As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If true, it seems like a missed opportunity, but we'll see.

If you can take pictures with people as well while using it then it's fine by me.

I'm interested in this mii rpg though. I'd like to see more on that.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Infernal Engine authorized for 3DS development, the engine used for Ghostbusters and also utilized by devs like Namco Bandai and High Voltage Software.

That would be a neat engine for 3DS. Blow up a chandelier and watch the shrapnel fly into your face :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Infernal Engine authorized for 3DS development, the engine used for Ghostbusters and also utilized by devs like Namco Bandai and High Voltage Software.

Great, now I really want a Ghostbusters game on the 3DS.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    skeldare wrote: »

That'd be the best AR game. And in co-op play, if your DS senses that you're crossing streams, your cartridge explodes.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    skeldare wrote: »

That'd be the best AR game. And in co-op play, if your DS senses that you're crossing streams, your cartridge explodes.

This would be pure awesome. Actually, it would be great if that Ghostwire game actually came out on the 3DS. I'm not sure I'd be able to play it if the 3D effect works as well as some people have said. I'm a chickenshit when it comes to scary games.

EDIT: I mean a combination of Ghostwire with Ghostbusters. So I can trap 'dem ghosts.

Wraithverge on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some details on built-in StreetPass software courtesy of 3DSFocus.com:
    3DSFocus Twitter follower RichardR managed to get some good hands-on time with the Nintendo 3DS yesterday, and picked up a lot of juicy gossip, that he has kindly summarised for us. I'll be posting it over the next hour or two. To start, some brand new information about Street Pass Quest.

It begins with your Mii having a "dream" of sorts, where upon you wake up in a cage, trapped in a tower. The way out? Use Miis you have collected via StreetPass, battling in a turn-based system against increasingly powerful enemies. If you haven't collected any Miis, for 2 Game Coins, you're able to buy a cat in armour to represent you. Rich used the cat, whose attack options were Sword and Magic.

There are approximately 16-32 stages/levels/battles (Rich didn't have a chance to count them all), and he guessed that it would take two or three battles with each enemy to match their power, and that up to 3 Miis would be able to fight at once. In the first two levels Rich managed to play, he fought against ghosts.

Each attempt to rescue your captured Mii from the tower is concluded with a re-cap of the enemies you have defeated, as well as the remaining health of the foes you have begun to battle, but not yet beaten.

Street Pass Quest is built in to the Nintendo 3DS.
    Rich, our source who bagged us the lowdown on Street Pass Quest, also had the chance to take a peek at Street Pass Puzzle. However, without any Street Pass data to use, he didn't have the chance to see how it really works.

What he could say (from reading the intro text) is that Street Pass Puzzle seems to be a game where players collect pieces of a 3D puzzle (from interacting with other 3DS owners who have their Street Pass functionality switched on). The more players you interact with, the more pieces you gain, which you can then use to slowly build and complete your 3D puzzle.

Street Pass puzzle is built into every Nintendo 3DS.

Also here is a complete disassembly of the 3DS, if you're interested in stuff like that.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK,that's pretty cool.

Ah-ha! I knew the reason there couldn't be a second analog stick was because of the battery! Look at it, it takes up the right side of the 3DS.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I ordered the blue one because I'm afraid the black one will get covered with fingerprints.

CrewMember169 on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Interesting, I was wondering about the StreetPass stuff.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Right now, my biggest concern are the controls for Kid Icarus: Uprising. I really hope they decide to implement a secondary, stylus-free method of aiming somehow.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited February 2011
    I ordered the blue one because I'm afraid the black one will get covered with fingerprints.

They've got a special anti-fingerprint coating this time.

Hironori Akai: Where the top layer looks sort of transparent, we’re using something new, an anti-fingerprint UV coating.

Ehara: It’s the first time we’ve treated a system so fingerprints won’t stand out, while at the same time preserving surface strength and a lustrous texture.

Iwata: If you touch it, you’ll still leave a fingerprint, but the coating makes it less prone to fingerprints compared to conventional products and it’s easier to remove them.

Akai: Right. If you wipe it with a cloth, they come right off.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got to give the 3DS a try at a mall in my town. It was a timed demo of Nintendogs + Cats, so there isn't a whole lot to say about the game. Although the cat did seem very willing to play with any toys you brought out. I dressed the dog in the cowboy hat and added a flower atop the cat's head. It seemed like the logical thing to do.

The 3D effect kicked in almost immediately for me. I didn't have much problem keeping it in the "sweet spot" either. Adjusting the 3D slider is sort of a strange effect. It works great (I think I liked about 75% best), but it was strange looking at the screen while it happened.

I think a lot of people, especially the more casual audience, will have trouble at first with wanting to use the stylus on the top screen. When selecting a toy on the bottom screen, for example, the object immediately appears right in front of you on the top screen. Even I felt as if the natural response was to interact with it with the stylus, rather than continue using the touch screen. All I'm saying is it'll take a while for beginners to adjust.

Rex Dart on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Where are people finding out about all these local 3DS events anyway?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I heard about this one via word of mouth, but I think they're pretty common in Japan. The release is less than a week away (four days, actually), so they're really ramping up the marketing.

And honestly, the marketing is brilliantly done. Nintendo just rented a small space within the mall for three months. It's just a relatively small room with 3DS displays covering half the walls, and the rest of the space was devoted to a mini-Nintendo store with various Wii and DS hardware and games. It looked like they were making a killing while simultaneously advertising their next system.

If you want to keep up with events outside of Japan, there's this: http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/events

Rex Dart on
    edited February 2011
    Three new US trailers!

Nintendogs +cats. I daresay the cat pen at :19 is almost a confirmation you can buy cats of different breeds, it looks just like the dog pen. And while I don't know my cat breeds, I'd say that cat looks significantly different from the other ones we've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn8zz821lik

Steel FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng9PLtrGqkg

Pilotwings is looking really awesome (despite Wuhu Island).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1tkLXSyaI

And here is some really smooth SSF4 gameplay. Yes, the people in the background are static. No, it doesn't matter. Something like that could mean the difference between 60 FPS in 3D vs. 30 FPS like DoA.

UncleSporky on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That Steel Diver trailer looks real nice, but I just realised the hidden blessing of not being able to hear game sfx when I tried it out. Who decided that a single audio clip of 'fire' would be a good idea?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cross-post!

3DS American launch list.
    Each first-party game has a suggested retail price of $39.99.

First-Party:
    Pilotwings Resort
    Steel Diver
    Nintendogs + Cats

Third-Party:
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
    The Sims 3
    Madden NFL Football
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
    Ridge Racer 3D
    Super Monkey Ball 3D
    Bust-A-Move Universe
    Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
    Asphalt 3D
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    Rayman 3D
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
    And here is some really smooth SSF4 gameplay. Yes, the people in the background are static. No, it doesn't matter. Something like that could mean the difference between 60 FPS in 3D vs. 30 FPS like DoA.

That's actually really jarring for someone who's played SSF4 a great deal.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Animating background people wouldn't be much of a clock hit at all. I imagine it's more so that they aren't also 3D and create eye confusion in 3D mode.

edit: or they consider them a non-important detail for the small screen.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2011
    That's not too bad a list, earlier reports were showing weird stuff like two coming out before launch, several the day of, several a week after that, etc. Also, where's DoA? I thought the two Tecmo Koei games were going for $50? Hopefully they realized that's BS.
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Animating background people wouldn't be much of a clock hit at all. I imagine it's more so that they aren't also 3D and create eye confusion in 3D mode.

edit: or they consider them a non-important detail for the small screen.

If they just wanted them to not be 3D, they could've made them animated 2D sprites. I would guess they are still mostly polygonal 3D characters so that they do look 3D, and not flat like they would if they were faked with sprites.

I think there's more to it than the animation, too. If you can count on them to be static in one location, you can bake on the lighting and other effects, and not have to worry about players seeing them from odd angles - in other words, they can leave their backsides unmodeled and untextured.

EDIT: On watching it again they look like they might be 2D sprites, although the I-beam that guy is holding has aliasing so it might be real. Even so, the cycles saved on not rendering them in 3D could also make a big difference.

UncleSporky on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only launch title that really interests me is SSFIV, and that's because I don't own any other versions (and definitely don't feel hardcore enough to have bought a stick for the console versions). I think that'll be plenty for me until some more games come out. Hopefully the online works well, and on my college campus I can hope to get some StreetPass hits!

I'll wait to hear more about Steel Diver, but my initial gut reaction upon playing a few minutes of it is that it's visually great-looking, but I wondered if the controls would just get irritating. I'm not desperate to buy launch titles (still have DQ6 and almost all of Etrian Odyssey 3 anyway!), and especially when this shit is going to be $40 a pop. :/

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, where's DoA? I thought the two Tecmo Koei games were going for $50? Hopefully they realized that's BS.

That was my first thought. I was going to pick that up at launch :( I guess maybe I'll just grab Nintendogs + Cats instead? At least as long as the cats are not under-represented (which it's sounding like it might not be as bad as I thought)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can't wait for Steel Diver. Even the cheesy FIRE FIRE FIRE!

I wonder if Pilot Wings will be the 3DS Mario Kart as far as sales go.

Algertman on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They should have removed the people completely if they weren't going to move.

Now they just look weird. :/

Sigtyr on
    edited February 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

Has Pilot Wings been a good seller in the past? I didn't know anything about the series before the 3DS, and looking back it just seems like a fun-but-unassuming little game. And I really doubt it could achieve anything close to Mario Kart DS!

UncleSporky on
    edited February 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Mario Kart will be the 3DS Mario Kart as far as sales go. :P That PR blurb above made mention of a Mario Kart game this year! Cementing my decision to not bother with Asphalt or Ridge Racer; I'm not really that much of a racing fan, but Mario Kart and Wipeout are two of my favorite portable game series.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pilotwings and Steel Diver are it for me. SSFIV looks great, but I'm god awful at traditional fighters where button mashing doesn't work, and in my experience it doesn't work with Street Fighter. May take a look at that ghost recon simply due to the developer's pedigree, but I'm gonna wait for more word on that I think.

Zerokku on
    edited February 2011
    To an extent I'm glad I'll only be spending $80-$120 on games right at launch. I'm a patient person, I can wait for the awesome stuff like OoT/Star Fox/Paper Mario/RE Revelations/Mario Kart!

UncleSporky on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really looking forward to Pilotwings, I've missed it these last couple of generations and I have to think it would work well as a handheld game, suited to short sessions of play. I wouldn't expect it to sell gangbusters though. Wings and SF4 would be my launch window must-haves (I love Street Fighter, but have no 360/PS3).

Seol on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I think portable Street Fighter and built in stuff will hold me over for awhile. I'd buy some of these other games but not for 40 dollars, I'll only be able to afford so much dammit.

I think I have unrealistic expectations for the next MarioKart. I mean, the handheld ones are so consistently fantastic that for them to make one better than MKDS, seems like wishful thinking.

Also, I know more Zelda remakes are not at the top of peoples most wanted list, but I would pay 40 bones to play Link into the Past in three dimensions. 2D sprites with multi-layered dungeons in 3D would look amazing.

earthwormadam on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, I know more Zelda remakes are not at the top of peoples most wanted list, but I would pay 40 bones to play Link into the Past in three dimensions. 2D sprites with multi-layered dungeons in 3D would look amazing.

I'm sure LttP will be part of their "3D Classics" they're doing eventually, though Im most interested in Yoshi's island because of how that game was layered graphically already.

Zerokku on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Am I the only person who wasn't that impressed with the 3D effect? Maybe my expectations were too high.

CygnusZ on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have you actually seen it? I've been waiting for some first-hand experience that's not at a controlled Nintendo event, no chance here...stupid India...

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really want Steel Diver and Rayman 2...those are what I'm getting...but even then I won't be getting the 3DS until later in the year, so who knows what'll be out by then.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Mystic TerrapinMystic Terrapin Shelled Sorcerer Dark LandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »

I'm sure LttP will be part of their "3D Classics" they're doing eventually, though Im most interested in Yoshi's island because of how that game was layered graphically already.

Yeeeees.

Mystic Terrapin on
    Nintendo Network ID: Ghostosaurus
    3DS FC: 0774-4319-6018
    PSN:GallantJay
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I must be missing something with this Steel Diver game. That trailer made it look like a side-scrolling submarine game with occasional periscope-view shooting. This does not come across as a $40 title but more like a flash game or $1 iphone throwaway title. There are so many people putting it on their shopping lists, I'd like to know why it should put it on mine!

Wraithverge on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apparently there's an Advance Wars-type story/mission attached to it, as well as choosing which type of subs you want to use. Gameplay-wise, yeah we've only seen the sidescrolling bits and the 3D periscope parts, but that's really all they've shown, just bits.

Great games have been crafted out of simple gameplay in the past, like turned-based RPGs or point-and-click adventures. I'm taking the footage of Steel Diver that we've seen with a large scoop of optimism.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    edited February 2011
    We don't know enough about the game yet. People are putting it on their "buy" lists because of the developer's pedigree and because of numerous early impressions that peg it as being pretty fun and really pretty in 3D.

I don't know why you'd guess it would only have the longevity/value of an iPhone game, we don't have any idea of how long it is, how many missions there are, what sort of variety in gameplay we can expect (giant sea creatures? Underwater cities full of traps with guardian golems?), what sort of weapon customization or upgrades there are, whether it has an interesting overarching plot, etc.

UncleSporky on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I must be missing something with this Steel Diver game. That trailer made it look like a side-scrolling submarine game with occasional periscope-view shooting. This does not come across as a $40 title but more like a flash game or $1 iphone throwaway title. There are so many people putting it on their shopping lists, I'd like to know why I should put it on mine!

To be honest, Monkey Ball, Rayman 2, Asphalt 5 and Street Fighter IV are iPhone games. I literally bought (slightly inferior) $1 iPhone versions of each of them. I admit I'm a little puzzled by Steel Diver though - doesn't even seem to be coming out at launch in Europe, but looks very underwhelming from all the videos so far.

Incidentally, do people have any detailed impressions of the 3DS Monkey Ball? The quality's been all over the place recently, but it looks attractive because of a discounted bundle that Amazon.co.uk's doing (other options are things like Rayman and Ghost Recon) and ideal for showing off the 3D to people without it being overwhelming.

Bioptic on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I must be missing something with this Steel Diver game. That trailer made it look like a side-scrolling submarine game with occasional periscope-view shooting. This does not come across as a $40 title but more like a flash game or $1 iphone throwaway title. There are so many people putting it on their shopping lists, I'd like to know why it should put it on mine!

I'm with you. Steel Diver looks very underwhelming to me. I don't understand why so many people are excited about it.

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2011

I'm with you. Steel Diver looks very underwhelming to me. I don't understand why so many people are excited about it.

I think part of it is the strange allure of a new Nintendo IP, though I think the cynic in me will attribute most of the hype to good ol' fashioned Launch Goggles. It's a question mark for me -- I'd mark it as a "maybe," though for me most of the launch lineup is a series of maybes. I'm sure good stuff will come tumbling from the skies in the future, though, which is why I feel okay with my preorder intact.

The game does seem to look really nice visually, though; the best thing I can say about the few minutes I got to play is that the 3-D effect is awesome while playing. You get this really nice shoebox-diorama effect while playing, as if you're looking into an aquarium -- it was very nice. At worst, Steel Diver might be the Yoshi Touch 'n Go of the 3DS launch lineup. :P

Lunker on