As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The video game industry thread: January 2011's over, use the new one

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isn't that Shadow Wars thing the grid based top down game that looks like an Iphone or DS port? Hm.
    That is indeed Shadow Wars described accurately.
    Well, minus the part about Julian Gollop working on it. :) As a result it's worth reading the reviews rather than just ignoring altogether.
    LewieP wrote: »
    I bet Chaos Theory will be based on the DS port.

Same for Rayman 2.
    No way is Chaos Theory based on the DS one. I own it, I beat it, and while fun it had terrible graphics, far worse than what little we've seen already on 3DS. The FPS would drop to like 5 in later levels.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    The people that control the money control the industry, and right now that money is increasingly shifting out of the hands of traditional 3rd parties. It's not that they didn't adapt when they should have so much as I'm not convinced they CAN adapt. Their business model is dependent on one boom canceling out several busts, but in this generation the balance is far closer, and sometimes one bust wipes out several booms. Their model is fundamentally broken, and none of them have shown an ability to shift to something more sustainable. If you DON'T think this will have a huge impact on the industry you're delusional. The money doesn't lie, and lately it's been abandoning the traditional 3rd parties at an astonishing rate.

I wouldn't really call their model fundamentally broken, just insanely risky. If they want to take that risk then that's their own problem. Though I wouldn't really throw all publishers into the same group here. There's a difference between Take 2, who will funnel money into projects for years, raking up numerous $100 million games and say, EA, who may be losing money at the moment but still have their hands in a lot of different pools (not just their iOS ports but the Sims and Playfish divisions).

Ideally, I'd like to the big blockbusters left to a handful of studios who really know what they're doing. Epic, Bungie, Naughty Dog, Bioware, etc. And the rest of the publishers lineups filled with mid-range titles that may not push the consoles to the limits but are still good games and significantly cheaper. I bring it up every single time we discuss this topic but I think Demon's Souls is a pretty great example of this. It didn't sell a million units yet still made everyone involved (From Software, Sony, Atlus and even Namco) really good profits.

If your argument is that they should be investing heavily into iOS or Facebook development however, you'll find me completely disagreeing with you. Unless you've got proof of the console market shrinking, despite the fact that the PS3 and 360 are selling as well as they ever have, then I don't really see how you can say that the money is abandoning that market.
    Fats wrote: »
    Seriously? I was trying to avoid the list wars stupidity but:
    Killzone 3
    Motorstorm: Apocalypse
    Infamous 2
    Sorcery
    Yakuza 4
    Disgaea 4
    White Knight Chronicles 2
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    Ar Tonelico III
    SOCOM 4
    Twisted Metal
    Heroes on the Move
    Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
    Resistance 3
    Team ICO Collection
    Uncharted 3

Man, I have no clue what 3/4 of the games on that list are. This is going to be a slow year, isn't it?

Like 2/3 of those games are relatively well known series, so woohoo ignorance?

Oh and whoops, forgot Tales of Graces F in that list.

Splinter Cell 3D is a weird mix of the original Chaos Theory and techniques they used in Conviction.

Yeah, looks just like Conviction, terrible.

Anyway, 3DS launch lineup is pretty eh, but that's why I never buy systems at launch. Only one that interests me is Steel Diver, which looks really, really cool. Pity it's a Nintendo game, I probably would've bought it eventually if the price actually dropped at any point.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Same for Rayman 2.

Since it's Ubi I wouldn't be surprised, but I've already seen the screens of Chaos Theory 3DS and it's proving to be leaps and bounds better visually than the Chaos Theory DS game (which I happen to own..) which itself is a port of the Ngage version.

Not sure on Rayman 2 though :P

Ubi doesn't often seem to really care what gets ported from where as long as it works. But at least in SC3D's case it looks like they're pulling from somewhere besides the Ngage original. Perhaps Chaos Theory 3DS was originally planned as an Iphone game or some kind of tie-in with Conviction that got delayed/cancelled then revived. They've done it before.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Exclusive DLC though? Who cares? When have they ever had a noticeable effect on sales?

Not that I want to get in the middle of an internet slap fight, but I'm pretty sure the 360 version of GTAIV benefited quite a bit from that particular exclusivity.

And I think the PS3 version of Arkham Asylum did very well compared to other cross-platform games because people thought the Joker challenge rooms would be worth it.

I would say that exclusive DLC doesn't have a noticeable effect overall only because there just isn't much console exclusive DLC. But it can benefit some games more directly.

EDIT:
    Now that I think of it, I guess the Joker stuff wasn't DLC. Still, it's vaguely related to the topic...

Nah, the ratio between the two versions of GTAIV was pretty much exactly the same as most other third party games at the time. Cloudeagle calculated it at the time and it was something like 1.6:1.

Batman I'm not sure about. I do remember it doing better than other third party games on the PS3 but I'm not convinced it was due to the DLC. Weren't they saying at the time that the PS3 was the lead platform (despite the fact that it was a UE3 game) and didn't Sony put some significant marketing behind it? I dunno, I guess the DLC could've been a contributing factor but I think we'd need a lot more evidence than one game to come to any conclusion.

The best argument against it though, is Dead Space 2. An entire game packed in for free, yet it still didn't have much of an impact.

The Joker Challenges were actual DLC by the way.

It's not really something I'd care to hang my hat on anyway. But what is the 'normal' sales rate for mutil-console games? If only for comparison.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Killzone 3
    Infamous 2
    Sorcery
    Yakuza 4
    Disgaea 4
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    Ar Tonelico III
    SOCOM 4
    Twisted Metal
    Heroes on the Move
    Resistance 3
    Team ICO Collection
    Uncharted 3

Man, I have no clue what 3/4 of the games on that list are. This is going to be a slow year, isn't it?

Truth, folks, really. There's some good shit in that list. And it's missing Dungeon Siege 3.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Killzone 3
    Infamous 2
    Sorcery
    Yakuza 4
    Disgaea 4
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    Ar Tonelico III
    SOCOM 4
    Twisted Metal
    Heroes on the Move
    Resistance 3
    Team ICO Collection
    Uncharted 3

Truth, folks, really. There's some good shit in that list. And it's missing Dungeon Siege 3.

Man, I don't even own a PS3 and I know 12 of those 16 titles.

Serule on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is a 'PS3'?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Killzone 3
    Infamous 2
    Sorcery
    Yakuza 4
    Disgaea 4
    Hyperdimension Neptunia
    Ar Tonelico III
    SOCOM 4
    Twisted Metal
    Heroes on the Move
    Resistance 3
    Team ICO Collection
    Uncharted 3

I'm sure they're all fine, they're just not interesting. I hope Portal 2 can hold me over until things pick up.

Fats on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is a 'PS3'?

A miserable little pile of hardware?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dunno, the PS3 is going from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan in my book. Usually, the online components of a game are the things that put the 360 version on top, and since I'm not much of a multiplayer guy, I find myself looking at things like system-specific exclusives and not having to switch a disc because it's 2011.

Titles such as Dead Space 2 and Mortal Kombat spring to mind, not to mention that Uncharted is a much better exclusive series than anything on the 360. I love my 360, and I'll always look at quality comparisons before I buy any multiplatform game, but of the two HD consoles, it's starting to feel the most dated.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's not really something I'd care to hang my hat on anyway. But what is the 'normal' sales rate for mutil-console games? If only for comparison.

I've no clue what it is now, I just remember that when GTAIV came out is was around 1.6:1. I can specifically remember Cloudeagle calculating the ratio before it came out and comparing it with GTAIV's and they were pretty much the same. I'd imagine the ratio is a bit smaller now though, since the PS3's doing a bit better.

Magic Pink: Well he was only asking for the PS3 exclusives so Dungeon Siege 3 didn't really fit.

If we were talking about just the games I'd buy then you'd remove a few (Motorstorm and Twisted Metal aren't my thing and I don't really trust Insomniac much anymore, so those would all go) and add a bunch of multiplatform games (Mass Effect 3, Portal 2, Deus Ex 3, new Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham City are givens) and a couple of handheld ones (Pokemon Black/White and Miles Edgeworth 2 probably). Dungeon Siege 3 I'll probably buy too, seeing as I already own all of Obsidian's other games.
    I'm sure they're all fine, they're just not interesting. I hope Portal 2 can hold me over until things pick up.

If you haven't heard of it, it isn't interesting? Yay, ignorance.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    and not having to switch a disc because it's 2011.

Aside from Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and FF13, I can't think of any 360 games that are multi-disk.

And personally, I'd say long load times are a far worse sin. Multiple disks mean that you have to waste time every 5-10 hours. Long load times mean that you waste time every few minutes.

Not saying that the PS3 doesn't have some cool exclusives, but a small handful of games being multi-disk seems like a pretty pathetic reason to dislike a system.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Aside from Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and FF13, I can't think of any 360 games that are multi-disk.

And personally, I'd say long load times are a far worse sin. Multiple disks mean that you have to waste time every 5-10 hours. Long load times mean that you waste time every few minutes.

Not saying that the PS3 doesn't have some cool exclusives, but a small handful of games being multi-disk seems like a pretty pathetic reason to dislike a system.

Dead Space 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Castlevania: Lord of Shadows

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Nah, the other way around. How would learning about a bunch of games that I don't want to play be a good use of time?

Forza 3, if that counts.

Fats on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The sad thing is that as mediocre as the 3DS launch lineup looks to me, it's probably one of the better launch lineups for a system to date.

I'd have to agree. In a typical hardware launch, you're lucky to get one game that's mind-blowing and three that are genuinely good. While you'd be hard-pressed to find something mind-blowing in the 3DS lineup (though I'm sure a lot of people will point to Street Fighter 4), it looks like the overwhelming majority of the games will be at least good (unless companies manage to bugger up the games in transition).

Not to mention there's a lot of names the market in general will go ape over. The system's going to make a hell of a first impression.

And Unco, I'd say you're probably right. Without crunching numbers I'd estimate the sales ratio of "normal" 360/PS3 launches are now closer to 1.3:1 or 1.4:1.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh noes I have to change a disc once in a playthrough of Dead Space 2. Granted I have already swapped that disc out multiple times to play other games... I am exhausted. I honestly think MGS4 is most annoying piece of shit ever for installing each chapter when you got to it and removing the last. I once made the mistake of wanting to go back a little ways right at a chapter switch... yeah that was big chunk of life I will never get back. I would rather a game come on 20 cds than do what MGS4 did.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Why, oh why did this silly phrase have to get used again?
    Sony is currently working on a 'hack-proof' PlayStation 3 as a counter-measure against recent piracy concerns, according to EverythingHQ.

An anonymous 'insider' source says, "Sony are already deep into plans of developing a hack-proof PS3 system. This is mainly due to the recent leaks of Killzone 3 which has worried Sony of their console becoming a mainstream threat to piracy."

The new model PS3 will reportedly have the current slim design, a 300GB hard drive, an undisclosed anti-hacking system, and a mooted price point of £186.99/$300.

Current models of the PS3 could also see a price cut as Sony hopes to clear out the old hackable models from retailers to make way for the new console.

A release date has yet to be set for the new as-yet-unconfirmed model as Sony will be looking to resolve its court case against PS3 hacker George Hotz before making a final decision.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1151243p1.html

Erf. Not only is nothing ultimately "hack proof," but using that phrase just gets hackers stirred up more.

Remind me, is 300GB a new storage milestone for the system?

Also, I've said this before, but goddamn Geohot looks like a tool and a half.

Geohot_BIOboxart_160w.jpg

Edit: And yeah, while it's very nice to have the ability to play Blu-ray movies (and I do), the effects of Blu-ray on games have been pretty negligible.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    corin7 wrote: »

Oh noes I have to change a disc once in a playthrough of Dead Space 2. Granted I have already swapped that disc out multiple times to play other games... I am exhausted. I honestly think MGS4 is most annoying piece of shit ever for installing each chapter when you got to it and removing the last. I once made the mistake of wanting to go back a little ways right at a chapter switch... yeah that was big chunk of life I will never get back. I would rather a game come on 20 cds than do what MGS4 did.

Amusingly, the disc swap in Dead Space 2 is actually a good thing. It gives you a free checkpoint in hardcore mode.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Nah, the other way around. How would learning about a bunch of games that I don't want to play be a good use of time?

How exactly do you know you don't want to play them if you know nothing about them? Truthiness? And why share this in the thread? "Derp derp, those games are so bad I don't even recognise them"? I don't get it.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The sad thing is that as mediocre as the 3DS launch lineup looks to me, it's probably one of the better launch lineups for a system to date.

I'd have to agree. In a typical hardware launch, you're lucky to get one game that's mind-blowing and three that are genuinely good. While you'd be hard-pressed to find something mind-blowing in the 3DS lineup (though I'm sure a lot of people will point to Street Fighter 4), it looks like the overwhelming majority of the games will be at least good (unless companies manage to bugger up the games in transition).

Not to mention there's a lot of names the market in general will go ape over. The system's going to make a hell of a first impression.

It's not terrible but I wouldn't exactly call it good either. The top launches (in order) are the Dreamcast (Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, and Hydro Thunder) and PSP (Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear Acid, Darkstalkers Chronicle and Ridge Racer).

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It's not terrible but I wouldn't exactly call it good either. The top launches (in order) are the Dreamcast (Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, and Hydro Thunder) and PSP (Lumines, Wipeout Pure, Metal Gear Acid, Darkstalkers Chronicle and Ridge Racer).

It's hard to argue against the strength of those two launches (and I won't), but what makes the 3DS launch interesting to me is the relative lack of garbage. Only a fifth of the games look truly crappy, while with most other launches the proportion is much higher. I think it was the same for the Dreamcast and PSP launches too, even with the strong games.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That lineup was enough to put me off of buying a 3DS at launch. I'm sure I'll grab one within the year, but the only thing there I'd see myself getting is Street Fighter. Still excited for the system, but I'll hold out til it's a bit more convenient for me to be spending the money.

I'm not so concerned with the launch titles themselves as I am the pacing of post-launch releases. I remember the DS having one hell of a dry spell right after the initial lineup.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Mass Effect 2 is also multi-disc.

And many reasons are pretty pathetic when it comes to disliking a system.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Mass Effect 2 is also multi-disc.

And many reasons are pretty pathetic when it comes to disliking a system.

Did everyone not read the part where I said I loved my 360? I just find disc-switching a bit tedious, especially in a game like Mass Effect or Castlevania, which require a disc swap when you visit specific locations.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the only game I've played in recent memory where disk swapping really did feel like an issue. I don't mind doing it once and continuing, but having to swap disks while just exploring and checking out random anomalies was a pain.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but when given the option it is something I'll take into consideration.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I'm not so concerned with the launch titles themselves as I am the pacing of post-launch releases. I remember the DS having one hell of a dry spell right after the initial lineup.

This is obviously not an exact science, but Nintendo has said 30 games in the launch window, which to them means in the time leading up to E3. With 16 games at launch, that means 14 more games coming out in a 2-month period, which isn't too shabby. We should get stuff like DOA, Splinter Cell and RE: Mercenaries during that time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ignoring the launch titles for now (because we've all seen them), here's a list of games scheduled to come out for the 3DS in the year. I took the liberty of removing a lot of the excess stuff I assume most people wouldn't find all that appealing (like stylus games or more sudoku puzzles), but did leave in games that could potentially be only for Japan at the moment--thus needing a long time frame to come out, if at all--and games that are definitely being made but have no solid release date.
    3rd-party
    -Kingdom Hearts 3D (Square Enix) / TBA
    -Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega) / Spring 2011
    -BlazBlue Continuum Shift II (ArcSystem Works) / Spring 2011
    -Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom) / TBA
    -Dr. Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights (Konami) / Spring 2011
    -Bomberman 3DS (working title) (Hudson) / 2011
    -Rabbids Time Travel (Ubisoft) / Spring 2011
    -Tales of the Abyss (Bandai Namco Games) / Spring 2011
    -Deca Sports 3D (Hudson) / Spring 2011
    -Tetris Axis (working title) (Hudson) / Summer 2011
    -Resident Evil Mercenaries (Capcom) / Spring 2011
    -Runabout for Nintendo 3DS (working title) (Rocket Company) / Spring 2011
    -Cubic Ninja (working title) (AQ Interactive) / Spring 2011
    -One Piece Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco Games) / Spring 2011
    -Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level-5) / February 26 2011
    -Asphalt 3D Nitro Racing (Konami) / Spring 2011
    -Clash of Heroes 3D (Acquire) / TBA
    -Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater (Konami) / 2011
    -Megaman Legends 3 / TBA
    -Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright / TBA

1st-party
    -Animal Crossing (working title) (Nintendo) / TBA
    -Mario Kart (working title) (Nintendo) / TBA
    -Kid Icarus Uprising (Nintendo) / 2011
    -Paper Mario (working title) (Nintendo) / TBA
    -Starfox 64 3D (Nintendo) / 2011
    -The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) / Spring 2011

The Nintendo stuff is at the bottom because I feel the focus should be more on the 3rd-party titles.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ooooh yeah. Mega Man Legends 3. Now I remember why I was so excited for the 3DS.

SightTDW on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Revelations is on there twice, and there's quite a bit that we already have listed for launch (Monkey Ball, Asphalt). It's also missing DOA and (if nothing else) Time Travelers from Level-5, which looks really cool.

And since some of those are likely to not make it this year or even come out overseas at all, you might as well look at this list and sort by time frame.

I forgot that an Etrian Odyssey had been announced!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man every time I see Layton vs. Wright on any list I remember its a real thing and not just my childhood imagination popping in to say hello again.

Can't wait.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No chance whatsoever that Kingdom Hearts 3D's coming out this year, I kinda doubt it'll even get a Japanese release next year actually. I'd put it down for 2013.

Layton 5 and Layton vs Phoenix should come out in Japan but I don't think there's much chance we'll be seeing them this year. Layton 4 and Edgeworth 2 need to come out on the DS first.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't see why Layton vs. Phoenix couldn't come out here even prior to Layton 4, other than normal time delays for localization. So yeah, probably not this year.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Man every time I see Layton vs. Wright on any list I remember its a real thing and not just my childhood imagination popping in to say hello again.

Can't wait.

Have we gotten any confirmation that this is getting translated into English yet? Last I heard there were no solid plans.

Also, I'll be curious to see if Layton 4 gets as good a localization as the others did, now that Nintendo's no longer publishing. Chris at Wired said he saw a quick translation and it was pretty rough. Then again, that was months ago.

Edit: Also, Wired noted there's still no concrete plans to bring Layton 4 over yet. Surely nothing to worry about yet... I hope.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People who gripe about disk-swapping make me want to punch them right in the father-berries. That's the kind of useless whining which gets us stuck with 10-hour games which end just as they get started instead of stories which run upwards of 30+ hours. Should we all also whine about how stupid it is to have text instead of all voice acting because nobody wants to read in a game, right?

The only thing I care about with disk swapping is that there's no good reason to not be able to install the secondary disks to the hard drive and only need to have the first disk in the tray to actually play the game. That's how Forza 3 works, so why doesn't something like Dead Space 2 have the same thing? But otherwise, I'm a long way from being enough of a lazy fatass to object to hauling my carcass off the couch, walking ten feet, and replacing a disk after a mere several hours of gameplay. Still beats the ever-loving hell out of the extended load times from the old days.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People who gripe about disk-swapping make me want to punch them right in the father-berries. That's the kind of useless whining which gets us stuck with 10-hour games which end just as they get started instead of stories which run upwards of 30+ hours. Should we all also whine about how stupid it is to have text instead of all voice acting because nobody wants to read in a game, right?

My customers do this when renting foreign movies then returning them, complaining when a movie doesn't have dubbing. :evil:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Can't wait.

Have we gotten any confirmation that this is getting translated into English yet? Last I heard there were no solid plans.

Also, I'll be curious to see if Layton 4 gets as good a localization as the others did, now that Nintendo's no longer publishing. Chris at Wired said he saw a quick translation and it was pretty rough. Then again, that was months ago.

Edit: Also, Wired noted there's still no concrete plans to bring Layton 4 over yet. Surely nothing to worry about yet... I hope.

Wait, why would Nintendo stop publishing the Layton games? Haven't they been selling pretty well here?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Can't wait.

Wait, why would Nintendo stop publishing the Layton games? Haven't they been selling pretty well here?

I believe it has to do with Level 5 opening up their own publishing department in-house.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Can't wait.

Nintendo has a tendency to publish things that it considers unique or that will likely need help to be accepted in a different region. The fourth game in such a popular series is neither.

jothki on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Can't wait.

What V Faction said, except it's Level-5, not 5th Cell.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How exactly do you know you don't want to play them if you know nothing about them? Truthiness? And why share this in the thread? "Derp derp, those games are so bad I don't even recognise them"? I don't get it.

I know the genres those games inhabit, and I know I don't enjoy those genres, so the logic works itself out pretty simply.

As for why I posted at all, it was for my own amusement, of course.
    I forgot that an Etrian Odyssey had been announced!

Hm, I have no idea what they would do with 3D, but it could be interesting. Hopefully EO3 sold well enough over here to justify continued localization.

Fats on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

My customers do this when renting foreign movies then returning them, complaining when a movie doesn't have dubbing. :evil:

Yeah, the amount of bitching that Game X has no voice acting amazes and disgusts me. I love lack of voice acting. All the voices we can conjure in our heads are MUCH better then anything they can record.

Also, foreign movies are the bizzomb.

Magic Pink on