As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nice

Don't forget a rulebook, unless you already gots one

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't, but I'm fairly sure ill be able to pickup a mini on the cheap somewhere. Don't worry, I buy my rulebooks and army books/codicies. I'm most definitely not that guy

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nax wrote: »
    I don't, but I'm fairly sure ill be able to pickup a mini on the cheap somewhere. Don't worry, I buy my rulebooks and army books/codicies. I'm most definitely not that guy

Yeah I figured :)

The Warstore I think usually has mini-rulebooks, at least they did for the last edition. Also the hardcover is well worth it, especially if you're new to FB

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What extras does it have over the mini? I'm not as interested in FB fluff like I am with 40k, so I don't think fluff alone would get me to drop the extra money on a hard cover

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What extras does it have over the mini? I'm not as interested in FB fluff like I am with 40k, so I don't think fluff alone would get me to drop the extra money on a hard cover

Its got fluff and all that. The fluff is really, really, really great. Plus 40k really isn't just fantasy in space. Knowing all that stuff would be a good idea/

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah well then. The extra stuff is mostly fluff, but it does also include basic painting and modelling tips, several tens of pages of "inspirational" (read "depressing") GD-quality painted models, and a section on narrative battles including guidelines for creating your own scenarios and some examples.
    Also; it is fucking huge and therefore makes a great impression. Especially when you throw it hard enough. :P

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, first I wanted to start Wood Elves and bought their Army Book and a blister with Rangers, but they're kind of, quite bad and restricted in their troop selection. Then I was thinking Skaven, got me the Army Book and a Doom Wheel - and I don't want to paint a million miniatures (2-points infantry? fuck that). But now, now I'm pretty sure, Daemons is where's it at. Plus, they look cool, are rather cheap and easy to paint (because they're all naked).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, first I wanted to start Wood Elves and bought their Army Book and a blister with Rangers, but they're kind of, quite bad and restricted in their troop selection. Then I was thinking Skaven, got me the Army Book and a Doom Wheel - and I don't want to paint a million miniatures (2-points infantry? fuck that). But now, now I'm pretty sure, Daemons is where's it at. Plus, they look cool, are rather cheap and easy to paint (because they're all naked).
    Except, ironically, the Slaaneshi ones.
    Unless you go for the previous metal daemonettes.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Ah well then. The extra stuff is mostly fluff, but it does also include basic painting and modelling tips, several tens of pages of "inspirational" (read "depressing") GD-quality painted models, and a section on narrative battles including guidelines for creating your own scenarios and some examples.
    Also; it is fucking huge and therefore makes a great impression. Especially when you throw it hard enough. :P

Yeah, ill be fine with a mini :) My codex/rulebook bag is getting full enough as it is :)

Nax on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Except, ironically, the Slaaneshi ones.
    Unless you go for the previous metal daemonettes.

Nah, but I don't like the current ones much either - I want those http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7395/daemonettes20of20slaane.gif

but just a small unit, they roll no dice against Bloodletters

e: painting a Bloodletter means putting a thick layer of red on it and be done with it.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And on the bright side, setting up a Daemon army on the other side of the table no longer causes people to punch you in the groin, an obvious plus.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    5+ ward save can kiss my ass, haha. My beasts got destroyed in round 2 in my last game vs. Daemons due to my Bestigors' special ability "Statistical Anomaly" that makes them roll lots of 1s to wound.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Nah, but I don't like the current ones much either - I want those http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7395/daemonettes20of20slaane.gif

e: painting a Bloodletter means putting a thick layer of red on it and be done with it.
      Th...those are the previous, metal daemonettes...o_O:?:

Mr_Rose on
    • Options
      MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
      edited February 2011
      mugginns wrote: »

Its got fluff and all that. The fluff is really, really, really great. Plus 40k really isn't just fantasy in space. Knowing all that stuff would be a good idea/

I think that WFB fluff is vastly better than 40k. It's more coherent, more nuanced, and there's a lot more detail to it. It's also like crack if you're anything of a history fan; digging up nerdy easter eggs is the best.

40k has an advantage in its scope and scale; it's big, it's flashy, and it doesn't look like anything else on the surface. Once you get past that surface (these days, at least) it's a pretty standard science-fantasy space opera. Warhammer, on the other hand, is highly speculative sci-fi wearing a bog-standard fantasy world's dead skin as a suit. The irony is baked in from the ground up.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
      edited February 2011

Indeed.

Mago on
      Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Morskittar wrote: »
      mugginns wrote: »

I think that WFB fluff is vastly better than 40k. It's more coherent, more nuanced, and there's a lot more detail to it. It's also like crack if you're anything of a history fan; digging up nerdy easter eggs is the best.

40k has an advantage in its scope and scale; it's big, it's flashy, and it doesn't look like anything else on the surface. Once you get past that surface (these days, at least) it's a pretty standard science-fantasy space opera. Warhammer, on the other hand, is highly speculative sci-fi wearing a bog-standard fantasy world's dead skin as a suit. The irony is baked in from the ground up.

Yip

mugginns on
      E26cO.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      I have no doubt that there is some epic fluff, but that's just not the draw for me. Hell, I LOVE the 40k fluff, but I've flipped through the fluff in the 40k book maybe twice. Its just not the draw for me, is all :)

Nax on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      I have no doubt that there is some epic fluff, but that's just not the draw for me. Hell, I LOVE the 40k fluff, but I've flipped through the fluff in the 40k book maybe twice. Its just not the draw for me, is all :)

NOOOOOO YOU MUST THINK LIKE MEEEEE.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
      edited February 2011
      Guys, what does a "good" rabble of Stormvermin look like?

I am going to be doing a Clan Rictus themed army and their thing seems to be badass Stormvermin so how can I outfit them to make them rule?

I used to throw on Shields onto them but then I found out they can't use the shield with their hand weapon to get that parry save- in hand to hand, they default to their halberds- which means I should take them in a more offensive infantry position.

I have 20 of them now, looking to get another 20 and make a rabble of 30, 35, or even 40. Two rabbles of 20 just kinda get eaten up and having some bodies to drop before losing rank bonuses is pretty rad too.

Lucky Cynic on
    • Options
      edited February 2011

Maybe it wkill come for me later, Mors :) you'll be the first to know if so

Nax on
    • Options
      edited February 2011

Maybe it wkill come for me later, Mors :) you'll be the first to know if so

Good. Good.

Lucky; Stormvermin are best used in the same way as Clanrats. Expendable and largely just as bodies. With the change to using hw/shield with other weapons, I'm not sure shields are a great option, unless you plan on using them against archers a lot. Having not played much in 8th I can't say for sure, but I think they're probably best at about 35 - 40, going against enemy regular troops. Where clanrats can't really beat many armies' line troops (other than through attrition and combat res), stormvermin in the same amount might actually be able to do so with a few ranks of S4 attacks and higher WS. They still can't take on enemy elites 1:1.

In prior editions I almost always tried to get frenzy on a unit of 30+, then send them around the flank to pop units bogged down with clanrats. I'm not sure that will be as effective in 8th, but I'll certainly try it when I get some games in.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Mago wrote: »

Indeed.

oh, I thought you meant like, really old

Alfred J. Kwak on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Mago wrote: »

Indeed.

oh, I thought you meant like, really old

Why would I mean those? They're terrible. And not in a good way either.

Mr_Rose on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      So what I am thinking is a 7 file by 5 rank rabble of Stormvermin (or maybe two of those) and use them to be my hardened foundation. I don't like clanrats very much- not when Slaves are so fucking rad, but slaves- though (amazingly) reliable, they pretty much paper mache and don't tie up things for more than 2 rounds. Maybe enough to break up a rank or win a combat round or two.

For slaves, I usually outfit them with shields (that parry save has saved my ass and has won me combat before) and musician and pawleader (again, for combat rez). Nothing is more amazing than when slaves make a rabble of Marauders stop dead in their tracks and overrun them. B)

Lucky Cynic on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      The few games I've tried of 8th, stormvermin haven't performed well in a wide formation. I think they almost always need to be deep, like you would clanrats or slaves. They're not hard enough to break a unit based on attacks, unless, perhaps, they're skavenbrewed up or Death Frenzied. 5 file, 7 ranks will be deeper than most enemy non-horde troops, so you're Stubborn and can win the attrition war.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      For one block of clan rats, you can get two slaves bocks. For one block of Stormvermins, you get three and a half block of slaves. Using anything other than slaves as infantry (clan rats work as weapon platforms) actually makes your army weaker, and you can't even fire your flamers into them. Thanks GW.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      For one block of clan rats, you can get two slaves bocks. For one block of Stormvermins, you get three and a half block of slaves. Using anything other than slaves as infantry (clan rats work as weapon platforms) actually makes your army weaker, and you can't even fire your flamers into them. Thanks GW.

While that's probably true, it seems boring and a regular opponent can make an army to counter that kind of gimmick build. Sure, if you're bringing a list to a tournament that'd probably be good, but if you're going to tournaments, you're kind of doing it wrong (in my and GW's opinion, at least).

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      it's horribly boring and part of the reason why I chose against playing Skaven. I'm also fairly sure it's one of the standard ways to play Skaven, because all these units cost as much as dirt and you still have lots of points left for things like Warp Canons, Doom Wheel, Hell Pit Abomination, and more weapon teams and slaves. Somehow the Skaven manage to be generic and uninteresting, at least when you want to play them on a tourney-level.

At least with Daemons you can field pretty much everything (there're a few notable exceptions like the Daemon Prince or Screamers) without feeling like you're dumbing your army down.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Real men win with sub-optimal non-tournament builds.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Depends - I'm aiming for a fairly balanced army myself (most tournament here where I live - Austria, Germany - have tons of restrictions, like only one unit of every type from the rare selection, and some things like the Purple Sun spell or the Standard of Chaos Glory are outright banned). I like the idea that people try to balance what GW can't.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      The real answer is play how you like and to have fun... so it sounds like you're probably doing it right. :D

Personally I can't stand tournaments, and play almost exclusively in my garage with close friends. We generally don't ban stuff, but do play pretty competitively. Generally, once we find something that's too good or very unfun to play, we'll houserule it or just not do it again. Or we get so trashed by the end of the game that the earlier competitiveness just doesn't matter anymore!

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
      edited February 2011
      But the rest of us suffered under either Prussian hegemony or some form of Puritanical Protestantism.

We need rules to tell us what to do!

Peter Ebel on
      Fuck off and die.
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Or, more importantly, what *not* to do.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular
      edited February 2011
      I just got back into Warhammer, and am trying to make an infantry heavy list for VC. Before, I generally relied upon a unit or two of blood knights to do everything I needed, but I don't think that will work anymore. Can somebody check out this list? I still haven't played any games with 8th yet.
      Count Mannfred
      Earthing Rod, Black Periapt, Nightmare

Vampire
      Avatar of Death, Ghoulkin, Sword of Strife, Dragonhelm

Necromancer
      Corpse Cart w/ lodestone, Book of Arkhan

Vampire
      Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, Bloodrinker, Potion of Speed, Luckstone

30 Skeletons
      Spears, full command

20 Ghouls
      Ghast

20 Ghouls
      Ghast

30 Skeletons
      Full command

7 Black Knights
      Full command, Royal Standard of the Strigos

22 Grave Guard
      Full command, Banner of the Barrows

Varghulf

Varghulf

Total:2249

Impyrocker on
      1345301-1.png
      Quasi ignis
      Flamma inferno
      Igne cutis
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      I'm not sure where I saw it but I think Morsk was talking about his Stormvermin and how he made them be Queek's body guards (+4 points per model so 11 points per rat, Weapon skill 5 and Strength 5 attacks with the halberds) along with a chieftain with the BSB and Skavenbrew to make them go batshit. Oh, and a Razor magical standard to give the entire unit AP1.

That's pretty fucking mean.

I ran that by the GW store manager I go to and he found it particularly deadly gave me a cool look as to how much damage that could do.

But he was mentioning going 7x7 which would be a massive unit in size and points total. I am instead thinking 7x5 or 6 which still gives me plenty of rats to die off before losing steadfast/rank bonuses/needing to do panic checks.

Thoughts? I did the math with 49 storm vermin and Queek and the Chieftain. It was just under 1,000 points. That's probably too much for a rabble of very, very mean Stormvermin.

Lucky Cynic on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Oh yes... someday.

I've got dozens of three generations of old metal stormvermin; at some point, I'll paint them up to be Queek's rats. And yeah, that's just about a real elite skaven unit! That statline is much like their 4/5e stats, where I used to wreck the shit out of people with badass, skavenbrew'd, stormvermin.

Keep in mind that skavenbrew now only affects the character with it and the unit - Queek won't get its benefits. Not that he needs them. 49 of those fuckers could be fun to play with, but I'm really wary of hugely expensive deathstar units with all the warmachines and unit-killing spells around. I'd probably field 20 or 30, and only in a large game where I can distract the enemy with lots of other threats.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Well yeah, I am thinking that will be my hardcore foundation. Maybe around 35 (so 7 files, 5 ranks) and throw in blocks of 30 slaves on either side of it to flank/distract, and suddenly I have a mean melee machine.

And to be honest, at times I wish Warhammer did have melee only game types or something because the actual infantry game is what a lot of people fail at. Most people just make 5x4 blocks of troops, send them forth and thats all. Flanking and using cavalry intelligently is what a lot of people don't do and unfortunately, a lot of shooting and magic makes it kinda unnecessary.

Also, since I am painting these guys in the Clan Rictus scheme, I will go ahead and make this block of stormvermin the Deathvermin as per the heraldry book. :3

Lucky Cynic on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Even if that's a lot of eggs in one basket, that's the beauty of the game; you can make that kind of thing work. You'd probably want solid magic defense to stop any unit killing spells, and maybe another unit with the Storm Banner to help with a turn or two of shooting.

Also, another really strong melee unit (or two), like Plague Monk horde with a Furnace, would give you either a distraction, or something to mop up the enemy if they focus too much on Queek's stormvermin.

Morskittar on
      snm_sig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Also, I was thinking of making a unique Warlord for this Clan Rictus army and I was looking at some mean combos.

How does fencer's blades along with gleaming armor sound? Weapon skill 10 and -1 to hit meaning he just is a sneaky son of a bitch to pin down. That and a ward save pendant for a 5+ ward should make him a real piece of work.

Lucky Cynic on
    • Options
      edited February 2011
      Impyrocker wrote: »
      I just got back into Warhammer, and am trying to make an infantry heavy list for VC. Before, I generally relied upon a unit or two of blood knights to do everything I needed, but I don't think that will work anymore. Can somebody check out this list? I still haven't played any games with 8th yet.
      Count Mannfred
      Earthing Rod, Black Periapt, Nightmare

Vampire
      Avatar of Death, Ghoulkin, Sword of Strife, Dragonhelm

Necromancer
      Corpse Cart w/ lodestone, Book of Arkhan

Vampire
      Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, Bloodrinker, Potion of Speed, Luckstone

30 Skeletons
      Spears, full command

20 Ghouls
      Ghast

20 Ghouls
      Ghast

30 Skeletons
      Full command

7 Black Knights
      Full command, Royal Standard of the Strigos

22 Grave Guard
      Full command, Banner of the Barrows

Varghulf

Varghulf

Total:2249

I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell you what I know from other Vampire lists that I came across

most players fill their core with huge blocks of ghuls (I think it's 2*40-50) for the required 25% core selection

not sure if spears will help the skeletons to kill anything

the Black Knight Breaker (25-50 in size) with the Banner of Burrows/Drakenhof Banner and a Vampire with Helm of Commandment is apparently still a favorite

works also with the Wraith Guard

small-sized giant bats/wolves units are important for distraction

the Wight King is apparently quite good for the price

many Vampires use the Black Coach and Banshees, but I don't think they need to be in there

but generally speaking, my only real advice is to make your infantry blocks bigger (8th edition standard is now 40-50, but they can be quite vulnerable to artillery and magic)

Alfred J. Kwak on
    This discussion has been closed.