As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Amazing Race 18 And Also Survivor 22

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
Amazingracelogo.jpg

So The Amazing Race is a reality show that airs on CBS at 8 PM on Sundays (in the spring; in the fall it airs an hour and five minutes or so after the last NFL game ends). It's one of the best examples of the genre, routinely winning the Emmy in this category until this past year when I believe Top Chef finally unseated it for the first time ever.

It is hosted by Phil Keoghan, who is a cool dude.

The show is a fairly simple concept, with teams of two in a pre-existing relationship (most frequently young, cute dating couples) traveling around the world doing tasks vaguely (or sometimes directly) related to the local culture and/or history. At the start of each leg, teams receive a pre-determined amount of money which must cover all non-airfare costs There are two major kinds of tasks which make an appearance on all or nearly all legs: the detour and the roadblock. A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons (in theory). Frequently there's a brain/brawns split to these tasks. Or a "hey boring losers, don't take this task" vs. "WOOOOOO BUNGEE!!!" choice. A roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform and the teams must roughly split the roadblocks in half. It was for a while a requirement to be 6-6, but it may have been relaxed to 7-5. At the end of most legs, the last place team is eliminated, until there are three teams left. The first team to finish the final leg wins a million dollars woo.

This spring, TAR is doing its second All-Star kind of season with former competitors being invited back. They range from highly competitive former high finishers to forgettable also-rans whose only distinguishing characteristic in their previous race was having the female half of the team look really good in a gymnastics leotard.

They are:

Amanda and Kris (Engaged couple from TAR14 - 8th place): They were bland but dull in their attempt to be Kris and Jon from TAR6. They were not nearly as competent as those two. Nor as (stealth) funny. Or as unbelievably chipper and awesome about other cultures. Or as hot. She's pretty cute though, so they've got that going for them. Should be Kris and Jon, but we're not inviting anyone from before TAR12, so that's sad.

Gary and Mallory (Father/Daughter from TAR17 - 6th place): Gary is pretty awesome. His daughter is loud and a little over exuberant. Also a beauty queen and decent eye candy. I like Gary, I'm meh about her. Last season had fairly good racers so their finish isn't as awful as it could be.

Flight Time and Big Easy (Harlem Globetrotters from TAR15 - 4th place): They're Globetrotters! They come with Globetrotter theme music! Pretty likable. Good racers until they blew it on a puzzle task in the second to last episode.

Jaime and Cara (Friends/Cheerleaders from TAR14 - 2nd place): They're hot. They were nearly the first all female team to win the race in their season (this finally happened last year), but lost due to taxis if I remember right. Also if I remember right one of them (Jaime, I think) is a totally awful human being. So... hooray?

Jet and Cord (Brothers/Cowboys from TAR16 - 2nd place): Dominated their race and then blew it by not getting near enough to the door on the last plane and shitty final leg design. Likable as they were depicted on the show. There may have been some usage of the word "faggot" to denigrate one of the guys they lost to at TARCon, which would be sad and make them less likable. But popular and competent and basically had to be cast.

Kent and Vyxsin (Dating/"Goths" from TAR12 - 5th place): I think they're ridiculous posers. HATE. Especially him. She's kind of a badass. But very popular for reasons I don't pretend to understand.

LaKisha and Jennifer (Sisters from TAR14 - 4th place): Lost when one of them decided they had to go to the bathroom before checking in at the pit stop. Collegiate athletes who were quite good racers except when facing swimming tasks.

Margie and Luke (Mother and Son from TAR14 - 3rd place): He's deaf, she's possibly enhanced with cybernetic implants. Very good racers, but possess an insufferable persecution complex about his lack of hearing. Hate Kisha and Jen for spurious and silly reasons. Wheee!

Mel and Mike (Gay Father and Son from TAR14 - 6th place): They're among the funniest teams in race history (Kevin and Drew from TAR1, Danny and Oswald from TAR2, Ken and Gerard from TAR3). Mike is in fact professionally funny, writing and appearing in School of Rock. I love them, but they're probably doomed, as impressive as Mel is for his age.

Ron and Christina (Father and Daughter from TAR12 - 2nd place): He treats his daughter horribly. She loves him and expects him to get better! It's an awesome dynamic. Love her, loathe him. He said one of the creepiest things in race history at the end of their season about how "for the first time he means it" when he says he loved his daughter. They were (she was) excellent racers who were foiled by a brilliant puzzle roadblock at the end of the race. Possibly my favorite task in race history besides the ox that inspired the greatest line in television history "My ox is broken! This is bullshit!"

Zev and Justin (Best Friends from TAR15 - 9th place): Zev has Asperger's or some other place on the austistic spectrum. Justin is a cool dude who befriended him. They lost Zev's passport in a leg they finished first on and ultimately could not be checked in because without a passport you can't keep racing around the world. It was a bummer as they're pretty cool. Decent racers.

All in all, not the greatest casting, even given the theme. I wish we could have had some older teams, particularly Ken and Gerard (brothers from TAR3) and Kris and Jon (couple from TAR6) my two favorite teams of all time (and possessing the two best navigators in Kris and Gerard). Hell, I'd take Flo over some of these people. But it could hardly be worse than the original All Star season which featured similarly depressing casting, bad race design that allowed 24 hour leads and Dustin and Kandice to start a leg before other teams finished the previous one and horrible, horrible things that kept friggin' Mirna in the race instead of Guido and it was sad. And then the fake team that was totally dating after they met on TAR9 except really they just fucked a couple times won. Sigh.

Anyway, hopefully this will be excellent, as the show is usually great, even if just for the locations. And I think it's finally in HD! Which it always should have been as the scenery is usually gorgeous.

Also, in this thread, we can discuss the other mainstay CBS reality show, which once again features these two:

Rob-Mariano_320.jpg

"Boston" Rob Mariano, making his fourth Survivor appearance, along with his two TAR appearances. He's a professional camera whore, but he's also fairly entertaining and good at both games. He's finished 10th, 2nd (losing to his wife... if you haven't heard), and 14th in his three seasons. I like him. There is a "rivalry" with...

russell-hantz-survivor-samoa.jpg

Russell Hantz, making his third appearance in four seasons. He's a terrible, terrible human being and tremendously bad at Survivor in the sense that he cannot ever win the game. He's very good at self-aggrandizing though and makes you sure he's the best player ever. Except the woman he lost to in Survivor 19 made the key play (at 12) and Sandra/Parvati thoroughly kicked his ass in Survivor 20. He's a great goat to take to the final tribal council because he's such an unlikable asshole and is incredibly non-self aware. HAAAAAAATE.

The season premiere was tonight, and things look fairly promising despite the ridiculous gimmick of them and Redemption Island. Not enough personalities shown and I only REALLY hate one person besides Russell so far. So that's good news.

Anyway, use this thread to discuss the flagship CBS reality shows!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should add that I absolutely adore TAR, and it's one of my favorite shows on TV, even with the crappy casting recently. And the first five or seasons are so, so good. Survivor I'm more ambivalent about but watch the first few episodes to see if anyone interesting is on. Mostly that show interests the strategy gamer in me. I'd be awful at challenges, but I think fairly good at the social stuff.

enlightenedbum on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, fucking Kris and Jon. I'd forgotten how ridiculously likeable they were. You're right, I wish they were back. :(

Also I wish that the 'reality' tag was used more sparingly. I view TAR and Survivor as gameshows, whereas something like.. uh, half the programs on MTV are 'reality'. There's a distinction!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, Survivor.

That was perhaps the most boneheaded move I have ever seen in a Tribal Council to date. I have literally no idea what is going on inside that person's head.

That plus how stupid people were being about the first vote in the game, in addition to the annoyance of having Rob and Russell back... not a good start to the season and we haven't even seen how Redemption Island is going to factor into everything.

Aistan on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Survivor is like junk food lined with crack. I know it's pretty trashy, and know full well it's bad for me. But god help me if I can't stop watching it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't watched these shows in years, but maybe I'll get back into them if they're going to be this over the to ridiculous.

neat note: My uncle was friends with Steve and Dan, the air traffic controllers from Season 4. Apparently they kept flubbing their audition tape that they just sent all of the bloopers instead.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited February 2011
    I haven't watched these shows in years, but maybe I'll get back into them if they're going to be this over the to ridiculous.

neat note: My uncle was friends with Steve and Dan, the air traffic controllers from Season 4. Apparently they kept flubbing their audition tape that they just sent all of the bloopers instead.

TAR is still a legitimately good show, but the casting has gone downhill a bit. Or the editing is more focused in inter-team dynamics rather than the intra-team dynamics that were interesting. The last really great season was TAR12 (TK/Rachel win over Ron/Christina and Nicholas/Donald), I think. TAR14 had an ok cast that the producers obviously loved.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2011
    Bumping this because of tonight's premiere, I'll abandon it if no one wants to talk about it afterwards.

enlightenedbum on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wooo! Amazing Race!! Didn't really start watching this show until season 15 (with the Globetrotters, so I am pumped to see them again) but I am really excited for this show tonight!!! It has become quite the family hit over here. Sunday nights are now Amazing Race nights.

quovadis13 on
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I adore Survivor, it's been my favourite show since the very first season. This thread revealed to me that this season is Rob vs Russell, which is kinda silly but should be entertaining. Neither are bound to make it to the merge

Also I want to quickly point out that Survivor and presumably TAR are not up to date in all countries of the world, so please please please don't post spoilers in the thread title like there has been done with other, unrelated threads in D&D. NZ is usually 2-3 months behind with Survivor and I think 6 months for TAR and there's nothing worse than having results spoiled. Thanks :)

*Avoids thread from here on in*

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    edited February 2011
    If you do come back, know that so far it seems like the rest of the cast of this Survivor isn't too bad. Two obnoxious people but... one is among the most unintentionally funny people ever so that's a plus.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2011
    Hey look, everyone mostly holds to form, except Jet and Cord against actual competition and not the batch of losers that were on their season.

enlightenedbum on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    See, I always liked the goths, or at least the half that I find hot. I'm not even sure who I'm going to root for. I mean, cute goth woman, professional screenwriter, and a guy with social issues? That's nearly all my interests and personality traits represented. If we had a team of professional gamers, I'd be screwed.

Oh, damn. Now I have this fantasy where Jerry and Mike ran the Race.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited February 2011
    Well that was pretty much the opposite result from what I wanted.

At least there are more teams I like in the lineup than ones I find annoying.

Aistan on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A lot of hate there for Russel in the OP, the series of Survivor I've watched with him in it have been some of the best and most interesting, he's just so god damn ruthless and has made some of the best plays I've seen in the game.

He just seems to be playing a different game, he sees the outwit, outlast and outplay the cores of survivor and therefore doesn't see anything wrong with his play style, then he's confused when he doesn't win.
    He neglects the social factor i.e. that people take getting voted out personally, betrayal tends to have that effect though, go figure.

I love the guy but i really didn't need to see him back again, I was surprised in the last series, he was in, that people trusted him so maybe this time he can pull something out of the bag again. Really though why wouldn't you just vote him out straight away?, easy target.

I haven't watched it yet btw, was trying to hold off till the series was over but I can't resist :(

atat23 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    atat23 wrote: »
    A lot of hate there for Russel in the OP, the series of Survivor I've watched with him in it have been some of the best and most interesting, he's just so god damn ruthless and has made some of the best plays I've seen in the game.

He just seems to be playing a different game, he sees the outwit, outlast and outplay the cores of survivor and therefore doesn't see anything wrong with his play style, then he's confused when he doesn't win.
    He neglects the social factor i.e. that people take getting voted out personally, betrayal tends to have that effect though, go figure.

I love the guy but i really didn't need to see him back again, I was surprised in the last series, he was in, that people trusted him so maybe this time he can pull something out of the bag again. Really though why wouldn't you just vote him out straight away?, easy target.

I haven't watched it yet btw, was trying to hold off till the series was over but I can't resist :(

The only reason his shtick worked twice in a row was because both his Survivor games were filmed back to back, and he essentially had two fresh groups to work with.

Now hopefully, one of two things will happen. Experiencing two humiliating losses in a row has made him grow a brain and change his playing style, or the other players, having hopefully watched the damn show they auditioned for, vote his ass off toot suite. Otherwise, I am going to facepalm so damn hard, and then laugh my ass off for the rest of the season.

Then again, maybe I'm hoping for too much. They sure do get a lot of morons on this show. Why do you audition for Survivor, and then not at least spend a weekend learning how to use a flint to make fire?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    atat23 wrote: »

The only reason his shtick worked twice in a row was because both his Survivor games were filmed back to back, and he essentially had two fresh groups to work with.

Now hopefully, one of two things will happen. Experiencing two humiliating losses in a row has made him grow a brain and change his playing style, or the other players, having hopefully watched the damn show they auditioned for, vote his ass off toot suite. Otherwise, I am going to facepalm so damn hard, and then laugh my ass off for the rest of the season.

Then again, maybe I'm hoping for too much. They sure do get a lot of morons on this show. Why do you audition for Survivor, and then not at least spend a weekend learning how to use a flint to make fire?

Unofficially, I've heard a lot of people don't really audition for the show. Instead, they are cast into it by production, then asked to send an "audition" tape. Most of these cast people have never watched the show before and just watch a few episodes before coming on the show.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily happy to see Rob and Russell back AGAIN, but I have to give them props for their gameplay: it usually makes for good TV. I loved the first episode of this season, but I was really sad to see Francesca go. She had a great personality and I was looking forward to more confessionals by her. Unfortunately, she was a casualty from Kristina's (way too early) aggressive gameplay. And Phillip's an idiot. I don't know if I believe he's a former federal agent. Even CBS writes it as: "Former Federal Agent?" with the question mark.

In any case, yay Survivor! I was a latecomer to the show: the first season I watched from beginning to end was Exile Island, with the surprising Cirie and crazy Shane. I got hooked on the show since then. I love the mix of physical and mental challenges with the manipulation and social gameplay. My favourite players are usually the ones that understand that there is a tactical aspect to the game and that plan and scheme. Players that rely on their physical prowess do not impress me (I'm looking at you, Terry from Exile Island).

physi_marc on
    3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
    edited February 2011
    1) Russell can never win a game of Survivor, therefore he is bad at the game. It's just true.
    2) The moves he claimed where the most important in his first season were voting off a slight annoying girl and a bossy older woman in the first two votes. Do you know how easy it is to vote off slight annoying girls and bossy older women early? So hard it happens almost every season unless there's a bossy older man.
    3) Natalie made the vital play in Samoa when they were down 8-4 she got the votes necessary to flip the game.
    4) She then used Russell as a scapegoat. If the show wasn't so desperate to play off the Russell is the greatest strategic mind ever storyline, people might have noticed this. Natalie was VERY good at Survivor, and I consider her one of the 8 or so best players ever.

And then in HvV, he's gone early if Tyson isn't an absolute moron who can't count. And then we get a very different season with far more interesting people. Sigh. Regardless, Parvati controlled his ass the whole game because he's a creepy, horny old man.

enlightenedbum on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the thing that most impressed me was that he had the wit to go and look for the hidden idols without the actual clues and then actually found more than one. Though I think they may have started putting them in obvious places after the first one, or else the idol hiders were just being too obvious.

It was something that really frustrated me in previous survivors, I probably wouldn't just assume there were hidden idols as some seasons haven't had them but as soon as Jeff handed out the first secret note to anyone I would be guessing it was a clue and been off searching myself.

1) Russell can never win a game of Survivor, therefore he is bad at the game. It's just true.

I was going to suggest we never say never, that maybe Russel has learned he needs someone else to take the fall for breaking promise and betrayals. But let's face it though he's too full of himself to let anyone else take the credit for his master plans. So it will mostly likely end with him shooting himself in the foot again.

For Rob and Russel isn't this really just for bragging rights to see who get's further, if either of them get to the merge without having to go the Exile island way, the other players are idiots.

atat23 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    These are my two favourite TV shows.

But by god the cowboys better not get eliminated from TAR in the first week.

815165 on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to see the Guys at survivor put the cast aways somewhere that isn't a tropical paradise.

Like Baffin island.

Gaddez on
    edited February 2011
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I want to see the Guys at survivor put the cast aways somewhere that isn't a tropical paradise.

Like Baffin island.

No chicks in bikinis, so this will never, ever happen.
    For Rob and Russel isn't this really just for bragging rights to see who get's further, if either of them get to the merge without having to go the Exile island way, the other players are idiots.

Not really, especially (sadly) in the case of Russell. If you take Russell to final tribal council, that is one player there who is not going to win.

enlightenedbum on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like watching Russell play the game but mostly it just makes me miss Yul even more.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    edited February 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    These are my two favourite TV shows.

But by god the cowboys better not get eliminated from TAR in the first week.

Well, technically they already didn't.

EmperorSeth on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the folks responsible for Survivor have managed to cast the most annoying person ever. Special Agent man needs to go...

oldmanken on
    edited February 2011
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I think the folks responsible for Survivor have managed to cast the most annoying person ever. Special Agent man needs to go...

Oh come on, he's a more ridiculous and entertaining if he goes away quickly Coach. And I find Russell considerably more annoying than him.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2011
    Rob really is a genius at small scale manipulation. I question his larger strategy in this particular situation though.

enlightenedbum on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ralph is pretty much my favorite guy ever.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
    edited February 2011
    Whatever happens I just hope Russell doesn't get his way in this coming situation. It would make his head even bigger, a thing I would not have thought possible.

Aistan on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He always puts himself into these bad situations and gets out of them on top, my favourite all time player for sure.

815165 on
    edited February 2011
    OK, Russell has exactly one skill, which is finding immunity idols. Except people are now stumbling across them accidentally, which means the producers are the reason he finds them so frequently. He's awful at this game.

enlightenedbum on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    DoomSong8 wrote: »
    Ralph is pretty much my favorite guy ever.

Ralph is the new Rupert.

Opium on
    edited February 2011
    Rupert was a sexist blowhard with rage issues.

Ralph seems way cooler than Rupert.

enlightenedbum on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, hey. I forgot the new seasons of Amazing Race and Survivor were running. Since I don't watch much TV, I guess it slipped my mind. Actually, I've kind of fallen out of favor of watching Survivor, missing the last season entirely. But I do appreciate the reminder coming from this thread for both shows...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2011
    Don't catch up, the last season was terrible. Of both shows really, but Survivor especially. Finally got a female-female TAR winner though.

enlightenedbum on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Skip the last Survivor, but WATCH THIS ONE.

Seriously, first two episodes have been awesome.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good move by Rob on this episode, but he may have slightly miscalculated the reaction. Still, excellent job bending people to his will, and even cowing Philip a little.

oldmanken on
    edited February 2011
    So it strikes me that the leg design here was basically designed to result in whoever got the last paper airplane being eliminated. Not sure if that's what happened obviously, but I don't see how the worst racers cast are going to survive.

And indeed it was. Lovely people, bad racers.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2011
    That chime noise they do every time a team says or does something correct is really fucking annoying.

Aistan on
    edited February 2011
    So it strikes me that the leg design here was basically designed to result in whoever got the last paper airplane being eliminated. Not sure if that's what happened obviously, but I don't see how the worst racers cast are going to survive.

And indeed it was. Lovely people, bad racers.

Nah. Amanda and Kris easily could have gotten on the first flight, but they squandered that lead. Admittedly, they only had that lead because the flights got reversed, but there were plenty of lead changes after that based on how much you screwed up the flag puzzle. They could have scored an early flight regardless.

EmperorSeth on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, upon reflection it wasn't quite as bad because one of the detour options was a joke (but it must have sounded really hard? I was shocked no one picked that). But still, I dislike the race creating a massive disadvantage and then having relatively few tasks to make it up. They did really well with the Sydney leg and it meant nothing as far as eliminations went. While Jet and Cord sucked at the one and not the other.

Not to say I disagree with bunching in all circumstances, because without it you get the situation Guido faced in the TAR1 finale which was an awesome cut, but it's better when all three teams have a shot. I do hate bunching between the last bunch (the two flights to Sydney, obviously) and the next elimination point though. At the very least, Jet and Cord should have been given a speed bump or ideally the U-Turn penalty themselves.

enlightenedbum on