having fun so far. playing on hero-side darkness falls with a few friends and we've just recently started doing the hard alerts and all. Good stuff.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I havent been able to play in almost 2 weeks because my GTX460 crapped out and I am waiting on a RMA.

I guess you can take me off of the 'waiting to be invited' list as it will be a while I am thinking.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I had to do the Daily Planet/Hall of Doom Superman mission twice because for some reason, once I got to Luthor I beat him up a bit and he teleported away and I couldn't fight him or finish the mission. On top of that I never received the JLA emblem and am hella sad about that. Did the QA team just not care after the first few missions about these kinds of things?

And when I logged in today to see if I could, I spawned outside the Watchtower, falling. It kind of shocks you when you keep falling and you see the Earth in front of you. Here I am outside looking in, asking for someone to help me:

MHQS103_AUDIO-PC-01-1536230.jpg

they didn't care, looking at their monitors....

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

I've had bugs galore but never a hard crash and I run on a pretty middle-of-the-road system. I'm curious what your specs are and when was the last time you updated graphics drivers?

Both my Graphics and Sound drivers are always kept up to date, and to the person suggesting using a program to force VSync and triple buffering, turning off my VSync in-game was one of the only things that HELPED me, I'm not so sure forcing it via outside means would be a good thing.

On my specs, lemme dig them up.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc
    System Model: XPS 630i
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
    Page File: 1771MB used, 10509MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTS 240
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0607&SUBSYS_073610DE&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 3816 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1001 MB
    Shared Memory: 2814 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: Acer H233H
    Monitor Id: ACR00A0
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Fuck forgot my graphics card.

Arthil on