As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wrist pain after waking up

Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently I have been waking up and my wrist hurts pretty bad when I bend i move it around. I have been trying to fall asleep with it straight and not bent in any odd way. I don't think I sleep on it weird but perhaps I just haven't noticed.

I also do use my computer a lot, so maybe it's carpal tunnel related? I am not sure. I would go in to the doctors but my health insurance ran out recently and I won't be able to get it back for 4 months.

XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
Glirk Dient on

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are there any free walk-in clinics near you that you can visit?

Other than that, about the only thing I could think of suggesting is that you pick up a high protection wrist brace(s) and wear that when you go to bed/use the computer. Either check out any nearby sporting goods shops to see what they have available or look on-line for something like this.

Also, look into getting your computer set up ergonomically.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was having wrist pains when I started playing Guitar Hero (I also work all day on computers).

I fixed it very simply, by buying an ergonomic keyboard (a keyboard with a split down the middle, that's angled upwards slightly). Worked like a charm.

Thanatos on
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks..I will check both of those out.

I already have an ergonomic keyboard but it's my mouse wrist that hurts. Perhaps that is where the problem lies.

Glirk Dient on
  • JinkaJinka Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As someone who has actually been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome, your symptoms do sound a lot like what I had. Do you notice the pain throughout the day, or just when you wake up?

A wrist brace would not be a bad idea, and you can usually pick them up for about $15 at your local drugstore. My doctor would have me sleep with it on to further reduce the movement of the wrist, so you might want to think about that as well.

Another way to help with the pain, especially if you're not able to get to a doctor is to do stretches such as this a couple times a day to stretch your wrist out and reduce the pain over time.

Jinka on
    camo_sig.png
  • ChibaChiba Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How old are you?

Chiba on
    edited February 2011
    The pain is still there throughout the day, but is a lot less severe. I think I will try the wrist brace at night to help.

Also I am 24.

Glirk Dient on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you have a job? Do you use an ergonomic keyboard at work, too?

Thanatos on
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And I'll ask this:

Have you noticed any unusual lumps in your wrist? Is it local to the wrist or do you feel it through your full hand and fingers?

(The reason I ask those is I had a huge ganglion cyst in my wrist that I had surgery to remove, and after rehab ect, I feel so much better!)

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
    edited February 2011
    Unemployed and there are no lumps. It does feel like it goes down the tendon or a muscle of my forearm but is more localized to my wrist. It seems that bending the wrist or even my thumb in certain directions makes the pain worse.

Glirk Dient on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you have any anti-inflammatories you can take? I have tendonitis and that fixes up that exact feeling within about 10 minutes when I have an attack.

Otherwise it'd be a real good idea to just stop using that arm as much as possible for the next couple of days.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Do you have any anti-inflammatories you can take? I have tendonitis and that fixes up that exact feeling within about 10 minutes when I have an attack.

Otherwise it'd be a real good idea to just stop using that arm as much as possible for the next couple of days.

...but it's my happy time arm :cry:

I will be giving it a break tomorrow as I won't be at my place for the majority of the day. So after that I will try to lessen the use of it the days after that as well to see if things improve. Thanks for the advice so far, looks like I have a good number of options.

Glirk Dient on
  • billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it's your happy time arm then I'm sure you're used to browsing the internet with your other hand. I'd say try doing that for a few days and see if the pain subsides.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get yourself checked out - I've had carpal tunnel surgery twice now on my right hand, and typing aggravates the symptoms. I use voice activated software (dragon) now if I have to produce a report, as my hand will still go numb.
    You could also try sleeping with that arm/hand at shoulder level, it might feel weird at first, but you get used to it.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I get similar pains on occasion, always manifesting upon waking and staying throughout the day, but it's tendonitis and not carpal tunnel. If it only hurts when you flex the relevant muscles, it's probably tendonitis. If movement causes pain, even if the muscles are limp (i.e. your other hand/another person/etc. is moving it), then there's a good chance it's CTS.

Tendonitis will stop being a problem after a few instances of it, if you allow time for it to heal up between activity, but CTS can be serious shit if left untreated. See a doctor if it doesn't improve after a couple days of being careful with it and/or wearing a brace.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Going to second the suggestion to sleep with a brace on. If you're still waking up with it hurting at least you can safely rule out "nighttime shennanigans" as a cause. They're cheap and available at pharmacies, I think.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    along with the wrist pain, do you have any numbness/tingling/pins and needles? if so are they i the index and middle fingers, or in the ring/pinky? If its in the ring/pinky it can be a sign of cubutal tunnel, where the nerver in the elbow gets pinched, similar to carpal tunnel, but a different nerve.
    I had cubital tunnel last year, and a brace helped in the beginning, but, if you don't find out/change the behavior thats causing the issue, (sleeping with arm bent, bad posture at computer, etc) the symptoms won't go away.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • blackhearted1852blackhearted1852 Registered User new member
    I've been having problems during sleep where I'm pressing my one hand on the elbow. I'm a side sleeper so I don't understand why I'm pressing so hard with my other arm contorting the wrist and making it sore. It's like I dunno. so much pressure and my wrist is sore all day. I've been trying to change positions, but now I'm doing it to the other hand when i lay on the other side. It's the weirdest thing. It's like my one arm is pushing against my arm during the night. I've also had problems with my jaw. For some reason I half crick my mouth and put pressure on my eye tooth to keep my mouth open during sleep. I think that's a breathing thing. and I should probably get a mouth guard. As far as the wrist thing, tho. I have no clue why I'm using so much pressure during sleep. I'm a gamer, but I've not been gaming as much these last weeks. So I'm not sure if it's that. Anyone having this? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.