As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll buy that for a dollar! : Stuff you can buy at PAX East

FrugusFrugus PhotographerMontrealRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Evening ladies and gents!

I remember last year how I was looking around for nifty and unique sales booth, but it was only after I came back and read the blogs that I really saw everything that was to be offered. Too bad because I went straight by a couple of places that would have definitely interested me.

What do you guys remember seeing? Do you happen to know if something new will be available?

I clearly remember the following:
- PA Merch booth in full effect: Pretty much everything there is to find on the PA store with some interesting specials, not to mention the unique PAX East scarf.

- More than just one hobby shop: They mostly looked alike and sold pretty much everything you would expect so I could not say that I found any rarities (thought some did sell Magic the Gathering Cards). However I thought it was cool to have those guys around, after all there was so much gaming, you would thing that people would get interested on the spot for something they just tried. Heck I would not be surprised if they made some decent sales just selling things that people dearly needed but forgot at home.

- Gaming company Merch: A bit like PA but usually a bit more modest, some companies brought along swag and merch to seel. We bought a cool hoodie from Behemoth.

- Gaming company promos: I don't remembe many booths that did this, but some did offer pre-sales that came with exclusive items, etc... I did not find much interest here myself but it's not to say it was outright a bad idea. I'm sure some people where delighted.

One thing I would like to know is if it's possible to buy PC related accessories. Anything along the lines of courier bags, decals and so on? I remember seeing a company that made a special kind of LAN carry bag, but now I wish I paid more attention. I don't remember seeing anyone selling PC stuff, yet to me it sounds like a natural idea.

Frugus Eggbeater
ufCl1ui.png
Frugus on

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not into PC gaming myself so I didn't pay mush attention, but I know Alien Ware and New Egg had booths last year. Surely they had PC equipment/accessories? Also, some places giveaway PC stuff in contests. I believe you could win computer-y stuff from Intel and in the BYOC room. I know at least once in the past Rooster Teeth gave away computer hardware during their panel too.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    last year there was a tent/stand setup inside BYOC selling laptop locks and such, they were also offering a service to blowout/clean computers.

i don't remember someone selling bags.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm starting to regret not picking up a custom Decal with the computer I bought and I figured I might wait until PAX before I shop around for something to fix that.

I remember the Alienware booth but I also don't remember them selling anything, aside from letting you foold around with their expensive hardware. Which is good really, because I never got to see one in person before PAX.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last year they had some good swag, I picked up two hoodies (The Behemoth and a Penny Arcade one), along with a PAX 2010 shirt, Rooster Teeth DVD, and some other little things here and there.

This year I SHOULD have more spending money, so I'm hoping to get a few more things than last year.

TheAggroCraig on
  • daegandaegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I, personally, am looking forward to picking up Mega64 stuff without having to pay shipping per-item :/

daegan on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BOARD GAMES. Holy moley, I think every board game retailer in the North East was there selling every single board game you could imagine. If you're looking for something new or interesting or niche, this is as good a place as any. Well, any except for the internet. But here, you can probably find someone to try the game with before you buy it!

I made the mistake last year of not leaving space in my suitcase for boardgames, so I couldn't buy any. Won't be making that mistake again!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There was an amazing dice stand, I think it was run by Chessex. Really great deals on dice, better than you'll ever see online. Plus some gorgeous silk-lined dice bags :D

MelesMeles on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Very important to check out all areas of the convention to see everything that's for sale. Having said that, if you're looking for a particular item, check the area of the convention where those items are set up.
    EX: Magic cards will be near the MTG area. Board games will be near the open gaming area. PC equipment should be in the PC lounge, I assume.

The exhibit hall didn't have a lot for sale. There were a couple of video game dealers, along with a few equipment companies (someone was selling headphones in the back, for example) but most of the exhibits were there to either give out info or to allow you to demo a game or equipment.

As far as finding the rare stuff, the rule of first come first served is in full effect. EX: for you board game fans, you could've bought Zombie Dice and Cthullu dice, months before their official release, if you knew where to find them at the con (no, they were not for sale at the SJ booth). They didn't last past Friday, from what I heard.
    Personally, I would love to see a company selling refurbished, out of print games, although the problem with this is there's no way to preview the games. They also don't come cheap, but if I see a second edition Talisman (complete set with all the expansions), I'm grabbing it, although will definitely cost me some serious cash. I'd also be tempted by an original Dark Tower in working condition.

I'd spend the first two hours on Friday taking a basic inventory of the booths with stuff for sale, if for no other reason than to see if they have rare items for sale. It'll also give you a good look at what the con has to offer in terms of events and activities.

As for who showed up last year, that was an excellent look at the local companies in the area. The local game stores and companies all showed up, which I think is a wonderfull idea. I hope they decide to do so again.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    undead wrote: »
    [...] you could've bought Zombie Dice and Cthullu dice, months before their official release, if you knew where to find them at the con (no, they were not for sale at the SJ booth). They didn't last past Friday, from what I heard.

D8

One of my fondest memories of PAX East 2010 was playing that game when the folks from SJ demoed it. That would have been a wonderful thing to bring back. Well at least I found it a few months later after it was released :)
    I'm a morning guy, the girlfriend is not. On Saturday morning I decided to leave extra early (I was just pacing in the hotel room anyway) and checked out the con. I walked right passed these guys in sokme booth who kind of grabbed me asking for an extra player. It took a minute before I realized I was playing with the staff from the company that makes some of my favorite games. And that the game was something that was yet to be released.

I calmly said nothing, but it was just a really cool moment for me. A bit later one I came back to the room and did as nothing happened, though I was beaming through most of the day just because of that.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Twisted Pixel (Maw, Comic Jumper, 'Splosion Man) and Behemoth (Castle Crashers) both had merch.
    There was a dealer selling classic games in the expo hall. Most of the tabletop & card game folks in the main hall were selling stuff.

macrogeek on
  • njbrodeu87njbrodeu87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey everyone,

does anyone know if they sell astro a40 headsets at pax? im looking to buy them at pax

thanks

njbrodeu87 on
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    njbrodeu87 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

does anyone know if they sell astro a40 headsets at pax? im looking to buy them at pax

thanks

Astro had a HUGE booth set up at Prime, but because the Headsets were the "exclusive" Pax merch, they were being sold at at PA merch stand. Don't know how it will work at east.

A taste of some of the stuff I nabbed at Prime:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/killermcdead/5012505785/

KillerMcDead on
  • bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do the retailers have card swipes, or is cash the best to have?

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some take credit and everybody prefers to take cash. There are generally ATMs around that you can get cash from if you need, be prepared to pay an ATM fee though. Last year Sony was the only one I ran into that was cash only.

ravemonger on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    My suggestion would be to have cash on hand, but only use it when you need to. If they take the card, then use it. That way, if the ATMs run out of cash (it's happened before) you'll theoretically still have some.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    njbrodeu87 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

thanks

Astro had a HUGE booth set up at Prime, but because the Headsets were the "exclusive" Pax merch, they were being sold at at PA merch stand. Don't know how it will work at east.

A taste of some of the stuff I nabbed at Prime:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/killermcdead/5012505785/

I am glad to hear that astro was at Prime..But last year at East astro was nowhere to be seen except in the PC freeplay room where they were used. Triton was there in full force last year and now that everyone has realized how big East really is I'm sure we will see astro there.

P.S. I bought the new wireless set of a30s and they are great!

yanksrul5 on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ravemonger wrote: »
    Some take credit and everybody prefers to take cash. There are generally ATMs around that you can get cash from if you need, be prepared to pay an ATM fee though. Last year Sony was the only one I ran into that was cash only.

Do NOT plan on the ATMs near the centre having money. At prime, I remember ATMs being dead in a large radius. Grab cash before your fly, or at the airport.

MelesMeles on
    edited February 2011
    Agreed. Grab cash from another location and bring it with you if you plan on carrying cash. The ATMs are not serviced on the weekends from what I can tell I would expect them to be empty by the end of Friday night.

For those of you wishing to get a sneak peek at some of the games, may I suggest keeping an eye open on Thursday night.
    For the GMs/demo team reps of the companies, some of them have a get-together the night before so the company rep can teach the GMs how to play the new games. That's where I learned how to play Zombie Dice, Cthullu Dice, and Nanuk.
    If, however, you are walking by and notice this happening, you may be able to hop into the game (at the company rep's discretion). That night, it was myself, two other GMs, the company rep, and four complete strangers who happened to notice us and asked to join in.

You also might pick up some news on products in the works or catch info on deals in the convention (like which booth you could've bought those games in).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    There was an amazing dice stand, I think it was run by Chessex. Really great deals on dice, better than you'll ever see online. Plus some gorgeous silk-lined dice bags :D

I bought my first set of dice from that booth. I even have a picture of it on my dsi. My d20 rolls twenties for me like no other. Since then I decided I can only buy sets of dice at PAX to keep them pure. It didn't hurt my wallet, either.

RainbowTunnel on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There were also some great dice accessories. I picked up a lovely pair of d20 earrings.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So are things generally the same price at the con vs. ordering online or buying in store? Obviously no shipping, but is there any discount? Like the PA table especially is what I'm curious about. Although picking up some dice directly from Chessex sounds pretty nice too.

UEAKCrash on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    So are things generally the same price at the con vs. ordering online or buying in store? Obviously no shipping, but is there any discount? Like the PA table especially is what I'm curious about. Although picking up some dice directly from Chessex sounds pretty nice too.

The PA merch booth generally has bundle deals (these 3 items cost less together than they would individually), but I think the prices are the same otherwise. No idea about any of the other booths. Oh, I don't think you have to pay added sales tax in the convention center.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    I would expect you would. I know at other conventions the dealers from out-of-state have to buy special permits, agreeing to pay the state sales tax before they leave. Most dealers mask this buy posting whole dollar amounts on their items but if this proves to be the case then you're paying it, and the current rate is 6.25%

Ah, to have my old D6's again. Used them whenever I played Axis & Allies and had to roll for infantry as they always came up ones.
    Chessex is the grandfather of dice companies, although Dice Tower is catching on, and they've been known to host an A & A tournament from time to time.

Question for the card collectors:

I didn't visit the MTG area last year so I don't know, but was there a dealer selling card protector sleeves without backings (like normal sports card sleeves)? I didn't notice any in the board game area but I figure there may have been some in the MTG area.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • FoamBrainFoamBrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I bought my first set of dice from that booth. I even have a picture of it on my dsi. My d20 rolls twenties for me like no other. Since then I decided I can only buy sets of dice at PAX to keep them pure. It didn't hurt my wallet, either.

I think that might have been us, if it was in the expo hall :-D

Sadly we're not Chessex, tho we try to be almost as cool. We're bringing about 3 times as many dice this year as we brought last year, tho... :-D

Andrew
    Foam Brain Games

FoamBrain on
    edited February 2011
    There were also some great dice accessories. I picked up a lovely pair of d20 earrings.

I'm glad people are enjoying our dice jewelry :)

FoamBrain on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FoamBrain wrote: »

I think that might have been us, if it was in the expo hall :-D

Sadly we're not Chessex, tho we try to be almost as cool. We're bringing about 3 times as many dice this year as we brought last year, tho... :-D

Andrew
    Foam Brain Games

It totally was you guys! I have that free d6 you gave me! That was one of the best moments at PAX East. It's my primary d6 for D&D, and I still visit your website if I roll a one (with the little brain on it). Oh man I'm so excited - I'm buying my next set of dice from you, too.

FoamBrain wrote: »

I'm glad people are enjoying our dice jewelry :)

Please sell them this year. I'll exchange money for your dice goodness.

RainbowTunnel on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    last year i didnt get to PAXeast until sunday, so all the good stuff was sold out. i was so bummed when i couldnt get a scarf. i've already discussed with my wife that the first day we're there is gonna be "buy all the stuff" day.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • King of KickassKing of Kickass Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only thing I wanted last year was that sweet sassy molassy scarf. Don't be fooled, im getting one this year.

Stop #1: Keynote, PA Panel
    Stop #2: Merch Booth

...and it better be cold, so that i can actually use it, and not look european.

King of Kickass on
  • ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    last year i didnt get to PAXeast until sunday, so all the good stuff was sold out. i was so bummed when i couldnt get a scarf. i've already discussed with my wife that the first day we're there is gonna be "buy all the stuff" day.

Oh man, those scarves went quick. I think they were sold out early Friday evening. I managed to get ahold of one that was slightly damaged, can't tell unless you look at it close so good enough for me.

ravemonger on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, the scarves are there every year? I am going to have to get one. Are they labeled from what year they are or do they just say PAX East?

Are there any other PAX East items available? I really want to get PA The Series and have some signatures on it. I am sad that I didn't order the DVD earlier when everyone signed them.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the retro game dealers were amazing, though some games seemed a tad overpriced (mario kart for SNES for like $40, granted in box but whaaaat)
    i snagged a practically new copy of jet set radio for dreamcast for $12 and a copy of glover for N64 for like $5
    that is the booth i'm hitting up first this year :D

Local H Jay on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, the scarves are there every year? I am going to have to get one. Are they labeled from what year they are or do they just say PAX East?

Are there any other PAX East items available? I really want to get PA The Series and have some signatures on it. I am sad that I didn't order the DVD earlier when everyone signed them.

Well considering there's only been one PAX East so far I don't think we know whether or not they are there every year ;)

It would be awesome if they had scarves again this year though

zerzhul on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking personally I'll be looking to buy a DVD for PAX Prime 2010 (assuming they have made one) and expansions for Arkham Horror board game. I will also buy some more dice, although the last time I looked at buying some, none of the appealed to me. They must have all been cursed!

There is something else people may want to pick up if the wander past the BYOC desk. It's this.

I wonder if I'll get banned for hawking something on the forums that is in fact free? *Waits in anticipation*

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited February 2011

It totally was you guys! I have that free d6 you gave me! That was one of the best moments at PAX East. It's my primary d6 for D&D, and I still visit your website if I roll a one (with the little brain on it). Oh man I'm so excited - I'm buying my next set of dice from you, too.

We even have a brand new color of our dice to give away this year, with our new logo :)

FoamBrain on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It would be awesome if they had scarves again this year though

I hope they do, but in a different color scheme or design from last year!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • orssonorsson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z-Man Games and Steve Jackson Games both had booths last year. Both ran demos, which was great, and I know that Z-Man had some of their games on sale (for a discount!).

The two companies have produced some of the most popular and critically acclaimed board games in recent years, so it's definitely worth stopping by to take a look!

orsson on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am scared of all the shit I could wind up buying. I am planning to maybe bring a little suitcase and a backpack. Think that would be enough? I am gonna try to pack light. I think after the scarf and DVD, there isn't much I really plan on buying, but that will surely change when I get there.

I just bought Zombie Dice on Amazon, so once I get hooked on that, I am sure I will look for more non-console games when I am there.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i bought zombie dice a few months back. its a simple game but it NEVER gets old. i love it.

im hoping they have a scarf every year. im fairly sure last years had the year on it. [EDIT: ok after seeing some pics , maybe it didnt. :( ]

last year i bought Frag after someone taught us how to play, and this year im hoping to learn how to play Munchkin Quest. i already own it but have no idea how to play it and no patients to figure it out on my own.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really really want a set of Zombie dice.

UEAKCrash on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wanted to wait until PAXE to get my Zombie Dice, but I gave in a week ago, oops. This year I'm hoping to buy a bunch of board games and dice (which I'm still pretty new to, I mainly play video games) and PA stuff.

Last year I got a bunch of stuff from Twisted Pixel. I probably spent $200 there between the statues, shirts and plushies. I want a Comic Jumper statue this year, they only had one last year that they were giving away, none to buy.

I really wanted the Behemoth's PAXE shirt, but completely forgot about it until it was too late, oops. This year I'll buy everything I want the first day to not miss out.

MTSonic11 on