As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Mos Eisley [CHAT]ina

TamTam Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Artist's Corner
vhbaso.jpg

edit: the thread title was originally "Non, [CHAT] ne regrette rien!"

Tam on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At first I was like "man, another french styled [chat] thread.

But then I was like "badass Sylvester. I approve"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weird, I've got 'La Vie en Rose' ready to watch right now. Are you spying on me, Tam?

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SO, this is awesome.

This

ninjai on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just spent the night chattin away with my favorite photgrapher while we played starcraft.

I dont even

wakkawa on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    My brother-in-law if flying in for a visit today. Should be an interesting week.

Grifter on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was snuggling my kitten on my way out the door this morning. My older cat glared at him, freaked the kitten out, and he climbed up my face and down the back of my head. So now I have bandages everywhere.

My coworker asked if I got mugged on the way home last night.
    I said yes.

Enc on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    So, you now look like Marv from Sin City?

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Not far off from that, yeah. Pretty much just eyes and above. Little adorable monster got me right below the eyebrow.

On more on-topic sort of thing: for a novice with drawing, is working on poses and volume all I should be focusing on for a few weeks? I've been reading a bunch of the resources in the Q&A, and doing a lot of practice with 30 second gesture via posemaniacs, longer drawing with posemaniacs for general figure, and trying to figure out how to draw shapes.

What else are good starting exercises?

Enc on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gonna be honest, I really, really don't like posemaniacs. The poses are never quite natural, the 100% visible musculature obfuscates a lot of the subtleties of the form, its best use is maybe doing quick reference work but that's really about it.

A good starting exercise would be doing exactly what you're doing now, but with some of the other resources linked in the Q&A thread, like this and this.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, february is almost over. This month went by entirely too fast.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Gonna be honest, I really, really don't like posemaniacs. The poses are never quite natural, the 100% visible musculature obfuscates a lot of the subtleties of the form, its best use is maybe doing quick reference work but that's really about it.

A good starting exercise would be doing exactly what you're doing now, but with some of the other resources linked in the Q&A thread, like this and this.

ImageAfter is pretty cool, I have to say. Going to work with this for a few days I think.

Thanks!

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    F87 wrote: »

oh hell yes

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The part at ~1:00 - 1:10 and on just gives me chills... and makes me want to climb a mountain and just unleash a mighty roar.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I hope they focus upon the real world more than the gate dimensions this time. Oblivion really made me dislike it aesthetically whenever I had to go to the hell worlds. Really excited about this one. Nords always seemed like they needed more love than they got in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I liked Oblivion but dealing with all the gates got a little old after a while. I haven't heard of any other dimensions in Skyrim. Just dragons and nords! Plus the NPC dialogue in Oblivion was just ... uhg. But they said they have 40+ voice actors this time, so it should be better, right?

And the character models/animations look a ton better, too.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A viking helmet with every preorder, that is all I ask for.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm growing my beard as we speak.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    there won't be any oblivion gates this time
    at least not into Dagon's realm
    that shit got sealed

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I bet there is one hidden in the southernmost part of the Skyrim map, filled with annoying tentacle trees and weapons too heavy to lift yet too vendor-able to leave behind. They like to do cross over things, like with the Dark Elf town in Oblivion.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ooooh

"The player's goal is to stop Alduin, the dragon god "world eater" mentioned in the recently translated Elder Scrolls V poem."

F87 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    it's interesting the different interpretations of the same gods
    Alduin is Akatosh who was the savior in the last game
    Enc wrote: »
    I bet there is one hidden in the southernmost part of the Skyrim map, filled with annoying tentacle trees and weapons too heavy to lift yet too vendor-able to leave behind. They like to do cross over things, like with the Dark Elf town in Oblivion.

what

where was the dunmer town in oblivion?

also, no, not likely to be Oblivion gates anywhere, since they all collapsed at the conclusion of the main storyline in Oblivion

Tam on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh hey look I'm not jailed any more.

Hey one of you watts guys pm me about watts.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    F87 wrote: »
    The part at ~1:00 - 1:10 and on just gives me chills... and makes me want to climb a mountain and just unleash a mighty roar.

I like the part where the guy was chopping some wood.

Look at him go!

Fugitive on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hated oblivion but that actually looks sort of funtimes.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Here's to hoping that the environment is as cool as morrowind was

And that they release a construction set for it. The promises of a "brand new engine" has me crossing my fingers.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Elder Scrolls games are just full of so much haughty, overblown fantasy bullshit, and I don't think they've ever had a character that stepped beyond the scope of a two-dimensional NPC.

But maybe that's what makes them successful open-world games. You feel like you are the only important person on the planet because you actually have a character with motivations and history.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    whatchoo mean by overblown fantasy bullshit Fug?

are you referring
    to things such as those many tomes of lore?

Tam on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I saw your truck in my parking lot FedEx! Give me my package! No more delivery exceptions!

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Tam wrote: »

are you referring

The tomes are one thing, but it's kind of expected that any self-respecting fantasy world is going to be stuffed to the brim with back story and context.

What I'm talking about are the flat, uninspired characters that populate the world. All of the NPC's felt like the safest kinds of set-pieces. Beggar's didn't really seem tragic or interesting, they were just beggars. And you were less-likely to feel sorry for the fact they were sleeping on a dirty blanket in the street, and more like to go into a jealous murder-spree because they even had a place to sleep that didn't require slaughtering a bandit camp.

Sailors felt like they were on the cusp of breaking into song. Crazy people were usually the fun, endearing kind of crazy. Guards were things in armor that were impossible to kill and showed up whenever you meant to talk to someone but accidentally grabbed an apple off the table in front of them. It seemed like, outside of the fact that hell portals were opening up every 15 feet, everyone was pretty happy with their situation no matter where you went, and the ones who weren't barely registered because, again, they were really flat to begin with.

It was the same kind of idyllic fantasy world that you see in the genre again and again.

Morrowind kind of had this problem, but the world as a whole was interesting enough that you didn't notice.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got five art books in the mail today. yaaaayy

NibCrom on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

are you referring

The tomes are one thing, but it's kind of expected that any self-respecting fantasy world is going to be stuffed to the brim with back story and context.

What I'm talking about are the flat, uninspired characters that populate the world. All of the NPC's felt like the safest kinds of set-pieces. Beggar's didn't really seem tragic or interesting, they were just beggars. And you were less-likely to feel sorry for the fact they were sleeping on a dirty blanket in the street, and more like to go into a jealous murder-spree because they even had a place to sleep that didn't require slaughtering a bandit camp.

Sailors felt like they were on the cusp of breaking into song. Crazy people were usually the fun, endearing kind of crazy. Guards were things in armor that were impossible to kill and showed up whenever you meant to talk to someone but accidentally grabbed an apple off the table in front of them. It seemed like, outside of the fact that hell portals were opening up every 15 feet, everyone was pretty happy with their situation no matter where you went, and the ones who weren't barely registered because, again, they were really flat to begin with.

It was the same kind of idyllic fantasy world that you see in the genre again and again.

Morrowind kind of had this problem, but the world as a whole was interesting enough that you didn't notice.

Good thing dragon age doesn't really have that issue :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KswnjMa-MQ

No clue what the sound is like on this, but here it is anyway.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So in the Imperium area of Oblivion, there are dozens of "old" fortresses that have been abandoned. And each is filled to the brim with bandits. Old tower in the backwoods? Bandits. Random camp in the forest? Bandits. Walk around town at night? Bandits.

I think there were more bandits in the capital region of the Empire than there were citizens of the Empire.

The knights of the nine expansion made the game a lot more fun. Then at least you had this sort of holy crusade thing driving your story line. I had no real inclination of saving the empire from the evil Fae guy. Seemed to me the whole thing needed a good cleansing, as the bandit problem probably stemmed form overpopulation.

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know how reliable it is, but someone in G&T said that a construction set is going to be released for skyrim, so I'm okay with the game now.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had stopped playing oblivion when a bunch of games I'd been longing for finally got into my hands. A while ago I was thinking about playing oblivion again because i've been looking for something to fill the void of a dragonage that I couldn't afford yet.

Then my xbox red ringed....

sigh

bebarce on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One of these days I am gonna front the money for a plane ticket to Vancouver, if only because the women there are jaw-dropping gorgeous.

Godfather on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys guys! http://www.behance.net/gallery/MICROMACHINA/1022673
    Bugs!

also @Skyrim
    I've never been this excited to kill deer!

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

are you referring

ah ok
    yes, I agree

though I was having fun in the game anyway and that mitigates things somewhat

Skyrim definitely looks like it'll deliver on its graphical aspects, but I guess it remains to be seen whether their narrative approach changed as well

edit: you mind if I take this over to the SE thread? or you could if you want

Tam on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man if Bioware teamed up with Bethesda I'd never have to pay money for new games only that one they'd produce. I tried the DA2 demo the other day and everything was perfect except I felt cramped and the environment was too gray for my taste - bethesda spice anyone?
    Anyways they both make awesome games and this year will definitely put me in deep shit moneywise... Dragon Age 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Star wars: the old republic... Ffffffffffff

m3nace on
This discussion has been closed.