As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Good Webcomic Thread About Good Webcomics

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WHY is the word "manchild" derogatory

What, in exact terms, is offensive about it

Please, please tell me. You keep implying all these negative connotations, without actually saying what they are, and I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about

it's insinuating that they act like children, that they are below you

same with neckbeard

or geek

or heck, even up until a few years ago, a "gamer"

etc

it creates a stereotypical image of a dude sans social skills, who sits alone in his parent's house, cheeto dust and fat rolls and blah blah blah blah, the whole gilded egg

it can also mean a man who frequently acts like a child, although the only time this is ever used is to reference peewee herman, whose life has no adult qualities and was, again, a character created FOR children

it's a way to tell people that you're better than they are, because they're a manchild, and you're an adult

Raneados on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »

Please, please tell me. You keep implying all these negative connotations, without actually saying what they are, and I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about

What?

Being called a manchild suggests that you have the emotional maturity and capability of a child. That is an insult.

Why, though? Kids are great. "Child-like innocence" is used as a positive phrase. "Child-like wonderment." The naivete of children is often wistfully recalled and longed for.

Poorochondriac on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this is how the world ends

this is how the world ends

not with webclormix, but with ponies.

Langly on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You two are such Pooros and Ranes

And yeah I know those are derogatory slurs, but I don't give a fuck

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    to think there's so much negativity about a show with such a positive message!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd say there's a difference between watching them every now and again, when drunk/bored/channel-surfing/high, and starting up fevered, multi-paged discussions of them. One's fine. A little weird, perhaps, but at least you've still got a grip on reality. The other shows an indulgence of and immersion in a fantasy world that is just creepy when you're an adult with real-world responsibilities.
    No shows' fans do this more than those of a little show called The Wire, though

A coworker of mine thinks of himself as urban sociologist ever since he got the full series boxset

It's super obnoxious

Opium on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait.

Have we been arguing about My Little Pony for, like, 7 pages?

Seriously?

To the people defending the fanbase: do you honestly think anything you say will change the minds of those who are so vehemently against it?

To the people attacking the fanbase: do you honestly think the fans will take anything you say seriously if your opening argument is, "You're all creepy manchildren for liking this show"?

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited February 2011
    Stilts wrote: »
    To the people attacking the fanbase: do you honestly think the fans will take anything you say seriously if you're opening argument is, "You're all creepy manchildren for liking this show"?

Yes.

Or they would, anyway, if they weren't such creepy manchildren.

Poorochondriac on
    edited February 2011
    my little pooro: posting is magic

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What?

Being called a manchild suggests that you have the emotional maturity and capability of a child. That is an insult.

Why, though? Kids are great. "Child-like innocence" is used as a positive phrase. "Child-like wonderment." The naivete of children is often wistfully recalled and longed for.

Kids are great. But they can't look after themselves and need an adult around to do so. Calling someone a manchild might suggest a sense of child-like innocence and wonder. It also suggests that said person is incapable of acting maturely and can't take care of him/herself.

But this isn't the point. The point is, you seem to think these people are somehow sad, immature losers because they like this show, just because hey, you don't, and it is also watched by kids.

But whatever.

Solar on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D:

It doesn't look like we are using the power of friendship in here!

Seriously on
    edited February 2011
    gu_20110216.jpg

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2011
    Kids are great. But they can't look after themselves and need an adult around to do so.

SaIrn.jpg

Opium on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also also: Your list of other good kid's shows.

I'd say there's a difference between watching them every now and again, when drunk/bored/channel-surfing/high, and starting up fevered, multi-paged discussions of them. One's fine. A little weird, perhaps, but at least you've still got a grip on reality. The other shows an indulgence of and immersion in a fantasy world that is just creepy when you're an adult with real-world responsibilities.

The MLP obsession that's been abounding lately definitely falls into the latter category.

you know that the MLP wouldn't have gone as far as it has without all the backlash it's gotten

it'd have been just another show, probably very similar to foster's

sure there are always people who take it to another level, but you cannot honestly sit there and believe that everything that's happened with mlp has gone on without regard to all the people shouting "But it's for GIRLS"

Pooro, again, it's just something that people like and that you don't like, if you've given it a chance, then that's fine

nobody said you have to like it as much as they do

the sigs and avatars and the discussions are appealing, it's another thing to talk about LIKE EVERYTHING THAT GETS TALKED ABOUT

the whole chan board dedicated to it? That's because they couldn't have it anywhere else without people going "but it's for GIRLS"

the pages and pages of thread we have here
    well
    1) ADURRRRR SE++ has big threads on EVERYTHING
    2) TONS of that is arguing related to "but it's for GIRLS"

a lot of the sigs and avatars are because they do look great, the art style is fantastic and clean and aesthetically pleasing
    plus
    a lot of the people wearing them have either gone with a motif, or a character theme, or are simply wearing them because people started going "but it's for GIRLS!"

check out the gloss threads
    did you even know what that was? look it up
    we've had like 15 threads over 2 years, and MORE and that's shared among like 10 regulars and the occasional single post from a score of others
    but most people go 'what's a gloss?"

why?
    because there's nobody screaming "But it's for GIRLS!"

Raneados on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think an adult person who does not watch my little pony is better than an adult who does, all other things equal

yes

L|ama on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    to think there's so much negativity about a show with such a positive message!
    Crwth, are we going to have to post moon over june to get this thread back on track?

I don't believe this comic has been posted, perhaps it won't have to come to that.
    2011-02-16-A-Demon-Of-Their-Own.png

Coinage on
  • MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So you're saying there's a backlash to the backlash about ponies?

Man, there's going to be some backlash about that?

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    In that case I think people with asian girl themes and punctuation in their name are one step up from fungus

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited February 2011
    i switch to incognito when i look at oglaf maybe a quarter of the time

I'm not quite sure why

L|ama on
    edited February 2011
    L|ama wrote: »
    I think an adult person who does not watch my little pony is better than an adult who does, all other things equal

yes

Pretty much where I'm at, yeah.

While idly musing, I've been wondering how many My Little Pony fans have ever had a 70-hour work week.

And sure, I know, there are plenty of other frivolous things that I could apply that exact same line of musing to. Hell, I could apply it to "people who post on internet forums." But that's where my musing is currently going.

Poorochondriac on
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You all are creepy manteenchildren for linking webcomics anyway.

So lets stop hating.

B_R on
    edited February 2011
    ok

1HISb.jpg

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited February 2011
    MViking wrote: »

"I wouldn't talk about eating poop so much if people didn't think poop-eating was so gross."
    My argument:
    Strawman.png

Poorochondriac on
    edited February 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    In that case I think people with asian girl themes and punctuation in their name are one step up from fungus

those people are so awful

not quite as bad as people who don't know that vertical bars aren't punctuation though

L|ama on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's also the camp who doesn't care whether it's technically a children's show or a show for girls and instead are arguing that this is a poor show when you remove the assumption that the viewer is a child.

BoomShake on
    edited February 2011

yes

While idly musing, I've been wondering how many My Little Pony fans have ever had a 70-hour work week.

And sure, I know, there are plenty of other frivolous things that I could apply that exact same line of musing to. Hell, I could apply it to "people who post on internet forums." But that's where my musing is currently going.

Pooro I am super disappointed in you and your judgmental attitude

you, of all people, should not be judging others

when I kidnap nads and make him my gaybride, you will not be invited :(

Raneados on
    edited February 2011
    God

I hate Moon over June so much

Just

Just look at it

It's horrible

Solar on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well crwth, I would have censored that a little more generously, but you have to post the one before that too. It doesn't even have nudity!
    KH5bv.jpg
    God

I hate Moon over June so much

Just

Just look at it

It's horrible
    We all do. It's the one thing that unites us.

Coinage on
    edited February 2011
    argh now people are posting moon over june in protest

what have we doooonnnne

Raneados on
    edited February 2011
    pffft

generous censoring

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited February 2011
    We have gone too far Rane

and now we will suffer for it

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Raneados wrote: »

yes

Why "of all people"

What even

What

Poorochondriac on
  • MVikingMViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh gods,

Moon over June.

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

MViking on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Raneados wrote: »

yes

Why "of all people"

What even

What

aren't you one of the gays?

or am I thinking of Cog

Raneados on
    edited February 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

those people are so awful

not quite as bad as people who don't know that vertical bars aren't punctuation though

Punctuation marks are any symbols that indicate the structure of written language, and that even applies to symbols used mainly for code or mathematics

You're terrible

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited February 2011
    rane just thinks everyone is gay

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    crwth why didnt you censor that better goddamnit

Squall on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was actually kind of surprised Rane got the pony bug

I read him as going the other way

I guess I need to lurk more

Seriously on
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    rane just thinks everyone is gay

hopes

hopes, dear boy

Raneados on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MViking wrote: »

"I wouldn't talk about eating poop so much if people didn't think poop-eating was so gross."
    My argument:
    Strawman.png

Okay, seriously.

Does everyone see this? If you're defending MLP, you can't actually come to a compromise with this person.

Just ignore him and talk about webomics already.

jm3rY.jpg

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.