As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]Why did Riot servers go down for ten hours on patch day? For rest.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DotA2 is starting to look really nice soon!

What does Riot care at this point. They got their payday from their investor. They can just all go tell people to fuck off now. If this IP thing is still in place when PAX East happens I think those of you that are attending should give the Riot people there a piece of your mind.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    maybe they made an error

Jars on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    maybe they made an error

i think it is called no internal testing.

everyone knows that live is the new beta.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An error? In computer gaming?

UNPOSSIBLE!

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Occam's Razor on the IP thing.

Either they A: Miscalculated the IP reward system so numbers are too low or B: They are going directly against all the stuff they've said they meant it to do just to screw people.

Gonna say its probably A. Its not like that kind of stuff doesn't happen.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i dunno, i'm starting to think that they like the ability to totally just fuck with their player base and know that nothing will come of it because they'll all come back.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feldorn wrote: »
    i dunno, i'm starting to think that they like the ability to totally just fuck with their player base and know that nothing will come of it because they'll all come back.

That would be the FFXI Theorem

Edit: 19min victory, 63 IP. Hrm.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Occam's Razor on the IP thing.

Either they A: Miscalculated the IP reward system so numbers are too low or B: They are going directly against all the stuff they've said they meant it to do just to screw people.

Gonna say its probably A. Its not like that kind of stuff doesn't happen.

I think i'm in this camp as well. I'm expecting the apologetic riot response followed by the hotfix later today. Followed by free IP boosts all around.

Actually we haven't gotten a free boost in awhile, unless I missed one?

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zoelef wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

That would be the FFXI Theorem

More like the FFXIV Theorem. In common parlance, hahahahahahahahaha.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I see something that goes against what Riot said, like the IP, I have two assumptions I can make. One is to assume they're incompetant, the other is to assume they're malevolent. Riot Games has demonstrated time and time again that I should assume the first.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I see something that goes against what Riot said, like the IP, I have two assumptions I can make. One is to assume they're incompetant, the other is to assume they're malevolent. Riot Games has demonstrated time and time again that I should assume the first.

Confirmation bias.

You only notice when they fuck up.

That you enjoy playing this game everyone complains about indicates they actually do things right more often than not.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Never has a title thread been more appropriate.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Confirmation bias.

That you enjoy playing this game everyone complains about indicates they actually do things right more often than not.

Not necessarily. We can't assume he even plays the game currently. He could just be coming in after cancelling his subscription to tell us all he is quitting.

Wait....

Honestly though, incompetence is not word you want here. They make a game that a LARGE amount of people play and enjoy on a daily basis. That is a far cry from incompetent. But as I have literally just had this debate in another thread regarding this exact issue with a different game. I refuse to have it again :) So I won't say any more on this particular issue.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It has to be an error, but they really need to address it one way or the other soon.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Confirmation bias.

I was speaking specifically about things that go against Riot's stated goals. :P

Perhaps I should have worded it "Riot never says 'yeah we said in the patch notes we were doing this thing, but actually we decided to just shit on everyone's desk'. They typically say 'yeah that wasn't supposed to happen we fucked up'."

Incompetence is a harsh word, I suppose.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Drool wrote: »
    It has to be an error, but they really need to address it one way or the other soon.

Agreed. And mark my words it will come with an IP boost for 3 days. Everyone will end up making more IP than without the error, but noone will make mention of that.

Calling it now :)

@I needed a name: Yup, I think we're on the same page here. (Literally AND figuratively!)

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh boy, their forums are blowing up over the IP thing. (Which I gotta assume is just an error.)

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This just in:

Game developer makes a change in a patch and lowballs the numbers to be on the safe side rather than dumping a bunch of free shit on players. Players will complain (lose their shit) and the developer will fix numbers to be more reasonable. Life will go on.

edit.. on another note, I really wish I liked a ranged physical char because I hate having to gamble with my life as a melee.

edit #2.. just looked at the dota2 site since someone mentioned it. kind of lame that it seems they're just putting the same game in a new engine but some of the shit they talk about like on the fly spectating and whatnot sounds pretty noice.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really dont think its an error since they could have just said so on their website and the rage would have been greatly diminished . Im not going to claim to stop playing the game but I wont pretend that the new ip system ( if this was intended) doesn't suck either.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Either that or they really really want people to use RP on champions and boosts... but knowing riot it's probably a screw up.

Nisi on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We have completely overhauled the IP and XP system in order to make it more fair. Our intention was to leave the overall XP and IP gained by players unchanged.

Previously, IP and XP were awarded for winning or losing a game. Now, they are granted based on how long the game was, and whether you won or lost.

In a long game, you will make significantly more XP and IP than before. However, in a very short game, you will make less IP and XP. We found it frustrating to be stuck in an hour long games, and then get what was effectively 30 minutes of IP reward.

When calculating the number of minutes the game took, we only award for actual game time. However, we give all games a small fixed bonus reward, which is to give you credit for time in queue and champion selection.

Other details:

We have also tweaked the formulas so that new players get larger quantities of IP in their first 10 or so levels so that they can unlock their first Champions more quickly.

First Win of the Day remains unchanged – it is still a flat bonus you will receive when you are eligible.
    We removed the no-leave-streak bonus and increased the IP rewards in general to compensate. The reason we did this is because we felt that with the new LeaverBuster system, this was no longer necessary.

Hm. This isn't really jiving with what I've seen so far.

I think you may have got your formulas wrong and/or mixed-up, Riot. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    We have completely overhauled the IP and XP system in order to make it more fair. Our intention was to leave the overall XP and IP gained by players unchanged.

Previously, IP and XP were awarded for winning or losing a game. Now, they are granted based on how long the game was, and whether you won or lost.

In a long game, you will make significantly more XP and IP than before. However, in a very short game, you will make less IP and XP. We found it frustrating to be stuck in an hour long games, and then get what was effectively 30 minutes of IP reward.

When calculating the number of minutes the game took, we only award for actual game time. However, we give all games a small fixed bonus reward, which is to give you credit for time in queue and champion selection.

Other details:

We have also tweaked the formulas so that new players get larger quantities of IP in their first 10 or so levels so that they can unlock their first Champions more quickly.

First Win of the Day remains unchanged – it is still a flat bonus you will receive when you are eligible.
    We removed the no-leave-streak bonus and increased the IP rewards in general to compensate. The reason we did this is because we felt that with the new LeaverBuster system, this was no longer necessary.

Hm. This isn't really jiving with what I've seen so far.

I think you may have got your formulas wrong and/or mixed-up, Riot. :P

Precisely why i'm in the "It's an error" camp.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Either that or the new Chinese CEO was like "yeah fuck that, give them less IP" at the last minute.

Please do remember that they were recently the object of a takeover by a foreign investor from a country where people think nothing of grinding an extra hundred hours on a level treadmill just cuz'.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I wonder if that's part of it......if they tweaked beginning IP gain...stands to reason they would have to re-adjust the typical lvl 30 player's IP gain.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got 235 IP for a 35 minute win including win of the day. Last one prior to patch was 261 IP. So.. seems about a 30 IP loss per game of average length and even more of a loss on a quick surrender/win. They should have just given bonus IP for games over 45 mins.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really dont think its an error since they could have just said so on their website and the rage would have been greatly diminished . Im not going to claim to stop playing the game but I wont pretend that the new ip system ( if this was intended) doesn't suck either.

I'm thinking it was an error. I mean, they have their patch notes right on the front page of the website explaining that you'll, for the most part, receive similar IP/XP to what you got before. It'd be awfully silly to do that sort of lying.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Either that or the new Chinese CEO was like "yeah fuck that, give them less IP" at the last minute.

Please do remember that they were recently the object of a takeover by a foreign investor from a country where people think nothing of grinding an extra hundred hours on a level treadmill just cuz'.

why does him being chinese have anything to do with anything

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

One in which Riot games has repeatedly said "we remain in control of our company" about.

I mean, you can disbelieve that if you want, but if you're going to assume that a company is lying to you at every turn you probably shouldn't support their game.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best change so far is champs showing barriers and their remaining strength in their health bars.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Talith wrote: »
    Best change so far is champs showing barriers and their remaining strength in their health bars.

I was wondering about that. Is is a pretty noticeable UI element?

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I helped : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Does this only apply to yourself or can you see it on enemy champions too? So for instance, you can tell how close you are to popping Sion's shield?

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    ShankyShanky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    store still down? fffffffffffffffff

Shanky on
    LoL Account = Seafour
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Because senseless paranoid nationalism.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As someone who is bad at this game, should I be trying to play every hero at least once? I suck enough that I try to stick to what I feel like I at least know a little of (ranged support/casters/Rammus), but I don't think I'm actually getting much better.

exis on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I approve of the thread title branching out like this.

Slicer on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Saldonas wrote: »

Does this only apply to yourself or can you see it on enemy champions too? So for instance, you can tell how close you are to popping Sion's shield?

Well, only saw it in one game against an enemy Udyr. Everytime he turtle stanced I noticed it would display the shield strength as part of his health bar. Let's you know if you are actually tearing down that shield or if you are wasting your time.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Saldonas wrote: »

You can see it on enemy champs too, but it does not seem to work with Sion's shield specifically, for whatever reason.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

why does him being chinese have anything to do with anything

Because that's the stereotype for Chinese MMOs. I'd be saying the same thing if a South Korean company bought them out too. Or getting ready for crashes to desktop if an Eastern European company bought them out.

Although they have said repeatedly that they aren't going to change anything. Hopefully that holds true.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    exis wrote: »
    As someone who is bad at this game, should I be trying to play every hero at least once? I suck enough that I try to stick to what I feel like I at least know a little of (ranged support/casters/Rammus), but I don't think I'm actually getting much better.

Yeah, it's beneficial to know how to play against every champ in the game. It's very hard to learn how to exploit weaknesses, and keep from being surprised by a combo or ability you didn't expect without actually playing the respective champ beforehand.

What I do is try to at least run a few test games every week with the free to play champs I haven't actually played yet. So if Ashe if available, then I'll run a test game with her, and then maybe a normal if I feel strong enough with said champ after.

You will be surprised how much just running a short test round will teach you about a champion.

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.