As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Yo Momma So U[Glee] She...

SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
Glee is a show about a magical land where rainbow people sing and dance their feelings while everyone watching just wants to give a cheerleader a hug.

Now dance monkies, dance with your words for my amusement!

SparserLogic on

• MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i used to watch glee until he made out with the football coach because she'd never been kissed and the kid who picked on kurt kissed him in a fit of angry passion because hurr durr he's secretly gay that's why he lashed out at gay people you guys

both of these things happened in the same episode

each one of those is so monumentally retarded that for both of them to happen in the same episode made me stop watching the show

MikeMan on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know what you're talking about, that Beiste makeout session arose from sheer sexual magnetism and restrained lust.

Also, even money has Gay-Hulk(TM) committing suicide or shooting up the place sometime this season.

SparserLogic on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watching Glee and trying to make sense of it is like trying to make sense of Season 2 of Heroes. Personally I watch it because its silly over the top and sometimes has some good songs.

And Sue.

projectmayhem on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People taking this show seriously are doing it wrong.
    DOING
    IT
    WRONG

Yes, that was necessary.

DemonStacey on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    People taking this show seriously are doing it wrong.
    DOING
    IT
    WRONG

Yes, that was necessary.

I think it's more than possible to view this show in a light manner and STILL find a lot of the plot points to be monumentally stupid.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't take it seriously, because its a goddamn joke. It's just feeding of the High School Musical bullshit Disney fed to the masses and Fox pounced on it. So now everyone thinks they can sing and that shitty pop-cover songs are the best thing to happen.

I really don't get how anyone can watch this shit seriously or jokingly.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I don't take it seriously, because its a goddamn joke. It's just feeding of the High School Musical bullshit Disney fed to the masses and Fox pounced on it. So now everyone thinks they can sing and that shitty pop-cover songs are the best thing to happen.

Only stupid people think watching Glee means they can instantly sing.

Although I'm of the opinion, personally, that almost anyone can *learn* to sing if they put in genuine time and effort; even if they never turn into Pavarotti.

Why does everyone feel the need to use Disney like its a curse word? I don't understand having such a negative view of the world that everything is seen through the lens of disdain and hatred.

SparserLogic on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While it's not the most egregious plot development on the show, I like how the football team went from incredibly bad to champions in 1 season thanks to Coach Bieste. Wow, the old coach must have really been bad, which I suppose we did see some evidence to support that. Maybe the better question is if Bieste is such a great coach, why'd she choose this school/team?

I didn't find this recent episode so bad...and there was no Sue. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence.

One thing though...and I know that trying to figure out and/or maintain consistency with the ages of the kids is futile, but Ohio's age of consent is 16. So, Blaine is younger than that?

Also, the Gap kid likely has a good case for a lawsuit...he was either fired for something beyond his control, or because the performance outed him as gay.

Doctor Detroit on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why does everyone feel the need to use Disney like its a curse word? I don't understand having such a negative view of the world that everything is seen through the lens of disdain and hatred.

My issue is that it goes all the way back to the pilot. I was expecting that instead of this show being a musical show, I thought it was going to be a show with music. Mainly, I expected the singing to make sense in a context. They're singing because they're in a Glee club. That makes sense. As time went on, it has had several episodes that were more similar to thing I thought it was originally trying to make fun of. It was probably wrong of me to cast my desires of having a show that's a giant subversion of High School Musical, which I felt it was presented as in the pilot, but it has gone back and forth on whether or not it wants to be that.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited February 2011
    devCharles wrote: »

My issue is that it goes all the way back to the pilot. I was expecting that instead of this show being a musical show, I thought it was going to be a show with music. Mainly, I expected the singing to make sense in a context. They're singing because they're in a Glee club. That makes sense. As time went on, it has had several episodes that were more similar to thing I thought it was originally trying to make fun of. It was probably wrong of me to cast my desires of having a show that's a giant subversion of High School Musical, which I felt it was presented as in the pilot, but it has gone back and forth on whether or not it wants to be that.

I can see where you're coming from.

Pilots usually only bear a passing resemblance to the actual show several seasons down the line. Glee has found it's profitable niche now Fox would, frankly, be stupid to lose all that revenue simply to subvert our popular culture a little bit.

SparserLogic on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So in all honesty, does Justin Bieber have any songs worth listening to? The whole idea of him just irritates me, but maybe he actually can sing, and that's why they're doing a show on him?

silence1186 on
    edited February 2011
    So in all honesty, does Justin Bieber have any songs worth listening to? The whole idea of him just irritates me, but maybe he actually can sing, and that's why they're doing a show on him?

I think its just one song instead of a whole show and I think it's specifically making fun of blondie's haircut.

SparserLogic on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    My only real experience with Bieber is seeing him on the Daily Show, and based on that he's awesome.

But his hair makes me want to attack him with a pair of clippers.

As to the show, I think it aspires to be a lot of things. It wants to be poignant and dramatic, it wants to be silly and fun, it wants to be some form of magical realism. All of these are worthy goals. But it tries to do them all at once, or in sequence with terrible pacing.

Wacky shows removed from all realism are cool. Look at 30 Rock - that world is completely bonkers, but it has a remarkable internal consistency such that everything makes sense in the context of the show. The Office is another good example, especially at mixing different styles. The show can be subtle, or it can be wacky, or it can be serious and moving, and it blends them all together well (or at least it did in its prime).

But Glee is just... the only example I can think of off the top of my head is the breakdown that Asian Chick had in the middle of her performance this past ep. That was just out of the blue. She has never before showed that sort of loss of control, she has never appeared that emotional, there was no set-up for that to happen, it was just she started singing and then sobbed her ass off and everyone was all O_o That sort of thing could have been pulled off well. It could have made sense. It could have even resulted in a dramatic Serious Moment if that was the goal. Instead it was out of left-field, even by the standards of the show, and so it was just weird and awkward and not funny or moving or anything.

And the show does that sort of thing a lot.

But it has some nice music, so I will continue watching it. And when there's a good episode with good story elements, I will consider it a bonus.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Although I'm of the opinion, personally, that almost anyone can *learn* to sing if they put in genuine time and effort; even if they never turn into Pavarotti.

I would take you up on that challenge.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is the best Bieber song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvmIzxO0-n4

SniperGuy on
    edited February 2011
    ZeroCow wrote: »

I would take you up on that challenge.

I rarely output genuine effort for free, sirrah.

Just ask my wife about our sex life for verification.

SparserLogic on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    But Glee is just... the only example I can think of off the top of my head is the breakdown that Asian Chick had in the middle of her performance this past ep. That was just out of the blue. She has never before showed that sort of loss of control, she has never appeared that emotional, there was no set-up for that to happen, it was just she started singing and then sobbed her ass off and everyone was all O_o That sort of thing could have been pulled off well. It could have made sense. It could have even resulted in a dramatic Serious Moment if that was the goal. Instead it was out of left-field, even by the standards of the show, and so it was just weird and awkward and not funny or moving or anything.

This moment of TV made me feel more awkward than when sex scenes come up when I'm watching a movie with the parents.

SniperGuy on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd never heard of Glee till the other day, (I don't watch much TV.) when I decided to go channel surfing and stumbled upon it. A show with musical numbers is like catnip for me. Tasty, nicotine-laced catnip.

Gundi on
  • LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

This moment of TV made me feel more awkward than when sex scenes come up when I'm watching a movie with the parents.

Isn't the overemotional breakdown bit part of My Funny Valentine? I'm pretty sure I've seen it played that way before.

LeTwig on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    LeTwig wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Isn't the overemotional breakdown bit part of My Funny Valentine? I'm pretty sure I've seen it played that way before.

She also tells him when PYT is finished that she's so in love she might cry.

Artereis on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As someone who has been pretty critical of this show, I wanted to go on record as saying that I expected this most recent episode to totally suck when I sat down. I mean, Christ, they started off with two extended voice-over monologues from different characters back-to-back. And it wasn't even the interesting kind of V.O. that you might get out of something like Magnum P.I. (or it's latter-day cousin, Burn Notice), it wasn't about establishing character or tone. It was the lazy kind of "dear diary," "let us tell you what our characters are thinking because we either don't trust our actors well enough to convey the story on its own merits or don't trust the audience enough to follow what's going on" voice over. And they put two of those in a row. That's almost invariably a signal that tells me that I should go to the kitchen and make myself a sandwich because the show's not going to start for another ten.

But guys! The show didn't actually suck! The characters were still flawed, but they were either self-aware of their own flaws or else behaved in a way that was consistent with those flaws, and they reacted to the flaws of the characters around them! The story was good, and it didn't gloss over its own complexities! The musical numbers were entertaining, and they were generally well-performed! The dialog was decent! The acting was better!

And maybe it's just because I really enjoyed that kick-ass BLT I made during the first act when the back-to-back voice-overs made me flee to my kitchen, but I actually might go so far as to say that this episode not only didn't suck, but it was actually generally good. I'm hoping that the long break allowed the cast and crew to maintain this level of quality throughout the rest of the season.

The secret, by the way, is to dredge the bacon through dark brown sugar and chili powder before you fry it.

SammyF on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Now that Brittany has quit the Cheerios, her clothing choices have become another character on the show.

Also, even if all the other remaining good aspects of the show were to vanish, I would continue to watch as long as they continue to have episodes with Harry Freaking Potter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBSZKgeSNmw

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the HELL is the deal with Finn thinking "Yes, maybe I am not over Quinn."

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

Apothe0sis on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011

this is pretty catchy

Opium on
    edited February 2011
    See, I thought it was catchy up until the point where Shane Botwin started singing.

Not that he can't sing or anything, from a technical standpoint it's good, I just, you know, he sounds like he's 10. How does someone sing about indecisive lovers when his testicles haven't dropped yet? I'm not feeling any emotional authenticity behind the lyrics.

SammyF on
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

She's hott as hell?

Honestly this is one of the most realistic things they've done. She's incredibly cute and he never even got any action with her this first time around. Any red-blooded straight boy would immediately forget about all past actions and jump that cooch at the earliest possible chance.

I'm genuinely glad they decided to stop writing his character like a girl. All this hemming and hawwing and all the "hurt" and "feelings" talk was waaaay over the top.

SparserLogic on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

It came out of nowhere and makes no sense.

This shit's fine when someone like Puck does it, 'cause he's that kind of guy. But nothing at all has happened to make Finn want Quinn again. Nothing at all.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, it's ridiculous for him to chide Rachel for cheating on him when Quinn did much worse. I can understand being enamored with someone who treated you horribly, but it's nonsensical for the show to treat a minor betrayal as devastating while turning a serious offense into a joke.

But I still can't stop watching because I think four or five of the castmembers are adorable.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2011
    Also, it's ridiculous for him to chide Rachel for cheating on him when Quinn did much worse. I can understand being enamored with someone who treated you horribly, but it's nonsensical for the show to treat a minor betrayal as devastating while turning a serious offense into a joke.

But I still can't stop watching because I think four or five of the castmembers are adorable.

What? He's lying to Rachel, he just wants Quinn.

How is this not realistic? Finn is finally doing what he wants to do now that he has the social status to back it up. He obviously still has a thing for Quinn and senses blood in the water with Bieber-hair.

It's a smart move, finally one to admire from him.

SparserLogic on
    edited February 2011

Eh, I disagree -- as someone whose girlfriend cheated on him in college, my experience is that it'll give you some pretty serious trust issues and you'll be much faster to find or perceive fault in future girlfriends until you've sorted through all of that baggage. Objectively, yes, you're right, it's several orders of magnitude different, but in terms of how human beings work, that seems reasonable to me.

Also Finn's a horrible human being so there's that.

SammyF on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

How is this not realistic? Finn is finally doing what he wants to do now that he has the social status to back it up. He obviously still has a thing for Quinn and senses blood in the water with Bieber-hair.

I was talking about how he hasn't let go of the fact that Rachel cheated on him to make him jealous, but has seemingly forgotten that Quinn (and, really, Mercedes, Tina, and Kurt) tried to trick him into raising a baby who wasn't his.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2011

I was talking about how he hasn't let go of the fact that Rachel cheated on him to make him jealous, but has seemingly forgotten that Quinn (and, really, Mercedes, Tina, and Kurt) tried to trick him into raising a baby who wasn't his.

I'm saying he's over it and just lying to Rachel. Using it as an excuse not to be forced to get back together with her so long as he has an itch to scratch with Quinn.

SparserLogic on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The funny thing for me is that the characters being all over the place kind of is the truest to life part of the show. My experience in high school was that people had no real strong grasp of who they were or what they wanted. They might want one thing really bad...for maybe a week and a half. The thing is, it's a challenge from a storytelling perspective when you're working with this many people. We get a couple of lines from Tina at a time, which make the character really difficult to follow when she does something big out of nowhere like the crying. A lot of the times, it creates more questions than it answers regarding the character and we seem to move on to something new before any of those questions can be addressed.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited February 2011
    Brittany <3

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    This girl has the best lines
    I'm going to give you some tough love right now. You're not a trend setter. When people look at you they see a cat getting its temperature taken, and then they hear it screaming.

goddamn

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love Sue.

Sweeney Tom on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't find any of this episode stupid. I wasn't drawn into any song beside the Diva-off. But damn, there were a lot of funny lines.

silence1186 on
    edited February 2011
    Curse you east-coasters and your three hour headstart!!!

SparserLogic on
    edited February 2011
    We also have to get up for work three hours earlier, so it balances out!

silence1186 on
    edited February 2011
    So hey, that was amazing.

Heavy on the hotness that is the amazing Brittany and tons of Sue-sational comedy.

Not sure how to read the new Finn. Still seems too stupid to figure out how to manipulate a shallow teenage ex-cheerleader but apparently smart enough to manipulate a shallow teenage diva? Confusing.

SparserLogic on