As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG:BG] Exodus Game 01 - Game Over

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1 card for alot :twisted:

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1 card for alot :twisted:

Well, that can't be good...

Capfalcon on
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kat? Cally?

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tough decision on the second card I'm forced to play into the check. Once admiral Ender fixes his erroneous contribution I'll make my decision.

Sorry to hold things up, but you know... the whole "pass or death" thing...

El Skid on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    0 cards

Sorry for the delay; busy today.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011
    2 cards, for a lot. No helping it I guess...

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    Diorinix wrote: »
    Word of caution fellow Capricans...don't over-commit to this check ;)

Skid, I hope you took my advice....

2 cards

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited February 2011
    No, not really :P

It was totally impossible for me to help a little though, so I made the call. At least we'll pass the check...

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    I hope so, because I've made a play that may or may not nullify the toaster's card, but I certainly don't want to do the same to either of yours.

We shall see shortly...

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited February 2011
    This game is such a trainwreck...It'd be beautiful to behold if I weren't strapped to the front of the train.

El Skid on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    El Skid wrote: »
    This game is such a trainwreck...It'd be beautiful to behold if I weren't strapped to the front of the train.

Choo Choo!
    epicbsgwin.png

Capfalcon on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turn 26: Tory Foster (Diorinix)

Crisis Step: Network Computers

Current Player Tory Foster (Diorinix) must choose:
    A) Skill Check [11] Politics + Tactics + Engineering
    Pass: Increase the Jump Preparation track by 1.
    Fail: -1 Population and place 1 centurion marker at the start of the Boarding Party track.
    OR
    B) -1 population and decrease the Jump Preparation track by 1.

After Crisis: Activate Raiders, Advance Jump Preparation

Tory Foster's disadvantage requires that Option A be taken, triggering the Skill Check.

Skill Check Contributions
    Destiny Deck: 2 cards
    Galen Tyrol (Gene Parmesan): 0 cards
    Gaius Baltar (Capfalcon): 0 cards
    "Caprica" Six (Tenek): 1 card
    Saul Tigh (Void Slayer): 1 card
    Callandra "Cally" Tyrol (El Skid): 2 cards
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (The Ender): 0 cards
    Tory Foster (Diorinix): 2 cards

Skill Check Result
    Politics 0 - Red Tape
    Politics 3 - Investigative Committee
    Politics 5 - Investigative Committee

Tactics 3 - Strategic Planning
    Tactics 6 - Scout for Fuel

Engineering 1 - Repair

Piloting 0 - Protect the Fleet
    Piloting 2 - Evasive Maneuvers

Red Tape causes all cards of strength 5 and 6 to be discarded from the check.

(3 + 3 + 1) - 2 = 5, Fail. -1 Population; a centurion is placed at the start of the Boarding Track.

The fleet engineers try networking all their computing resources in a last-ditch effort to counter the Cylon's jamming efforts. When the task is complete, however, the cylons' virus takes on a new form. Computers all over the fleet freeze up, unresponsive to commands, and with them, the Colonial ships themselves. Only darkness follows.

The population resource has been dropped to 0. Tenek reveals his Cylon Agenda: Grant Mercy. He has failed to fulfill his win condition.
    The humans have won AND Population, morale, or food is 2 or lower.
    Capfalcon reveals his loyalty card as an unrevealed Cylon player: You Are a Cylon: Can Place a Centurion Token on the Boarding Party Track
    Action: Reveal this card. If you are not in the "Brig",you may place a centurion token at the start of the Boarding Party track.

Cylon Victory has been achieved on Turn 26, due to depletion of the Population resource!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow. Red Tape strikes again.

Good game all.

Tenek on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, god damn, Red Tape is just the worst card. I think it must have hosed you guys a half dozen times in this game.

Edit: I call dibs on a spot in your next game, MrBlarney, in case you should be about to run one.

Rius on
    edited February 2011
    Congratulations to president toaster and former-admiral toaster!

And thanks to Mr. B for running the game!

Soooo much pain

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    Edit: I call dibs on a spot in your next game, MrBlarney, in case you should be about to run one.

I will probably run another game starting next week. 5 players, everything included. You're still going to have to fight for a spot, and by fight I mean pray to the RNG. (I probably won't be taking anyone who is already playing/has played an Exodus game.)

I'll see about putting together an animated game gif later today or tonight. I also recorded a few sparse notes over the course of the game, maybe I can reconstruct them into something understandable. Hopefully nobody minds some secrets being revealed...?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2011
    Go for it, Mr. B!

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    I don't mind praying to the RNG, heh. Just five players is probably a good idea, too; faster rounds and more turns per person.

Rius on
    edited February 2011
    Ugh...I was going back and forth over whether or not to include red tape in that check, hoping that folks would catch the "don't overcommit" reference I was making. I really didn't want to be hosed by an at any cost, or run interference.

I will second the comment that red tape is one of the worst new skill cards, unless used in the hands of a cylon. I will know for the next game to just never use it at all.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited February 2011
    You need to consider the check is all. We had one cylon card in the check, and not very many of ours, needing to reach 11 total. I had figured you meant you had the check so not to play too much into it- but that just would have led to us not getting enough to get to 11.

Soooo...yeah. Red Tape is probably good for humans if an IC is in effect so you can see the toaster cards you're nullifying and that you aren't hurting positive contributions. Or on checks to have someone (like yourself) executed when you're pretty sure the target is human.

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    Well, that red tape I played made the Cylon Leader burn her OPG, so I have to agree with you...

Anyway, I was a cylon from the start, and my reveal ability was to add a centurion. Honestly, I think I have the lamest reveal ability out of all the cards.

But, hey. Presidency.

I was searching for what I normally considered the Holy Grail of Cylon reveals, I.E. the XOed into double arrest order. The Admiral showed me the new way, however.

I thought for the longest time that Gene was a cylon too. Then, when the Admiral exploded half the civilian fleet, I almost danced for joy. I mean, I pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever I wanted, since both of the "cylons" were accounted for.

Here's the quorum hand at the end of the game. Honestly, a human president wouldn't have had much to help out with.
    Encourage Mutiny

Action: Choose any other player (excluding the Admiral). That player rolls a die. If 3 or higher, he receives the Admiral title; otherwise, lose 1 Morale. Then discard this card.

Arrest Order

Action: Choose a character and send him to the "Brig" location. Then discard this card.

Assign Arbitrator

Action: Draw 2 Politics cards and give this card to any other player.

Keep this card in play. When a player activates the "Admiral’s Quarters" location, this player may discard this card to reduce or increase the difficulty by 3.

Unsavory Connections

Action: Discard 2 random Skill Cards and draw 2 Treachery Cards. Then gain either 1 Food or 1 Fuel and discard this card.

Release Cylon Mugshots

Action: Look at 1 random Loyalty Card belonging to any other player, then roll a die. If 3 or less, lose 1 Morale. Then discard this card.

Enact Production Quotas

Action: Gain 1 Food and lose 1 Morale. Then discard this card.

Resignation

Action: Discard any number of Quorum Cards from your hand and then draw an equal number of new Quorum Cards. Then choose another character, give him the President title, and discard this card.

Execute Prisoner

Action: Chose a character in the “Brig.” The character is executed. Then discard this card.

Food Rationing

Action: Roll a die. If 6 or higher, gain 1 Food and remove this card from the game. Otherwise, no effect and discard this card.

Capfalcon on
    edited February 2011
    Game Replay

PA-BSGBG-GameE01-Replay.gif

Notes from the Host's Desk

As we all know now, Gene Parmesan accidentally puts a Leadership card into the Turn 1 check and causes what can only be called "shenanigans", including Void Slayer's execution and subsequent revival as a Cylon. Capfalcon, who is a Cylon from the start of the game, asks me in the second jump phase whether or not he is actually a Cylon just to make sure.

Turn 8, Gene Parmesan's Support the People draw comes up with two 0-strength cards, continuing to limit his effectiveness. Capfalcon actually throws his own copy of the card into that turn's skill check, despite the fact that the humans could have still used it - of course, he is playing in the interest of Cylons. Nobody seems to make a fuss about useful cards appearing in checks during the game. Void Slayer interestingly chooses to go for the 3-distance destination instead of the 1. Seems like it worked out for him in the end.

Interestingly, The Ender chooses to jump only one distance on the second jump instead of three. I suppose the threat of additional Raiders right away was a concern, but getting that additional distance and a chance to go for a 3-3-2 jump pattern might have been a better option.

Gene Parmesan and The Ender are kind of forgetful. :)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I thought the setup was just perfect - after Admiral Toaster picks the 3 distance to drop the civilians on the board, I scout another one (Cylon Raiders - 3 distance, 2 fuel, 3 raiders behind Galactica) and figure we're set up for the perfect 3-jump.

I wonder what would have happened with the Crossroads phase, though. Seems like a perfect opportunity to get someone boxed.

Tenek on
    edited February 2011
    As for that; how is everyone doing on Trauma tokens? Anyone falling behind optimum numbers?

Rius on
    edited February 2011
    Heh...the change on that board from turn 9 to turn 10 is cringe worthy.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    edited February 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    As for that; how is everyone doing on Trauma tokens? Anyone falling behind optimum numbers?

Allies and Trauma didn't play as much a role as I thought they might. Here's the counts at the end of the game:

"Caprica" Six (Tenek): 0 trauma
    Saul Tigh (Void Slayer): 3 trauma (2x Beneficial, 1x Antagonistic)
    Callandra "Cally" Tyrol (El Skid): 3 trauma (1x Beneficial, 2x Antagonistic)
    Louanne "Kat" Katraine (The Ender): 2 trauma (1x Beneficial, 1x Antagonistic)
    Tory Foster (Diorinix): 1 trauma (1x Antagonistic)
    Galen Tyrol (Gene Parmesan): 3 trauma (1x Beneficial, 2x Antagonistic)
    Gaius Baltar (Capfalcon): 3 trauma (2x Beneficial, 1x Antagonistic)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2011
    I was at the optimum number, I think.

I'm curious to see whether Crossroads frequently results in "humans box Cylon" - in theory, with all cards in play you can force a Cylon to draw 8 tokens. (Gets your Admiral executed, though.)

Tenek on
    edited February 2011
    Wow. Resignation is very...uh...useful if you can get a pile of cards. You either have the cards you need or you can go fishing, discarding the garbage cards you don't want/need. A human president probably could have salvaged things just with that one card.

El Skid on
    edited February 2011
    El Skid wrote: »
    Wow. Resignation is very...uh...useful if you can get a pile of cards. You either have the cards you need or you can go fishing, discarding the garbage cards you don't want/need. A human president probably could have salvaged things just with that one card.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just kinda forgot about it, because, you know, cylon.

Capfalcon on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait, has Caprica Six already used her OPG? Could she potentially alter the outcome of the check?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Yes. I used it on the other check that got ruined by Red Tape.

Tenek on
    edited February 2011
    As we all know now, Gene Parmesan accidentally puts a Leadership card into the Turn 1 check

Can we get details as to how this occurred? Like, did he later try to correct himself or anything?
    Interestingly, The Ender chooses to jump only one distance on the second jump instead of three. I suppose the threat of additional Raiders right away was a concern, but getting that additional distance and a chance to go for a 3-3-2 jump pattern might have been a better option.

It was a really hard decision. We had a lot of civvies on the board and a ton of Cylon ships already incoming, with Population being our lowest resource. Gas Cloud, I figured, might let me draw into a clutch Crisis card or bury some disastrous ones.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gene's mistake felt like a defining moment in the game; hate to see a misplay affect the game that much.

Darian on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, that was a fun game. I still say I made a mistake not revealing and instead taking the presidency. At least I got a glance at the cards. Either way taking out 5 ships at once was clearly worth it.

Red tape is a deadly card, particularly in the high number checks people normally save the best cards for.

On that last check I contributed the 2 piloting... I didn't expect someone to play a red tape just wanted to ruffle some feathers.

Basically... don't stack civilian ships behind Galactica.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I was looking for a way to send you some signals by claiming that I didn't have certain cards in my hand, but it never came up.

Capfalcon on
    edited February 2011
    Gene's accidental contribution of the leadership card was an incredibly small mistake.

His failure to admit his mistake in some capacity and thus send you all on a wild goose chase to kill him was what really caused the problem.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I don't think there's any point in running around saying "<action> was a huge mistake". I mean, it was 5/8 (or a bit less with both nukes) that Tigh's reveal would have fallen flat on its face, and we'd be saying that was when the humans locked it up. (Or if he'd rolled a 7, maybe Baltar had a Calculations, etc.)

Tenek on
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I wasn't trying to make Gene feel bad. God knows I've made some monumentally poor decisions in various games, including this one.

I once, as Cylon-Baltar, made a crisis decision that would have hurt the humans moderately, but nothing worth making a reveal over. I don't know what I was thinking...especially because Helo's OPG hadn't been used yet, so he just changed my crisis decision.

I lost the presidency, my freedom (brigged), and the game.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Tenek wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point in running around saying "<action> was a huge mistake". I mean, it was 5/8 (or a bit less with both nukes) that Tigh's reveal would have fallen flat on its face, and we'd be saying that was when the humans locked it up. (Or if he'd rolled a 7, maybe Baltar had a Calculations, etc.)

You don't agree that it was a huge mistake to lead the humans on a wild goose chase instead of admitting an error right away?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    edited February 2011
    The Ender wrote: »
    As we all know now, Gene Parmesan accidentally puts a Leadership card into the Turn 1 check

Can we get details as to how this occurred? Like, did he later try to correct himself or anything?

As the story went on my end, I tallied up the contributions and posted the results before realizing that there was something strange about Gene's contribution. I did ask him about it in a PM while also making a reminder about the secrecy rules (something that I hope didn't influence his behavior too much), and it was chalked up to a simple mistake in reading the valid check colors.

On a side note, I guess I'll be putting up the signups for the next game Monday, February 21, 10am PST (1pm EST, 6pm GMT). Anybody want to put in suggestions on changes for my hosting style for the next game?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png