As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How did you play? [Nostalgia Thread]

Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
gray1.jpg
Hey guys,

I was doing some cleaning up and came upon some of my old childhood toys; I still have a banged-up but well loved old Voltron, some Masters of the Universe, Ninja Turtles and the like, and I started reminiscing about the the adventures we had together.

Now I realize that there might be a gloss of nostalgia showing through here, but I began to marvel at the complex storylines that my child-mind would come up with during my sessions of play. Allow me to give you an example:

As a child, I had a He-Man action figure, I even had Snake Mountain (complete with faux-voice modulation microphone) but my parents never saw fit to get me a Skeletor Action Figure. During play, I used to have to make up scenarios explaining why Skeletor was never around when He-Man and his friends came to free the world of his tyranny. Beast-Man and Tri-clops were usually stuck squabbling about who would be responsible for leading the green army men that they had summoned to take down He-Man and friends.

Here's another example of my child imagination at work:

My parents, at one point, had bought me a large denim drawstring bag full of marbles. Large ones and small, of all types. I was never much of a marble player, but play I did, in a much different way.

I had segregated my marbles into two separate groups: The Catseyes and the Mutants. Note that I was 6 or 7 at the very most, and had never heard of the X-Men. I remember very clearly the setting I had invented. The Catseyes were a group of ultra-conformist ubermen, who outnumbered the mutants and had cast them out for being "different", while the Mutants were varying colors and patterns, each with a unique personality and some I had even named. I played out the Mutants' struggles to eke out an existance within fascict Catseye-land. I distincly recall one marble, which was milky white with streaks of cocoa that ressembled vanilla-fudge ice cream, who I had, for whatever reason, decided would become the leader of the Mutants. I named this marble "Choco" (I wasn't THAT imaginative). One day, this marble actually broke in half in my bag... I actually recall playing out a scene where the Mutants and Catseyes put aside their differences temporarily to honor the fallen freedom fighter.

Surely I can't be the only one here who has vivid memories of crazy or imaginative ways they would play with their toys. Share yours here!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
Romantic Undead on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Incredible Crash Dummies were big at my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMDPnf89Ef4&feature=related

I always wanted to collect more of the Hot Wheels Crack Ups cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEMPErsYbA

These toys were the only destructive ones allowed growing up since my parents placed a ban on toys with guns and violent looking weapons. No GI Joes or plastic army men. Squirt guns had to be neon in color. Though I was able to convince the 'rents that the Dino Riders toys (plastic dinosaurs with detachable laser guns strapped to their backs) were okay.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recall Solid Snake having many an epic battle against Hollywood Hulk Hogan and Will Smith from Independence Day.

Going back further, though...

So, being a girl, naturally I got gifted a lot of Barbies when I was younger. Except I have two older brothers who always had way cooler toys. Fuck girl toys. I want Transformers and Lego. One day I decided enough was enough. There was this Fisher-Price kitchen play set thing set up in the basement where all my toys were and it had this little table on the side. So I grabbed my barbies by the legs and WHAM! Slammed them head-first onto the edge of the table and popped their heads off. I did this to all of them, one by one.

I think later I fixed one Ken and one Barbie because they were supposed to be the President and First Lady. And then I killed them with my Independence Day alien action figure (I really liked that movie as a kid for some reason).

Ah, what else... I went through a phase where I played with plasticene(?) a lot. I had a big tub of it. I'd take pieces of it and attach it to my action figures to change the characters. Like, I'd make them hats and beards and stuff or turn them into aliens.

Oh, one time me and my brother made a wrestling ring out of lego and then tried to piece together the lego men to be accurate representations of WWF wrestlers. I do believe I still have that tub of lego under my bed... And my Solid Snake action figure... And a couple Beasties transformers kicking around somewhere.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know the names of the toys I'm thinking of, I actually thought it was them in the OP but it's not.

it was a pirate set I had with a boat and pirate figures and also I guess navy figures.

and then a castle set with two separate armies you could play with.

those things were so much fun.

I also had megaman action figures at one point that I played the hell out of

edit - oh yeah! my cousins had wrestling figures and a WWF ring. so cool

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You don't see too many collectible action figure series these days. Monster in My Pocket. Z-Bots. Micro Machines. Muscle Men. Did anyone actually amass all these doodads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqquIzrRQQI&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    i didn't really have a lot of toys

i was mostly into guns and piano

i sometimes played with my older brother's toys, though

the only one i really remember is the action figure for Hicks, from alien

Organichu on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had tons of GI Joe stuff as a kid (and am sad that my parents evicted them from the house in a garage sale).

I always wanted one of those transformer sets that combined into a larger robot (like the constructicons). I managed to get one or two pieces, but never a full set.

HOWEVER, I did get a Go-Bot one that was similar, made from 5-6 cars. It was crap, wouldn't stay together, and there was no variety between the parts.

Nothing beat the 80s for cartoons designed to sell toys. There were 100 different attempts at action figure lines and each and every one had a cartoon to go with them.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z-Bots were the shit!

4359582455_d7c5251a57.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just had an assload of legos from which I built iterations beyond counting of fictional spaceships, moon bases, lunar rovers, and very rarely underwater equivalents of these.

I also played around with Estes rockets a bit; I had one that would take a grainy little photo at its apogee that I used for a science fair project.

Oh, and funnoodles! Man, my friends and I staged many wars with those things (and with nerf guns and occasionally water guns). I also remember this flying/thrown toy called an Aerobie that was more or less triangular and would return to you when thrown. I was never allowed to play with the damn thing because it took about one throw to get it hopelessly lost in a tree or worse every goddamn time.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TMNT, X-Men, and Power Rangers action figures (in that order). After Power Rangers came the Overpower card game and video games. Never did much with the action figures aside from looking at them and sorting them. I don't know why, but I was always finding new ways to sort them.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Legos legos legos. Sore fingers, questionable architecture, and blinding pain when you step on one.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    4537939888_856977dae7.jpg

I had this. Or I should, say, still have this, one day my kids will play with it. It actively encouraged you to crash things together. It was the best toy of all time.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Construx. I used to build stuff with them as much as, if not more than, with Lego.

construx%2001.jpg

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know what toys I loved that I was just thinking about the other day? Battletech. Walking mechs that fit an action figure inside with plastic missiles you could shoot across the room at your friends' battletech mechs (or occasionally, because I was an 8 year old boy, the cat). And they were designed so that if anything hit the big button on the mech's dick, the cockpit flies off, shoots your action figure out, and a little plastic flame shoots up where the cockpit was. Silly spot for a weakpoint that was the source of much humor among us.

I had this one:

3923491800_11e69f373c.jpg

edit: and a pic of the cockpit flying off:

1585-6.jpg

We actually had a whole set of rules for playing with these. It was like Warhammer 40K for kids.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I was very young, my parents mostly bought me girly-type toys: My Little Ponies, Cabbage Patch Kids, one year my sister and I shared the She-Ra pink crystal castle for Christmas. But by the time I was six or seven, I was having none of that poncy prissy shit, and rather than make me miserable by trying to force Barbies on me, my parents just shrugged and smiled and started buying me the awesome boy stuff I wanted.

I was never really into action figures, but I fucking loved Lego and Micro Machines. In fact, the first toy I ever bought myself - it cost $18.97, I had to save my paper route money for a month, and it took a week to order it through Consumers Distributing - was this bad boy right here:
    6075-1.jpg
    That's right, Wolfpack Tower. Complete with no less than three swarthy, villainous-looking Wolfpack soldier minifigs, a wicked crossbow, a treasure chest filled with gold coins, a slate-grey hunting falcon, an assortment of melee weapons, and a goddamned ghost. The real glories, though, were the massive sets I got at Christmas every year. I had the Black Knight's Castle, and the Fire-Breathing Fortress, plus a host of lesser castles. I had the valiant Imperial Flagship, and the dreaded Black Seas Barracuda. I even had a few sets from other themes, which I gleefully cannibalized for unique heads to give to my medieval warriors.

I was kind of funny in how I played with Lego, though. I liked building each set when I got it, but I wasn't into breaking them down and combining them into new, original Frankencastles: I just followed the directions, then when it was done, I left it alone. Instead, I just used them all as stages for the dramas I acted out with the minifigs, starring such characters as Boromir the red-haired Viking dragonlord, Artos the grim, dark-beared Roman-Celtic warchief, and Milton Fuzzy, the talking horse.

I did the same thing with my Micro Machines. I had a ton of the Travel City sets - bridge, carwash, hospital, marina air base, motel, rock quarry, suburban house - and I would set them all up, then let my Micro Machines have grand adventures on them. Every one of those tiny little cars had its own name and personality, from Jason, the good-natured teenaged dump truck, to the retired 1930s hotrod Bonfire and his wife Mona.

And my parents wondered why I didn't spend much time hanging out with other kids. Ha. With awesome imaginary friends like those, who on earth would want the company of common humans?

I was such a lonely little girl.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    a00968_L.jpg

The CORPS figures were basically knock-off GI Joes, but were cheap (4 packs were $5) and had amazing articulation. Rubberbands inside the joints with hooks and such.

I loved these guys.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand what little girls do with Barbie dolls. You dress one up, you switch through the accessories, you have pretend conversations through Barbie with the other toys ... and then you're bored with it. You can have all kinds of adventures with Lego sets and Micro Machines but what the hell can you do with a Barbie? Brush its hair for the fiftieth time?

Girls are weird.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I don't understand what little girls do with Barbie dolls. You dress one up, you switch through the accessories, you have pretend conversations through Barbie with the other toys ... and then you're bored with it. You can have all kinds of adventures with Lego sets and Micro Machines but what the hell can you do with a Barbie? Brush its hair for the fiftieth time?

Girls are weird.
    I have two sisters. They and their friends had some of the most fucked up "adventures" with Barbies, I'd hear them playing in their rooms. It was like a soap opera or something, betrayals, cheating, murder... They'd do all the voices, yell and scream in-character.

In short, little girls are disturbing when they play.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Was Monsters in my Pocket the one that came in those dissolvable black bags or was that another one? And if it was, what toy was it?

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    Was Monsters in my Pocket the one that came in those dissolvable black bags or was that another one? And if it was, what toy was it?

Monster in My Pocket were soft, rubbery Muscle Men.

Dissolving bags? Doctor Dreadful playset?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    Construx. I used to build stuff with them as much as, if not more than, with Lego.

[IMG*]http://www.fnordinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/construx%2001.jpg[/IMG]

Oh my god, yes! That's what they were called!

My brothers had a big bucket of these. I used to build awesome tanks and trucks out of them. One time I built a recycling plant. It was just a vaguely sci-fi ish looking building so I don't really know what made it a recycling plant other than I said it was.

edit: aaah, Doctor Dreadful! I still have a box of it up in my closet I think.

Oh, and does anyone remember that game Siege? You got to catapult orange plastic balls at a cool looking castle. Don't think I ever actually played a legit game of it. I just played out crazy battles on my own.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I do miss the Lego of the 80s, I had a bunch of the "town" series, the gas station, fire station, airport... I actually made them into a diorama once, the plane that came with the airport crashed into the gas station and the firemen were putting it out. I had headless and legless Legomen all over the place.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I do miss the Lego of the 80s, I had a bunch of the "town" series, the gas station, fire station, airport... I actually made them into a diorama once, the plane that came with the airport crashed into the gas station and the firemen were putting it out. I had headless and legless Legomen all over the place.

I had one lego set that I have never been able to find again, or even find a picture of.

It was a decent sized box, I'd say maybe a foot by 8 inches by 5 inches, and it could make a gas station, a car, a pickup truck, and a really really big truck that took the entire set. I want to say the general color scheme of the box/pieces was green and white, but can't quite recall.

I know this was an official lego set, not one of the knockoffs, but even after spending an hour delving Lego Lists, I haven't been able to find it again.

Edit: And it wasn't the Octan Gas Station set, but it looked a lot like that... Or else, if it was, nothing on the internet mentions that there was a guide in the booklet with it to build a truck instead of a gas station with all the parts.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No. They were monster like things, but you didn't know which one you were getting. You had to put the bag they came in under water, it would dissolve and reveal your toy. They sold them at Toys R Us and presumable other places. Late 80s early 90s maybe.

Invisible on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Girls are weird.

My barbies were...well...let me start by saying I had a ton of toys. My barbies got special treatment though, as I'd cut their hair off, pierce their faces, make them naked, give them sex changes, dye their hair, make them LGBT oriented (without having consciously known LGBT people at those ages so everything came from my mind), and also have my personal fucked up soap operas (that would make BANK, let me tell you).

I was weird with my toys, but thoroughly entertained. It was more exciting to me because I'd have them do "boy" stuff too like blow shit up, but it wasn't the same thing every time I pulled them out.

Mim on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    No. They were monster like things, but you didn't know which one you were getting. You had to put the bag they came in under water, it would dissolve and reveal your toy. They sold them at Toys R Us and presumable other places. Late 80s early 90s maybe.
    4ec0_1.JPG?set_id=800005007

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mim wrote: »

Girls are weird.

My barbies were...well...let me start by saying I had a ton of toys. My barbies got special treatment though, as I'd cut their hair off, pierce their faces, make them naked, give them sex changes, dye their hair, make them LGBT oriented (without having consciously known LGBT people at those ages so everything came from my mind), and also have my personal fucked up soap operas (that would make BANK, let me tell you).

I was weird with my toys, but thoroughly entertained. It was more exciting to me because I'd have them do "boy" stuff too like blow shit up, but it wasn't the same thing every time I pulled them out.

This leads me to believe little girls want Barbie dolls for their birthdays because they think they're supposed to like Barbie dolls. The Pink Aisle has hypnotized a whole gender. What little girls really want is a Barbie doll with a green mohawk and kung-fu kick action who solves grisly murder mysteries and drives a MONSTER TRUCK!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Z-Bots were the shit!

There is not enough love in the world to express how much I love Z-Bots.

When I was a kid, I had this huge intricate storyline going on, where one faction of the bots was always trying to grab the resources of the others. Different rooms were consistent locations, and the factions would vary on who controlled what. Each Z-Bot also had a power or specialty that made them unique. I remember when Burger King had Z-Bots as toys, I freaked the hell out.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Z-Bots were the shit!

There is not enough love in the world to express how much I love Z-Bots.

When I was a kid, I had this huge intricate storyline going on, where one faction of the bots was always trying to grab the resources of the others. Different rooms were consistent locations, and the factions would vary on who controlled what. Each Z-Bot also had a power or specialty that made them unique. I remember when Burger King had Z-Bots as toys, I freaked the hell out.

Z-bots were indeed the shit and anyone who says otherwise is challenged to fisitcuffs at dawn.
    However even as a kid despite having them all I didn't know the "story" behind them. Obviously there must've been good bots and bad bots, but I decided who were the good guys based on which ones I liked more.
    Edit. looking on wikipedia it seems that each robot had either a Z or V on them to show whether they were good (Z) or evil (v) this never occured to me. I thought they were just random markings.
    and I missed out on two whole series of them (the last two) :(

GaryO on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just used the Z and V as starting points. The main hero of my 'good guys' was a V who had decided to become a hero.

Kids imaginations are way better than the package story.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand what little girls do with Barbie dolls. You dress one up, you switch through the accessories, you have pretend conversations through Barbie with the other toys ... and then you're bored with it. You can have all kinds of adventures with Lego sets and Micro Machines but what the hell can you do with a Barbie?

Have the Masters of the Universe and the Thundercats sacrifice it to the Giant Stuffed White Tiger God to calm its wrath, allowing Evilyn and Cheetara to cross through its domain of Dark Closet Caverns to reach the Great Carpet Ocean, meet up with the Legoship Pirates, sail to the Piled Pillow Isle to meet the Dinosaur Oracle who gives them the secret to slaying the Dread Mohawked Punk Popple of Sheet-Thrown-Over-Pile-of-Junk Mountain.

Pretty much the only action my one barbie doll saw anyhow.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

http://www.fnordinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/construx%2001.jpg

OMG! I had tonnes of these, along with Lego, and another building toy called Legions of Power. I made a 3 ft long starship out of Construx. It wasn't very...structurally sound though. It would flex when you picked it up.
    Consumers Distributing

Oh god, two words that instantly bring me back to childhood.

:^:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a plane that when you rolled it on the floor the pilot would pop out, slide down the wing, and spin like a top. I loved that thing.

Also, Duplo, Legos, lincoln logs, and bristle blocks. I would build towers out of them, then build a ramp out of books and cardboard, and run my hot wheels up them and crash them into them to knock them down and break them. I think my mom worried about me.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    construx%2001.jpg

Holy. Shit.

I loved this stuff! I ended up giving mine away, but it remains one of my favourite toys. If I ever have kids, I don't care how much it costs on ebay, they're getting Construx.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I couldn't stand Construx. My brother had some, but we both considered them to be more-or-less shitty legos. You couldn't really make anything that seemed solid with them; it was just frames or skeletons of things.

Also, there were no little mans or computer consoles to set them in front of.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No guys? I had a guy that came with a a parachute!

And there were panels that made them less skeletal. The bare bones systems weren't necessarily great, but the space themed stuff was badass.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mighty Max. So much Mighty Max.

How can you not love toys that look like this when closed:
    tumblr_kyrued5SXQ1qb2y5yo1_500.jpg

And this when open:
    Temple_of_Venom_(Open).jpg

I also had a bunch of those weird troll things. I'd line up all my miscellaneous action figure toys I'd bought from various charity shops into fairly arbitrary teams, and have them battle mano a mano.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I don't understand what little girls do with Barbie dolls. You dress one up, you switch through the accessories, you have pretend conversations through Barbie with the other toys ... and then you're bored with it. You can have all kinds of adventures with Lego sets and Micro Machines but what the hell can you do with a Barbie?

Have the Masters of the Universe and the Thundercats sacrifice it to the Giant Stuffed White Tiger God to calm its wrath, allowing Evilyn and Cheetara to cross through its domain of Dark Closet Caverns to reach the Great Carpet Ocean, meet up with the Legoship Pirates, sail to the Piled Pillow Isle to meet the Dinosaur Oracle who gives them the secret to slaying the Dread Mohawked Punk Popple of Sheet-Thrown-Over-Pile-of-Junk Mountain.

Pretty much the only action my one barbie doll saw anyhow.

So much win!

I wanna hear more stories like these!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Z-Bots were the shit!

aww man I had that! i forgot all about it until now

but when I was reaaallly young (like before 1990) I had these awesome dinosaur toys that were like to scale with normal sized action figures. I know every little boy loves dinosaurs, but some of my first correctly pronounced words were dinosaur names

anyway, this guy was part of the set
    collectible-30064.jpg?1266953649

but I don't know what the set is called

Joolander on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

construx%2001.jpg

Hey look at that, I had that set too.

Those little hemispheres glowed in the dark, too, didn't they?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I was very young, my parents mostly bought me girly-type toys: My Little Ponies, Cabbage Patch Kids, one year my sister and I shared the She-Ra pink crystal castle for Christmas. But by the time I was six or seven, I was having none of that poncy prissy shit, and rather than make me miserable by trying to force Barbies on me, my parents just shrugged and smiled and started buying me the awesome boy stuff I wanted.

I was never really into action figures, but I fucking loved Lego and Micro Machines. In fact, the first toy I ever bought myself - it cost $18.97, I had to save my paper route money for a month, and it took a week to order it through Consumers Distributing - was this bad boy right here:
    6075-1.jpg
    That's right, Wolfpack Tower. Complete with no less than three swarthy, villainous-looking Wolfpack soldier minifigs, a wicked crossbow, a treasure chest filled with gold coins, a slate-grey hunting falcon, an assortment of melee weapons, and a goddamned ghost. The real glories, though, were the massive sets I got at Christmas every year.
    I had the Black Knight's Castle, and the Fire-Breathing Fortress, plus a host of lesser castles. I had the valiant Imperial Flagship, and the dreaded Black Seas Barracuda. I even had a few sets from other themes, which I gleefully cannibalized for unique heads to give to my medieval warriors.

I was kind of funny in how I played with Lego, though. I liked building each set when I got it, but I wasn't into breaking them down and combining them into new, original Frankencastles: I just followed the directions, then when it was done, I left it alone. Instead, I just used them all as stages for the dramas I acted out with the minifigs, starring such characters as Boromir the red-haired Viking dragonlord, Artos the grim, dark-beared Roman-Celtic warchief, and Milton Fuzzy, the talking horse.

I did the same thing with my Micro Machines. I had a ton of the Travel City sets - bridge, carwash, hospital, marina air base, motel, rock quarry, suburban house - and I would set them all up, then let my Micro Machines have grand adventures on them. Every one of those tiny little cars had its own name and personality, from Jason, the good-natured teenaged dump truck, to the retired 1930s hotrod Bonfire and his wife Mona.

And my parents wondered why I didn't spend much time hanging out with other kids. Ha. With awesome imaginary friends like those, who on earth would want the company of common humans?

I was such a lonely little girl.

Things following those links taught me:

They are releasing a kit for The Queen Anne's Revenge

They are also releasing one for The Black Pearl

I am going to buy the shit out of those

HappylilElf on