As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
catherine.png

beta5.png

ps3box.jpgxboxbox.jpg

beta6.png

Catherine is Atlus' first HD title, built from the ground up on the Gamebryo engine; notable for powering The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, among others.

While the game is called Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera; Spike, Cowboy Bebop).

Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro; Elizabeth & Chidori in Persona 3 JP) is a stylish 22-year-old with the charms of a young girl who seduces him into a one-night stand.

However, Vincent has another woman in his life; his long-term girlfriend named Katherine(voiced by Kotono Mitsuishi[Sailor Moon, Misato Katsuragi, Excel, many many others].

Not long after meeting Catherine, Vincent begins having nightmares of falling to his death, and being pursued by demonic creatures.

Rumors are spreading of those who cheat on their girls having the same dreams, and turning up dead in the morning.

The nightmare segments are essential giant puzzle games. Vincent has to reach the tower before he falls to his death; or worse, something drags him screaming to it.

If he doesn't escape the nightmare, he'll be found dead in the morning.

In the days between, Vincent will have to manage his relationship between the two -atherines, in between hanging out with his friends at the Stray Sheep bar.

Will Vincent choose Katherine or Catherine? Or even survive to make a decision?

The nightmares become reality in seven days.

beta.png

beta2.png
1.jpg

Vincent: The Protagonist. A 32-year old salaryman with no ambition in work or love.

2.jpg
Katherine, Vincent's long-term girlfriend. Knows more about Vincent than anyone, and expects him to start committing to their relationship, and soon.

3.jpg
Catherine, a young girl whom seduces Vincent into a one-night stand. Enjoys her free-will, and has no plans to marry or be stuck with one man for any length of time.

4.jpg
Jonathan, one of Vincent's friends. A bachelor who moves from one girl to the next. Will not marry until he meets 'the one'.

5.jpg
Tobey, another of Vincent's friends. A laid-back mechanic with a crush on Erica.

6.jpg
Orlando, the last of Vincent's friends. Likes to drink.

7.jpg
Erica, a 32-year-old waitress at the Stray Sheep; Vincent's favorite hangout.

8.jpg
Master, the bartender and owner of the Stray Sheep.

beta3.png
SlTnA.jpg

W74Il.jpg

XLHOg.jpg

iy7e7.jpg

z2TKM.jpg

F3kKt.jpg

Oxk0t.jpg

3d1UU.jpg

qGk9M.jpg

E1Jw9.jpg

Music by Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Strange Journey, Persona 3 & 4, Raidou Kuzunoha, etc.)

Directed by Katsura Hoshino(Persona 4)

Character design by Shigenori Soejima(Persona 3 & 4, Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity).

Release date: February 17th (JP), ??? (everywhere else).

The PS3 version will be region free, the 360 version is supposedly region-locked.

It is as yet unknown whether those who import will receive the artbook/OST combo:

4437_76805_small.jpg

cpb03.jpg

but let's positive thinking.

Preorder links:

http://www.play-asia.com/Catherine/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-40im.html (PS3)

http://www.play-asia.com/Catherine/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-40in.html (360)

The Asian version is $5 less, but will not contain English subtitles.

The gameplay segments will be somewhat import friendly, as most of the commands are displayed in English.

The cellphone texting elements... not so much.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn, I hope I look that good at 42.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So no word on localization, I take it?

DubiousAtBest on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

The oldest woman I know who looks anywhere near that level is 36.

Mortal Sky on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Japan has an awesome idea of looking 42.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If women looked that good universally at 42 I'd never touch girls my age.

Mortal Sky on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So no word on localization, I take it?

None.

But I have a good feeling about 2/14. How could they not use that day?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No way is that girl 43

Edit - Of course not, she's 42

Turkey on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of hot older redheads, Julianne Moore is 50 goddamn years old, she should not look that good.

Anyway, the nightmare sections of the game. Are they gonna be platform type things or a mixture of different styles?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's like Intelligent Cube, sort of.

First couple minutes should give you an idea, from the PSN demo(long since pulled due to over-popularity) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvrqib53b0

A bit of platforming, a lot of puzzle.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty psyched for this game, hope it gets localisation.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In the last trailer "Midnight Venus" they have Erica listed as 32, not 42.

Ranadiel on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At first I was like, "well, this will get localized - it's Atlus." Now I'm all "why hasn't this been announced for localization? It's Atlus!"

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's so much interest in this game - Atlus would be mad to not do a local release.

Then again, this is Atlus we're talking about.

RisenPhoenix on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I tried playing the demo of this

But I don't read Japanese

It didn't go over well at all

UnbreakableVow on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm always game for unique and/or different forms of story telling in the various entertainment medias. Here's hoping we either get an uncensored/direct-translated localization or through some sort of ps3 homebrew/hacker magic a fan-made translation.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay so im at work and cant see the video/pics.

Is this game basically dating sim + sudoku (in terms that its actually just puzzles)

or is it more of an ageast war rpg where you fight things, build levels, collect items etc.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    It's like Intelligent Cube, sort of.

Sold

I never got to play IQ outside of the demo

It was already discontinued, even though I asked for a PlayStation and Intelligent Qube God I have such lousy parents

But let me tell you, I played the shit out of that demo

UnbreakableVow on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am really looking forward to a localized version.

::crosses fingers::

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay so im at work and cant see the video/pics.

Is this game basically dating sim + sudoku (in terms that its actually just puzzles)

or is it more of an ageast war rpg where you fight things, build levels, collect items etc.

It seems to me less of a dating sim, and more of a horror/psychological thriller/very very messed up story about a guy and his girlfriend.

and then sometimes there's goat men and sudoku.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The demo was fun. Frantic and scary. Very much frenzied thinking. Hell of an odd game for sure.

I don't know. I want to import it so badly. I never have before. But at the same time I know I should wait. I'd just end up buying it again when it comes out in the US just on the 360.

I'm sure I could find translation notes somewhere after release. I don't know. I'll see.

Anything by this team just gets me excited and wanting it as soon as possible.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

The oldest woman I know who looks anywhere near that level is 36.

Check out elle mcphearson.

Also I'm really super iffy on the gameplay right now but I still want to get it if only for the story and style.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds so unique it'd be a waste not to snap it up*

*But it needs to be localised first...

Dunxco on
    edited February 2011
    I may grab the Japanese title anyways. I'll most likely grab it in English when it releases too. But I'm crazy like that and have the money for such things right now.

Regardless.

Hopefully it'll be localized and hopefully October would be a good release. For this game anyways. But we shall see.

mastrius on
    edited February 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvLPcly3Eas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJ4LhSsEa0&feature=related

Not 100%, but pretty comprehensive.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awww dammmn, Thanks CJ!

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My money is ready, Atlus.

You know what you must do.

CheesecakeRecipe on
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvLPcly3Eas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJ4LhSsEa0&feature=related

Not 100%, but pretty comprehensive.

That's neat and all, but a Youtube video does me no good

I'll just wait for the localization

UnbreakableVow on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bandwidth exceeded for the OP pics btw CJ.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This looks really cool in terms of the visuals, the concept and themes but I don't think I could really get into the puzzle aspect of it.

Maybe an RPG. Or something more in the vein of the Deception series... damn, I miss those.

Still, it's an interesting use of that engine there.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Bandwidth exceeded for the OP pics btw CJ.

Not anymore.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    With an early review 2 days before release, Famitsu gave Catherine a score of 35/40.
    (9/9/8/9, 35 points): Atlus' first "next generation console" game that they developed themselves, Catherine earned high praise for the maturity of its story. "I like the risks the story takes," one editor said. "This is definitely an impactful game for adults. The unique characters and difficult-to-predict story combine to make this a pretty charming package."

This love for the adventure aspects of the game was echoed among other writers -- "The graphics and presentation are both high quality, and the story and adventure parts really reel in the player." The "nightmare" stages, which feature more action-oriented gameplay, weren't as heavily lauded, although they apparently aren't disastrous: "It's really impressive how the story segues into giving you action-puzzle challenges in the nightmare stages. The stages can be pretty hard, though, and finishing them is largely a trial-and-error process."

RisenPhoenix on
    edited February 2011
    If shit like Demon's Souls can get released here, then I have 100% faith that we can get this too

Especially seeing as it's a multi-platform release

It's weird, I'm not usually into the anime stuff but I'm oddly intrigued by this

UnbreakableVow on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am so excited for this, the puzzle aspect looks really fun.

There's probably a good chance of it being localized, I would say, because they're developing it for 360. Developing for the 360 in Japan is insane unless you're planning on bringing it to the states.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If shit like Demon's Souls can get released here, then I have 100% faith that we can get this too

Especially seeing as it's a multi-platform release

It's weird, I'm not usually into the anime stuff but I'm oddly intrigued by this

Oh, this will definitely come over here. Don't worry about it.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Atlus is such a god damn tease.
    happyvday.jpg

The Anonymous on
    edited February 2011
    BASTARDS.

<3

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    I don't get it

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2011
    It's the exact same color scheme Catherine's been using.

Either they are the biggest trolls in the universe, or they're up to something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Atlus is such a god damn tease.
    happyvday.jpg

My jaw dropped when I opened this spoiler. I haven't had that happen before.

Goddamn Atlus. <3<3

RisenPhoenix on
    edited February 2011
    I'd imagine it'll come over. I decided to go crazy and got the Japanese PS3 Version. So I'll let you all know how it is when I play it if no one else has it when it arrives for me.

mastrius on