As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuck man... he no speaking good english.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guess who's face is one the front page of BBC right now?

Article with pic:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12509571

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    ...Oil prices in Libya?

JustinSane07 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Article with pic:

GENKI!!!

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Article with pic:

GENKI!!!

There we go. I think there was something posted in this thread a while back about Genki doing some commercial that involved a huge dance-off that strangers could participate in. I assume this is related to that advertising campaign, though I haven't seen any new videos.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wanderlei's new youtube show is pretty cool. It's like TUF without people getting kicked off I think. Just 14 guys getting to train with pro's. There isn't too much of Wandy speaking broken English but there's certainly some.

Here's a link.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited February 2011
    ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Luckily for Bisping there's someone willing to knock some sense into him.

adytum on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why did no one tell me Sexyama was an action star?

sexyamastills.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(

edit: someone needs to photoshop the Rashad face onto that last panel

815165 on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Article with pic:

GENKI!!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE

i am really confused

i think I need a translation from the fourth dimension.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Why did no one tell me Sexyama was an action star?

AKIYAMA

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg3vc0_athraw1a_auto#from=embed&start=0

don't say i never gave you nothin'

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is wrong with his eye in that clip!?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i think hes supposed to be a cyborg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bisping calls Rivera racist for no good reason

Hypothetically, if Michael Bisping had made a similar video to Rivera's, mocking him on his Puerto Rican ancestry, is there any doubt that Bisping would be web-tarred and e-feathered before being run out of the interwebs?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think "The English" count as a race.

I could be wrong.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I don't think "The English" count as a race.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited February 2011
    I really think Rivera is going to KO Bisping. Dude has 12 KO's on his record and has pretty stellar record in general. He lost his first pro fight against Branden Lee Hinkle. He lost to Lee Murray who only had one loss in his career up to that point. He also has a loss to Terry Martin back in 2007.

Other than that, he's only lost to some of the top guys in the world: Rich Franklin, Anderson Silva, Chris Leben and Martin Kampmann.

Bisping will try and pitter patter and he'll get KO'd.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    I strongly dislike Bisping but I don't think he's completely out of the fight. I'd say his footwork is probably his best facet of his game so maybe he can outdance him and get a decision. If he squares up to trade too often, though, I think he will get caught.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What part of his footwork impresses you? The part where he always circles to his left? Or the part where he always circles to his left and then gets knocked out?
    henderson-bisping-gif.gif

Inquisitor77 on
    edited February 2011
    :lol:

adytum on
    edited February 2011
    What part of his footwork impresses you? The part where he always circles to his left? Or the part where he always circles to his left and then gets knocked out?
    henderson-bisping-gif.gif

He does always circle left but meh, he doesn't have much to compliment I guess. He keeps a good pace and constantly moves, so that's worth something. I think he typically gets caught when he plants and tries to trade, but I could be wrong. I really barely remember most of his fights in any detail.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Last call for PAFCR4 signups, gents. I'm going to have to finalize things on Thursday.

adytum on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bispings wrestling and Jits are much better than Riveras, his cardio is much better too, he could easily take him down and win a UD or (gasp) submit him. You say Rivera lost to Lee Murray who had only lost once before but he was submitted by Lee Murray by chasing him into his guard.

Bispings guard is great.

Oh and
    Hypothetically, if Michael Bisping had made a similar video to Rivera's, mocking him on his Puerto Rican ancestry, is there any doubt that Bisping would be web-tarred and e-feathered before being run out of the interwebs?

Is spot on, hide behind the "English isn't a race herp derp" if you like but it's hypocricy 101, people pore over Bispings interviews looking for shit to take out of context so they can paint him as some asshole, then they wonder why he is paid so well, the guy generates emotion in US fans despite their claiming not to care.

:^:

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    Bisping will try and pitter patter and he'll get KO'd.

Is this Sherdog? Did I mis-click?

Pitter Patter:

michael-bisping-jason-day.jpg

bisping-ufc89-preview.jpg

medium_Bisping_vs_Akiyama_to_main_event_UFC_120_in_London.jpg

11_Bisping_v_Akiyama_06.jpg

11_Bisping_v_Akiyama_09.jpg

If you want to hate on the guy at least be accurate, he has more finishes than decisions. So he lacks KO power? this isn't rock-em sock-em robots, GSP lacks KO power, as do more than half the MMA community when you look at it.

Hate him for being cocky? fine, but mostly that was pre Hendo.

Hate him for being boring? he can be yes.

Hate him for being English? Grow up.

Hate him to fit in on internet message boards? May be onto something here...

Venkman90 on
  • krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like Bisping, but that might be because I skipped season 3 of The Ultimate Fighter. A lot of what he does to rile up people looks like it's an act to drum up excitement than actual vitriol. I'll actually be rooting for Bisping the next fight even though I also like Rivera.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
    edited February 2011
    krapst78 wrote: »
    I like Bisping, but that might be because I skipped season 3 of The Ultimate Fighter. A lot of what he does to rile up people looks like it's an act to drum up excitement than actual vitriol. I'll actually be rooting for Bisping the next fight even though I also like Rivera.

TUF 3 he was ok really, it was TUF 9 that sealed his fate, but lets face it, that's reality TV. The Hamill thing? yes he was a dick but Hamill was too during the show.

Mostly it's just people repeating clichés they read somewhere, I could live with it if people were just saying "meh, fringe top 10 MW so what?" as that's arguably true, he isn't the most exiting fighter of late either, but stating bullshit as fact and then "hendo.gif lol" circle jerks are just getting old.

He has been all class since he got KO'd, he was fucking hugging Miller after their fight, he showed a lot of heart recovering from the first round with Kang and it was Wand who started shit taking Mike when their time came (like Rivera has now).

But hey, I am in the minority.

Venkman90 on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've always been somewhat indifferent towards Michael Bisping. But then again, I never watched TUF 9 so I don't know exactly what he did. I just heard he came off as a bit of a dick.

However, it was his fight with Denis Kang that kind of made me a fan. I didn't know his jiu jitsu was so good. When Kang had him on his back, Bisping's defense was superb, and he was even threatening with submission attempts. Pretty impressive stuff considering Kang is supposedly a black belt. Then in the second round, he came back and wrecked Kang's shit with some ground and pound.

And as far as his pillow hands are concerned, I'd rather watch his technical brand of stirking any day over a Leonard Garcia type slugger.

Dangerbird on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Be sure to check out Rogan's next podcast. It has Bas Rutten!

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Excellent grapple-fest in last night SF Challengers event, Lyle Beerbohm vs Pat Healy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh3q3i_beerbohm-vs-healy_sport

Also very competent commentating due to the absence of Gus.

I am really late to post about this but these SF events are pure comedy. One comment during the SF:Challengers event this weekend really stuck with me. After Ryan Couture won via submission,

"This just goes to show that ju jitsu still works in MMA"

The fighters would walk out with a history of 9 sub victories and 2 KO victories and all the commentators would mention were the KOs. Each fight was hyped as a stand-and-bang and yet all but one ended by submission. I don't know what audience they were targeting because it clearly wasn't the hardcore MMA fans that are actually watching SF. Casual crossover fans from boxing? People that happen to be watching late-night Showtime hoping for nudie bits?

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

:D

Oh it's like I've died and gone into an isolation tank.

doug_grammar on
    edited February 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

:D

Oh it's like I've died and gone into an isolation tank.

Spirit guide and pupil, united again.

A lot of people on reddit were shitting on the 127 card, but I'm not really sure why. It's not the best but it could certainly be worse. The Penn fight is exciting, to me, because of its importance to BJ's current run after the weight change, but it is a Fitch fight so I get some of the moaning. The rest of the card has plenty of potential, though. And, I mean who doesn't want to see Mark Hunt and Tuchscherer be fat?

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Bispings wrestling and Jits are much better than Riveras, his cardio is much better too, he could easily take him down and win a UD or (gasp) submit him. You say Rivera lost to Lee Murray who had only lost once before but he was submitted by Lee Murray by chasing him into his guard.

I'm not really sure what your point is. That fight was over 7 years ago. You know who else lost 7 years ago? Anderson Silva. To a heel hook from Ryo Chonan. Going back to a fight that old to try and make points doesn't really work.

And I really don't see what's so controversial about what I said. Bisping and Rivera are in about the same position in their MMA careers: Both guys beat mid tier fighters but can't seem to move past that into the upper levels. I'm picking Rivera because I think he's going to try and keep it standing and I think his stand-up better than Bisping's, not because of some massive Bisping hate boner you seem to think I have.

SERIOUS BISPING BUSINESS UP INS.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011

And I really don't see what's so controversial about what I said

You used the phrase pitter patter, we seem to have divided opinions on its meaning.
    Bisping and Rivera are in about the same position in their MMA careers

Not really, neither have taken out anyone top 10 (while they were top 10, Kang and Akiyama have both been there though) but Bisping is 6 years younger with more left in him.
    I'm picking Rivera because I think he's going to try and keep it standing and I think his stand-up better than Bisping's

That's fine, I don't see how River can dictate where the fight goes against a much better wrestler, but there you are.

Rivera has power, can he catch Mike? yes, will I be sporting a sig eating humble pie if he does? yes, but none of what I said above is incorrect either.

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    As much as we all seem to hate Bisping, almost all of us in the MMAPlayground fight camp picked him. I think he'll get caught a few times, but get in enough quick shots to look close in the standup, and that he'll take the win with a few takedowns.

One of my issues with Bisping's standup is that he often throws punches while moving off to the side. It makes him harder to hit but he doesn't get as much power behind punches that could be KO's. He has been getting better about not doing it, though.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Rivera has power, can he catch Mike? yes, will I be sporting a sig eating humble pie if he does? yes, but none of what I said above is incorrect either.

Hence the fun of bets. Both of us think we're right. :D

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    I was referring more to the fact that much of the hate he gets is just unfounded e-goosery, but meh, I can't be arsed being his internet bodyguard, I just hoped for more from PA'ers, I hold you to a higher standard ;)

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    I don't care about Bisping either way; he's a pretty average fighter that has something for B and C list fighters, but nothing for top-tier talent. He doesn't crack the 100 biggest jerks in MMA, though he is a bit self-aggrandizing.

I'm just on the Bisping hate wagon since we have the sig bet on the fight. :)

adytum on
    edited February 2011
    I dread to see what you will have cooked up...

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of bets, here is Rich Franklin

RichFranklin_tattoo1.jpgRichFranklin_tattoo2.jpg

adytum on