As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So an old email of mine got 'stolen'

L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duckMinnesotaRegistered User regular
edited August 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
I guess 'stolen' in that someone guessed the very weak password on it. I'm not concerned with that, since they (stupidly?) never changed anything, nor sent any emails or anything. I already changed it to something a lot more secure, so I doubt I'll be seeing or hearing anything about it again.

The thing that bothers me is that they used it to make some purchases. Not with any of my CCs or anything, but I have some receipt type emails from an online store. I'm pretty obsessive with checking my purchases and the like, and nothing like it ever showed up on any of my stuff.

That's the thing that bothers me with this. This person, who is quite easy to find on the internet, is using a compromised account to send 'themselves' goodies.

I can only figure out one reason why someone would use a compromised account to send stuff to themselves.

The things were purchased last month, and it's been a good six since last I logged in, so they were already purchased, sent and received, so there's nothing I can do about it. However, it's settling as to why someone who can easily create their own free email account on any other number of places used one of mine to make a purchase.

So I guess my question is, what do I do about it?

L Ron Howard on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    were the purchases illegal in any way?

do you have any proof that someone didn't just use your email by accident (like sending it to mike_ock23@google instead of mike_ock32@google) to buy something without hacking it instead?

do you have the person's address from these receipts and were they from the same place?

was there any email in there that you wouldn't want shared with the world for some reason?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, are you sure that they compromised actually compromised your account?

Doc on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, two of the purchases were within a week. I'd imagine if they'd screwed up the email addy, they wouldn't have done it twice in a week.
    It was done without registering the email address and creating an account. It wasn't gifted to the email on accident. It was just a fly-by purchase using my email addy.
    I have the address to where they were sent. The place where they were sent is different from where the person resides. The person seems to have a unique name, meaning Google, at least, cannot find more than one person with that name living in two different places. The person's permanent address is in one state, and it was sent to the same person in a different state, where there doesn't seem to be any public records of that person living in the other state.
    I don't want to go digging too hard if there's no need to.
    They didn't really compromise the account, because the PW was never changed, and no emails were sent. And, again, they didn't use any of my CCs. I could probably plug the order info into the website, or give them a call to get the information. I'm just not sure I want to go that far yet. I just suspect that it's all done all shady-like.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    So all that really happened was that they used your email address for a couple of online purchases? They never, as far as you know, actually had access to your email account?

I can plug in anybody's email address when I make an order online. If anything, it compromises my order, not their email account.

Unless you have reason to suspect they logged in (were the messages marked as read when you finally logged in and saw them for the first time?), just ignore it.

Doc on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They probably won't real purchases. Were there links ? Did you click the links to verify you didn't order anything?

They were probably phishing for passwords using legit looking but fake Amazon (etc) sites. If you clicked any links and entered any passwords at that point I would start changing passwords left and right.

useless4 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    useless4 wrote: »
    They were probably phishing for passwords using legit looking but fake Amazon (etc) sites. If you clicked any links and entered any passwords at that point I would start changing passwords left and right.

Very likely. I've had "Amazon" emails with "orders" for a thousand dollars. That actually caused me a few minutes of panic since I had just ordered real stuff from Amazon and thus thought someone had snagged my credentials when I ordered, but some closer scrutiny quickly revealed it as phishing attempts.

Echo on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, that's really clever.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its probably a person accidentally using your email address.

Some guy in Texas keeps accidentally using mine... and he's a staunch Republican donor, supporter who attends country music concerts.... so its typically easy to tell when an email is meant for him.

illig on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My fiance Pixels has a [commonfirstname][commonlastname]@gmail.com address, and he gets an unbelievable amount of shit intended for other people. Amazon orders, Expedia travel itineraries, confidential financial documents, you name it. Whenever possible, he emails the sender saying "Uh, hey, this email address doesn't belong to the guy you think it does, please stop sending me payroll information," but with automated stuff like order confirmations, there's really nothing he can do.

You've already changed your password, you didn't find any changes, and it's probably just some dyslexic dude switching letters around on order forms. If you have a way to contact the guy (like a phone number included in the order info), you could try letting him know that you're getting his emails. If not, though, just ignore them and don't worry about it.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know the purchases were legit because I can take the tracking info and plug it into the shipping company's website (FedEx or UPS or whatever) and get real things.
    The person signed (me?) up for the newsletter for the online store, as well as other things like Adult Friend Finder and other such kinds of sites. :S
    How many times could you misspell your own email address? And why would you suddenly start doing it on the 3rd of December, each time?

I guess I'll just ignore it until other things start happening again.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My fiance Pixels has a [commonfirstname][commonlastname]@gmail.com address, and he gets an unbelievable amount of shit intended for other people. Amazon orders, Expedia travel itineraries, confidential financial documents, you name it. Whenever possible, he emails the sender saying "Uh, hey, this email address doesn't belong to the guy you think it does, please stop sending me payroll information," but with automated stuff like order confirmations, there's really nothing he can do.

You've already changed your password, you didn't find any changes, and it's probably just some dyslexic dude switching letters around on order forms. If you have a way to contact the guy (like a phone number included in the order info), you could try letting him know that you're getting his emails. If not, though, just ignore them and don't worry about it.

This happens to me all the time. I have received quite a lot of sensitive info.

No, I don't need to see your cell phone call history each month.

No, I probably shouldn't have access to your B2B backend account for corporate purchases.

No, I will not be able to pick up the kids on Saturday.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How many times could you misspell your own email address? And why would you suddenly start doing it on the 3rd of December, each time?
    Maybe it happened once and it saved to his browser?
    Could you suggest a more appropriate date to start misspelling your e-mail address? Maybe they recently created a very similar account.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know the purchases were legit because I can take the tracking info and plug it into the shipping company's website (FedEx or UPS or whatever) and get real things.
    The person signed (me?) up for the newsletter for the online store, as well as other things like Adult Friend Finder and other such kinds of sites. :S

I guess I'll just ignore it until other things start happening again.

Some people are just dumb. There's a woman I don't know who is convinced my gmail address belongs to her brother and nothing I tell her can convince her otherwise. She would email me and chat me up on gmail constantly until I blocker her. Now I get emails from the rest of her family because shared my address with all of them.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for allaying my fears, everyone.
    I guess with all the reports of people having their X stolen, I just jumped to that conclusion. I just figured that it wouldn't be that hard to know which email address is yours.
    I've never had it happen where people have sent me thing intended for another person like that. Well, outside of the obvious spam things.
    Thanks again, everyone.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If this is a Gmail account, log in and on the bottom of the page where it says "Last account activity..." click 'Details'. If someone has actually been logging into your account you'll be able to see different IP's in there.

exis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Turns out I saved a screenshot of that phishing mail. You can see why this was a HOLY SHITFUCK moments having ordered from Amazon a few days before I got this.

amazpam.png

Echo on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    everything about that email makes it obvious it's fake

$600 for a paperback? and the totals don't even add up?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

Form email. The actual product link, which was a real thing, was some signed limited edition hardcover fancy thingamabob.

And Amazon spouts complete bullshit about what is actually a paperback most of the time.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's awful.
    The smart thing to do is to take the order number and plug it back into Amazon, to see what it says.
    I mean, I did that with the shipping numbers to verify that the orders made to my account were legit. I also checked the headers and all that jazz. I didn't check the order numbers though.

Just a question though, how did you know it was a phishing email? If you clicked on the order number did it take you to an Amazon-looking site?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The smart thing to do is to take the order number and plug it back into Amazon, to see what it says.
    Yes, very yes.

If you doubt the veracity of an email: Never click the links

Always go to the site manually and verify it that way.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Form email. The actual product link, which was a real thing, was some signed limited edition hardcover fancy thingamabob.

And Amazon spouts complete bullshit about what is actually a paperback most of the time.

Doesn't change the fact that the total doesn't make any sense at all.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Split order.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »

Split order.

"order will arrive in 1 shipment"
    and neither the subtotal or total make sense even with a split order

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The first book is currently $11.09.
    The second is $10.88, total $21.97.

The fonts are all wrong too; it's obvious someone removed the fields and pasted new text in.

MichaelLC on