As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Don't Know JACK -- Get it for consoles, not PC. OP has more details.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can imagine online play for this being a bit of a clusterfuck if you're not playing people you know. Once you've played through a round, you can pretty much replay it online and cruise through with all right answers. Could lead to some trolls out there.

That being said, I opted for the 360 version because the Big Button controller compatibility intrigued me. I figured it was the easiest way to get people that have never touched a videogame to play, as it looks much less intimidating than a Wii remote or 360 controller.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited February 2011
    The avatar unlocks are fantastic thusfar.

Edit: Also it sucks that everyone needs a Xbox account to use their own name.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the heck kind of pants are those?

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What the heck kind of pants are those?

It's not, it's "A Fashionable Men’s Pant".

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As in Singular.

Also, me and my friend the other night got the "Laugh at a cheap joke" achievement.
    How did it know?!?!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The avatar unlocks are fantastic thusfar.

Edit: Also it sucks that everyone needs a Xbox account to use their own name.

Houn on
    edited February 2011
    Ohmigod you're EVIL ME.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2011
    Whoops, apparently when you're hosting a game online saying "you're ready" starts the game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought this game for a dinner party this coming Wednesday since the folks like party game like things. Then I remembered most of them have a shitty sense of humor. Here's hoping it goes well.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Okay Jack Attack online is bullshit. I've pressed stuff the moment it shows up and folks seem to get it first.

Edit: I'm so confused...it's treating my gamertag and name as separate entities.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't recomend online play for this at all. I've done it a couple times and the Jack Attack is not very well done at all.

I did like that we both got to participate in the Dis or Dat though.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay Jack Attack online is bullshit. I've pressed stuff the moment it shows up and folks seem to get it first.

Edit: I'm so confused...it's treating my gamertag and name as separate entities.

It does that, because it will track every single game you ever play under the gamertag, but it will track games you play under your entered name under that name. So, if you sometimes play as "Joe" and sometimes as "Carl," those will be two seperate tracked profiles, but both will be combined under your gamertag.

Also, regarding your difficulty with the Jack Attacks. Are you using the Scene It controllers? I seem to recall you said you picked some up. Make sure you're pressing directly in the center of the big button. Otherwise, you're pressing a d-pad direction, and that's not going to register.

Barring that, online play is fucking bullshit anyway. I guarantee you this shit isn't perfectly synced.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Poor Timmy, lost his parents at 42.

Tsk tsk tsk.

Docshifty on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought this game for a dinner party this coming Wednesday since the folks like party game like things. Then I remembered most of them have a shitty sense of humor. Here's hoping it goes well.

Well the game was a success! I didn't even open that game till tonight just in case I spoil any of the questions.

Although the GiantBomb quicklook did ruin me on that episode cause I could not choose the wrong answers for fun.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh wow, a Dark Eye game? I didn't realize they still made those.

Deep skills system with no manual ahoy!

enc0re on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    enc0re wrote: »
    Oh wow, a Dark Eye game? I didn't realize they still made those.

Deep skills system with no manual ahoy!

Methinks you posted in the wrong thread.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is where that post went! I thought it hadn't posted.

enc0re on
  • HaukyHauky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How do avatar awards work if you're not on your console at the time of unlocking? I unlocked the pants and shirt while using my gamertag at my GF's place. Am I gonna have to reinstall them or something when I get back home?

Hauky on
    bobross.png
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hauky wrote: »
    How do avatar awards work if you're not on your console at the time of unlocking? I unlocked the pants and shirt while using my gamertag at my GF's place. Am I gonna have to reinstall them or something when I get back home?

I'm pretty sure avatar awards are linked directly to the Gamertag - it should just show up automatically.

rufo on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, "Local Newspaper"/"Depraved Sex Act" was the most hilarious DisOrDat yet. The entire room was fucking rolling.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am PISSED that I missed my chance to win a Banana Toaster last night; I realized what the answer was (and it wasn't as obvious as some others) too late.

I did, however, win a Pant and my BloodCo award. I love that feature. :)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I did, however, win a Pant

No matter how many times I see this or a variation of this, it never fails to make me laugh.

A Pant is its own reward.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • HaukyHauky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    rufo wrote: »
    Hauky wrote: »

I'm pretty sure avatar awards are linked directly to the Gamertag - it should just show up automatically.

For the record, I copied my GT back onto my Xbox, then booted up YDKJ (just went to the main menu) while signed in, and one of those things put my rewards on my console. So at the least, it seems no shenanigans are required. :^:

Hauky on
    bobross.png
  • Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have pulled out so many wins from behind during the Jack Attack, it is ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I haven't received any hate messages.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Since I've established my dominece among my friends in the trivia genre, I have the following limits: no stealing dis-or-dats and I must wait till the last possible moment on a Jack Attack to buzz in.

I still win.
    Though last night my brother got DoD master on the Dali Lahma or Taylor Swift Tweets. Surprised both of us.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Loving this, as good as the originals.

Just kind of wish there was a way to randomize questions given (unfortunately, wouldn't work given some of the episodes), and the Jack Attack was worth less dosh, because it feels like the first 10 questions are inconsequential sometimes.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Davoid wrote: »
    Loving this, as good as the originals.

Just kind of wish there was a way to randomize questions given (unfortunately, wouldn't work given some of the episodes), and the Jack Attack was worth less dosh, because it feels like the first 10 questions are inconsequential sometimes.

The game was really designed for 4 people. I've never seen one person get more than 3 attacks in a single game, and even then he buzzed in wrong on one, so only gained $8k total. And we usually have a pretty decent spread going into the Jack Attack.

Maybe the group of dudes I play with is just perfectly balanced for the game. *shrug*

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I actually saw a copy of the DS version on the shelf at GameStop while I was picking up my Celebi.

Two players max, using the same DS (one used the D pad, the other the buttons). WTF. Way to phone that one in, guys.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, there's a wild imbalance between skills if someone is winning purely by the Jack Attack. It helps to have more people playing who like useless trivia than a couple of people who may have better reaction times than useless knowledge.

joshofalltrades on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually I'm not surprised that everything tends to hang on the Jack Attack. If you have anyone who tends to take a stab at things they aren't sure of, Jack Attack will screw them over quick. It's worth a little too much money, I think the game would be better balanced if you won $3000 for a correct answer but only lost $2000 for a wrong one, something like that.

I played like 4 games last night with 2 other friends. I went into the Jack Attack behind them in almost every game, and I ended up winning by $1000 or less every single game. Some of it was kind of luck though, earlier I had some really lucky guesses through flawed reasoning that kept me in the running.

Dis or Dats are the best part of every game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I agree with most of that. $4000 means if somebody manages to get all of the questions they get $28,000, provided they get none wrong. This happened in a game with my wife and she was pissed, since she was ahead at the time.

I think Dis or Dat should be worth more and Jack Attack should be worth less, but getting a wrong answer should be pretty punishing or everybody would be buzzing in anytime anything remotely right popped up.

joshofalltrades on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like the idea that you would lose less than you would win because it encourages people to try and guess even if they aren't sure, it's not too big a hit. And it's also fun to see other people's wrong guesses, my friend buzzed in that Yosemite Sam wears a yarmulke (which may have been a slip of the finger).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited February 2011
    Two Things:

1. Everytime we play, either I dominate the game, and then the Jack Attack, or I blow the game, and come back in the Jack Attack. We're all pretty bad, though, so it's rare for anyone to have a score above $5k going into the Attack, so the outcome really does hinge on who can read and buzz in fastest.

2. The saga of 4. Holy shit. This is AMAZING.

Houn on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times over, but I want to make sure since the OP has confused me.

The official word, as far as I knew, was that the Buzz controllers on PS3 were not supported by YDKJ. But there's this statement in the OP:
    The superior versions of this game are probably the PS3 and 360.

Big button controllers have support here, but not on PC. Additionally, the layout changes when the game autodetects you are using your nerdy trivia controller in order to make things easier for you. A nice touch, to be sure.

What are the big button controllers for the PS3, if not the Buzz buzzers?

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited February 2011
    "Big Button Controllers" == Scene It controllers.

Houn on
    edited February 2011
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times over, but I want to make sure since the OP has confused me.

The official word, as far as I knew, was that the Buzz controllers on PS3 were not supported by YDKJ. But there's this statement in the OP:

Big button controllers have support here, but not on PC. Additionally, the layout changes when the game autodetects you are using your nerdy trivia controller in order to make things easier for you. A nice touch, to be sure.

While the "Big Button" controllers work on the 360 version of the game, there's no PS3 equivalent to those that is compatible. For whatever reason Jellyvision didn't support the Buzz controllers, though there's likely more of those out in consumers hands than the big button controllers.

scene-it-big-button-pad-2.jpg

Personally I bought a Scene It game specifically for those controllers to use with YDKJ, and I'm still trying to find a complete list of what games work with 'em, with little luck.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

While the "Big Button" controllers work on the 360 version of the game, there's no PS3 equivalent to those that is compatible. For whatever reason Jellyvision didn't support the Buzz controllers, though there's likely more of those out in consumers hands than the big button controllers.

scene-it-big-button-pad-2.jpg

Personally I bought a Scene It game specifically for those controllers to use with YDKJ, and I'm still trying to find a complete list of what games work with 'em, with little luck.

As far as I know your list o' games is:
    Scene-It
    Scene-It 2
    UNO
    1 vs 100 (when it was around)
    Wits and Wagers
    YDKJ

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    Are those wireless? The pictures make it look like they are, but I thought all 3rd party peripherals had to be wired.

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2011
    Kinda. They have a wired "base" receiver. Looks like it's IR to me, you have to point in the general direction of the receiver for it to work.

Houn on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks a ton, maximumzero, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything like that for the PS3. Looks like when I pick this up it'll be for 360 with Scene It controllers, too bad about the lack of Buzz buzzer support.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png