As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPad] games: Ghost Trick out. First two chapters, free!

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oooh chuck me up on the GameCentre list please: Adda

I'm at work so can't be adding everyone now, just put PA in the request if you send me one.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I added everyone on this page. My ID is Bad_Haggis

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PA'ers no good at shmups? :P

Mangaroo on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone gotten to the 20x multiplier nest in Tiny Birds yet? The next set of challenges includes "get 10 jump arrows in the first island."

Is there a trick to getting this one done?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty annoyed that there seems to be no way to completely silence tiny birds(on my ipod touch).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Louiee on gamecentre!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mmmm. New thread. Noticing a criminal lack of dungeon raid in the OP

Xaviar on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm pretty annoyed that there seems to be no way to completely silence tiny birds(on my ipod touch).

The mute switch on my iPhone mutes it... or doesn't the iPod Touch have a mute switch?

Can't you do it through the options?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Mmmm. New thread. Noticing a criminal lack of dungeon raid in the OP

Criminal, says I!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm Wordherder on Game Center.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yaaaay thread!

GC ID is Haarvest. That's 2 As.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ampix wrote: »

The mute switch on my iPhone mutes it... or doesn't the iPod Touch have a mute switch?

There's no mute switch, and the sole sound options I see in the game, have been turned completely down, but there's still sound effects, like jumping hills.

This is the only game I've found that has this problem.

Edit: I take it back, I can solve the issue by turning the hard volume buttons down, though I still think it's very silly that the app won't let me silence everything, as most apps seem to do.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ampix wrote: »

It took some finagling, but I was finally able to get my own podcasts to play in the background. I went into the game, turned the music & sound volume both to zero. Then I exited and force-quit the process. (on iTouch, double-click home button, process manager comes up at the bottom, hold the app in question until it shakes, click the minus button to kill it) When I played my music and reopened the game, it did not overrule iTunes.

I did still have the scraping noises from sound effects, but I haven't double-checked the options for the current sound volume.

Arcturas on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Final Fantasy III coming in March!!! Though the obvious question is whether it's a port of the DS version (which would be cool, but I'm trying to remember how the screens worked) or some kind of high-res-sprite job like FF1/FF2.

The DS one.
    The big question when Square Enix announced that Final Fantasy III was being remade for iPhone was sprites or polygons. Famitsu provides the answer this week: polygons. Final Fantasy III's iPhone version is a remake of the 2006 DS title, the magazine reveals.

It looks like Square Enix is remaking quite a bit, though. The game's visuals are being redone in high resolution for the iPhone version. The sound is also seeing an update. One of Famitsu's editors who was given an early play chance says that the sound is incredibly high quality.

The iPhone version's control system includes a virtual d-pad which appears wherever you choose to touch the screen. During battle, you can directly select commands then tap the enemy you'd like to attack.

Also being updated for the iPhone version is the monster viewer gallery. This has become easier to use, and the monster cards have been redesigned.

Famitsu lists the same general March release time frame for Final Fantasy III that Square Enix listed in its announcement yesterday. With Famitsu getting a first reveal, we can probably expect official online screenshots to surface later this week.

Videos on Famitsu. Looks like higher resolution textures and higher def screen are the main differences.

Screens. Compare:

hSGbv.jpg

iSrnq.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Isanyone playing gun brothers these days? After playing a lot of driving and rpg type games, mindless twin stick shooting sounded good.

If anyone wants to be gun bro bonus xp buddies, let me know.

desc on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still want to know how they're doing the bonus letter stuff from Final Fantasy 3 iOS.

Just have that crap unlocked? Game Center?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn. Tiny Wings is Number 2 on the Top Paid and Number 3 on the Top Grossing charts.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    Final Fantasy III coming in March!!! Though the obvious question is whether it's a port of the DS version (which would be cool, but I'm trying to remember how the screens worked) or some kind of high-res-sprite job like FF1/FF2.

The DS one.
    The big question when Square Enix announced that Final Fantasy III was being remade for iPhone was sprites or polygons. Famitsu provides the answer this week: polygons. Final Fantasy III's iPhone version is a remake of the 2006 DS title, the magazine reveals.

It looks like Square Enix is remaking quite a bit, though. The game's visuals are being redone in high resolution for the iPhone version. The sound is also seeing an update. One of Famitsu's editors who was given an early play chance says that the sound is incredibly high quality.

The iPhone version's control system includes a virtual d-pad which appears wherever you choose to touch the screen. During battle, you can directly select commands then tap the enemy you'd like to attack.

Also being updated for the iPhone version is the monster viewer gallery. This has become easier to use, and the monster cards have been redesigned.

Famitsu lists the same general March release time frame for Final Fantasy III that Square Enix listed in its announcement yesterday. With Famitsu getting a first reveal, we can probably expect official online screenshots to surface later this week.

Videos on Famitsu. Looks like higher resolution textures and higher def screen are the main differences.

Screens. Compare:

hSGbv.jpg

iSrnq.jpg

This is really rad! While FFIII wasn't my favorite of the remakes (I still loved IV way more), I think this will fill a really large number of people's requests for a solid, dungeon-crawl-y RPG with a cool job system. I might even double-dip if the price is reasonable (as in a Chaos Rings-trying-to-invoke-the-SE-tax sense).

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Game Center tag is "Rothgarr".

Speaking of Game Center... that achievement number... Mine's around 450 right now... I assume that's the total number of achievements I have, right? Is there a way to tell what my actual score is, though?

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    desc wrote: »

Holy crap... Gonna keep my eye on that.

Also almost cracked 10k for the first time last night in Dungeon Raid. Feels good man.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I see that scores are segregated by difficulty in Dungeon Raid, and that you only see the first few scores (so it doesn't seem possible to see, say, my best Medium score anymore). Is there a score bonus/multiplier applied at higher difficulties as well?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    I see that scores are segregated by difficulty in Dungeon Raid, and that you only see the first few scores (so it doesn't seem possible to see, say, my best Medium score anymore). Is there a score bonus/multiplier applied at higher difficulties as well?

You can check out scores by difficulty in Gamecentre. I don't know about the difficulty multiplier thing but if you find out let us know!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wondered why I got a bunch of GC requests in the last day or so. Hooray new threads! Also, looking forward to trying out Tiny Wings; looks awesome.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm looking forward to the next iPad.

This might interest some:

Sage will take you to Puerto Rico in 2011!
    http://sageboardgames.com/?p=115

The developer has a Twitter account: @coditoca

I'm excited. I don't have many friends who are interested in board games. :(

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    I still want to know how they're doing the bonus letter stuff from Final Fantasy 3 iOS.

Just have that crap unlocked? Game Center?

I really hope that they just remove the "send letters to people" requirement. if they do I might just double dip.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hey so, couple interesting updates I saw today for all you cool cats and kittens:

There's an update out there for Dungeon Raid; looks like they fixed some of the "finger-pathing" issues that would gum up your routes, and they also made it easy to cancel a route my flicking to the top of the screen... or something. They also improved battery usage, too.

But the bigger update I just saw is regarding fruit ninja. They added a bunch of new blades (which really is just a way of adding new challenges) and some of them are kinda neat. For example, to unlock the Shadow Blade you have to score 175 in Zen Mode... by holding the device upside down. It only took me about 4 tries to get the score but... wow it's trickier than you think.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's a challenge in Tiny Wings for getting to island 5 while holding the device upside down.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone a fan of Craps?

Aww Craps is pretty good. You can throw the dice with a flick or shake. Betting can either be from dragging chips or tapping the bet location on the table. It informs you of the odds and explains how it works (if you scroll down).

It is really the best Craps game I've ever played. A great way to improve your play and learn to leverage your skill.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The lack of Dungeon Raid love in the OP is criminal.

Criminal.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just found a poor mans clone of dominion called "battle of gundabad" - I've only spent a game with it, but it seems pretty much identical.

Ignore this post if you haven't played the (real life) card game called Dominion.

Of course if you like magic the gathering and but not it's business model, then check out Dominion post haste.

Lave II on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tiny Wings is pretty fun.

zilo on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gameloft is having a big random 99 cents sale for a "limited time," not sure if that's one day or not:

iPad:
    N.O.V.A. 2 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance HD
    UNO™ HD
    Assassin's Creed-Altaïr's Chronicles HD
    Gangstar: West Coast Hustle HD
    Dungeon Hunter HD
    Real Tennis HD
    Brain Challenge™ HD
    Star Battalion HD
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
    War in the Pacific
    Hero of Sparta 2 HD
    NFL 2011 HD
    Blokus™ HD
    Real Football 2010 HD/ Real Soccer 2010 HD
    Shrek Forever After™ : The Game HD
    Hero of Sparta HD
    Zombie Infection HD
    Secrets of the Vatican HD
    Frankenstein - The Dismembered Bride HD
    Chess Classics HD
    NFL 2010 HD

iPhone:
    Shrek Kart™
    Driver™
    Asphalt 5
    Fishing Kings
    Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
    Let's Golf!
    Skater Nation
    Real Football 2010/ Real Soccer 2010
    Real Football 2011/ Real Soccer 2011
    Star Battalion
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

I can't really vouch for any one way or another personally, but I'm going to give NOVA 2 and Prince of Persia a go here. I know it's not the best loved POP, but hey it's gotta be worth 99 cents.

Edit: Curses, Eternal Legacy HD isn't on sale. That's the one I've really been waiting for from Gameloft.

Darlan on
  • Options
    maybeccamaybecca Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lave II wrote: »
    So I just found a poor mans clone of dominion called "battle of gundabad" - I've only spent a game with it, but it seems pretty much identical.

Ignore this post if you haven't played the (real life) card game called Dominion.

Of course if you like magic the gathering and but not it's business model, then check out Dominion post haste.
    Hey, it's not a clone, it's a totally unique game. They doubled all the victory points! And changed "coins" to "power"! Well, except for the bits where they forgot to file that particular serial number off.

I want more deckbuilding iPhone games. I don't really like Dominion, but Thunderstone would be brilliant.

maybecca on
  • Options
    BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to jump on the game center train.

My nick is hangnail1793 and i tend to be a high scorer and have tons of games.

Bloodfart on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everyone please add Haarvest to your Gamcenter :D

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    desc wrote: »

This is now my "omg when?!" game, the idea of being mercs and taking missions that change daily? I will be immersed!

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    BloodfartBloodfart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So i got dungeon raid a while ago, played it a few times and decided it was crap cause the graphics aren't hot and don't have the sharp style of something like angry birds.

After reading you people talking so much about it I started playing it on harder and now realize it's a near perfect one-handed game for elevator waits and other bite sized downtimes!

Are the scores people are attaining on harder difficulty? My best is 11k.

Bloodfart on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank you american pals for terrifying me and my girlfriend with the crazy bugle sound for gamecentre invites..... traumatic when it goes off at 3am!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
This discussion has been closed.