As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial PAX East Community DVD - Download here!

MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX General Discussion
paxeast2010dvdlogolarge.png
availablenow.png
Watch our PAX East 2010 Tribute and download the torrent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB74N3-GN4E
downloadtorrent.png

IT'S HERE.
10 DVDs. Nearly 26 HOURS of content. All FREE.

OVERVIEW TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjGnwgSsOVQ#ws
DONATED FOOTAGE TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9_fixoXWE#ws
REVEALED - OUR BIG SECRET PROJECT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwnPp-atp8Q#ws

After about ten long months of work, it's finally here! It took a ridiculous amount of time and effort to put it all together, and ultimately took longer than expected, but it's kind of our flagship product, so it was well worth it! And we hope you all think so too.

Enjoy a ton of content, both from us and the community, spanning across ten dual-layer discs. Like previous Community DVD projects, you will find full recordings of every band's set during each concert along with a number of full panels, including Wil Wheaton's keynote speech, both Q&A sessions, the Make-A-Strip panel, and more. We've also done a number of themed slideshows spread out amongst the discs.

Papaprinny has re-engineered the audio for each concert as well as a few of the panels, and they sound incredible. Each band performance has two different audio tracks you'll be able to choose from as well.

In the torrent you will find each disc image in .iso format, as well as a folder containing two different types of printable disc labels. That way it's easy for you to download and to choose which discs you want in case you don't want them all, and you can burn your own copies to Dual Layer DVDs and attach the labels.

And now, here is the list of content you will find on each disc.

Disc 1 - Concerts 1
Full concert performances by Anamanaguchi and The Protomen, as well as a photo slide-show for each.

Disc 2 - Concerts 2
Full concert performances by Metroid Metal and MC Frontalot, as well as a photo slide-show for each. Enjoy the bonus footage in the Metroid Metal performance, graciously submitted to us by Metroid Metal themselves!

Disc 3 - Concerts 3
Full concert performances by Paul & Storm and Jonathan Coulton, as well as a photo slide-show for each.

Disc 4 - Concerts 4
Full concert performance by Video Game Orchestra, along with a slide show. Also, the Musical Guests Panel!

Disc 5 - The Atendee Experience
This disc contains a number of themed Ken Burns slide-shows complete with appropriate music tracks, and community submitted videos of various things from around the expo. You'll believe you were actually there!

Disc 6
Wil Wheaton's opening keynote speech and the first Gabe & Tycho Q&A panel. This disc also holds our secret project, the Voigt-Kampff test. Watch as we “interview” many PAX celebrities and other special guests, searching their ranks for fugitive Replicants.

Disc 7
This disc is full of laughter, as it holds the Mega64, Roosterteeth, and Blamimations panels.

Disc 8
On this disc you will find a panel by FoxTrot comic creator Bill Amend as well as two community submitted panels; An Awkward Hour With Rock Band Designers and the XBOX Tweetup. Oh, and there's some more cool Ken Burns slide-shows too.

Disc 9
Disc 9 includes Round 3 of the Omegathon, which of course means two groups of players playing Rock Band on stage in the main theater. There is also the Make A Strip panel, the Gabe & Tycho Media Q&A, and some more slide-shows.

Disc 10
And finally, we end up at disc 10, which holds the Pitch Your Game Idea panel, the second Penny Arcade Q&A, the Closing Ceremony (Final round of the Omegathon, which is awesome by the way), and the last of the slide-shows.

All these details and more can be found on our site: www.paxcommunitydvd.net
You can also find us on Facebook: Unofficial-PAX-Community-DVD

COMING SOON!
Unofficial PAX Prime 2010 Community DVD
This is something we honestly cannot wait to work on and show off to the community. Now that our East 2010 set is nearly complete, keep your eyes peeled for Prime 2010 trailers and previews, as we cannot wait for you all to get a glimpse of what we captured there. As we also have more of our stuff together and a much better idea of how to do what we do more efficiently, we can hopefully have this set finished in a much earlier time frame than previous projects. We will be sure to keep you all posted on it.

And just so you folks know, we are in need of volunteers!
Our mission with the Unofficial PAX Community DVD is to document as much of PAX as possible. To that end we are currently looking for people to help us make this happen! We are going to be operating with a skeleton crew at PAX East 2011, and we need folks to help us get the stuff we won't otherwise be able to get! Help us preserve this moment in time by volunteering to help us film stuff. If you would like to film with us as part of the Community DVD Crew, message either papaprinny or Coldbrew here on the PAX forum and we will all figure out how we can best cover the event and preserve it on film, all while making sure you have plenty of time to enjoy PAX.

We are additionally in need of post-production volunteers! We have made no secret of the fact that we all went to PAX 2010 and covered that event as well, and now that we are releasing the PAX East 2010 set, work will begin on the PAX Prime 2010 Community DVD. We need everything from concert video editors to sound engineers to a Youtube producer and a photography producer. (Yes, photography is a big part of the Community DVD!) If you'd like to help us get this project done fast and to have your name stapled on the final product, message either papaprinny or Coldbrew and we can tell you how you can help make the PAX Prime 2010 Community DVD happen.

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
zerzhul on

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been so excited this morning for this announcement! :D

In the spoilers below are a clip from each concert performer, near-DVD quality with our re-engineered audio. Enjoy!

Anamanaguchi performing Blackout City
    The Video Game Orchestra playing some music from Yoshi's Island
    The Protomen performing Breaking Out
    Metroid Metal performing Upper Crateria
    Paul & Storm performing Nugget Man
    Jonathan Coulton performing Skullcrusher Mountain
    Jonathan Coulton as Coultron performing The Future Soon
    MC Frontalot performing Final Boss
    Please let us know what you all think.

Also, as mentioned above, we are in dire need of volunteers to help us film during East 2011 in a few weeks. Only three of us are going, and that limits what panels/events we can cover, especially Friday and Saturday evenings due to the concerts, which all 3 of us need to attend and line up for really early. If anybody is interested in helping us out for PAX East 2011, please visit this thread.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome, been waiting for this! Thanks for all the hard work!!!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy crap guys. This is incredible.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    this looks to be amazing, can't wait

zerzhul on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, you subjected people to the VK test? Amazing! I was surprised more people didn't seem to get it, but then again who does?

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome - I can't wait for this. I'm going to force my wife and kid to watch the keynote and concerts several times before pax. I should probably clear off some harddrive space - gonna be a big download! What format will the files be in for download (I have no dvd burner on my netbook)?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome - I can't wait for this. I'm going to force my wife and kid to watch the keynote and concerts several times before pax. I should probably clear off some harddrive space - gonna be a big download! What format will the files be in for download (I have no dvd burner on my netbook)?

Format will be burnable .ISOs, 10 discs total (Dual Layer DVDs) for an approximate size of 80 Gigabytes.

MJPM on
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    75.8GB, actually.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Incredible. I very much look forward to watching and reliving some times from last year as I prepare and pack for this year's expo.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should probably clear off some harddrive space - gonna be a big download! What format will the files be in for download (I have no dvd burner on my netbook)?
    MJPM wrote: »
    Format will be burnable .ISOs

Unfortunately these dvd .iso images don't work "perfectly" in any media player that I've played them in, but they will still be viewable. If you don't know how to mount them to a virtual drive then I can write something up explaining it.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to download the whole thing. When you open the torrent you will be able to choose specifically which discs you want or don't want.

For those of you who only plan on mounting the images, I'm going to suggest using VLC player for viewing. It won't play any of the disc intros for some reason but menu navigation and pretty much everything else works fine. Of course I'd recommend burning them to dual-layer discs above all else because they work and look the best.

A side note, if anybody uses XBMC with a big screen TV or anything, playing the .iso's with that works great. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited February 2011
    I was planning on throwing them onto my external harddrive and playing them through my Seagate Freeagent Theater (if I can find the remote and power cord for the thing...) Hopefully it'll play well on that - otherwise I'll have to try to sweet talk someone into burning me a copy.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited February 2011
    Surprise! A new video! We'll be posting a new video each day up until release. This one's short, but AJ Minotti did a great job with it. It's the disc 1 intro.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFoz5j6CLlM

papaprinny on
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't have a DVD burner on my Mac, just wondering if anyone knows if they will play even if it won't look great, there are certain panels I would love to have. Either way thank you very much for doing this and can't wait to relive some of the best memories from East and check out a couple of the panels I missed.

nevermore13 on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will the disc label files be LightScribe compatible?

MagnifiedX on
    edited February 2011
    I made the labels specifically so they could be printed onto adhesive paper disc labels. I didn't really have an eye to Lightscribe when I designed them. I did, however, make some Avery full-face disc label templates in addition to providing PNGs of the labels for you to adapt to whatever template you wish.

papaprinny on
  • burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Great trailer! I can't wait to see more footage.

burnttoast45 on
    edited February 2011
    I don't have a DVD burner on my Mac, just wondering if anyone knows if they will play even if it won't look great

I'm not sure what kind of image mounting software can be used on a mac, thus haven't been able to test anything so I can't say for sure. And, like I mentioned in a previous post, I was only able to get them working at all in VLC player and Windows Media Player. WMP had some issues but the content was still viewable. Perhaps somebody else could provide better advice as I know nothing of macs.

EDIT: Updated my first post up above with direct links to the concert videos.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I don't have a DVD burner on my Mac, just wondering if anyone knows if they will play even if it won't look great

I'm not sure what kind of image mounting software can be used on a mac, thus haven't been able to test anything so I can't say for sure. And, like I mentioned in a previous post, I was only able to get them working at all in VLC player and Windows Media Player. WMP had some issues but the content was still viewable. Perhaps somebody else could provide better advice as I know nothing of macs.

The Disk Utility Application in the Utilities folder can handle all of your ISO mounting needs.

MagnifiedX on
    edited February 2011
    As we mentioned, we have more than 25 Ken Burns slide shows across the DVD set. Here's the slide show we made for Metroid Metal's set. Photos by Thomas Dougherty, Adam Merrifield, and Jason Roop. Though this video does not have them, the video on the DVD set has standard DVD subtitles that indicate who took each photo being shown.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0z_uPPFObk
    Big thanks to Metroid Metal for letting us use Brinstar!
    Be sure to come back tomorrow! We have something especially fun for you PAX forumers up on tap next!

papaprinny on
    edited February 2011
    Today we have one of the Voigt-Kampff interviews. I'll let it speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRC3ou_Os4Q

papaprinny on
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HUGE Kudos to you and your team. Amazing job from what I have seen so far. Can't wait to sit down and watch all 25+ hours of it! Keep up the great work.
    And let me know if you would like to get some footage of the 2011 Gamers Gone Wild event for the next iteration. We can provide your crew with VIP access to film or we can contribute content collected by our own video team.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited February 2011
    Sounds intriguing. I'm going to be honest and say I have no idea what the Gamers Gone Wild event is, and the possibility of us being there is going to depend on the time it's held and what it consists of. We're running a small crew to East this year and are going to be pretty busy the whole time we're in Boston, but if you want to give me the details, please do. PM might be better for that too.

Either way we would be more than happy to accept any film of the event that your team is willing to contribute.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited February 2011
    Okay, as promised, another video. This time we take a quick walk-through of the exhibit hall during the media hour.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvaP0CvcQQ

papaprinny on
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Sounds intriguing. I'm going to be honest and say I have no idea what the Gamers Gone Wild event is, and the possibility of us being there is going to depend on the time it's held and what it consists of. We're running a small crew to East this year and are going to be pretty busy the whole time we're in Boston, but if you want to give me the details, please do. PM might be better for that too.

Either way we would be more than happy to accept any film of the event that your team is willing to contribute.

PM sent

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited February 2011
    Okay folks, here's one of our crown jewels: Jonathan Coulton gets Voigt-Kampffed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_XXIXSJmDU

papaprinny on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The ending is the best part, including the audio after the first cut to black!

MJPM on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank you so much for this, there are no emoticons that can properly describe my level of joy.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited February 2011
    Okay, today you get the Protomen slide show. Big thanks to Commander for allowing us to use Breaking Out. This is easily one of my favorite slide shows. Photos by Adam Merrifield, Thomas Dougherty (NickelEdge), and Rob Alvarado.
    Edit: Oh yes. I forgot. This one's in 1080p. 8)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X52ntc0xqGo

papaprinny on
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My group will be there with 3 camcorders, filming as much as we can. We all plan on attending the concerts as well, but any other panels or events you guys need help with just let me know.

KillerMcDead on
    edited February 2011
    Getting really excited for this - I'm thinking the weekend before PAX I'll be watching the concerts and keynote enough to drive my wife and son nuts. He loves JoCo though, so I'm sure he won't mind too much.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • 3ricG3ricG New Jersey/PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might be taking some pictures this year. Would you guys want them for the 2011 DVD?

3ricG on
    rd4rhJL.png
    edited February 2011
    3ricG wrote: »
    I might be taking some pictures this year. Would you guys want them for the 2011 DVD?

Sure! If you're willing to submit them to us, we'll probably use them. There's a Flickr Pool link on our website that will allow anybody to submit their photos to us.
    My group will be there with 3 camcorders, filming as much as we can. We all plan on attending the concerts as well, but any other panels or events you guys need help with just let me know.

The second post in this thread mentioned a few things that we would love to have on film but due to our small crew there is no way we could get to them, mainly because we need to be at the concerts or in line for them. I'll post them here too just in case, but if you're all attending the concerts then don't worry about it unless you don't care about getting in line early or anything. :P
    Grifball Evolved
    Naga Theatre
    Friday, 10:30am -11:30am

OC ReMix: Making Sweet, Sweet Love to Video Game Music Since 1999
    Naga Theatre
    Friday, 6:00pm - 7:00pm

Jamspace Concert (Brentafloss, Armcannon, Powerglove) <-- This is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately we all need to be in line for the concerts probably no later than 6pm, so we cannot film this.
    Saturday, 5:00pm - 8:00pm

The LoadingReadyRunPanel
    Wyvern Theatre
    Saturday, 7:30pm -8:30pm

After Hours with Kris and Scott (Scott and Kris)
    Manticore Theatre
    Saturday, 9:30pm - 10:30pm

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited February 2011
    Just curious - did you get the impromptu Still Alive sing-a-long in the queue room waiting for the Saturday night concerts? It's easily my favorite memory of the weekend.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited February 2011
    We got some of it, but it was mostly captured by other people and a lot of it was submitted to us. I think you might actually see it, really soon. :wink:

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited February 2011
    Today's video is another slideshow, also one of my favorites. This one's called "Around Boston".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGqIxPnNrI

papaprinny on
    edited February 2011
    Just curious - did you get the impromptu Still Alive sing-a-long in the queue room waiting for the Saturday night concerts? It's easily my favorite memory of the weekend.

:whistle:

papaprinny on
    edited February 2011
    Okay folks, grab your light-up umbrellas, the acid rain is pouring and we're putting Scott Kurtz through the Voigt-Kampff test today. And boy... does he get us good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKwfbeVmmA0

papaprinny on
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    These Voigt-Kampff tests are golden.

KillerMcDead on
    edited February 2011
    As teased earlier, we have the Still Alive sing-along in the queue room, thanks to the donation of footage from three people and Evil Genius Designs. So here it is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zn_Vq8eiWk

papaprinny on