As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I for one will be first in line for the new Kevin James, Joe Rogan, and Bas Rutten comedy MMA movie. Kingdom of Ultimate Power was too good.

Also, you guys got James Te Huna's back tomorrow right? Guy is fighting for the Christchurch quake victims:
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-Ultimate-Fighter-Te-Huna-gives-purse-to-Chch-quake-appeal/tabid/415/articleID/199858/Default.aspx

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »
    People who want into the fight camp need to PM me, and they need to give me their MMAplayground names.

I sent mojojoeo an invite, but Inquisitor77 does not exist on the website.

On mmaplayground? I just sent him a PM a bit ago reminding him to sign up.

PMs sent to both of you just now. Hope it's not too late!

Inquisitor77 on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was instructed by DUE to stop in and say "hi".

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »

What are you talking about?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So we just make our picks on mma playground after joining camp?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited February 2011

DUE told me to come in and say hi.

And look at you all jailed again.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh jesus christ. Fitch may be blowing it by being vegan.

Kenny florian via http://www.bloodyelbow.com/
    "I know you mentioned him walking around at 200lbs, that is definitely the case. However, I just was with him at the last UFC in Vegas [UFC 126] he's actually walking around at 176lbs," Florian stated. "He's a vegan now. He's 100 percent vegan. He's changed his whole lifestlye. And the first thing I said to him 'Man, you're looking pretty darn skinny' and he said, 'yeah, I'm a vegan now and I'm 176lbs right now'. That is actually I hear maybe even a concern with people in his own camp."

Look, eat how ever you want as a normal person. Super athletes have crazy dietary needs- this could be going very very wrong.

edit : Correction - he apparently eats some fish. But if florian is right about the weight it still worries me and my pick for him.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited February 2011

DUE told me to come in and say hi.

And look at you all jailed again.

I don't know who or what DUE is, broseph.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DasUberEdward, I think?
    Maybe he said you were due in the thread. 8-)

815165 on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm this Fitch news may cause me to waffle on my pick from BJ to Fitch now back to BJ...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    I for one will be first in line for the new Kevin James, Joe Rogan, and Bas Rutten comedy MMA movie. Kingdom of Ultimate Power was too good.

Also, you guys got James Te Huna's back tomorrow right? Guy is fighting for the Christchurch quake victims:
    http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-Ultimate-Fighter-Te-Huna-gives-purse-to-Chch-quake-appeal/tabid/415/articleID/199858/Default.aspx

No, because he's fighting a Swede. The only Swede in the UFC.

I will have my Swedish heart broken if Gustafsson loses tomorrow :(

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i dont even

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XGGrgd5tAo&feature=player_embedded

Edit:
    Also, there is this gem from our good friend, Chael Sonnen:

"Here's a little something for you "pocket protector/number cruncher" types: I hit Anderson Silva with more unanswered, undefended strikes than any fighter has landed on an opponent in the history of combat sports. Go count 'em up, Poindexters.

I struck him more times than Quasimodo struck the church bell at Notre Dame. I hit him so many times that I stopped fighting because my fists bouncing off his melon were ringing so loudly that it sounded like a bell, and I thought that the round, and the fight, were over. Actually, that's not true--I actually stopped out of mercy and boredom.

God knows, if he hit me with a TENTH of the undefended shots I hit him with, the ref would have pulled him off me faster than a meth-head pulls the foil off a dozen shoplifted Dristan tablets. I hit him enough to have the fight stopped FIVE TIMES, in FIVE separate rounds.

Therefore, I consider myself 5-1 against him, even allowing for his tainted triangle which only came after I thought the fight was over, and I had already turned the side of his head into a bowl of porridge with my fists."

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Oh jesus christ. Fitch may be blowing it by being vegan.

Kenny florian via http://www.bloodyelbow.com/
    "I know you mentioned him walking around at 200lbs, that is definitely the case. However, I just was with him at the last UFC in Vegas [UFC 126] he's actually walking around at 176lbs," Florian stated. "He's a vegan now. He's 100 percent vegan. He's changed his whole lifestlye. And the first thing I said to him 'Man, you're looking pretty darn skinny' and he said, 'yeah, I'm a vegan now and I'm 176lbs right now'. That is actually I hear maybe even a concern with people in his own camp."

Look, eat how ever you want as a normal person. Super athletes have crazy dietary needs- this could be going very very wrong.

edit : Correction - he apparently eats some fish. But if florian is right about the weight it still worries me and my pick for him.

I think there's an olympic runner of some sort that is vegan. Its very hard to make it work, but it can be done. Not a good sign that he's lost a lot of weight though, unless it is part of a plan to not have to cut weight... which seems really strange.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Maybe it's because I come from a kickboxing background and not a wrestling one, but if I hit someone the most times anyone's ever hit someone and still lost I'd keep quiet about that.

815165 on
  • XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The vegan thing almost makes me want to change my pick for this fight. If Fitch doesn't have a big strength advantage over BJ he'll have a bitch of a time even getting the fight to the ground not to mention controlling BJ once it goes there.

Xrdd on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dammit Fitch...now I have to go eat more animals just to make up for you...

PS - BJ still gonna lose.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I come from a kickboxing background and not a wrestling one, but if I hit someone the most times anyone's ever hit someone and still lost I'd keep quiet about that.

:lol:

It's taken Sonnen this long to come up with something, he has been busy of course with his many criminal accusations and pissing hot etc... As it is Dana is now saying "we don't care how corrupt you are, come back when you have beaten this thing" so he needs to start prepping for his re-match by talking shit.

Thats the thing, if Silva gave a fuck and could speak English half as well he could troll the fuck out of Chael with all that material.

Venkman90 on
    edited February 2011
    Silva can speak decent enough English, he just chooses not to. It's safer for him to have that translation buffer.

Honestly, if Silva had a different personality or spoke more fluently, Sonnen might no longer be a viable commodity. There are plenty of guys out there who would have no problem saying straight up that he's a fucking crook, cheated people out of their money, and couldn't pass a pissing test to boot. Try having a guy like Dan Henderson say that enough times, and maybe even Dana White would have to reconsider what kind of image Sonnen projects about the sport.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited February 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »

No, because he's fighting a Swede. The only Swede in the UFC.

I will have my Swedish heart broken if Gustafsson loses tomorrow :(
    Well, forget you then, you know who else is going to have Te Huna's back?
    Gustafsson.

When he RNCs him in the 1st round. :(

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh damn in day 2 of dana's 127 vlog kos says that he still can't feel half of his face

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silva can speak decent enough English, he just chooses not to. It's safer for him to have that translation buffer.

Honestly, if Silva had a different personality or spoke more fluently, Sonnen might no longer be a viable commodity. There are plenty of guys out there who would have no problem saying straight up that he's a fucking crook, cheated people out of their money, and couldn't pass a pissing test to boot. Try having a guy like Dan Henderson say that enough times, and maybe even Dana White would have to reconsider what kind of image Sonnen projects about the sport.
    You do know why he failed the drug test...right?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    oh damn in day 2 of dana's 127 vlog kos says that he still can't feel half of his face

That'll teach him to keep his hands up, I guess.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    even fitch's videos make me wanna sleep
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPGFnGfsG-o

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited February 2011
    Even the video's preview image makes me wZZZ

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »

I'll be the first to admit I don't know why he failed the drug test, I know he was appealing it but I'm not sure what came from that.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God, that guitar music was an awful choice... might as well made some kind of application that makes the air like blankets in the room you watch that video.

But, I will give him this, I like my oatmeal lumpy too. I'm sticking with Jon "Wet Blanket" Fitch, we're oatmeal buddies!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited February 2011
    TehSpectre wrote: »

I'll be the first to admit I don't know why he failed the drug test, I know he was appealing it but I'm not sure what came from that.

Here's the basics from Wikipedia:

Sonnen appealed his suspension on the grounds he had a medical reason for the elevated testosterone. He was diagnosed with hypogonadism in 2008, and takes synthetic testosterone injections twice a week due to this condition.

The California State Athletic Commission decided to reduce his suspension to six months because he failed to properly disclose this before his fight. Additionally, the testosterone found in his blood exceeded the levels needed for his documented medical condition. His suspension will now end on March 2, 2011.

It's all a bit crazy, though. Chael said he gave the information to Keith Kizer multiple times and also said that he told commission members at a weigh-in (I think it was a weigh-in...it's been a while since I heard the story) that he was taking testosterone injections and that his levels would probably be a little high.

I also heard (and read) more than one report that the commission was acting extremely inept about the situation the entire time they were questioning Sonnen. You can probably find some reports if you look for them.

I have no idea how much of what either side says is true

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    i watched most of the hearing and it was pretty clear the california commission was looking for something to hang chael on
    after he had demonstrated that he had a legitimate reason for taking the supplements and had informed the commission in various ways about his usage, they decided that because he didn't write it down in a health survey that was given to all the fighters prior to 117 that he did not inform the commission properly. For them to reduce his suspension to 6 months was kinda bullshit. If they believed he was guilty he shoud've been given the full 12, and if not, then the whole thing should be tossed (which was argued vehemently by one of the members of the commission but thoroughly ignored by the others when it came down to it).

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Free Chael Sonnen

adytum on
    edited February 2011
    So Paul Daley missed weight, again, for his fight tomorrow so now it's a non title fight.

Jeebus, man.
    Latest reports from the Bamma weigh-ins have confirmed that Paul "Semtex" Daley has failed to make weight.

After coming in at 2lbs over weight at the weigh-in, Semtex was given a further hour to drop the 2lbs. Unfortunately for everybody it seems that it wasn't possible and Semtex only managed to drop another pound.

Paul Daley announced before the weigh-in on his facebook page that there had been an issue with the sauna that he was using.

More reports are confirming that Paul Daley is now refusing to appear at the press conference.

The sauna excuse is super weak, too. I know like five places within a ten minute drive he could have gone to.

edit: man he was 170.4 on the second attempt, what the hell

815165 on
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Free Chael Sonnen
    I'll take one.

edited February 2011
    DasUberEdward, I think?
    Maybe he said you were due in the thread. 8-)

DasUberEdward is correct.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    These weigh ins are weird.

"Chris Lytle weighs in at...77.2!"

Bisping took a TAAAAAAAALL drink of water after getting weighed.

Fitch weighed in at 77.2. Looked cut, but not exhausted.
    BJ weighed in at... 76. With his jeans still on. And he was not Happy Buddha Penn.

edited February 2011

BJ weighed in at... 76. With his jeans still on. And he was not Happy Buddha Penn.

yes but was he focused

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

yes but was he focused
    He looked pretty psyched. Even butted heads with Fitch at the face-vase-off.

edited February 2011
    If Sots beats Siver, he'll be on an 8-0 undefeated streak in the UFC, which includes 2 Fights of the Night in the past year.

Where's the respect for my Aussie homeboy? Time for a title shot or something. At least a #1 contender fight with someone. I hope he wrecks Siver within 2 rounds and puts on another dominating performance.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    He's super entertaining but the only really notable UFC win he has so far is Lauzon, needs a fight or two before a title shot assuming he beats Siver.

815165 on
    edited February 2011
    I'm thinking Sots vs. Guillard if Sots gets the win.

Winner of that fight should get the next title shot after the winner of Pettis/Guida gets theirs.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    I just realized that this fight card:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/Ufc-129-poster.jpg

...is going to have Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida on it.

You know you're sitting on a stacked flippin' card when you can't even find room to put Couture's name on the poster.

I can't wait for April.

ChillyWilly on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's super entertaining but the only really notable UFC win he has so far is Lauzon, needs a fight or two before a title shot assuming he beats Siver.

Joe Daddy and Kurt Pellegrino are also notable, as is his early career win over Shinya Aoki's balls.

adytum on