As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help finding this laptop in Canada

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I want this:

Acer Aspire AS5552G-7632

But i cant seem to actually find any online retailer that carries it in Canada, only retailers that carry it in the US. This is frustrating me exceptionally. I can find the step down of this laptop model in Canada, but that isnt the one i want.

So, here i am asking for help ! Maybe someone here can help me find it?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Nobody? :(

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like Amazon is your only bet

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AS5552G-7632-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B004G60ARC

Laptop developers often develop nearly exact same laptops under different names for different suppliers (Futureshop has this problem with competing suppliers) so you might try that road.

Topia on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't find that model on the Acer site, either link the page you found it on or post it's detail specs for us to find you an equivalent.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Other problem is Canada vs US has different rules for simple things like packaging (french) and other approvals (shielding, inspections, etc) on electronics. You just might not be allowed to buy it here. Unless Acer has spent the time an money to get it approved for sale in the Canada, it might not be allowed.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Other problem is Canada vs US has different rules for simple things like packaging (french) and other approvals (shielding, inspections, etc) on electronics. You just might not be allowed to buy it here. Unless Acer has spent the time an money to get it approved for sale in the Canada, it might not be allowed.

Additionally, the Canadian version may very well have exactly the same specs, but a different model number suffix.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    SkeezicksSkeezicks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NCIX.com has the AS5552G-7660. It's virtually identical.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58428&vpn=LX.RC602.033&manufacture=Acer

Edit: for redundancy.

Skeezicks on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Skeezicks wrote: »
    NCIX.com has the AS5552G-7660. It's virtually identical.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58428&vpn=LX.RC602.033&manufacture=Acer

Edit: for redundancy.

See i was wondering about this too, if the laptop may exsist but under a different suffix here in Canadia.

The problem with this model is it carries the 6470 video card, and the other carries the 6650. I wanted a bt more video power.

Elimination on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Try contacting a university computer store and asking if they can order it for you - when I was looking for a laptop for university I went through the Acer website, found the model I wanted, and contacted the UWO computer store. They can quite often get you the academic price and even models that aren't typically carried by Canadian retailers. If you live near London and can't find a store that will bring it in for you send me a PM and I'll see what I can arrange with the UWO computer store for you.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wezoin wrote: »
    Try contacting a university computer store and asking if they can order it for you - when I was looking for a laptop for university I went through the Acer website, found the model I wanted, and contacted the UWO computer store. They can quite often get you the academic price and even models that aren't typically carried by Canadian retailers. If you live near London and can't find a store that will bring it in for you send me a PM and I'll see what I can arrange with the UWO computer store for you.

never thought of that. Im not a student though (yet) and i live in Victoria, BC. So maybe i can check out a student store at Uvic? Does it require i have a student ID?

Elimination on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

never thought of that. Im not a student though (yet) and i live in Victoria, BC. So maybe i can check out a student store at Uvic? Does it require i have a student ID?

For discount's yes (ie apple's student discount), but they sell to everyone.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Is the store located on the campus usually? I've never shopped at one of these places before.

Elimination on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Is the store located on the campus usually? I've never shopped at one of these places before.

Usually there is a physical store on campus, sometimes inside the bookstore. Looks like at UVic it might be inside the bookstore but I can't be sure. At the very least it's associated with the bookstore. There is an inquiry page here that can give you more information. Ask about the specific model there rather than going in as they may need time to look it up that they are unlikely to be able to dedicate to your question at the exact moment you walk into the store.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Usually there is a physical store on campus, sometimes inside the bookstore. Looks like at UVic it might be inside the bookstore but I can't be sure. At the very least it's associated with the bookstore. There is an inquiry page here that can give you more information. Ask about the specific model there rather than going in as they may need time to look it up that they are unlikely to be able to dedicate to your question at the exact moment you walk into the store.

Thank you ! Just the kind of thing i was looking for.

Elimination on