As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cooking Brats without Grilling

dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My neighbor gave me some nice-looking brats he picked up at the farmer's market, but my grill is currently out of commission.

Anyone have tips on how to cook them without a grill?

steam_sig.png
dresdenphile on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pan frying is pretty much your only other option. Pan on medium heat, dont really need any oil if you use a non-stick pan. Just brown them, same as a grill.

I guess you could also bake/broil them, but i think that might be kinda gross.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.kitchenproject.com/german/Bratwurst/stovetop.htm seems like it would work pretty well.

see317 on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I typically pan fry them. Roll them in some flour for some added texture and flavor, and use a small amount of oil. It makes the outer layer extra crispy and delicious.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Combination of what see317 and hahnsoo1 posted. I simmer mine in a pan with a thin layer of water, followed by browning them in a pan to give them a crispier texture.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Simmer them in beer and sauerkraut, if you like that sort of thing, then slap em on a toasted bun with some good mustard.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My favourite alternative to grilling is broiling. Its how I do steak in the oven.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Broiled steak is damn good :^:

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Simmer them in beer and sauerkraut, if you like that sort of thing, then slap em on a toasted bun with some good mustard.

This and you don't need to put them on bread either.

VisionOfClarity on
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »

This and you don't need to put them on bread either.

True. You do need mustard, though.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've had good brats that did not need the mustard if the kraut was flavourful enough.

And it depends on the mustard. Plain, yellow mustard should not be anywhere near them.

VisionOfClarity on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yellow mustard should not be near anything, except maaaaybe some ridiculously cheap hotdogs.

I almost exclusively use Inglehoffer Stone Ground Mustard, which won a gold medal at the Napa Valley World Mustard Championship. The little seeds left in it are fantastic.

BoomShake on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty sure the guy can put on whatever he thinks tastes good

its pretty easy to panfry a brat, you shouldn't have any problem

RubberAC on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like to sear the shit out of them in a skillet, then flood them in cheap, delicious beer and onions, poaching them till they're cooked through. Takes about 45 min with a decent simmery simmer going. Mmm...

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    see317 wrote: »

I do this, but with beer instead of water (a cheap, american lager like miller lite or PBR works best)

once the beer simmers off, leave the heat on for a few minutes and flip your sausages to brown the outside of the bratwurst. if you did have a grill, you'd do this step on the grill instead.

Monoxide on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You could do all this, then chop up the brat into small pieces, cover it all in ketchup and curry and enjoy yourself another German favorite: Currywurst :)

I prefer, however, the pure Bratwurst experience, which entails grilled or pan-fried Bratwurst (typically pan-fried, since it isn't always grill weather here in Germany), deli mustard and the aforementioned toasted roll.

Deee-lish!

Locust76 on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I give them a quick pan sear to tighten the skin then boil it in beer (no water at all). I'll toss the kraut in the beer at the end to heat it up then eat them with mustard.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    crock pot them! seriously, get a nice lager and dump in the pot. (add water if you need some volume). let them soak on low/medium for a full day. get some nice brown mustard to go with them. add sauerkraut. you will not regret this!

Pailryder on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hmm crock pot brats... interesting

this thread makes me crave brats

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Welp. I'll be picking up some brats on my way home from work. Thanks thread.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah me too i think, and a big bag of sauerkraut

can you simmer things in cast iron pans, hm i need a stainless steel skillet

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can simmer in cast iron, but if the simmering liquid is too acidic it can mess with the seasoning of the pan (cause it to flake off). Beer, water or broth shouldn't be a problem.

If you ever see it, bockwurst is a very nice sausage, mild and a bit more complex than bratwurst. Prep the same way as brats (I simmer in beer and then finish on the grill/pan).

Djeet on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    If you ever see it, bockwurst is a very nice sausage, mild and a bit more complex than bratwurst. Prep the same way as brats (I simmer in beer and then finish on the grill/pan).
    I love bockwurst. I think ingredient and prep-wise, it's actually simpler than brats, not more complex. It's mild, but still delicious. Most bockwurst lack nitrites, which is a plus for folks who suffer from migraines (nitrites can be a food migraine trigger). The outer casing can get a bit tough unless you roll them in flour and pan-fry them (my usual method).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Boil them in a nice dark beer then pan fry them.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    I love bockwurst. I think ingredient and prep-wise, it's actually simpler than brats, not more complex. It's mild, but still delicious. Most bockwurst lack nitrites, which is a plus for folks who suffer from migraines (nitrites can be a food migraine trigger). The outer casing can get a bit tough unless you roll them in flour and pan-fry them (my usual method).

Sorry, I meant more complex in flavor, I don't know dick about how they're made. The only problem is I haven't been able to source near the variety in bocks as I can brats.

Djeet on