As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
guildwars-logo.png

Possible upcoming GW updates:
  • Unknown. Maybe an Elona Guild Wars Beyond story arc?
  • Other exciting things.

Recent GW updates:
Bethryn wrote: »
Bethryn's Pretty Big Guide to Hall of Monuments points
This should give you a basic idea of what you can aim to achieve in a reasonable amount of time - say, a month - depending on what campaigns you own and so on. It's a basic "how to get 30 points" guide with some economics thrown in to help you get the necessary money.

Resources
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page - Guild Wars Wiki, gives you information on enemy locations, advice on how to complete missions and what skills you might need to bring, what you can salvage from what, and a lot of other stuff.
http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki - PvX Wiki, a source for working builds for all characters in both PvE and PvP; also contains hero builds, including the popular "7 hero support team"
http://argos-soft.net/GwEstimator/ - The Argos GWEstimator is basically a price check on various items you'll need for crafting, and money-making
http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome - this lets you know how far you've got to go and what you've got thus far for HoM points and rewards

--x--

Campaigns
Owning all the campaigns helps speed things along a ways, but isn't completely necessary. All campaigns provide access to Obsidian armour, which is not remotely recommended for HoM points.

Prophecies provides the Sorrow's Furnace mission which is good for a title, but is the longest campaign and has no heroes included (but 1 in WiK). It includes War In Kryta and Hearts of the North free campaigns, which are very profitable both in terms of money and HoM points.
Armour: 6 armours for all classes.

Factions provides Ritualist skills (very useful for good hero builds), a fair amount of money, and the Winds of Change free campaign which while long and at times difficult, is profitable. It has no heroes in the main campaign but two in WoC, and is quite quick and easy to complete.
Armour: 2-3 armours for all classes, 2 extra armours for Ritualists or Assassins.

Nightfall provides a lot of heroes, a lot of money, but no free campaign at this point. Its main hub, Kamadan, is the trading city of choice in Guild Wars, which is very useful; you can still buy/sell in EotN, but not as easily.
Armour: 4 armours for all classes.

Eye of the North is necessary to actually receive HoM rewards, and provides a lot of heroes and a lot of money.
Armour: 3 armours for all classes, 1 extra armour for Warriors.

--x--

Money
There are a few basic rules to being profitable from just playing the game.
1) Identifying. Use basic Identification Kits (the 100g ones), and identify anything worth more than 16g to a merchant unless you're going to salvage it. This improves the value of the item.

2) Salvage. Salvage anything that has iron, feathers, granite or plant fibers. You can find out what has them in using GWW, e.g. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Contains_granite for Granite. Normal Salvage kits can't give rare salvage, so it's worth getting Expert's Salvage Kits. If you have Nightfall or Factions, you can get Superior Salvage Kits for 5 quest reward items (do not use Trade Contracts for this).

3) Tournament points. Each account is entitled to 50 free Tournament points. To access these, you need to reach a certain area (Lion's Arch, Kaineng Center, Kamadan having completed the Istan portion of the campaign), travel to Isle of Balthazar, talk to Tolkano and register your account, then talk to High Priest Zhang for 50 Tournament points. You can then turn these in to Tolkano for 10 Zaishen Keys, each of which sells for 5.7-6k.

4) Rares. These are the gold coloured items that drop occasionally. 7 unidentified rares can be sold to players for 5k without much trouble. You can also sell them for 700 each if you really want to.

5) Zaishen quests. These are your 'daily' quests, 3 available from Embark Beach, 1 more from Isle of Balthazar. The Zaishen Mission and Bounty are usually a good source of quick 'free' gold; Zaishen Vanquish is tougher until you're all kitted out with good heroes, and Zaishen Combat requires PvPing.

6) War in Kryta + Hearts of the North. These two campaigns give you a lot of money. Between the two of them, you should be able to get 15 Medals of Honor, 23 Royal Gifts and almost 125 War Supplies (which you can turn into 5 more Medals of Honor). 10 Medals of Honor turn into an Oppressor Weapon, which players will buy for 90-100k. Rather than buy a particular weapon and try to sell it, it's better to hold onto your Medals and ask your buyer what weapon they want (since you can't trade Medals of Honor). Keep 10 Medals for your own Oppressor Weapon, obviously. Royal gifts sell for 5k each; that's 115k. So you've made 215k and a point in the HoM just for doing these campaigns, which are both pretty short!

7) Winds of Change. This campaign is much harder and longer, but also provides some very worthwhile rewards. Rubies and Sapphires are worth 8-8.5k each, and are used for crafting Vabbian armour for players with Nightfall.

8) Trade Contracts. If you own Nightfall, you will get Trade Contracts for completing quests in Vabbi. 7 of these can be turned into a Ruby or Sapphire, and there are 27 total; you can buy the last one from other players for 700-900g.

9) Farming. It's possible to solo some of the Underworld for 'ectos' (which are worth 8-8.5k each) as a Ritualist and some other classes too. Serafina Pekalla in the guild can hook you up with his build, which he's been making unnecessary levels of profit with. There are other ways to farm and make money (Feathers can be farmed by repeating one mission in Winds of Change, for example), but most are fairly tedious. I haven't done any serious farming myself, just completed the main campaigns and EotN, and ended at around 500k in cash.

10) Dungeons. In EotN there are dungeons and when you complete them a chest spawns. Some of the items unique to those chests are worth a lot of money; check them on Argos. Also, remember to bring Light of Deldrimor and spam it; rare crafting materials can drop from the hidden treasures that spawn, and that could be a free Ruby or better!

11) Runes/Inscriptions. Occasionally you'll get a magic item with a rune/inscription that's definitely worth salvaging. Since we're not identifying rares, runes/insignias will only be on salvage armours, but inscriptions can be good on anything. Here's a list of stuff you should salvage:
Runes/Insignias:
Sentinel Insignia [Warrior]
Minor Strength
Minor Divine Favor
Minor Soul Reaping
Minor Fast Casting
Minor Inspiration Magic
Minor Energy Storage
Nightstalker's Insignia [Assassin]
Minor Dagger Mastery
Shaman's Insignia [Ritualist]
Minor Restoration Magic
Minor Communing
Minor Spawning Power
Windwalker Insignia [Dervish]
Minor Mysticism
Minor Scythe Mastery
Centurion's Insignia [Paragon]
Survivor Insignia
Blessed Insignia
Minor Vigor
Vitae
Attunement
Major Vigor

Mods
Poison + 33% bowstring

Strength & Honor: Damage +15% while health above 50%
I have the power!: Energy +5
Aptitude not Attitude: -20% casting time on spells of attribute
I Can See Clearly Now: -20% Blind duration
Forget Me Not: -20% recharge time on spells of attribute

*Measure for Measure: Highly Salvageable. Take these off items you don't want salvage from, and stick them on blues/purples with an empty inscription slot [Nightfall/EotN only] that give good salvage (i.e. Granite, Iron).

--x--

HoM points
Here's where we get the nitty-gritty. Depending on what campaigns you own, certain goals are reasonable. If you're prepared to farm, you can get 30 points just by paying for most of them.

Devotion/Miniatures
Costs: 130kish for 5 points

Make sure you are buying undedicated mini-pets; "unded" in trade channel. When buying, hover over the item offered to make sure you can't see the phrase "Dedicated at the Hall of Monuments".
All campaigns can get these by buying them from other players.
You want 1 rare (Rurik/Shiro/Lich/Water Djinn) from Year 1 or 2 for around 20-30k
18-19 commons. There are 8 commons from each year, 1-4k for year 1, 5-10k for year 2/3, 10k+ for year 4-5.
If you own all three campaigns, you can get the Unique Black Moa Chick mini-pet. If not, you can buy them for 50k+.

Fellowship/Companions
Points: 6 points easily, 8 points easily for Nightfall, 9 points easily for all three campaigns.
Costs: free if you do the challenges yourself, 5k per armour piece if you don't (125k total)

Dedicating pets requires they be level 20, which is no problem mostly. Dedicating Heroes requires they are wearing an upgraded hero armour piece, which means completing missions in either Nightfall or EotN. Miku, Keiran Thackery and Initiate Zei Ri can't be dedicated for this reason. You can buy these pieces for around 5k (25 pieces required total).
A profession changer can give you the Ranger secondary spec for 500g, which includes the Tame Companion skill. You can use this skill to tame the Black Widow in the Underworld (all campaigns) and the Black Moa and Phoenix in Factions. Dedicating one of these pets provides both its statue and the Animal Companion statue, i.e. 2 dedications and 2 points.

Honor/Titles
Points: 3 freely, 5 more easily, 1-4 more at medium difficulty, 6 more very expensively
Costs: free for most titles you'll be aiming at, very expensive for the ones you won't!

Completing a campaign provides 1 title, as does completing all its mission bonuses. Prophecies also includes Sorrow's Furnace which can be easily completed for another title.
2 titles per campaign + Sorrow's Furnace = 7 titles (you need 5 for 5 HoM points).
To reach 10 titles, you can get 2 more points by completing the Underworld (medium) and Fissure of Woe (easy with good heroes). The easiest last titles to get are probably either Lightbringer or Sunspear. The other three Eternal Conqueror (The Deep, Urgoz' Warren or Domain of Anguish) are possibilities too, but will require a good group to complete and aren't really doable with just you and heroes.
Legendary Survivor is a possibility if you have a very strong tolerance for repetition; see Kilroy Stonekin.

Resilience/Armour
Points: 4 points easily, 3 more points somewhat expensively, 1 more point super-expensively
Costs: varies by armour, probably around 200-300k total the 'easy' way.

You do not need the headgear to dedicate armour.
Deldrimor armour cannot be dedicated.

Asuran, Monument and Norn armour costs less gold to craft, but requires reputation with those factions (and sometimes weird crafting materials which make them less desirable).
You'll want to look up the costs of crafting armour on the wiki and decide which armours to go for based on their crafting materials.
Kurzick/Luxon armour costs 70k for Jadeite Shards/Amber Chunks on top of normal crafting materials.
Vabbian armour costs 224k for the Rubies and Sapphires on top of normal crafting materials.

Valor/Weapons
The Oppressor weapon is easily gotten through WiK. Otherwise, they're 90-100k (you can try buying 250 War Supplies for 350 each to lower the cost, but this can take a while).
The Destroyer weapon can be easily gotten once you complete EotN. 10 Diamonds = 50-55k, 10 Onyx = 10k, Granite Stack = 13-14k, 100 iron = 3k, +5k crafting = 81-87k.
The Tormented weapon is very expensive;200k, which means 24e (since you can't trade more than 100k; e means ecto i.e. ectoplasm rare material, 1 ecto = 8-8.5k).

Oppressor + Destroyer = 3 points, more than that will cost you. If you're going for 30 points, you'll want to work out what's cheaper: Destroyer weapons or your armour sets. Usually, it's armour sets.

--x--

Points totals!
Low-hanging fruits only by campaign:
If you only go for the easy stuff to get, here's a rough average of what you can expect:
Prophecies only: 26 points (5/6/8/4/3)
Factions only: 23 points (5/6/5/4/3)
Nightfall only: 27 points (5/7/8/4/3)
If you have two campaigns, you should be able to hit 27 easily, and pick up the last few points from armour or weapons.

Getting your goals in order and knowing what you're aiming for and how reasonable it is to complete it in a given time frame is the key here. I would say most people should be able to make 30 points in the HoM in about a month and a half of 1-2 hours a day, provided you don't have too much trouble with the campaigns.

--x--

Campaign Order Addendum

In my personal opinion, do:
EITHER: Nightfall up until you can go to EotN, getting as many heroes as possible on the way.
OR: Factions if you're going to be a Ritualist, up until you can go to EotN.

Go do a bit of EotN, though the final battle might be too hard for you. Make sure you go to Gunnar's Hold and enter Magni the Bison's fighting tournament (100g per attempt). Look up builds that can get to to round 3+, and pick up Xandra (it's a random chance whether you fight her or not, but once you beat her you have a Ritualist in your party). Make sure you do the Asuran quest up to Finding the Bloodstone to get Livia.

EITHER: finish Nightfall for more heroes, then do Zaishen quests or PvP until you can unlock elites.
OR: if you're a Ritualist, do enough of/finish Factions for Signet of Spirits, Soul Twisting and Signet of Ghostly Might elite skills, then head off to Nightfall for more heroes.

Your aim now is to build the skills necessary for 7 hero support, which will make all PvE from that point onward fairly easy. You can get the elite skills via Balthazar faction (Zaishen quests give you silver Z coins which turn into 1k Balthazar for 2; 3k = an elite), PvPing or skill-hunting yourself (profession change if necessary).

Once you've got the set-up, do anything else left to do in whatever order you want!

Hope this has been helpful, any criticism, extra tips and other feedback, put @Bethryn in the response so I see it!

Who’s playing this?
We have a guild in GW1 called the Kansas City Hotsteppers. You might have heard of us. Anyone is welcome to join, so just whisper one of the officers/leader, or post in this thread and we’ll get you in, just make sure you've already left any previous guild. We’re a generally friendly bunch and will help anyone out that needs help with missions and such. And of course, we’re open to running various things and various times, you just need to suggest it. We use Draygo's GW2 TS Server - Server Address: 66.135.59.185:9999 Password: pa
pa-kchs.jpg

KANSAS CITY HOTSTEPPERS [KCHS]
- For people who don’t have PA tags next to their names, I don’t know who you are on the forums, so lemme know.
- Let me know if you’d like to get added to the list. I know there’s people I missed.

Leader
  • Geod of Exile (PA: Geod)

Officers
  • Aaron Crossel
  • Ezra Cyonian
  • Grievous Prime
  • Jimmy Navio
  • Loriel Deseth (PA: -Loki-)
  • Ren Suun (PA: Unlucky)
  • Rivien of Exile (Lurker)
  • Royce Seraphim (PA: RoyceSeraphim)
  • Serafina Pekalla (PA: Unintentional)
  • Sour Stripes
  • Vivienne Heartsong (PA: Vivixenne)
  • Vladius Agrippa

We have another Guild Wars thread in SE. People will post there too. Viv maintains that one.

Generally, we will run an elite area every Friday, around 9pm EST, but have been slacking lately. Let us know if you want to run something.

This Weeks Run - TBD

Need GW help? Don’t know where to go?
Just post in this thread, or ask in game.

If there's anything else you want to see in the OP, let me know since we can change it now. I’ll add things when I feel like it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I make monies?
If you're starting off, pick up and sell everything - whites, junk, everything. Once you get into the game more, you can start doing elite areas to farm them and sell items. Some good areas to farm are the Domain of Anguish for gems and coffers. Another good area is the Underworld for Ecto. Besides elite areas, if you have Eye of the North, there's all the dungeons to farm. Dungeons each have an end chest that can contain rare items with rare skins. Examples are the Bogroot Growths Dungeon where you can get a Frog Scepter which can sell for up to 60e or more. It really depends on the attribute and requirement level for the item. Another item you can farm from dungeons is a Voltaic Spear and Celestial Compass.

Besides dungeons and elite areas, you can also make money from events. Each week, an NPC named Nicholas the Traveler shows up in random areas collecting a random collector's item that mobs drop. He'll dispense presents to players when they give him the specific items, though you can only get 5 presents per week per account. Presents generally sell for 4k-5k a piece, but you can also farm the item that Nic is collecting, and sell the item. Depending on the item, you can make a good profit off of farming the items. Another event where you can make money is Wintersday and Halloween. Both holidays you can complete quests and various event missions to earn presents. These presents contain sweets, alcohol, and party items. Since players try to get the achievements for using these items, you can sell the presents to them for a good profit. A stack of presents can sell for 4e-6e.

There's many more ways to make money, you just have to find it!

Ecto? e? What?
Ecto or "e" stands for Globs of Ectoplasm. Since you can only hold 100k on your person at a time, ecto has developed as a secondary currency. For high level items you'll generally only deal in ecto. Rare weapons, skins, or mini pets can sell for 20e up to 1000e. An ecto's value varies, but recently it's hovered around 9k each. So 20e would equal 180k.

How do I know what is worth what?
A few ways. One way is to go to Kamadan and look to see if someone is selling what you have. A better way is to check Argos Soft GWEstimater which is essentially a searchable Kamadan Trade Channel for the past couple months. It's a great way to see if people want what you have, and how much it could be worth.

Another way is to check out the GuildWarsGuru trade forums, though that can be slightly more tedious.

What profession is best?
This is debatable, as each class has it's pros and cons. That said, there are certain classes that will generally be more "wanted" than others in groups. It's an unfortunate truth, but it's part of GW. Skills are constantly balanced though, so this changes with time. I say, just play what you want :) Each profession has it's own niche. There are certain classes that are more wanted for high level areas, but don't worry about that too much.

What secondary profession is best?
There's certain ones that work better than others for primary professions, so you can ask for advice in this thread. Remember though, that you can always change your secondary later, so try it out and see how it works!

How often is the game updated?
Not as much as it used to be, but it's still being updated. We're in the middle of "Guild Wars Beyond" which will link Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2. We've already had War in Kryta, and are looking forward to the Cantha storyline soon. The Live Team (that updates GW1) is small, so it does take time for updates, so be patient. Updates are always on Thursday, unless there's a need for some bug fixes.

I forgot my character name. How do I log on?
Contact ArenaNet support. You'll have to confirm you own the account. It can take some time for them to get back to you, so just be patient. It can take as little as a day, up to a week or so.

I no longer have the game CD... how can I install the game?
Lucky for you, you can download the client here. If you want to download all the files for the game rather than stream them as you play, add -image to your shortcut.exe to download all the files.

Geod on

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been using salvage kits to break down most of the trash drops. Should I vendor those instead?

The game doesn't explain missions very well. I was all out of quests in Ascalon before realizing what those shield icons meant.

juice for jesus on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dealing with NCsoft account shit is like

the worst thing

in the world.

No, I don't remember my master account name, because I haven't used it in years. Any PW recovery system with any amount of sense asks for the account's E-MAIL ADDRESS, because that is a permanent fixture.

So I've been having to kind of GUESS what my account name is, and now that I've found it, I have to deal with the next layer of opaque annoyance: because I had failed guesses as to what my account name was, the system put me on lockout. Except that it doesn't tell me that when I try to reset my PW. Instead, after I enter the account name I want to reset the password for, it asks for my DoB and to fill out the two word human confirmation. I submit ... and then redirects back to the 'enter account name' field, with no notification of a failure or anything to suggest why it's looping.

I've gotten to the security question field ONCE and it failed.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been using salvage kits to break down most of the trash drops. Should I vendor those instead?

The game doesn't explain missions very well. I was all out of quests in Ascalon before realizing what those shield icons meant.

If you're looking for a certain crafting item, then yeah, makes sense to salvage trash drops. You can look at the GW Wiki to see what they give. Otherwise, I'd just sell them. Of course I'm obsessive and save all the trash drops for Nicholas the Traveler. Oh, also, I have 16 extra seeds for the item this week for any guildies that want them.

Yeah, while pre-searing was great, it really didn't give a good overview of the mission system :)
    Dac wrote: »
    Dealing with NCsoft account shit is like

the worst thing

in the world.

No, I don't remember my master account name, because I haven't used it in years. Any PW recovery system with any amount of sense asks for the account's E-MAIL ADDRESS, because that is a permanent fixture.

So I've been having to kind of GUESS what my account name is, and now that I've found it, I have to deal with the next layer of opaque annoyance: because I had failed guesses as to what my account name was, the system put me on lockout. Except that it doesn't tell me that when I try to reset my PW. Instead, after I enter the account name I want to reset the password for, it asks for my DoB and to fill out the two word human confirmation. I submit ... and then redirects back to the 'enter account name' field, with no notification of a failure or anything to suggest why it's looping.

I've gotten to the security question field ONCE and it failed.

Yes, NCSoft is horrible. I haven't really contacted support but once, and it was a bit of a struggle to deal with them. You can try contacting support to get some more help, thought they'll probably ask you all those questions the site's asking you.

You'll also have to know one of your characters name to log into GW.

Geod on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had to get them to tell me a character name. Remembered everything else, though.

juice for jesus on
    edited February 2011
    I remember a character name. So I'm good there. And my e-mail should've worked.

I think I must have gotten hacked. None of the passwords I use work for logging into GW.

Dac on
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How hard are end-game dungeons? Are there specific build needed?

I finished Cantha but I've never done any end-game stuff in either Tyria or Cantha. I did FoW a couple of times a while ago though. I'll try to be on Friday if you guys will take me.

Also, if anyone needs to do the Final Assault mission in Sorrow's Furnace let me know. I know at least another guildie was thinking of doing it maybe this weekend. If you need help getting to the final mission I'll help as well.

Dac wrote: »
    I remember a character name. So I'm good there. And my e-mail should've worked.

I think I must have gotten hacked. None of the passwords I use work for logging into GW.

If for some reason if you still have the activation codes that works as well. I didn't remember anything about my account except my character name and I had the codes. They sent me the information I needed.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I lost my City of Heroes account because the email I used for it was some old email my parents had when we used AT&T for internet. Fucking obnoxious.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Geod wrote: »
    Yes, NCSoft is horrible.
    Do not get me started on NCSoft support. I got an email saying it had been requested my password be reset, and if this was not me, to contact support immediately. So I do, and they then lock my account. They wouldn't unlock it until I gave them a serial number from a game on my account.

...I bought Nightfall 3 years ago, I do not have those serial key cards anymore.

I eventually convinced them to unlock it, but seriously, locking me out of my own account for doing exactly what you asked me to do? That's just terrible.

Also, for reference, my characters are of the form C-title Tanto. Like Comrade, or Corporal, or Castellan, or Centurion. I've made a promise to have more creative character names in GW2. Or to just make a necromancer named Ogden Bonestealer.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, to be fair, given that hijacked accounts could be valuable, they're probably targets of social engineering all the time, and therefore are told to exercise a bit of caution. Still, it would be nice of them to tell you what exactly you need to retrieve your account when you buy the game, so you don't throw out/forget pertinent information

Serious_Scrub on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    blue-dottin this

good work, Geod!

PS if you want to access the blog to maek poasts there let me know and I can give you permissions if you create an account on Tumblr

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How hard are end-game dungeons?
    Depends on the dungeon and, more importantly, how experienced your teammates are in running that dungeon. For example, I find Domain of Anguish in Nightfall very easy, but I am flabbergasted as to how to get around in Underworld or Fissure of Woe in Prophecies.
    Are there specific build needed?
    Generally speaking, yes, but this depends on your team. Most dungeons can be cleared with a pretty general party build in Normal Mode, but then the length of time needed to complete dungeons increases exponentially. There are lots of "speed clearing" builds that can be used by teams, and these require very specific builds, skill sets, and equipment.
    Also, if anyone needs to do the Final Assault mission in Sorrow's Furnace let me know. I know at least another guildie was thinking of doing it maybe this weekend. If you need help getting to the final mission I'll help as well.
    I have not done this dungeon in 5 years... not since it became THE place to get green items. I understand it has changed very much from the 4-man party that used to be able to ace the place in no time flat, and so I would be down to join you for this. We may work it into the "weekly endgame event" cycle.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha what the hell. So I go through support to get a character name. They reply, tell me to give them a bit more information and to update the question on their site. I do and it closes the ticket. What, no! That's not what I wanted to do!

Docshifty on
    edited February 2011
    I actually called them up and had a really pleasant experience with the account guy. Asked my e-mail, gave them my serial code (which thankfully I still had on hand in my dusty GW CD case in my CD rack) and baddabing baddaboom. Playing again.

Played a Kurzick defense against the turtles thingy and rocked out with my Monk out.

Shield of Regen!

Shielding Hands!

You ain't killin shit.

Dac on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh guys. I finally got deep enough in Factions over the weekend (finished off the main campaign actually), and finally captured Signet of Spirits on my ritualist. Jesus, why did noone tell me. This is great. Spam 5 spirit skills, tap a group with Painful bond and relax while my group does the dirty work.

Entriech on
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I forgot my password. I wonder how long it will take for supports auto-password recovery to email me a new password

FlipprDolphin on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I forgot my password. I wonder how long it will take for supports auto-password recovery to email me a new password

If you open up the game and use the reset password in there, it sent it immediately to me.

Docshifty on
    edited February 2011
    i dont even have the game installed anymore :P

FlipprDolphin on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Download this handy tiny exe file: http://www.guildwars.com/download
    Boom. Now you have Guild Wars installed. Of course, it'll take about 50-100mb more to actually get you logged in and playing, but still. I've always loved how the entire game can be streamed as you play.

Frem on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »

If you open up the game and use the reset password in there, it sent it immediately to me.

The bigger issue is remembering character names... which would actually be easier if GuildWars didn't let you select surnames, et cetera...

Took me three days to get them to remind me what one of my characters was named.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frem wrote: »

Boom. Now you have Guild Wars installed. Of course, it'll take about 50-100mb more to actually get you logged in and playing, but still. I've always loved how the entire game can be streamed as you play.

Add -image behind the shortcut.exe
    And you can download the whole game at one game.
    Streaming is terrible.

After getting 30/50.
    I have been trying so hard not to play this game since i have a huge backlog of games.
    Must resist untill Winds of Change comes out.
    I hope Shiro returns.

Maou on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Maou wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

Add -image behind the shortcut.exe
    And you can download the whole game at one game.
    Streaming is terrible.

After getting 30/50.
    I have been trying so hard not to play this game since i have a huge backlog of games.
    Must resist untill Winds of Change comes out.
    I hope Shiro returns.

I bet he does, he had to get assassins nerfed so one doesn't own him, and now he is back for revenge.

Which is kind of a shame, I always liked the twist on that boss, that he was originally brought down by a single assassin, and you could do the same thing(if you were an assassin) when he came back as the envoy.

Morkath on
    edited February 2011
    So I got GW again (thanks for the exe people and the tips). The one thing that put me off is having the heroes with me. I have NO idea what abilities to give them :( I liked to use the guy that can use enhancements (i didnt load up the game yet, just got it installed). Any tips on what hero abilities to give my guys?

FlipprDolphin on
    edited February 2011
    There are recommended hero builds on the various wikis. Let me pull some up and I'll toss a link on here.

Also, Alecthar (IGN: Amakir) has an excellent set of builds, as does Gabriel of Istan.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited February 2011
    DrHookenstein on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    So I got GW again (thanks for the exe people and the tips). The one thing that put me off is having the heroes with me. I have NO idea what abilities to give them :( I liked to use the guy that can use enhancements (i didnt load up the game yet, just got it installed). Any tips on what hero abilities to give my guys?

Go to the PVX wiki, they have hero builds listed there.

I usually roll 2 necros and gwen, one minion master, one curser, and gwen for interrupts.

The hench handle healing ok most of the time.

Morkath on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wanted to pick up that one necromancer lady to add to my hero lineup but you have to go through this insane quest line (EotN) to do it.

Given the infrequency with which I play I'm normally rolling with hero+hench and it hasn't gone so well. I haven't really been back to GW in a long time.

I only have Prophecies + EotN, as well...so many of the recommended builds, I can't use.

citizen059 on
    edited February 2011
    Make sure you have enough Hit Points (i.e., don't use superior runes) and upgrade your armor as best as possible.

DrHookenstein on
    edited February 2011
    So I played a single alliance battle in Ancestral Lands, as Kurzick, which is the map most biased in favor of Kurzick. Joined a team that otherwise consisted of the same guild
    Got rolled by over 350 points
    One sample a distribution does not make, but why is Kurzick so bad at Alliance Battle? The Luxons seem to always be in Kurzick territory whenever I look at the factions map.
    In this particular battle, there was a drawn-out 8v8 (since everybody runs builds optimized for shrine capturing, not pvp) between two shrines. Not sure what the other teams of four were doing, but we went from controlling 5 shrines to 1 during the stalemate, and eventually lost our remaining shrine, too.
    Several years ago, teams tended to be much more balanced, and maps rarely got to Ancestral lands/Grentz Frontier
    Aspenwood suffers this to a lesser extent, and Jade Quarry seems to be the exception

Serious_Scrub on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I played a single alliance battle in Ancestral Lands, as Kurzick, which is the map most biased in favor of Kurzick. Joined a team that otherwise consisted of the same guild
    Got rolled by over 350 points
    One sample a distribution does not make, but why is Kurzick so bad at Alliance Battle? The Luxons seem to always be in Kurzick territory whenever I look at the factions map.
    In this particular battle, there was a drawn-out 8v8 (since everybody runs builds optimized for shrine capturing, not pvp) between two shrines. Not sure what the other teams of four were doing, but we went from controlling 5 shrines to 1 during the stalemate, and eventually lost our remaining shrine, too.
    Several years ago, teams tended to be much more balanced, and maps rarely got to Ancestral lands/Grentz Frontier
    Aspenwood suffers this to a lesser extent, and Jade Quarry seems to be the exception

It seems to be at what time you hit it. I've had great JQ and FA, rarely do I have a really bad string of losses. I don't do AB tons, but yeah, I've noticed that Kurzicks suck more than often in there :\

Geod on
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I did AB recently a lot of people just added my PvP character without even asking for a build.

I was accepted as an A/Me as soon as I logged in, thankfully I told them to wait so I could at least get a build off a wiki. Not really sure what we were doing either, a combination between chasing off stragglers and trying to control 1 shrine. I tended to see a lot of people go off on their own, especially this one Necro MM that had a small army with him, it was a bit funny to see.

I lost a lot and it doesn't seem like there was much coordination, still a lot fun though. It's probably a bit more fun to go with a group you know.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does everyone just love Kurzick or something? Wait times on that side for Jade Quarry are ridiculous sometimes.
    Makes me wish I was 70k faction down my Luxon track instead.

Entriech on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Does everyone just love Kurzick or something? Wait times on that side for Jade Quarry are ridiculous sometimes.
    Makes me wish I was 70k faction down my Luxon track instead.

Yes, Kurz has wayyyy more people.

My theory is that red is the color of COMMUNISM!

Xagar on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, to be fair, given that hijacked accounts could be valuable
    My issue is that for doing exactly what I was told to do by NCSoft, I was potentially locked out of my account. There were even plenty of other ways I could have verified that I owned the account, but they insisted on providing a serial number.

Also, totally just finished City of Torc'qua on hard mode B) (I am never doing that again)

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    The funny thing is that Luxons tend to fare better in the competitive missions, and the alliance that controls Cavalon has 3 times as much faction as House Zu Heltzer
    So. Double Kurzick/Luxon title track points. The doubling only counts when redeeming points, so I'm planning on accumulating points now, and dumping them all when the event starts. Assuming that I'll get 4 title points for every point redeemed for alliance rep, I'll be able to hit rank 4, which gives the HoM statue and allows for one more second of "Save Yourselves!"

Serious_Scrub on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Kurziks suck at PvP thing is because FA and JQ tend to go the kurzik way more often than not, so all the good PvPers tend to stick to those. In AB You'll see luxons pushed all the way to their home during AB double faction weekends.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, anyone unlucky enough to be farming their faction from the luxon side almost has no choice but to use AB. FA and JQ are just futile as a luxon. It wasn't always that way, as I remember winning a good percentage of the fights back in the day. I tried it again recently, however, and it was nothing but getting steamrolled.

Jenosavel on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Oh guys. I finally got deep enough in Factions over the weekend (finished off the main campaign actually), and finally captured Signet of Spirits on my ritualist. Jesus, why did noone tell me. This is great. Spam 5 spirit skills, tap a group with Painful bond and relax while my group does the dirty work.

How can you say no one told you? I literally say it in every post.

REG Rysk on
    edited February 2011
    So, is anyone else interested in working on Ebon Hold faction?

DrHookenstein on
    edited February 2011
    Did they really expect me to remember a characters name?? I havnt played in over one year! Now to wait forever for support to email me back. At least I had my cd-keys handy!

I guess I own Prophecies and Factions, but I really thought I owned Nightfall too. I guess I will see when I enter the game

FlipprDolphin on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, is anyone else interested in working on Ebon Hold faction?

I am, I'll be on later tonight, possibly, and definitely this weekend.

Alecthar on