As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    The /mensrights section is really depressing, because of both the stories posted there and the responses to them.

Oh, god.

Yeah, it's a strange juxtaposition.

*Article about sexism towards men*

Man that is fucked up.

*Comments full of ignorance and (I hate using this term but it applies here) male privilege*

Welp.

Yep, that pretty much sums up the men's rights movement.

Which seems rather strange, I mean.....except for very specific areas such as paternal rights, divorce proceedings, and being alone around young children, they have like....all the rights?

Criminal trials, specifically statutory rape, but pick just about any crime men serve longer sentences.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually Steve there is a number for the post service investigation folks who work on tampered mail. Its a federal offense so something most police probably don't deal with often.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Last I checked Chu is right in almost all combat sports. You have from light weight to ultra heavy weight style classes. Except I think Sumo is just one pool but you fight people at your level.

Well as much as hollywood and martial arts movies try to say the opposite. Most of the time in a major weight disparity the smaller guy is going to catch the god damn brunt of a beating. I mean think of it in the wild, elephant vs just about any other animal one on one means a win for the elephant.

Oh I full agree with this. Unless the guy is some sort of prodigy like Bruce Lee or is trained fighting someone untrained, if both have equal skill the bigger guy wins.

Yeah, its just a matter of being able to absorb punishment that the other person can not. And then in turn dishing out a beating, most of the time it would be a one sided fight, and if you've ever seen one of those, its not fucking pretty.

Factor into this the image of a woman being on the losing end and that just puts it into an uncomfortable place.

Exception: Muhammed Ali vs. George Foreman.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a Japanese friend who was in the Navy

so one day some big guy wants to start some shit. "Show me some karate," he says. So my friend takes a step back, gets into a fighting stance, takes measure of the guy by looking him up and down. "What are you gonna do?" "Just sit there for a minute..." The guy starts getting a bit nervous. "What are you doing?" "Hang on a sec!" Then the guy loses his nerve and is like "Forget it"

my friend doesn't know anything about martial arts at all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Actually Steve there is a number for the post service investigation folks who work on tampered mail. Its a federal offense so something most police probably don't deal with often.

And its a serious crime they don't fuck around with.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They really should release Hey Arnold on DVD. I would buy the hell out of that.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

Two professional boxers in the same weight class.

220 pounds to ali's 216 and a half.

Not very one sided size difference.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    They really should release Hey Arnold on DVD. I would buy the hell out of that.

they need to release a lot of things on DvD.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hooo boy. The morning caffine has worn off and I'm really starting to feel how late I was up last night. Curse you amazon in delivering those Warehouse 13 DVDs so promptly!

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

The girl is probably okay with it.

But the guy isn't, and his uncomfortableness should be valued just as much as a lady's

I have to disagree.

Which part do you disagree on?

I think a lot of his uncomfortableness is based on an unhealthy social model.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    Last I checked Chu is right in almost all combat sports. You have from light weight to ultra heavy weight style classes. Except I think Sumo is just one pool but you fight people at your level.

Well as much as hollywood and martial arts movies try to say the opposite. Most of the time in a major weight disparity the smaller guy is going to catch the god damn brunt of a beating. I mean think of it in the wild, elephant vs just about any other animal one on one means a win for the elephant.

there's some account i read by a member of shayetet thirteen (of flotilla fame), the israeli naval commando force

early in his krav training he was in a lesson about facing multiple unarmed opponents

and they're training for hours and sweaty and beat down

and he asks the instructor,

"what do i do if they're big"

and the instructor laughs in his face and walks away

I loved one of my instructors for this

he basically sat us down and said "if they're bigger and/or there's more of them then there are of you, you're going to lose."

smart man. made sure everyone knew to stay out of those situations but, if you're gonna be in one, the best way to take less of an ass whuppin'

well, i totally disagree that you're necessarily going down just because there are more of them

but the chances of you losing dramatically increase with a direct correlation re: their size

Organichu on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They do chase people down for it. It is one of those like 25 years in ass rape prison things.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh I full agree with this. Unless the guy is some sort of prodigy like Bruce Lee or is trained fighting someone untrained, if both have equal skill the bigger guy wins.

Yeah, its just a matter of being able to absorb punishment that the other person can not. And then in turn dishing out a beating, most of the time it would be a one sided fight, and if you've ever seen one of those, its not fucking pretty.

Factor into this the image of a woman being on the losing end and that just puts it into an uncomfortable place.

Um, those two were pretty equal in size.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Two professional boxers in the same weight class.

220 pounds to ali's 216 and a half.

Not very one sided size difference.

Huh

I thought Foreman was taller than wikipedia said he is.

Oh wells.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They do chase people down for it. It is one of those like 25 years in ass rape prison things.

Look man they don't call the post master a general for nothing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://random.bandcamp.com/album/mega-ran-10

Mega Man rap...it's actually pretty good.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

But the guy isn't, and his uncomfortableness should be valued just as much as a lady's

I have to disagree.

Do go on.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

Yes. But that doesn't mean he should be forced to do something that makes him uncomfortable anyway. That is what is meant by valuing his uncomfortableness.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The /mensrights section is really depressing, because of both the stories posted there and the responses to them.

Oh, god.

Man that is fucked up.

*Comments full of ignorance and (I hate using this term but it applies here) male privilege*

Welp.

Which seems rather strange, I mean.....except for very specific areas such as paternal rights, divorce proceedings, and being alone around young children, they have like....all the rights?

Criminal trials, specifically statutory rape, but pick just about any crime men serve longer sentences.

And a lot of it is more societal than legal. Being alone around young children was a given example, as well as domestic violence against men being more tolerated, the list goes on.

And these are all things that should be looked at. The idea is that there are negative stereotypes that men face as well.

The problem is that it quickly turns into a rabid "FUCK FEMINISM BITCHES BE LYING CUNTS" among some people. In this case, specifically groups of people that classify themselves as "men's rights" groups.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Look man they don't call the post master a general for nothing.

the-postman-cover-3.gif

Kagera on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good morning [chat].

I was bad and picked up MvC3 last night (but didn't play much because goddamn I was tired). Deadpool and Zero are pretty fun, need to find a 3rd for my team now...

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/17/the-5-browns-father-keith-scott-brown-pleads-guilty-sexual-abuse-daughters-sodomy-life-sentence-prison/

Horrible, but honestly this group should have been called the 5 heads, because god damn thats some forehead.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

Yes. But that doesn't mean he should be forced to do something that makes him uncomfortable anyway. That is what is meant by valuing his uncomfortableness.

I'm not going to respect him for it. The reason he's uncomfortable is his own problem, and he should learn to deal with it. That's my problem with his little pantomime.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And a lot of it is more societal than legal. Being alone around young children was a given example, as well as domestic violence against men being more tolerated, the list goes on.

And these are all things that should be looked at. The idea is that there are negative stereotypes that men face as well.

The problem is that it quickly turns into a rabid "FUCK FEMINISM BITCHES BE LYING CUNTS" among some people. In this case, specifically groups of people that classify themselves as "men's rights" groups.

Yes but the issue is that people hand wave over the discrepency in sentencing, by going "Man mens rights groups are crazy." And that makes it ok that dudes serve more time for the same offense? ok...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    his discomfort is his problem

I should remember that

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

I'm not going to respect him for it. The reason he's uncomfortable is his own problem, and he should learn to deal with it. That's my problem with his little pantomime.

oh man wtf

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yes but the issue is that people hand wave over the discrepency in sentencing, by going "Man mens rights groups are crazy." And that makes it ok that dudes serve more time for the same offense? ok...

People don't handwave over it.

The issue is that it's just another manifestation of patriarchal values.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

i'd be sympathetic to a female cheerleader who didn't want to be handled by a male cheerleader for whatever reason.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Respectfully bowing out of a match because he was uncomfortable with the idea of going through with it. What a twat that guy is.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah I'm not saying that's okay. I'm saying after spending a little bit of time reading some stuff in a men's rights group, I can see why it has trouble getting any ground.

It is fucked up and something that should be looked at. I was just saying there was a back and forth of emotions, where I would see some fucked up examples of sexism towards men, followed by a bunch of sexism flung the other way in response.

That's all I was talking about, is that weird counter-productive environment. You see it in more extreme feminism as well. It's not unique, it's just something I hadn't encountered in such a concentrated dosage before.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i'd be sympathetic to a female cheerleader who didn't want to be handled by a male cheerleader for whatever reason.

Deal-with-it-Shepard.jpg

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have to disagree.

There are days when you sound just like the right-wing bigots you rail against.

Tell him to get sand out of his vagina as well.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Respectfully bowing out of a match because he was uncomfortable with the idea of going through with it. What a twat that guy is.

Yeah he even respected their accomplishments, what a bastard lets string him up!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    her discomfort; her problem

gonna use that one next time those nazis nag me about keeping my hands to myself on the subway

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    like, i would not choke out a girl my size in competition (unless she gave me lip)

whatever that makes me, fine

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

oh man wtf

He's trying to weasel out of the fact that he feels like he shouldn't have to compete against a girl. Never mind that she met the exact same fucking standard to get there as he did.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    like, i would not choke out a girl my size in competition (unless she gave me lip)

whatever that makes me, fine

Man up you pussy!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kagera on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh, god.

Man that is fucked up.

Welp.

Well, there are ways in which men get shafted, like the lack of resources for male victims of abuse.

There are also ways in which men and women both get the short shrift, like difficulty getting parental leave.

And then there are ways in which men sometimes get fucked over but there's no good way to fix them without fucking women over a hell of a lot more, like the lack of options for men if a woman decides she wants to have a baby that the man doesn't want.

And then there are ways in which men perceive women as having power that they don't, like when Nice Guys(tm) look at their personal disempowerment and generalize it to all women and say things like "women have all the power in sexual relationships."

And then there are aspects of female empowerment that some men get frightened by, like how women in positions of power are more likely to be perceived as being aggressive even when they act exactly the same way as a man.

What happens in almost every 'men's rights' discussion almost anywhere on the Internet (at least in my experience) is that somebody will start talking about the first thing and then somebody else will start to talk about the second thing from a uniquely male perspective and then somebody comes in on one of the other things and then it just sort of all goes to shit and it becomes obvious that some men won't be satisfied until every woman everywhere has been completely stripped of any ability to be threatening in any way whatsoever.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

As someone who the men's rights groups in theory speak in favor of, I assure you that the vast majority of them are crazy. I do my best to try to move DV away from being a gender issue because of them. If they had any fucking interest in actually helping, I'd tolerate them. But being used as a weapon in some war with feminists gets fucking old.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.