As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Sheryl Crow Role-Playing Game IC/OOC] Hard to make a stand

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure what the angle would be for the jazz guy. Some kind of free jazz / fusion cover of If It Makes You Happy leads him to realize Sheryl as the key to rejuvenating jazz. I'm not sure where the humor in the personality is, though. Hmm.

With black metal boy you have a sort of mumbly befuddled dude in a Gorgoroth t-shirt suddenly announcing that all of reality is a 4-dimensional hologram stretched across the surface of Sheryl Crow. That one is easier.

Hmm, what else.

desc on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    desc wrote: »
    all of reality is a 4-dimensional hologram stretched across the surface of Sheryl Crow. That one is easier.

INTENSE

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, let me post a confused metal kid when I get home.

After his band Sheryl Crow Enthroned breaks up, he hears word of a band -- nay, a musical fellowship -- whose quest matches his own.

desc on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can you ride a deep crow in this game?

Rend on
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would love to post a picture of a dog looking around a door going "What's going on in this thread? Oh Shit!" because that's how I feel right now reading this thread...

samurai6966 on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rend wrote: »
    Can you ride a deep crow in this game?

anything is possible in Sheryl Crow RPG

the unattainable is unknown in Sheryl Crow RPG

simonwolf on
    edited February 2011
    okay, going to draw a brief comic strip as a character submission for Black Metal Boy. Simon, I should have some doodles and stats to post tomorrow for evaluation.

desc on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Given this is a game about musicians, hard drugs will allow you to ride pretty much anything you want, anywhere you want.

"Is Gary still sitting in that chair stoned out of his gourd and making 'caw caw' noises?"

"Yeah".

"I think I'll try whatever it was he was having. Sounds like fun!"

e- Also, at least one person got your zombocom reference, Simon :P

El Skid on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Soon as Desc writes up black metal kid, I'll get this game started.

simonwolf on
    edited February 2011
    Oh, if it's like that, let me just post up a quickie:

Black Metal Boy

Stamina 5 Skill 4 Sexiness 3

Discography:
    Suppurating Death Demo Cassette (17 copies)
    Entrapped Within a Dungeon CD-R (25 copies)

He can perform fairly good blastbeats for hours without tiring, but he's sort of an average-looking young dork. A youthful misadventure grants him a vision of Sheryl Crow who explains to him that she is the heart of existence, and what we call "language" is actually an abstraction of her music in an encoded form. Shattered by this revelation, he quits his old band and marches off on a single mission!

(insert loud old cassette tape of a poorly-recorded blastbeat here)

desc on
    edited February 2011
    Wednesday.

You stand in the auditorium which you had been led to by a flyer, or a post on a message board for a Sheryl Crow fansite. Together with you are the others, people who have come in order to realise their dream. There's Henry Rollins, his face nearly red from holding in his shouts and calls for action. There's the black metal kid, fiddling with a cassette tape he's brought along with him. There's Kim Pine, stoic and red-haired, unamused by the circumstances she's found herself in. Also there might be Lady Gaga there, but it may be a figment of your collective imagination. She does appear to have some kind of polar bear.

But there's something more important in this place than polar bears or awful demo tapes. On the card table between you, its hinged legs held together through a combination of tenacity and duct tape, there's a piece of paper, a flyer advertising the upcoming battle of the bands. Someone tore it down from the wall outside and has placed it there in order to unify you all with a single purpose.
    posterpj.png

You don't care about the gift certificate, and you sure as hell don't care about Fred Savage.

You're here for the chance to go to L.A. and, most of all, meet her. Your muse.

Sheryl Crow.

The only problem is deciding how this band is going to work.

Also, who the heck has ten bucks in this economy?

You all realise your mission: start a band together. Find ten bucks.

And destroy anyone who stands in-between you and Sheryl Crow.

simonwolf on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh Sheryl. Did I miss the character submission deadline?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011
    The game has officially begun. Please do not post in here unless you are a member of the band-to-be.

That means you.

simonwolf on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kim stands in the auditorium, her hands thrust deep into the pockets of her zip-up track top. She blows a huge pink gum bubble, and bursts it while dragging it back into her mouth for more chewing.

After giving a furtive glance first to the left, then to the right, she steals a glance at the flyer on the table.

'A $10 Gift Voucher!'

"Lame."

'Dinner and a Movie with Fred Savage!'

"Laaamer. And gross."

'Trip to L.A. and open for Sheryl Crow!!!!'

"..."

She reads that last bit again.

'Trip to L.A. and open for Sheryl Crow!!!!'

Her apathetic expression twists into one of... excitement? For a moment at least, then it's back to bored, and yet slightly uncomfortable.

"...Gay."

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lady GaGa stretches languidly on the back of her animal totem, the polar bear. Both her and the bear are bedecked in bright red leather and rusty iron bands.

"If you're not going to respect your brothers and sisters, I shan't bring you along missy," she says from behind Kim. "Fame cannot abide homophobes!"
    OOC: I am the worst GaGa, but I cannot be stopped!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2011
    I'M GOING TO SAY AS QUIETLY AND INTENSELY AS POSSIBLE THAT GOOD MUSIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EITHER OF THEM AND NEITHER DO AUTOTUNERS FOR THAT MATTER SO YOU HAD BETTER KNOW HOW TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Black metal boy shuffles up to the table and squints at the paper.

"$10 gift certificate! Sweet! Wait -- Fred Savage! Even better! No ... No way. NO WAY THE WINNERS OPEN FOR SHERYL CROW."

A thought occurs to him, and he looks crestfallen. "Why did I quit my band? Where am I going to find a new band on such short notice?"

desc on
    edited February 2011
    WHAT DO YOU PLAY

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    "Dude I play the most punishing drums this side of Gothenburg. Hey ... Aren't you that guy? Greg Ginn, right?"

desc on
    edited February 2011
    NO BUT I USED TO PLAY WITH GREG. MY NAME'S HENRY AND I DO VOCALS. AND NOW YOU'RE IN MY BAND.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    "NICE. Where's the rest of the band? I'm ready to DO THIS."

desc on
    edited February 2011
    SO FAR IT'S JUST YOU AND ME. IF THAT'S ALL WE GOT THEN WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT. I'VE DONE VOCALS OVER DRUMS BEFORE. I'D BE MORE COMFORTABLE IF WE ALSO HAD A BASSIST AND A GUITARIST THOUGH.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Kim pops her gum again, and glances at the woman on a polar bear. She figures that's not entirely possible, or at least probable, and thus goes with:

"Hey, Monster Lady. Cuddly toys are not musical instruments." That's when she notices the two dudes talking, and she decides to butt in.

"I play guitar," she says, nodding back towards the backpack and guitar case she came in with. "It could be a bass, I guess, if it needed to be. Subspace storage system and all that, eh?"

The drummer dude causes her to grin, though. Grimly. A grim grin.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2011
    I LIKE YOUR SPIRITYOU ARE IN THE BAND AND I EXPECT INTENSITY AND HEART AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU'VE GOT WHEN ONSTAGE AND OFFSTAGE

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    "I have gum."

*POP*

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2011
    THEN CHEW IT LIKE YOU PLAY GUITAR AND POP IT LIKE IT IS ALL THE BULLSHIT IN THE WORLD THAT YOU WILL BRING TO ITS KNEES AND ROCK THAT GUM UNTIL IT IS EXHAUSTED AND READY TO WASH YOUR WINDOWS AND TAKE YOUR TRASH OUT FOR YOU JUST TO HAVE A TASTE OF YOUR TONGUE

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    "Yeah, sure." Kim tells the guy that's getting louder by the minute. "Gotta tell you that I don't play drums anymore, though. And like, what's with the yelling? You a klazomaniac or something?"

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2011
    THIS IS HOW I TALK AND HOW I DO A LOT OF OTHER THINGS TOO

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Black metal boy gives Kim a serious, probing look for a few moments.

"... Klazomania would be a pretty good name for a thrash band."

desc on
    edited February 2011
    I LIKE IT FOR ANY KIND OF BAD IT MIGHT COME OFF A LITTLE PRETENTIOUS BUT FUCK THAT BECAUSE I LIKE THE WORD

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    "I am a force for music, and justice!" Gaga says as she sits up, doffing a red leather hat. "Fame is not a toy, but he is an instrument of music!" She fiddles with some rusty clockwork on the bear saddle, and a humming note begins to fill the room. The bear shifts from side to side and the note thrums to the beat.

"Fame! Light it up!"

The bear strikes a pose on three legs, it's front right paw held in the air, and a sequence of LED lights fires along the saddle. Then the leatherbooted paw comes smashing down and a heavy bass note shakes the room.

Gaga just cackles maniacally as she raises her keytar in the air.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2011
    CAN YOU ACTUALLY PLAY THAT THING

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    CAN YOU ACTUALLY PLAY THAT THING

"YES. WE. CAN!"
    Roll Skills for me, Simon!

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited February 2011
    Black metal boy's eyes widen.

"If you didn't feed it, would your bear, like, actually eat you for sustenance?"

desc on
    edited February 2011
    "Oh, right," Kim says, with a rather flat tone. "Fame's not a stuffed animal, he's a musical instrument. Right." She rolls her eyes, and blows another huge bubble, bursting it noisily.

She either doesn't hear or see what the bear is doing, or she's really just ignoring it very well. Her foot does start to tap in time with whatever beat's going on in the background, however.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2011
    Straddling her keytar, Lady Gaga mounts her polar bear avatar and steels herself to perform a song on that, the most difficult of all instruments, in order to impress upon her bandmates the magnitude of her capability to play.

Moderate Difficulty Skill check - 2d6=4,2
    sherylcrowg.jpg
    sheryld.gif

Gaga's performance is exceptional, easily doubling any expectations anyone else could have possibly had for her. Even Kim Pine's toe-tapping reveals that the true spirit of her performance can seep into to hearts of even the most bitter and jaded, showing their true hearts for the world to see, uniting them in the spirit of music.

Surely, Sheryl herself would be impressed.

As soon as Gaga finishes playing, however, the doors to the auditorium open. Silhouetted by the streaming light, and clearly some kind of fog machine, they stride into the empty space and reveal themselves for the four heroes to see.

Trent Reznor. Ke$ha. Mikael Åkerfeldt. Trisha "Trasha" Ha.

"So you think you're going to win first prize, do you," comes the mocking voice of Reznor, echoing throughout the silence of the auditorium that lay in wake after Gaga's masterful keytar performance, "Well, consider this our first meeting as enemies. We're winning that prize, and you're fools if you think you can stand in the way of our victory."

Trisha flips everyone the bird.

simonwolf on
    edited February 2011
    YOU'RE NOT EVEN FLIPPING IT RIGHT FIRST PUT UP THE MIDDLE FINGER LIKE THIS AND THEN RRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Kim nudges Henry, and points towards the dark haired master of dark ambient industrial.

"You're meant to take him," she instructs. "The bitch you're raging at is mine. And I dislike her, kinda. Capische?"

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited February 2011
    THE GUITARIST IS A OKAY GUY AND HE KNOWS HOW TO FUCKING PLAY BUT I HAVE BASICALLY ZERO RESPECT FOR ANY OF THE REST OF THEM ESPECIALLY REZNOR WHO ALSO CANNOT CARRY ANY MORE OF A TUNE THAN I CAN AND YEAH HE IS MINE

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Bmb frowns. "You guys, we could destroy them. Remember when Bill and Ted defeated Evil Robot Bill and Evil Robot Ted? That's totally us. Like if Wyld Stallyns opened for Sheryl Crow."

His voice trails off, as he's obviously visualizing a Wyld Stallyns / Sheryl Crow concert with delight.

desc on