As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Deadlands] The Weird West (OOC)

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alright then, looks like we've got everyone but samurai6966, but he's not been talking much, may have dropped out. I figure we'll give him a day or so, and then we can begin!

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    edited February 2011
    Alright, No word from samurai6966, and since he only made one post, I'm gonna go with the 5 we have. I'll start up the IC thread in a bit, this'll be the OOC.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Also, Zahn, I just realized that John Harrison has no background, would you mind thinking up a short one?

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Kk, thread is up! Let the games begin!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=136530

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah, hell, I've tried to find a good Deadlands game for ages (IRL and online both) and now one crops up and I miss it. D:

I don't suppose there's any chance you're still accepting sign-ups? (Even if you are, I've never played in a Penny Arcade PbP before so I understand if you don't want me)

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    Sure, why not? Heh, I warn you, it's my first time DMing a PbP, so it may not be a GOOD Deadlands game :-D Just make up your char quick, the game's started, but not much has happened.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is the plan for dice rolling? I'm partial to invisible castle, mostly because I can get to it while I'm at work. For Savage Worlds, I believe the dice code would be "1d8.open(8);1d6.open(6)" for a d8 roll with a d6 wild die.

Test Savage Worlds roll. (1d8.open(8)=6, 1d6.open(6)=9)

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Sure, that works, also I realized that I forgot to assign Fate Chips to ya'll! I'll do that now, and see how well that roller system I had planned works.

Matev - Brett Rivers - 2 Blue 1 White

Radical Ans - Edmond 'Finn' Finnegan - 1 Blue 2 White

Erich Zahn - Jacob Harrison - 2 White 1 Blue 1 Red

Celebrim - Bertram Smythe - 2 White 1 Red

OptimusZed - Plays With Fire - 2 White 1 Red

Popesnax - 3 White

Not sure the best way to keep track of these...Maybe on the front page on the character list?

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Probably a good idea. 2 Blue!? Wow, I got lucky!

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is White good?

It's bad, isn't it?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2011
    White isn't bad, they just do less for you. They act like common bennies in SW. I don't have my DL books on me atm or I'd post a rundown on what the different fate chips do for you.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    White Fate Chips are the most common sort and act just like regular bennies. So, if you spend one, you get to reroll a trait roll and keep the best result. All the usual Savage Worlds rules on bennies apply to white Fate Chips.

A red chip allows you to roll a d6 and add it to your current total (this die can Ace as usual). This negates a critical failure from rolling a 1 on your skill die, should that be an issue. Or you can choose to use a red chip as a white chip.The bad news is that the Marshal gets a free draw from the Fate Pot for his critters and cowpokes every time you use a red chip. The Marshal does not get a draw if you use a red chip as a white (to reroll, soak a wound, or eliminate a Shaken condition).

Blue chips work just exactly the same as red chips except for one difference. Using a blue chip doesn’t give the bad guys a chip (the Marshal doesn’t get a draw), no matter what you use it for.

There’s one more type of chip your posse might see after it becomes a little better acquainted with the Weird West’s dark underbelly. These suckers aren’t put in the pot when you start the game. They’re added when your group beats a really nasty critter of the Weird West and lives to tell about it. The Marshal has the complete info on when to add these to your pot. Legend chips are one-use affairs—spend ’em and
    they’re gone—and can be used in one of two ways :

1) They can be used like a blue fate chip, and add +2 to the final total.
    2) They can be used to reroll ANY roll—damage rolls, rolls on a table, a malfunction check, and so on.
    A player can trade in an unplayed Legend chip at the end of a session, the for an automatic Experience Point. Don’t bother rolling the bones.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I changed my habit to cocaine from opium. I'm thinking hyperactivity would be preferable to lethargy.

Also, my character would have grown a beard to be less recognizable from any wanted posters if they exist. I'm new to drawbacks so I'm leaving it open for Dragon's interpretation.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    NP, both were rather popular in the 1870s.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Oh, and by the way, any issues, questions, suggestions, comments or anything at all, don't hesitate, I'm just tryin to make this as fun as I can, any help or advice would be welcome!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Celebrim: For skill and trait rolls you take whichever die is highest. Your d6 rolled a 5, so the result of your Notice check is 5.

You only need to beat a target number of 4, so that is a success.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    If you rolled a 6, then you would roll that one again though. Whenever you roll the max number, you roll that dice again. So if you had 3d6, say, and rolled a 3, 2 and 6, you would roll the six again (say you got a 4) and add it, so your total would be 10.

BTW, My time zones are a bit weird, so posting may be a bit strange. I'll do my best to keep up with it as fast as I can though! For now, sleep. And I'd suggest not telling the deputy you through she was a guy! :-D

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Here's my character, if its not to late: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=273859

I rolled a Priest, to round out the party's archetype. I'm correct in understanding that in this version of Deadlands Blessed have access to all miracles from the get-go, essentially, right? (Most of my experience is with DL classic)
    Elias Quinn was foreordained to join the Clergy more or less from his birth to a family of Irish immigrants in New York. After taking Holy Orders in 1855, Quinn spent the next several years working as a Missionary in China, where he sought to minister to the country's Christian Taiping revolutionaries. There Elias witnessed the horrific atrocities of the Taiping Rebellion, during the course of which he also came to understand that the Taipings' religion was a preposterous mockery of his own faith. He left China in 1860, having lost both his illusions and his left arm in the chaos of the war.

After returning to the United States, Elias spent several years in a comfortable seminary in the Northeast, but his experiences in China left him uneasy with that simple life. The calamities of the latter '60s and rumors of the weird happenings out west ultimately prompted Father Quinn to board a Westward train, to bring the Light of God wherever God chose to put him.

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    Yep yep, don't have to chose or use power points, just gotta pray real hard :) I figure you'll just be walkin along with em, no need to show you joining or anything like that? You were always on the train, and anyone who says different is a filthy liar!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Unless one of the other players has a problem with it, then Elias has been quietly tagging along, yes.

He's a relatively unobtrusive person as long as nobody's committing blasphemies or performing abominations, so I guess it makes sense.

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    Popesnax wrote: »
    Unless one of the other players has a problem with it, then Elias has been quietly tagging along, yes.

He's a relatively unobtrusive person as long as nobody's committing blasphemies or performing abominations, so I guess it makes sense.

Oh, this'll be fun times, you and I'll have padre...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Doh! I just realized I never retrieved my horse when we got off the train. Can I assume it was taken off the train and brought to the local stables.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    No, the horse is now on it's way back. Mmm...horse chops.

Heh, yah, sure, it's in the stables, deduct...hmm, stable cost not listed...lets say $1 a day, and that includes feeding and bedding.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Noted. Thanks Marshall!

Radical Ans on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought of that.

And sad to see that I'm so incredibly Sloooooow.

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    It did occur to me breifly just before my first post, but I figured since Finn's a curious fellow he'd want to see what the hubbub with the poster was first

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    I don't have to worry about such silliness yet. Though I'm thinking I'll have to raise money for a horse soon enough *le sigh.*

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    I definitely want to have Finn look around at that family's home. Investigation is what he was made to do! :)

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    I was just parusing Pinnacle's downloads site when I came across the combat survival guide. I know we haven't had any combat yet, but that guide provides a useful reference when you're in the thick of things.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Sorry my posts have been a bit slow as of late, heh, you know how it can be sometimes. I'll do my best to keep em coming quickly!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Let me know if you need me to make any rolls.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Figures I'd fail my first roll of the game.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    ohh, ouch...You can keep searching though as time allows.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Heh, that happened to me once...got a critical failure on the first roll. But for now, see ya tomorrow when we shall continue the investigation.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna get punished with crappy rolls later, I just know it.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Based on the description of Saints' Icons, etc. at the memorial, am I correct in assuming that the Walkers are Catholic?

It probably isn't that obvious, but just based on what we can see, is that true of the majority of the townsfolk as well? It isn't that important, but since Quinn's Catholic I guess it might affect his dealings with people on some level.

Popesnax on
    edited February 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    I'm gonna get punished with crappy rolls later, I just know it.

Yeah real crappy there... ;-)

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah real crappy there... ;-)

Hey, it's only been 1 ace a roll, that's like, nothing...! ;-)

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    True. I've had damage rolls get into the 30's and 40's. One GM I had got pissed cause I oneshotted the final big bad of his adventure.

Radical Ans on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    6 people in house is probably a bit much. I can catch up on info with one of you when you come back out of the house. Also, if we need to ride somewhere I'll need to purchase an (el-cheapo) horse and saddle so give me some time before darting out of town :).

Celebrim on