As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scott Pilgrim Thread 2: Now on DVD. TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS

1424344454648»

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The comics are better then the movies. PEROID.

Edgar Wright is a cool dude but within 2 hours he isn't able to capture the nuance (nonsense) of the book.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I agree that there's more content in the book, and that that gives the characters more time to be developed, but I think that the movie was more polished and refined. Evil Exes 2 & 3 in particular were much more interesting, and there were a lot of jokes in the books that took a page, while the movie condensed the joke to a line. Like the "please be good" thing at the start, in the book it drags on and everyone's talking and talking, whereas in the movie it was quicker, and funnier for it.
    Also I had trouble telling characters apart in the book, a lot of them, the girls in particular, looked very similar.

AnteCantelope on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The film is better than the comics. PEROID.

Bryan O'Malley is a cool dude but over 6 volumes he isn't able to match the pace, polish, coherency, structure and far, far more on-point satire of the film.

Plus, that editing
    <3

Xagarath on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I agree that there's more content in the book, and that that gives the characters more time to be developed, but I think that the movie was more polished and refined. Evil Exes 2 & 3 in particular were much more interesting, and there were a lot of jokes in the books that took a page, while the movie condensed the joke to a line. Like the "please be good" thing at the start, in the book it drags on and everyone's talking and talking, whereas in the movie it was quicker, and funnier for it.
    Also I had trouble telling characters apart in the book, a lot of them, the girls in particular, looked very similar.

Scott's ex came across as being really, really lame in the movie and almost completely bereft of signifigance. Also: they tried too hard to make her a bitch.

Gaddez on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The thing about the movie is that they were angling for Scott to wind up with Knives. If you watch the deleted scenes (especially their first date, with the snowstorm and the swingset), it's much closer to the comics and Ramona is so much warmer to Scott it's unbelievable.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Picked this up on Bluray recently

My only complaint is I want more behind the scenes stuff

Like the Alien Quadrilogy ridiculous level of behind the scenes stuff

HappylilElf on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly after watching the deleted scenes I have no idea why they didn't add another 20 or so minutes to the movie. I don't think anybody would have complained.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly after watching the deleted scenes I have no idea why they didn't add another 20 or so minutes to the movie. I don't think anybody would have complained.

Pacing.

Film as it is? Breakneck, and that's a very good thing.

Adding would slow it down.

chiasaur11 on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PEROID

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Pacing.

Film as it is? Breakneck, and that's a very good thing.

Adding would slow it down.

The pacing of the film is one of the main things i dont like about it.

Jokerman on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The film already stretches slightly. I'm glad they didn't decide to re-add those scenes.

The Fourth Estate on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The first time I watched it, and got to the end with
    nega-Scott, my first thought was "Not another fight please, it's time to end the movie." Sure, there wasn't another fight, but I don't really think I would want the movie to be much longer.

Of course, I also thought that ending was rushed, so there's no perfect solution. Break it into two movies, drag it out longer (when I already thought it was borderline), cut some of the exes, nothing would have been perfect, and in the end I think I'm happiest with the way it turned out.

Gaddez wrote: »
    Scott's ex came across as being really, really lame in the movie and almost completely bereft of signifigance. Also: they tried too hard to make her a bitch.

I thought she was great. As over-the-top as everything in the movie, she wasn't portrayed as a real person, but as the person Scott saw her as, so of course she's too much of a bitch, that's just the way Scott thinks of her. I don't know what you mean about bereft of significance, she gets introduced early, mentioned regularly, her boyfriend nearly kills Scott, and then there's a little closure at the end. Rushed, maybe, but that's just the pace of the movie.

AnteCantelope on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    also: dat voice

Joolander on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The first time I watched it, and got to the end with
    nega-Scott, my first thought was "Not another fight please, it's time to end the movie." Sure, there wasn't another fight, but I don't really think I would want the movie to be much longer.

Of course, I also thought that ending was rushed, so there's no perfect solution. Break it into two movies, drag it out longer (when I already thought it was borderline), cut some of the exes, nothing would have been perfect, and in the end I think I'm happiest with the way it turned out.

Gaddez wrote: »

I thought she was great. As over-the-top as everything in the movie, she wasn't portrayed as a real person, but as the person Scott saw her as, so of course she's too much of a bitch, that's just the way Scott thinks of her. I don't know what you mean about bereft of significance, she gets introduced early, mentioned regularly, her boyfriend nearly kills Scott, and then there's a little closure at the end. Rushed, maybe, but that's just the pace of the movie.

Eh, even though she probably should have had a little more screentime, I liked movie Envy, if only because her band had what was, imo, the best song in the movie. Beck's rendition of "Ramona" is a close second though.

...You know, now that I think back to it, there was something with Envy in Vol. 6 that kinda bugged me a bit. Mainly, this line:

"You talk about me like I'm some kind of villianess."

Now, don't get me wrong. I know that Scott and Envy's breakup was nasty, that Scott had been kinda dickish towards her about the band, and that Scott really wasn't being all that mature when she called him or tried to talk with him after the fact.

But she makes it sound like she was entirely innocent in all this, when she wasn't.

I mean, Todd was trying to fucking murder Scott. She knew about this and the league, but she never tried to stop it. If she were innocent in this, you think she would have called the police, or at the very least pulled Todd aside and told him something like "Hey, uh, Todd? I don't like Scott any more than you do, but this 'league of evil exes' thing? This is fucking insane. Let's just walk away before things get out of hand."

But no, she supports Todd a hundred percent, and even goes as far as to help him out by playing her little mind games with Scott throughout the whole confrontation. She also tried to crack Ramona's head open with a comically huge mallet.

Again, I know Scott was kind of a dick towards her, and really hurt her feelings. Also, whether or not Envy really wanted to see Scott end up dead is probably up for debate.

Still though, if she doesn't want to be thought of as a villianess, maybe she shouldn't have acted like one. Just sayin'.

BigBear on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    also: dat voice

Let's face it.

Dat Everything.

Except the massive bitch thing.

She is a massive bitch. Wallace says so, and Wallace Wells is a perpetual source of sage advice.

chiasaur11 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While it's fantastic that Edgar Wright was able to capture the essence of Envy and Todd without focusing on them as much as the books do, he still only managed a general idea.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    keep in mind O'Malley was still working on volume 3 when they started the script

Joolander on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I didn't notice this until I read about it on TVTropes the other day...

buuuuuuuuut
    in the scene right before Scott introduces Ramona to the rest of the band Steven Stills is checking Scott out pretty hard.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    keep in mind O'Malley was still working on volume 3 when they started the script

No, he was still working on book 5.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited February 2011
    not according to the creator commentary on the DVD

but I really don't feel like arguing, since it doesnt really matter

Joolander on