As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Community: hit me with your genie's bottle, rub it all over me (season 3 confirmed!)

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would assume a lot of comedians would be pretty good rappers. I mean, they are certainly clever enough. Especially since a lot of rap is taking shots at other people/things.

I think the issue is most comedians do not have the self confidence that exhibits itself in most rap. Im not sure in Donglover is faking it or if he realizes he is badass and lets it out with dope rhymes.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, what was Abed's bequeathment?

Abed would never fall for that shit, so was removed from the process. Pierce is not entirely stupid/clueless.

Piers knows that Abed already sees himself as an outsider, and that Abed is the only character who doesn't live in self-delusion.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smeej wrote: »
    "You better not intercut this with footage of me freaking out."

OptimusZed wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    "What do I know, Im Jeff Winger's dumb gay dad?"

I love this considering her self-righteous "I have a gay friend, and it's totally cool. I'm soooo not homophobic" arc from last week. But, like in the football episode, one of her go to insult is "gay."

I don't think she's using it as an insult.

I think she just has a very naive notion of what the term means and keeps applying it in inappropriate situations.

That's kind of a running theme for her; she loves to seem like she has life experience that she actually doesn't.
    It's pretty consistent with her beliefs on anyone masculine being a repressed homosexual. Look at her attitude towards fighting in the first season Christmas episode.
    Yeah, and that's what I'm talking about.

The "Manly man is really a closet queen" is a pop culture staple that has minimal grounding in reality. But she has adopted it because she thinks that's how it actually works and the image that she's cultivated requires her to be at least conversant in gay culture.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I agree with that comparison of Jeff and Pierce.

Pierce also knows Jeff's secret. He knows about the chair.

What?

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I would assume a lot of comedians would be pretty good rappers. I mean, they are certainly clever enough. Especially since a lot of rap is taking shots at other people/things.

I think the issue is most comedians do not have the self confidence that exhibits itself in most rap. Im not sure in Donglover is faking it or if he realizes he is badass and lets it out with dope rhymes.

I knew he was clever enough, far more clever by far than most rappers, but I'm always skeptical of people who just rap (or do anything really) on the side. Rappers who try to act. Comedians who try to rap. Actors who try to sing. Branching out often fails hard.

It's On is fun, Freaks and Geeks is even better, he reminds me of lil wayne on this track: http://www.earmilk.com/2011/02/12/childish-gambino-freaks-geeks/ , but I far prefer him as an actor/comedian/writer. It's a little weird to hear him dropping the n-word and acting gangsta given his comedy, his work as troy, and his skit on the n word http://comedians.jokes.com/donald-glover/videos/donald-glover---can-t-say-it

donglover is a decent rapper, not elite. Rapping well is an actual skill, it's not as easy as people seem to think. (and that's not all there is to being a rapper or producing good music) You can't just do it without work. Shit's poetry man.

I've already said dude seems cool as hell, and has an awesome website, love the design: http://www.iamdonald.com/

valiance on
  • Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pierce wrote:
    When Buddha returns, we all take liquid form, and merge into a shimmering ocean of knowledge, which according to scripture, tastes like Hawaiian Punch.
    mjXJo.jpg

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

What?
    Watch the Environmental Sciences episode on season 1 (the episode with "Somewhere Out THere").

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    smeej wrote: »

What?
    Watch the Environmental Sciences episode on season 1 (the episode with "Somewhere Out THere").

Oh, okay. That gave me enough information to Google it. Thanks.

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    God, his reaction to LeVar Burton was my EXACT reaction to Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan when I met them at Wizard World: Philadelphia.

I knew how Troy felt. Which made me laugh and cringe all at the same time.

Somehow I can understand that. One the one hand you go: "Thats Adama and Thigh!!!", then you try to get a hold of yourself and say: "Its only the actors playing them Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan!!". Then your mind explodes because its Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan!!!!!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    great, now i cant stop playing that freaks and geeks track

valiance on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wasn't really that impressed by his rap.

The profanity and subject matter were jarring in juxtaposition with his comedy and characterization on this show.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know we have talked about it before, but can we just pause and be jealous of how fucking good Donald Glover is at everything?

http://hypem.com/item/17txx

I thought that was better than the T.I. track he snagged the beat from.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, I never saw Donglovers stand up before. Watching those clips, he can do some great impressions.

Its a wonder SNL didnt snatch him up given his work with Derick Comedy and his writing on 30 Rock. I mean, 30 Rock wouldve had him make like 100 SNL connections. Maybe he denied them?

EDIT: The line "elephants never forget so my dick remembers everything." is fantastic.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DoomSong8 wrote: »
    I know we have talked about it before, but can we just pause and be jealous of how fucking good Donald Glover is at everything?

http://hypem.com/item/17txx

I thought that was better than the T.I. track he snagged the beat from.

As someone who has listened to hip hop for most of his life I am proud to say the he (Donald) has me more excited than anyone else I've heard in recent memory.

I dont know what it is but every track from http://www.culdesac-album.com/ and onward has hit so hard.

Enough rubbing on his balls though! Anyone know the ratings yet?

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YOU SUCK FOR MAKING ME LOOK. HERE I WAS ALL EXCITED ABOUT ONE OF THE BEST HALF HOURS SINCE LAST SEASON AND I SEE THESE NUMBERS :(

NBC Community 1.8/5 4.16

Still better than Perfect Couples afterwards.

My wife dvr's Big Bang Theory and we watch that after Community, I don't think I laughed once because Community set the bar so high. The only other thing I can remember making me laugh this hard lately was last week's Parks and Rec ("it rubbed off")
    Remember when it seemed like Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs had no chemistry?

I think they have achieved the nearly impossible. Actual realistic take on Friends with Benefits. I am so on Team Annie however I have known so many couples that are similar to Britta and Jeff... those are those long haul on/off relationships filled with flavour that's sometimes hard to watch but you always want to see what happens next.

PS: My dad (Who is an old white man, swear to god they all look alike at some point) did not feel this episode at all. I think it's because they picked on the old white man in his opinion.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's actually the only NBC show of the night whose ratings held steady with last week, rather than go down.

Of course, this says more about how fucked NBC currently is than how well Community is doing, but hey, it is relative good news.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Community doing better than Perfect Couples is good news.

For Community anyway, PC is not long for this world. You don't drop in viewers on the half hour when most of your "competition" is hour-long shows. It also means people are tuning in specifically for Community.

It was also competing against BBT and American Idol.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love how Britta gave the money to the Red Cross. The most wasteful charity ever.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It was a pretty well-produced track, sounded a good bit like Wayne. I'm not a big fan of rap like that though, the kind of flashy stuff that lacks much substance.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    God, his reaction to LeVar Burton was my EXACT reaction to Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan when I met them at Wizard World: Philadelphia.

I knew how Troy felt. Which made me laugh and cringe all at the same time.

Somehow I can understand that. One the one hand you go: "Thats Adama and Thigh!!!", then you try to get a hold of yourself and say: "Its only the actors playing them Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan!!". Then your mind explodes because its Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan!!!!!

I forgot my name. That's how bad it was. They said "How are you? What's your name?" and I stared at them like Troy did and then turned to my father who had to tell me.

Mim on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ha! Apparently they had Amy Poehler's stock photo up in last night's episode.

243867944.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1298069151&Signature=OXSR2WndBlbnarJ760rfSkrzhyw%3D

Kiwi on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    last night I felt like perfect couples actually hit a stride. don't think there are many fans of it here but for some reason each week I say 'oh right that show is on now, I should turn it off' and then I don't.

and this week I finally feel comfortable saying I enjoyed it rather than that it was a very mixed bag

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I caught my first viewing of perfect couples last night. It was...sufficient.

The waitress from Sunny brings a bit of Sunny style quick-mean dialogue to the show. When they called her with the photo of the dead possum it definately had a sunny vibe. You can tell shes married to charlie.

I also enjoyed the desire for pranks. "Is this possum here as a result of a classic prank?"

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    last night I felt like perfect couples actually hit a stride. don't think there are many fans of it here but for some reason each week I say 'oh right that show is on now, I should turn it off' and then I don't.

and this week I finally feel comfortable saying I enjoyed it rather than that it was a very mixed bag

I wanted to give it a chance too, I'm glad that last night's episode vindicated my patience. I was very pessimistic about Olivia Mun's inclusion into the show at first, I've heard about her before from G4 and I've seen her a couple times as a correspondant on the Daily Show, but I'm actually glad to say she's been proving my pessimism unnecessary. She's actually quite good.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finally saw the v day episode. Damn this was hilarious, I totally forgot about Andy dick.

Who was the hot librarian?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maite Schwartz

She's Texan, so bonus points.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This episode was god damn amazing. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Meanwhile, my coworker just tapped away on his phone and didn't laugh once. He said it was one of the worst episodes he'd seen.

Then we watch parks and rec, and he immediately laughs at Ron(?) listing words, the 3rd or 4th being "butthole."

I mean, that was funny too, but really? It's like he doesn't get anything beyond physical comedy and dick/fart jokes!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeff beating up Pierce (who wrecks his car to get away), Troy lashing out physically about LeVar Burton, these are not funny?

Your coworker is like a monkey in your avatar/signature combo.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maite Schwartz

She's Texan, so bonus points.

She's got a pretty filthy sounding filmography too. "Half-Dragon Sanchez"? I'll order two.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh thank god Tex, I've been waiting a whole week for you to change your avatar/sig combo. It's not that I didn't love it, it's just so hard scroll away from a picture of Britta making out with another hot blond.

My team Annie status is . . . wavering.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    *shrug*...more fish for Kunta

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeff beating up Pierce (who wrecks his car to get away), these are not funny?

Of course not. There was nothing hilarious or madcap about it.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, what was Abed's bequeathment?

Abed would never fall for that shit, so was removed from the process. Pierce is not entirely stupid/clueless.

Piers knows that Abed already sees himself as an outsider, and that Abed is the only character who doesn't live in self-delusion.

Abed's beqeathment was the order for him to do the documentary.

Edit: Donglover can sing pretty well!

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been reading it as Don-Glover when really I should be reading it as Dong-Lover

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ONE OF US ONE OF US

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I love how Britta gave the money to the Red Cross. The most wasteful charity ever.

That was my first thought when she said that! I don't think you could pick a bigger waste of cash.

I have really liked this season so far though I am a little sick of how terrible Pierce acts.

Disrupter was saying earlier how they really have captured his utter GIMPness, for lack of a better word. And it's true-- I think most of his relatability comes from how he is That Guy that virtually every group has at some point. Pierce is definitely the Gimp of the Community crew. I guess I wish he were characterized in a way that would make him a little more pitiable/relatable/less obstreperous rather than constantly zoning in on the annoyance factor with him.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Jeff beating up Pierce (who wrecks his car to get away), these are not funny?

Of course not. There was nothing hilarious or madcap about it.

That was actually awesome, and made it funny...at least to me.

Also, I demand a "more fish for Kunta" title for this thread. We do, at least, have a Kunta-related title, which is better than nothing. But clearly this was the money line of the show.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was waiting for Pierce to call LaVar "Toby"

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't get it.

FactorySquirrel on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't get it.

It's an Office reference.

Toby dresses up as Levar Burton for Halloween.

Also, Roots.

Schrodinger on
This discussion has been closed.