As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Good Webcomic Thread About Good Webcomics

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    And some of those K-Pop girls are really, really attractive, and not just in a "looks like a teenage girl" way. More of a "damn, she's all woman" way.

Except 96% of all K-Pop singers are transsexuals

Opium on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Opium wrote: »
    And some of those K-Pop girls are really, really attractive, and not just in a "looks like a teenage girl" way. More of a "damn, she's all woman" way.

No, that's T-Pop.

jackal on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Opium wrote: »

Even if they were

There would be nothing wrong with that

(SERIOUS BUSINESS ITT)

Solar on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think an important point to note in that post from the creator of the show is that it's a show for kids to watch with their parents.

Kids. With parents.

When you're with a kid, it's understandable to get in their mindset. To relate to them, and see the world through their eyes. You're a great, empathetic parent/babysitter/sibling/whatever. Their wonderment and enthusiasm is infectious, you both get into it, a fun time is had by all. But if you're a man with no kids, sitting around watching what is clearly-and-fully-intended-to-be a kid's show by yourself, you're a man who is behaving like a child. You are a manchild. That is what that word means.

And saying "People like what they like" is arguably the most terrible justification of something ever. EVER.

cherry picking ridiculousness

the very same creator has herself said that people who say what is and is not okay for people to watch based on age or strict "you SHOULD like this" type rules are "a-holes"

yes, pooro

we get it

you don't like the show

super! that's great!

but likening it, even in passing, to lusting after an underage children's television show actor is a super dick move

people are allowed to like things out of their age or gender range
    stop being a prick

Raneados on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    but see i dont pretend kpop is anything deeper than it is, unlike the youtube comment that I didn't think to save that was really convinced that this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGvwy3qhjDM

was a subtly anti-consumerism thing

or the people who are saying that mlp is not for children

Gatsby wrote: »
    I think I mostly find the kpop thing more annoying than anything else, sometimes. Probably because when it first started there was about 10 straight pages of it in the YouTube thread.

starting the kpop thread is one of my worst foruming mistakes because it stopped this sort of thing

L|ama on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lust never factored into my criticism, not even in passing. Quit putting words in my mouth, you silly goose.

But seriously - if you find the term "manchild" to be a poor definition of a person, maybe said person shouldn't be a man behaving like and enjoying things designed for a child.

The term needn't be offensive if it's accurate.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's like complaining about being called a neckbeard when there is literally a beard on your neck

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's like complaining about being called a neckbeard when there is literally a beard on your neck

No it isn't

you were being a goose

Solar on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    no he wasn't

Beasteh on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    i think

it's time for me to stop being a manchild

and start being an adult

time to dvr ncis

crwth let's go watch some matlock

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lust never factored into my criticism, not even in passing. Quit putting words in my mouth, you silly goose.

But seriously - if you find the term "manchild" to be a poor definition of a person, maybe said person shouldn't be a man behaving like and enjoying things designed for a child.

The term needn't be offensive if it's accurate.

you talked about ogling the icarly girl in response to something crwth said in analog to the pony show, but sure, fair enough

and no, unfortunately "manchild" is derogatory", so you don't get to use the old dictionary definition escape clause because it's a derogatory word

you still get in trouble for calling smart kids nerds

you still get in trouble for calling gay people faggots

seriously the dictionary definition of the n word is QUITE LITERALLY "a black person."
    you can't just use "But that's what it means" as an excuse to use words

complaining and telling people "but that's what it means! Maybe they shouldn't act like that" isn't how you get better at society, it's how you justify being an asshole without having to admit you're being an asshole

Raneados on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that polar bear thing looks awesome.

Langly on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe we should all fuck the shut up.

And then talk about Squidbunny's comic, it's pretty awesome

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get the ponies thing either, but on its own watching the show wouldn't make you a manchild. It may be an action that contributes to being a manchild, but on its own would not be nearly enough. Someone who pays their bills on time, and works, and does all the other things responsible adults do, but also watch ponies isn't a manchild. If they live in their parents basement and don't work, and watch ponies then they are, but they would be without the ponies as well.

jackal on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    there's actually tons of competing companies and predictions, utahraptor, so we're going to have to work several jobs in parallel to make this dream - this future - a reality. you're gonna quit your job so we can laugh at silly dresses, okay?

comic2-1913.png

wait... scratch and sniff?

wait. wait!! do you want to go with "chicken fried chicken mascot chicken eating pieces of chicken fried chicken chicken"?

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    stop being a prick

Also, I'm gonna kinda call bullshit on this part right here.

Did I say they shouldn't be allowed to like it? No. I said it was creepy, which I think it is. And to say that there are no restrictions on what people should enjoy is silly goosery to the highest degree.

If a 40-year-old person, of any gender, spent their idle hours, alone, watching Teletubbies (a gender-neutral children's show), could we not all agree that that's super fucking creepy? Or a 30-year-old watching Baby Einstein cartoons, alone? How's about an elderly person who subscribes to Fred's YouTube channel?

Just because you feel that MLP falls somewhere in the "acceptable" range on your personal barometer doesn't mean that anything, anywhere, is normal for adults to watch.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If a 40-year-old person, of any gender, spent their idle hours, alone, watching Teletubbies (a gender-neutral children's show), could we not all agree that that's super fucking creepy?
    Teletubbies is just horrible. A better comparison would be Sesame Street, which a lot of normal grown man admit to enjoying.

Couscous on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    no he wasn't

that was never five minutes just now!

tynic on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MViking wrote: »
    If I was more sure she was over 18, I'd feel comfortable saying she was hot.

shes 24

edit: wait whoops, 23 (Ga In)

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    stop being a prick

Did I say they shouldn't be allowed to like it? No. I said it was creepy, which I think it is. And to say that there are no restrictions on what people should enjoy is silly goosery to the highest degree.

If a 40-year-old person, of any gender, spent their idle hours, alone, watching Teletubbies (a gender-neutral children's show), could we not all agree that that's super fucking creepy? Or a 30-year-old watching Baby Einstein cartoons, alone? How's about an elderly person who subscribes to Fred's YouTube channel?

Just because you feel that MLP falls somewhere in the "acceptable" range on your personal barometer doesn't mean that anything, anywhere, is normal for adults to watch.

there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference because both those shows are pandering and DIRECTLY aimed to kids, they're TODDLER and INFANT shows

FiM is not

it contains an extreme amount of more adult jokes and older references that kids won't get unless they've lived a certain amount of years

Fred's channel is not aimed at kids
    it's aimed at idiots

is Spongebob okay to watch?
    Adventure time?
    Chowder?
    Transformers?
    Regular Show?

all of these shows are aimed at children and pre-teens

Raneados on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why is that Polar Bear yellow?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    pony

chattinnnnn

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    you talked about ogling the icarly girl in response to something crwth said in analog to the pony show, but sure, fair enough

I used an anecdote about iCarly, referring to iCarly, in response to a post ABOUT iCarly.

Jesus, man. Quit reaching so hard, you'll pull something.

As for the rest of it - again, straw men all over the place. Manchild is only derogatory because men who behave like and have the tastes of a child find it offensive to be told that they are behaving like or have the taste of children. There's literally no other negative connotation to it.

The n-word has all sorts of extra baggage - centuries upon centuries of stereotypes and prejudices. Same with faggot. Comparing them, at all, to "manchild" is grossly irresponsible. "Manchild" has NO OTHER CONNOTATION than "a man who behaves like or has the taste of a child"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    MViking wrote: »
    If I was more sure she was over 18, I'd feel comfortable saying she was hot.

shes 24

And a total babe

Seriously that woman is one of the hottest women ever

It is insane how hot she is

Solar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why is that Polar Bear yellow?

Solar bear!

alternatively: pfft why not

Raneados on
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you must be thinking of the other hemingway the one that isnt a centuar its an easy mistake to make

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    niceglasses.png

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ponies are tearing us apaaaaaaaart.

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seeing as that's a C&H I'm surprised the kid didn't get fucked or aborted somehow

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that joke was better in Adventure Time

Langly on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    stop being a prick

there's a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference because both those shows are pandering and DIRECTLY aimed to kids, they're TODDLER and INFANT shows

FiM is not

it contains an extreme amount of more adult jokes and older references that kids won't get unless they've lived a certain amount of years

Fred's channel is not aimed at kids
    it's aimed at idiots

is Spongebob okay to watch?
    Adventure time?
    Chowder?
    Transformers?
    Regular Show?

all of these shows are aimed at children and pre-teens
    the best

Opium on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    he is the ghost of an aborted fetus that someone fucked

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I used an anecdote about iCarly, referring to iCarly, in response to a post ABOUT iCarly.

Jesus, man. Quit reaching so hard, you'll pull something.

As for the rest of it - again, straw men all over the place. Manchild is only derogatory because men who behave like and have the tastes of a child find it offensive to be told that they are behaving like or have the taste of children. There's literally no other negative connotation to it.

The n-word has all sorts of extra baggage - centuries upon centuries of stereotypes and prejudices. Same with faggot. Comparing them, at all, to "manchild" is grossly irresponsible. "Manchild" has NO OTHER CONNOTATION than "a man who behaves like or has the taste of a child"

I dunno, if you mention it alongside another discussion, I think you're at least trying to sway the line of thought but okay

no it's not a straw man because I'm not creating a position to attack, I'm attacking YOUR position and using examples of EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION to show you that it's not okay to judge people

again using the dictionary definition to try to escape a word's meaning

you can't weasel out of using derogatory words and then complain that the people you're using them against "shouldn't act like that"

manchild is derogatory

why can't you just let people enjoy this thing that you don't enjoy without trying to put them down or label them? They're not masturbating to ponies (most) or going out and dressing children out like ponies and trying to fuck them (again, most)

and even the word "manchild" is one of those derogatory words that has no gender neutral or gender opposite, it's specifically designed and created to attempt to mock a certain group of people to make others using it feel more adult and better about themselves and about what they watch

why can't they just be people that enjoy a cartoon?
    An extremely well-made cartoon, even!
    It's not overly pandering, and it's genuinely a decent piece of work

transformers
    a cartoon aimed at pre-teen boys

a 20-25-ish girl who enjoys transformers?

hey whatever who cares?
    some would even say "woah cool"

is she labeled because of it? maybe slightly, but there's no "manchild" label to stick on her, as it's not behavior most would deem wrong in any way

unlike a man the same age enjoying what is considered a girl's cartoon
    that's somehow bad
    he's a manchild, apparently, and you say it's his own fault for enjoying that cartoon

it's not the MOST hurtful word to use, but it is hurtful, it's a derogatory word and again, telling the people it's their fault for enjoying things you don't enjoy is not how an adult acts, that's how a child acts

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    you must be thinking of the other hemingway the one that isnt a centuar its an easy mistake to make

BERK I WAS SUPPOSED TO COME AWAY SMELLING LIKE ROSES

NOW I SMELL LIKE POOP

THANKS TO YOU

and: dang we talk about ponies a lot don't we
    I even leave for a few days on and off and you dudes still just talking about how much those people who watch kids' shows are worse than you

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    WHY is the word "manchild" derogatory

What, in exact terms, is offensive about it

Please, please tell me. You keep implying all these negative connotations, without actually saying what they are, and I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You know what I can't stand, that Raneados and Poorochondriac show

I mean, it's not like those characters are anything like real people

God, the writers need shot

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Please, please tell me. You keep implying all these negative connotations, without actually saying what they are, and I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about

What?

Being called a manchild suggests that you have the emotional maturity and capability of a child.

I assume you have met children before, and are aware that they are in fact known for their emotional immaturity and lack of capability.

It totally is an insult.

Solar on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011

It just sounds so icky

Like manbearpig

I just picture something half man, half child with the corresponding bodyparts whenever I read it (e.g. toddler head, hairy chest)

It's gross

Opium on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also also: Your list of other good kid's shows.

I'd say there's a difference between watching them every now and again, when drunk/bored/channel-surfing/high, and starting up fevered, multi-paged discussions of them. One's fine. A little weird, perhaps, but at least you've still got a grip on reality. The other shows an indulgence of and immersion in a fantasy world that is just creepy when you're an adult with real-world responsibilities.

The MLP obsession that's been abounding lately definitely falls into the latter category.

Poorochondriac on
This discussion has been closed.